• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: PS4 Pro & PC High-Res support detailed

Planet

Well, my system meets/exceeds the recommended specs for the Pro patch. :]

Finally I can adress that DLC and maybe get the remaining trophies for the platinum.

RedSwirl

Jesus.

This better be listed as an optional DLC pack and not an automatic update. I still don't believe a texture pack is 58GB, especially when the current full game isn't 58GB.

Something is not right here

datamage

I neither meet nor exceed those requirements but I'm not playing Fallout 4 anyway so....

Perhaps you can tell us what you had for breakfast this morning as well.

Anyhow, I'm all for developers adding an optional download to make things look nicer. (There's no way this can be like the Skyrim "high-res" textures, right?)

Perhaps you can tell us what you had for breakfast this morning as well.

Anyhow, I'm all for developers adding an optional download to make things look nicer. (There's no way this can be like the Skyrim "high-res" textures, right?)

Coffee :D

Edited - to put in the smiley face

OmegaDL50

It's either one of two things, in this case I hope it's the latter.

In one case it could be higher res textures without a significant visual improvement but they are horribly unoptimized, OR they are vastly improved over the standard ones and are like 8k by 8k which would be absolutely ridiculous and justify their file size.

One texture pack I use on Skyrim already is roughly 12GB for the whole pack which is by itself larger than the entire game and expansions combined, and that is 4k by 4k.

I probably won't download the new texture pack for Fallout 4 until someone does an analysis on them to see they actually justify their file size or Bethesda just didn't optimize them properly. (Just like they didn't optimize the HD Texture pack for Skyrim either)

Maybe Digitalfoundry or a PC Gamer article will cover it.

That was my first thought. Also i think that CPU is a 6 core 12 thread processor.

Hopefully those are the top specs for 4K and I can use the higher res textures on my 1440p monitor (with a core i7-6700K and a GTX 1070).

Very likely top spec, I highly doubt a i7-6700K and a GTX 1070 will have many problems with these textures, especially at 1440p or 1080p.

I have a i7-6700K (4.6Ghz), 16GB DDR4 RAM (3200Mhz) and an MSI GTX 1070 and I'm not worried about it running badly, well no worse than what a Bethesda game normally runs anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really? missed the memo on that one. Time to turn on the Pro.

Note that it's more limited than the PCesque mod support X1 players enjoy. There's no support for external assets (i.e. those not included in the game by default) and a per-mod size limit of 900MB, though the latter is unlikely to be much of an issue, if one at all, given the former.

I meet those PC requirements exactly except I have 16GB of RAM.

I think I might try out the high rez textures just for the fuck of it.

True Fire

High-Resolution Texture Pack? Wow, you have to give it to Bethesda, they keep delivering even with all of the shit they get.

d00d3n

I don't really think there's much of a relationship between this and VR development.

On the other hand, they most certainly will need to make the game work at 90 FPS for VR.

Yeah, I may have read in too much there. I was only considering the timing, but I guess that extremely detailed textures are not an essential feature for bringing the game to VR.

Support for 90 fps will be nice though, hopefully in the form of support for arbitrary frame rates.

Lister

Banned
maybe it will get 21:9 support?
one can hope.

??? Last time I played it, it was on my 21:9 monitor.

You might have to set the resolution on the .ini file (don't remember), but it works fine once set. I don't think there were any issue swith the GUI, atleast not that I noticed.

Well, I'll definitely be trying out the Pro patch at least. Still have a PC copy sealed that I've been waiting to bust out for a while but was planning to hold off until I got a new desktop.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If bethesda bout to drop a 58 gig texture pack i hope i can zoom into these textures on an atomic level because god DAMN.

Maybe they'll include prerendered video rerendered out at 4K/high bitrate with the pack as well to explain some of the huge size takeup?

rrs

I wonder if these textures will show up on Scorpio if the 12 GB RAM theory is true, kinda like how the high-rez skyrim textures would show up later on next gen ports.
It's either one of two things, in this case I hope it's the latter.

In one case it could be higher res textures without a significant visual improvement but they are horribly unoptimized, OR they are vastly improved over the standard ones and are like 8k by 8k which would be absolutely ridiculous and justify their file size.

One texture pack I use on Skyrim already is roughly 12GB for the whole pack which is by itself larger than the entire game and expansions combined, and that is 4k by 4k.

I probably won't download the new texture pack for Fallout 4 until someone does an analysis on them to see they actually justify their file size or Bethesda just didn't optimize them properly. (Just like they didn't optimize the HD Texture pack for Skyrim either)

Maybe Digitalfoundry or a PC Gamer article will cover it.
I'm guessing it's ~4kx4k as the game uses a lot more textures at once vs skyrim, which also explains the high VRAM requirements.

d00d3n

You might have to set the resolution on the .ini file (don't remember), but it works fine once set. I don't think there were any issue swith the GUI, atleast not that I noticed.

It is possible to force 21:9 resolutions, but the results are messy. I had to use a combination of ini-edits, mods and memory injections, which was complicated to set up, frequently crashed and led to serious UI bugs.

Rellik

Awesome. I don't want to see companies holding back because some countries deal with data caps. Some of us moved on from those years ago, so as long as it remains optional then make it as many gigs as you need.

hodgy100

the UI is stretched unfortunately there are a bunch of mods and workarounds you can do to fix it though. would jsut be nice for it to be official

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nice, have been waiting for the Pro patch. Got the FO4 season pass when it was "cheap" before they increased it in price but never got round to actually playing any of the DLC, and at the time with the Pro on the horizon I figured I would wait for it to be supported.

Vexii

Why does a texture pack require the best GPU on the market, a GPU that doesn't exist and a 6-core 12 thread processor?
Because Bethesda don't accommodate for optimisation. They just release a janky product and expect the end user to brute force it into working.

Top Bottom