• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: PS4 Pro & PC High-Res support detailed

cjp

Has all of the DLC been released? I thought they would have announced an all in one edition by now.

I'd rather have a stable 30 fps at 1080p. Far Harbor is a nightmare to play on the PS4. Now I bet it'll be worse..

It's hard to say of any effect will be seen on frame rate. On PC the game is extremely CPU dependent for frame rate. But maybe there's some optimizations they did as part of this patch?

Also faster RAM helps a lot and the ps4 pro does have some memory speed improvements.

Abhor

I am expecting this "high res" pack to be as terrible as the Skyrim one. Hopefully it's actually scratch-made 2 or 4k textures and not just the same textures upscaled to 4k and called "high res".

It's Bethesda though, so I'll keep my expectations in check.

TitusTroy

I am expecting this "high res" pack to be as terrible as the Skyrim one. Hopefully it's actually scratch-made 2 or 4k textures and not just the same textures upscaled to 4k and called "high res".

It's Bethesda though, so I'll keep my expectations in check.

I'm also wondering how much of an improvement this will actually be because of Bethesda's track record...the 58GB sounds great but I'll hold back my joy until I see it for myself...

DSN2K

I give it a week before these textures are compressed properly and look nearly the same and require less ram.

Schlorgan

Recommended PC Specs
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7-5820K or better
GTX 1080 8GB/AMD Radeon RX 490 8GB
8GB+ Ram

What's an RX 490?

Yeah, 58 gb sounds about right for me. Textures take up alot of space on disc, so like someone said, if you have 15 gb textures (which isnt crazy at all for an open world game) and then just take one step up (512*512 textures into 1024*1024 etc) you are sitting at 60 gb. Cant ask for highres textures and variation in the world, and then not be prepared to store all that data somewhere :)

You may be forgetting where you are... ;)

Snefer

Yeah, 58 gb sounds about right for me. Textures take up alot of space on disc, so like someone said, if you have 15 gb textures (which isnt crazy at all for an open world game) and then just take one step up (512*512 textures into 1024*1024 etc) you are sitting at 60 gb. Cant ask for highres textures and variation in the world, and then not be prepared to store all that data somewhere :)

Piggus

I don't really get why the CPU and GPU recommendation is so high just for a texture pack. Texture resolution has very little impact on performance as long as you have enough video memory. There are much less powerful cards than the 1080 with 8 gbs of VRAM that can still run FO4 really well.

As for the CPU, this game has always had awful issues with draw-calls bogging down performance. With my 5820K at 4.4 ghz the game drops into the 40 fps range in some areas regardless of resolution.

Yeah... I'm not sure where I read it but in hindsight it probably wasn't a credible source.
Overall, communication about Pro benefits has been very short on details, so I can see you missing info that's out there. But in this case, logic should've told you it didn't make sense. Until patched, old games run exactly the same on Pro as on standard PS4. So Fallout 4 couldn't run worse unless it was patched...but this thread is about an announcement of that very patch coming in the future.

XanaviF30

Finally, I will try it. I've been put off by the negative press this game was getting. It was a Christmas gift two Christmas ago. I'm not expecting the game to run any smoother from this patch, but I'll wait and see.

thelastword

Banned
People complaining about 58 GB for HD textures are getting on my nerves.

This is an optional download for people with the highest of the high-end rigs to take advantage of. It will help ensure that the game will still look decent even many years from now. Bethesda should be celebrated for actually putting this shit out and making it available to everyone who can run it.

It's for serious PC's, the highest of the high end. It's for GTX 1080's and newer GPU's that haven't even been announced yet. That's why it's an optional download.
My thoughts exactly.

Who knows, maybe when the texture pack is released and people can run it on their 1060's, 1070's and RX 480's then perhaps we can make some noise about making it available to the PS4 PRO, but for now, it's a nice upgrade for the Pro. Wish it was 1800p-2160p checkerboarded instead, but I appreciate the rez bump alongside many graphical enhancements. I realize they could upgrade the rez even higher at the expense of these graphical enhancements and that would have been swell for an extra mode, but oh well, they did do some good work on the pro upgrade includiing these PC extras as it is.

I don't really get why the CPU and GPU recommendation is so high just for a texture pack. Texture resolution has very little impact on performance as long as you have enough video memory. There are much less powerful cards than the 1080 with 8 gbs of VRAM that can still run FO4 really well.

As for the CPU, this game has always had awful issues with draw-calls bogging down performance. With my 5820K at 4.4 ghz the game drops into the 40 fps range in some areas regardless of resolution.
The Daily Bethesda:
Page22mh.jpg

Renekton

I have two theories about the CPU:

- One is the 5820K HEDT has good memory bandwidth due to quad channel, as FO4 scales unusually well with memory speed.

- Second one is they simply wanted an i7 model number between 4770K and 6700K, and 5820K fits the bill regardless of core count.

Massicot

So a 4790k and 1080 isn't enough to run this?

You're probably fine. I'm less well-versed than some other people, but I feel like games have only recently been able to utilize 2/4 cores correctly, let alone requiring 6. But maybe those of us on 4 cores will see worse performance who knows.

Copper

Someone will make a compressed version that will look just as good at a quarter the size and run better.

Wouldn't surprise me.

The thing is, if that screenshot is any indication of what it will look like it doesn't seem to be very good at all. A lot of those textures are still really low quality.

OmegaX06

I have a stock i5 2500k and had very little problems. The draw-call issue comes from the shadows mostly. There's a mod that fixes that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822/?

How about non-shit fps on PS4 pro?

That'd be nice.

Doing stupid maths that don't work

1440p is 80% higher than 1080p
The GPU is 2.25 times stronger...

So.... There's extra power enough to make it more stable. If it was a CPU bottle neck, we also have 30% increase in the clocks.

Am I doing right guys? Sure not... But I guess we can hope for it (I played last month and the game was great, much better despite the Vanilla shitstorm performance)

Ganrob

Neo Member
Awesome, not very high requirements (sorry US gaffers with data caps, but seriously, data caps in 2017? lol). I wonder what the load times will be though.

Snefer

Someone will make a compressed version that will look just as good at a quarter the size and run better.

Wouldn't surprise me.

The thing is, if that screenshot is any indication of what it will look like it doesn't seem to be very good at all. A lot of those textures are still really low quality.

They are already really, reaaaally compressed. And no, the whole point with the higher resolution pack is that they are just that. If you scale them down just one step its the same as before (assuming 15 vs 60 gb as in my example before)

sueil

Do we know when this is coming out? I still have my modded Fallout 4 installed so this would be a nice boost for it.

Copper

They are already really, reaaaally compressed. And no, the whole point with the higher resolution pack is that they are just that. If you scale them down just one step its the same as before (assuming 15 vs 60 gb as in my example before)

How do you know they are compressed? 58GB doesn't sound like they are compressed.

Just look at the upper left quadrant of the screenshot.

those look like they were taken from a PS2 game.

Top Bottom