• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu (Sep. 15th) - ICO and SotC on PS3! / Valkyria 3 for PSP

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol at the beginning of this thread. I was trying my best to figure out why people were acting in disappointment over a confirmation for Ico and SotC remakes. Then I realized that piece of news was added later and the disappointment was about some game I couldn't give rats ass about :lol *phew*

Aeana

randomkid said:
I guess I just don't understand why so many people thought Valkyria 3 would be on PS3. I can't think of any precedent for this kind of move.

It's true that Mario, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear and Shin Megami Tensei have all had mainline games on portables and will presumably have future console iterations ahead. But that's not this situation.

As soon as Sega added that 2 to Valkyria Chronicles for PSP, I think they were acknowledging that the PS3 would never be receiving any further sequels. In this case, people were asking for a sequel to appear again on the same original console after a handheld version, and that seems to be a situation without any precedent at all.
But the developers said very clearly that they will put the series on both handhelds and consoles in the future, so there's plenty of reason to assume that a future entry will be on a console.

Also, the PS3 game will end up having sold way, way more than VC2 worldwide. The PSP is deader than dead in the west.

randomkid said:
Yeah I thought about both Mario and Dragon Quest, but I'm looking for the specific case of a numbered sequel returning to the same original console. People were desperate to see Valkyria 3 return to the PS3, not a different future console.

To be honest, with the exception to VC2, I can't think of any examples of a numbered sequel to a game that is exclusive to one system being exclusive to another system within the same console generation. The only ones I can think off are across generations or the games are spinoffs. Perhaps you can give me some examples of that because the fact that I can't think of any just shows how fucking retarded Sega's decision is and how frustrating it is for fans of Valkyria Chronicles. Especially as many would agree that putting it on a weaker system made the sequel an inferior game.

I have a PSP and think it's got a good library of games and it gets unfairly dismissed by a lot of people but this is bullshit.

"In other news, SEGA announced that they will block any localization of any existing and future Yakuza game. Furthermore, the series will move exclusively to the PSP due to the positive feedback of the VC platform switch."

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I just hope VC3 takes a original new direction from VC2. If VC3 is anything like VC2, i feel I'd get burned out on the franchise fast. Especially since we are likely to get VC3 next year.

Bebpo said:
So when does the hype train for VC4 3DS begin?
Fixed!

randomkid

Aeana said:
But the developers said very clearly that they will put the series on both handhelds and consoles in the future, so there's plenty of reason to assume that a future entry will be on a console.

Also, the PS3 game will end up having sold way, way more than VC2 worldwide. The PSP is deader than dead in the west.

Oh I didn't know about the developers saying the series would continue on consoles as well. So then maybe this will end up being a Dragon Quest situation where a numbered game appears on a future console. I just think it would have been unprecedented to see it return to PS3.

And I agree with you of course about the business aspects of this decision.

BJK

I bought a PSP to play VC2, and I'm still a bit disappointed by this news. The game delivers about 90% of the feel of the first game, in terms of graphics and action....but the handheld doesn't have the power to render maps with the sense of scale that the PS3 can.

I'd rather not have to move my characters from map segment to segment within a single stage.

onken

Haven't seen the scans but will defo buy the mag tomorrow.

VC3 is disappointing but not unexpected.

Glad to finally hear confirmation on ICO/SotC, but separate releases? They better be cheap.

jett said:
I don't know if zombies are any more weird than an underground city of hobos secretly surveilling all of Tokyo.

That better not be a fucking spoiler.

Aeana said:

Developing on PS3 is also much more expensive, and translating a game on PS3 is more expensive (like with more extensive voiceacting and stuff). While there's no doubt a PS3 game can sell more in the west than a PSP one, PS3 dev costs are definitely more (and more time consuming causing fewer games to be made). there was some chart or something comparing dev costs in Japan between platforms.

I also see it as if they made VC3 for PS3, we probably wouldn't see it until a year after a PSP VC3 would be ready to release. If Sega can release two VC games in the period of time it takes to release a PS3 one (for Japan, at a much lower development costs), could be more cost effective for Sega.

jett

D-Member
onken said:
Haven't seen the scans but will defo buy the mag tomorrow.

VC3 is disappointing but not unexpected.

Glad to finally hear confirmation on ICO/SotC, but separate releases? They better be cheap.

That better not be a fucking spoiler.

You haven't played the first Yakuza game on PS2? :p

Yoboman said:
Okay who cares about crappy Sega games, what's the info on the Last Guardian?

It doesn't seem like there is any actual info for the Team ICO projects. I guess Sony is holding all the info back for the TGS conference or Team ICO's stage show.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
If only this Valkira Derpacles 3 was Peace Walker going not to the PS3, but the Wii. This would have been a triple-digit-pages in a few minutes level of awesome.

randomkid

electroshockwave said:
To be honest, with the exception to VC2, I can't think of any examples of a numbered sequel to a game that is exclusive to one system being exclusive to another system within the same console generation. The only ones I can think off are across generations or the games are spinoffs.

Hmm, I can't really think of any either. Did the second Chibi Robo sequel for DS have a number on it?

tehbear

OldJadedGamer said:
What was the exact quote and from whom?

RubyEclipse said:
Supporting VC2 also supports the series on the whole. And for all of us who hold out hope that someday it will return to consoles, supporting the series truly is the best that we can do right now.

I know a lot of people in the community took that to mean PSP sales maybe = VC3 on PS3. But let's face it, VC3PS3 was never going to happen regardless of any PR bullshit from Sega. HD development costs or whatever lol...

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
It doesn't seem like there is any actual info for the Team ICO projects. I guess Sony is holding all the info back for the TGS conference or Team ICO's stage show.
Boo hiss, I can't wait that long

Aeana

BoilersFan23 said:
Developing on PS3 is also much more expensive, and translating a game on PS3 is more expensive (like with more extensive voiceacting and stuff). While there's no doubt a PS3 game can sell more in the west than a PSP one, PS3 dev costs are definitely more (and more time consuming causing fewer games to be made). there was some chart or something comparing dev costs in Japan between platforms.
Certainly. However, the engine is already developed, so that is at least one aspect that is already taken care of. It doesn't matter, though - clearly, they decided PSP would be a good idea, so that's what we're going to get. Well, Japan will. I just can't imagine why Sega would bother to localize 3, but maybe they'll surprise me.

alr1ghtstart said:
2wmnyh1.gif
this for Ico, tlg and sotc.

fucking booooooo for Valkyria.

Rpgmonkey

miladesn said:
Kingdom Hearts BbS FINAL MIX :O

This felt like it happened faster than usual. Good thing I didn't get around to buying it yet. :lol

Does it have more content than the English version?

Phenomic

miladesn said:
Kingdom Hearts BbS FINAL MIX :O

Haha is this for serious? If so they don't mess around I bought this game a week ago :lol Can't even finish the original launch before they redo another launch.

Actually scratch that.

Someone tell Sony to lower the damn price of the PSP so I can enjoy some of the goodness I've been missing, god damn :(

Top Bottom