• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: PS4 Pro & PC High-Res support detailed

Braag

Cool, I always thought the textures in F4 needed a high res patch. Glad I got a card with 8GB of VRAM.

kvn

The spec recommendation is just plain stupid. This fucking shit engine and everyone already praising the pro patch without having seen it. "Pro buy justified" lmfao.

Fisty

I will accept no supersampling on the Pro if it is 100% locked to 30fps at all times.

Otherwise, I better get that pristine IQ Bethesda!!!

I dont understand why this texture pack need a crazy config for run it...

For textures , more VRAM =/= more textures quality ? In other game , for more textures quality , we just need 6 or 8 GB of VRAM , nothing else...

molnizzle

People complaining about 58 GB for HD textures are getting on my nerves.

This is an optional download for people with the highest of the high-end rigs to take advantage of. It will help ensure that the game will still look decent even many years from now. Bethesda should be celebrated for actually putting this shit out and making it available to everyone who can run it.

It's for serious PC's, the highest of the high end. It's for GTX 1080's and newer GPU's that haven't even been announced yet. That's why it's an optional download.

Since when do higher resolution textures require faster GPUs? They are entirely VRAM dependent and I highly doubt that 6GB cards will have issues running the textures patches at 1080p. I think it's a way for bethesda to say that be prepared for shitty optimisation! I have recently starting playing Fallout 4 on PC on a rig with a GTX 1060 and I have the weirdest framerate drops. It averages in 70-90 FPS range when everything is running great but suddenly when I am looking at bunch of dead bodies it tanks to 40 FPS lol. Looking at the horizon improves performance.

This game was optimised by a bunch of monkeys.

Ghazi

People complaining about 58 GB for HD textures are getting on my nerves.

This is an optional download for people with the highest of the high-end rigs to take advantage of. It will help ensure that the game will still look decent even many years from now. Bethesda should be celebrated for actually putting this shit out and making it available to everyone who can run it.

It's for serious PC's, the highest of the high end. It's for GTX 1080's and newer GPU's that haven't even been announced yet. That's why it's an optional download.
Enthusiast level patches don't need to make games 100GB, though. Who wants to have 100GB on their hard drive taken by one game?

Besides, this is leaking into their other games. Doom is currently 70+ GB. Is that game only for serious, high end PCs?

Porkepik

I'd rather have a stable 30 fps at 1080p. Far Harbor is a nightmare to play on the PS4. Now I bet it'll be worse..
Why does it needs to be worse? Yeah skyrim is a bit worse framerate wise on the pro but at a native 4k.
F4 seems to be 1440p, I guess there is a chance it s even a bit better than the base PS4 version at least not worse due to their choice of 1440p instead of native 4k, its the same engine after all.....

Pennywise

Pro owners lol

I suppose the majority praising the patch are users, that are glad that they deliever a pro patch for a game that already shipped 2015.
This isn't a given and is extra work on their end, so why exactly shouldn't people praise them ?
It's not like anybody could judge the patch currently or make a statement regarding the performance and praise that...

molnizzle

Enthusiast level patches don't need to make games 100GB, though. Who wants to have 100GB on their hard drive taken by one game?

Besides, this is leaking into their other games. Doom is currently 70+ GB. Is that game only for serious, high end PCs?

Doom is id Tech, that engine is known for having huge ass texture sizes. Wolfenstein: TNO was huge as well.

...and if you don't want 100 GB taken up by one game then don't download the optional texture pack. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. The normal "ultra" textures are still there.

This is why devs hold back on really pushing the envelope with their graphics options. People literally complaining about an optional texture pack. Christ.

Braag

I recently checked Gears of War 4 on my hard drive (PC) and it takes 94.6 GB. Yeah, games are getting stupidly large these days.

Synless

Why does it needs to be worse? Yeah skyrim is a bit worse framerate wise on the pro but at a native 4k.
F4 seems to be 1440p, I guess there is a chance it s even a bit better than the base PS4 version at least not worse due to their choice of 1440p instead of native 4k, its the same engine after all.....
Doesn't the game run worse on the pro already?

Seriously? It's Bethesda. They don't tend to fix "performance" issues they tend to introduce them and let the community make unofficial patches to deal with it. It's going to be worse I'm practically willing to bet it on it.

True Fire

Fallout 4 enthusiasts already have 50GB+ in mods tbh. Anyway, you better get used to 100GB games. They're going to be the norm next generation when 4K
30fps
is the standard.

bobeth

Yeah. There's at least one, usually. Always somebody in every PC thread claiming they have no issues. They could have similar or the same setups as others in the thread, and somehow no issues. lol

Sorry for your ignorance, but performance has not been an issue for me after the fifth patch or so.. 4790k, gtx 1080, running off SSD.

Haines

Banned
Hmm the pro doesnt add any fps? Or is the fps already rock solid??

Id consider buying the game if the pro did a solid upgrade.

Porkepik

Doesn't the game run worse on the pro already?
???? Currently its running In PS4 mode I don't see how it would runworse at this time. Its already bad as it is. And yeah bethesda , I guess they could fuck it up somehow ....as usual.

Still I have bern waiting this patch for the past two months to get back in the game

Venom.

Didn't Digital Foundry say that Skyrim on PS4 Pro running at 1080p was worst than on standard PS4? I hope this game improves the 1080p experience on PS4 Pro as I want to jump back in.

Stevey

This is from the blog post so I'm assuming it is the high res textures?

(click for 4K)

FO4_TexturePack_FULL.png

Didn't Digital Foundry say that Skyrim on PS4 Pro running at 1080p was worst than on standard PS4? I hope this game improves the 1080p experience on PS4 Pro as I want to jump back in.

Assume it will as they are going for 1440p - Skyrim does full 4k - but lower than 30fps

SJRB

Gold Member
Sweet jesus, I just reinstalled FO4 days ago, wondering if this would ever get Pro support.

This is great news.

mjp2417

Banned
its crazy, such a bump in gpu and all we're getting is stuff like 50% increased in res and some longer draw distances etc.

1440p is roughly 80% more pixels than 1080p. Large resolution bump + draw distance and god rays improvements + a potentially more stable framerate seems like an entirely reasonable jump given the Pro's specs.

Head.spawn

This is from the blog post so I'm assuming it is the high res textures?

(click for 4K)

FO4_TexturePack_FULL.png

This image looks sooooo fucking weird. Whats going on here?

Every object looks like it was copy/pasted onto a background image. those vines look especially ratty, looks like no transparencies around it. Is that normal?

Fury451

Banned

Every object looks like it was copy/pasted onto a background image. those vines look especially ratty, looks like no transparencies around it. Is that normal?

The game's artstyle creates some odd looking scenes in stills. It's one of the few times that saying "it looks better in motion" is true.

Basketball

If you play the Vanilla game
it's great

BUT IF YOU play with ENBs
HD Res textures
High Texture female/weapon/enemy Models

even on the highest end
you will feel the strain

Sorry for your ignorance, but performance has not been an issue for me after the fifth patch or so.. 4790k, gtx 1080, running off SSD.

The last time I played, the game still breaks down in certain locations. Far Harbor? Forget about it. Dropping down into the high 20's in that shit. Unacceptable. 4690K, 980 Ti, 16GB RAM and my entire setup is SSD's.

But they are just textures, at worst shouldn't it only need more Vram?

Textures take up more space than anything else in almost every game and use so much processing power when compressed. Uncompressed textures, forgeddaboudit.

That's why the post you quoted is ridiculous. The point of the high resolution texture pack is that there is no optimization so they look as good as possible. This is for the people that can run it, and no one else.

OmegaDL50

Hmm well my PC has 32GB of Ram, on top of my GTX 1070, so probably won't have too much performance issues with that texture pack, but even if they aren't optimized, I doubt these new textures won't fill up my entire system's memory, and even if I get a little strained, someone on the Nexus is more than likely to optimize them, make them look the same while significantly reduce the file size, so I don't particularly see the issue.

dr_rus

No idea why but there is no AO in this image. Also if that's the illustration of texture quality we can expect from a 58GB update - I'm not impressed.

Top Bottom