• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: PS4 Pro & PC High-Res support detailed

RedSwirl

Wasn't there a thread recently about how efficient Bethesda was with its asset pipeline in games like Fallout 3, and how that enabled Skyrim to fit on one DVD? That's probably why the Fallout 4 base game was only 20GB when it first came out. Witcher 3 is a similar case. Both games, despite being massive open-world games, seem to re-use a lot of assets while combining and mixing them up in different ways.

Even aside from that, 58GB is still pretty much unprecedented, even for AAA games. I don't know, maybe the textures for DOOM and Gears 4 on PC are around that size since each of those games on PC is like 80GB.

Edit: Just checked the files on my system and apparently yeah, DOOM's textures alone are 43GB.

Zexen

This is from the blog post so I'm assuming it is the high res textures?

(click for 4K)

The filename says FO4_TexturePack_FULL, so yeah, I guess that's it. Still looks as crappy as current textures. If that's really the final result, completely not worth taking up 58Gb of space, you can fit an entire other game with all these bytes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

To quote myself:

The depot is part of the beta branch, but as the app is still private, it can't be added to accounts yet. The texture pack really is 58GB after all (I was leaning towards that being a mistake and the game + pack would total 58GB):

540810 Terrapin (540810) Depot 57.61 GB DLC 540810

The actual download will be a little smaller owing to Steam's compression, but, yeah, "58GB additional space" wasn't a mistake after all.

pottuvoi

Banned
This image looks sooooo fucking weird. Whats going on here?

Every object looks like it was copy/pasted onto a background image. those vines look especially ratty, looks like no transparencies around it. Is that normal?
Transparency is not solved problem in current hardware. (Unlike Dreamcast)

In many cases environment objects like wines just use alphatest so it can same deferred pipeline as everything else.
Here it looks like color channel doesn't have right color in transparent area and thus with bilinear filtering and mipmapping the mask background color bleeds to view.

Dries

Can't wait to see some comparison shots. That one released screenshot didn't look that special to me tbh...

shanafan

I have downloaded the high res pack yet, but I need some help with my PC video settings.

I have a GTX 1070 and G SYNC monitor. When I run Fallout 4, I get around 90 FPS, but there is a lot of clipping. I have gone in and turned off VSYNC in the ini file, and now I get around 70 FPS and no clipping.

How would I be getting clipping with 90 FPS and my G SYNC? What setting should I change to get max FPS and no clipping?

Thanks!

HooYaH

I have downloaded the high res pack yet, but I need some help with my PC video settings.

I have a GTX 1070 and G SYNC monitor. When I run Fallout 4, I get around 90 FPS, but there is a lot of clipping. I have gone in and turned off VSYNC in the ini file, and now I get around 70 FPS and no clipping.

How would I be getting clipping with 90 FPS and my G SYNC? What setting should I change to get max FPS and no clipping?

Thanks!

I think fallout4 is tied max to 70-80fps (60 preferred without anamolies). Anything over and the game goes haywire. Gsync has nothing to do with it. You pretty much have to limit the game max fps or have vsync enabled ingame.

Massicot

Thanks!

I assume by clipping you mean tearing. You could try forcing triple buffering with your GPU drivers or playing in a borderless window but you'll still likely see an fps loss but maybe not as great.

Edit. Misread. Thought I read you turned ON vsync.

Cartho

I hope this runs well with the pro patch. It's going to be mega awkward if it runs at less than 30 fps locked when patched if the un patched game runs wildly better with boost mode.

shanafan

I think fallout4 is tied max to 70-80fps (60 preferred without anamolies). Anything over and the game goes haywire. Gsync has nothing to do with it. You pretty much have to limit the game max fps or have vsync enabled ingame.

I assume by clipping you mean tearing. You could try forcing triple buffering with your GPU drivers or playing in a borderless window but you'll still likely see an fps loss but maybe not as great.

Edit. Misread. Thought I read you turned ON vsync.

Thanks guys. I think 71 and no tearing (sorry, thats what I meant) works for me!

Jobbs

Banned
No high frame rate mode?

Why???

The shitty frame rate on console at times made the game nearly unplayable

Wallach

No high frame rate mode?

Why???

What's funnier is right now people can see see what solid console framerate looked like on Pro with Boost Mode, and very soon its going to get replaced with the official support so the framerate is going back into the dirt.

I have a feeling after being inundated with requests for F4 Pro support they're going to get yelled at to take it back.

Ahasverus

What's funnier is right now people can see see what solid console framerate looked like on Pro with Boost Mode, and very soon its going to get replaced with the official support so the framerate is going back into the dirt.

I have a feeling after being inundated with requests for F4 Pro support they're going to get yelled at to take it back.
I'm not downloading shit if that's the case.

black070

They announced and have been working on support before the Pro released so the hope is the time taken to implement it should indicate a reasonable level of optimisation.

Planet

With an external hard drive and firmware 4.50 it should entirely be possible to preserve a version of Fallout 4 with the current last patch before Pro support. Also copy a save game to USB in case the upcoming version makes it incompatible with previous iterations.

With this, you can make a perfect analysis Base Mode vs Boost Mode vs Pro Patch. Dark10x, are you listening? ;)

jrcbandit

No high frame rate mode?

Why???

The shitty frame rate on console at times made the game nearly unplayable

Exaggerate much? I have a 40 inch 4k TV at 60 hz and a 27 inch 120 Hz monitor - guess what I play my PC games on? The 40 inch 4k 60 Hz TV because 120 hz vs 60 really isn't a big deal at all except for twitch shooters and FO4 definitely isn't a twitch shooter.

Jobbs

Banned
have you tried boost mode to see if it improves anything? On some game it's massive.

I would love to if I had access to the new firmware

Exaggerate much? I have a 40 inch 4k TV at 60 hz and a 27 inch 120 Hz monitor - guess what I play my PC games on? The 40 inch 4k 60 Hz TV because 120 hz vs 60 really isn't a big deal at all except for twitch shooters and FO4 definitely isn't a twitch shooter.

What are you talking about?

Fallout 4 on PS4 is mostly sub-30, and can get very very rocky in big fights or certain areas. It dramatically hurts the experience

Zasa

This is getting absurd, man. All these games getting updates with Pro support right when Horizon, RE7, Andromeda & Nioh are coming out. Yet to play Fallout 4 as well & it's on sale too.

Rest in peaces backlog, I hardly knew ye.

This is getting absurd, man. All these games getting updates with Pro support right when Horizon, RE7, Andromeda & Nioh are coming out. Yet to play Fallout 4 as well & it's on sale too.

Rest in peaces backlog, I hardly knew ye.

Don't forget Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 just came out too.

No, he's right. Fallout 4 is a piece of garbage on the framerate department.

justjim89

Is the install size really gonna be like 60 gigs just for the new textures, or is some of the 30 gigs getting replaced? I only have a 500 gig SSD, I'm not about to keep around a 100 gig folder for a game I barely play.

Any word on the IQ bump on PC? I'm gonna have to uninstall a couple games to make this fit, just didn't want to bother if it's nothing special.

dr_rus

capsule_467x181.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/540810/

i-Lo

Hopefully DF can do a side by side comparison for Pro version. Would love to see the updated draw distance differences.

lord pie

Same company that made fun of Titanfall for their uncompressed audio taking like 40gigs?

Pot meet kettle

All games use compressed textures. Always.
If they didn't, this would be closer to 500GB.

If you assume a material in a game needs 3 textures (albedo + normal + material), then a single set of 4096x4096 textures for that material would be ~70MB compressed with BC7, ~35MB (but much lower quality and no alpha channels) with BC1. It'd be ~275MB uncompressed. Most games will have over 10,000 textures.

Textures memory use is *gigantic*.

Paganmoon

And a game update for the PC. Wonder if there's any CPU/framerate optimization done. It would bode well for the VR version if they could patch the game to get more stable framerates.

eXMomoj

Would be interested to see how a 6700K/7700K performs with the high-res texture pack. I have a hard time believing a 5820K (6c/12t CPU) is really necessary for that alone.

PC gaming is awesome (and PS4 pro owners get to experience it too)

Recently got 1440p monitor with screen thats larger than prior 1080 and some games look so much better its like a remaster.

Really looking forward to this update, hopefully the original non-pascal titanx runs it well at 1440p (never thought the 12 GB VRAM would come in handy until this patch announcement)

They're talking about PS4

Also 120FPS makes almost every single game better. G-sync is a bigger upgrade though. Both is just magical.

I ponder if the Project Scorpion version will run at Native 4K with the high res texture pack.

lol

Top Bottom