• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: PS4 Pro & PC High-Res support detailed

GHG

58GB? Yeh I think I'll wait until we see some comparisons to decide if its worth a download or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What the fuck.

That's probably a mistake and supposed to refer to the game taking up 58GB in total with the texture pack applied as the current size of the game and all DLC is just under 35GB.

StereoVsn

Your 970 isn't Bethesda's recommended 1080 though.

Game doesn't perform any better than it did at launch. Absolutely not gonna perform better with whatever the hell this 60GB texture pack is.
Eh, this is false. Fallout 4 runs fine especially if you turn down godrays and shadows a bit. These recommendations are on another level.

Eh, this is false. Fallout 4 runs fine especially if you turn down godrays and shadows a bit. These recommendations are on another level.
Last time I played was that island DLC, and everybody was having problems with performance on that island.

The game can run "fine" and still not be improved since launch. Bethesda games are the definition of "fine".

Still runs like shit compared to most other current gen games, especially considering the arbitrary 60fps cap because their programmers don't know what the hell they're doing with physics.

JP

I've tried so very hard to enjoy this game since it launched without it really doing anything positive for me. I haven't tried for about a year so I suppose this means it's time to give it another go.

joeblow

Is an 8GB card the real requirement? I have a Sapphire Tri-X 390 which has 8GB of VRAM. On paper, would there be any issue for not meeting spec?

Shredderi

Lol at that size it would have to be sharp as FUCK compared to the already sharp as fuck looking fanmade stuff that is only like few gigabytes. Also runs great on my 970 (relatively). Apparently this would tank my performance and take really fucking lot of space. I remember Skyrim's equivalent. Not optimistic about this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As someone that doesn't speak AMD language, can you clarify? I have a 1080.

The 490 doesn't yet exist, but that doesn't appear to be a typo as the 480 trades blows with the 1060 rather than the 1080. I'd wager it's just Bethesda's way of saying "Comparable AMD GPU".

Worried because Fallout 4s higher settings for godways are a performance hog with a barely noticeable visual improvement.

I would hope they would try make PS4 Pro performance better then base PS4.

Jake2by4

So when is the promised mod support on PS4 gonna drop?

Q88rJ.gif

LowSignal

I'm more excited about the PC update, i'd like to see if they do better than what the community has already done. I think Fallout 4 is $20 at Gamestop for XB1 and PS4 right now so it's a great time to play it if you haven't already.

Massicot

The 490 doesn't yet exist, but that doesn't appear to be a typo as the 480 trades blows with the 1060 rather than the 1080. I'd wager it's just Bethesda's way of saying "Comparable AMD GPU".

Alright. Thanks for clearing it up! Whenever I have to read AMD stuff I just see numbers and letters sometimes.

Dinda

Why are you guys so suprised about the size of the texture pack? Textures are always a big part of the game size. The original textures are probably something like 15 GB without dlc. So no wonder the high res are quite a bit bigger.

Having said that, the texture pack will probably be badly optimized like the one for Skyrim was.

Crimbo

Platinumed it in less than a month after release. Barely touched it since. Now I shall finish the dlc if the pro patch is satisfactory.

I'll stick to my modded textures thanks, they greatly enhance the visuals, cant imagine these will much more to justify spending like 1200 euro on PC upgrades.

I remember modders making better textures than the official ones in the past so they better be some damn good hi res textures for 58GB.

d00d3n

Considering the timing, I assume that this is a beneficial side effect of making the game ready for VR?

Let's hope that VR development will lead to support for 21:9 resolutions and frame rates over 60 frames per second as well ... I would like to play some more Fallout, but those two issues makes it too much of a hassle.

Durante

lmao at the recommended specs and install size.

Holy fuck Bethesda. What are you doing.
Providing an optional high-end feature for people who want it? I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Considering the timing, I assume that this is a beneficial side effect of making the game ready for VR?

Let's hope that VR development will lead to support for 21:9 resolutions and frame rates over 60 frames per second as well ... I would like to play some more Fallout, but those two issues makes it too much of a hassle.
I don't really think there's much of a relationship between this and VR development.

On the other hand, they most certainly will need to make the game work at 90 FPS for VR.

amardilo

I have a 1070 damn....

That was my first thought. Also i think that CPU is a 6 core 12 thread processor.

Hopefully those are the top specs for 4K and I can use the higher res textures on my 1440p monitor (with a core i7-6700K and a GTX 1070).

Fallout 4 is a HUGE game. Not surprised the pack is 58 gigs.

Throw me on the side of higher FPS over resolution for the Pro. Might be what gets me to get one.

Top Bottom