• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu (Sep. 15th) - ICO and SotC on PS3! / Valkyria 3 for PSP

Teknoman

148nss4.jpg

Juniors and everyone else: Dont ask for scan PMs. Just search for them.

Just saw the scans :D:D:D There are some new shots of TLG, but the scans are pretty low quality at the moment, so it's hard to make out any of the details.

.la1n

its almost as if the people behind famitsu knew of this revolt ahead of time and made sure to have ICO, SotC, and Last Guardian to help ease the wounds.

Despite how great VC1 was, the game needed to sell somewhere around 500k copies to break even on PS3 (at full price). It didn't even sell half of that world wide at full price. It wasn't until stores started discounting the game and re-releases in Japan at a lower price that really pushed its sales (due to good word of mouth). Unfortunately, that came a bit too late. The thing about PSP games is they really don't have to sell much at all to profit. A game can sell 100k and be a good success for a publisher.

While there's no doubt developing a new VC game on PS3 would be much cheaper now compared to before, Sega can still probably profit from each new VC game they pump out on PSP, so they are probably happy with just that. Kind of like how Namco Bandai keeps pumping out Gundam vs. Gundam games and Sony keeps pumping out Bleach games for PSP (instead of trying to move to PS3).

Regardless, VC is great, so I'll continue buying it wherever it ends up. Despite what I said, I'm not really surprised its coming to PSP because it didn't take too long for a sequel to be announced. PS3 games tend to have a much longer development cycle. I really doubt that after Sega finished VC1 on PS3 they felt, likes make VC3 on PS3 next and go ahead and make a VC2 on PSP.

tehbear

I totally understand why this happened. Sega said VC3 would be PS3 IF we bought VC2. We did not. Thus we are rightfully punished for our sin. It's our fault obviously.

Empty

the lack of text on the last guardian part of the scan is annoying. guess we'll have to wait till thursday for significant information.

as for the three screens i can see one shot that clearly shows a bit where you have to climb up some ruined stairs to reach toriko, but the rest seem familiar from earlier trailers and screens, though it's hard to make them out.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
..and as much I love the 3DS sexually, it would be an even better system (Can you go higher than the stars?) if it didn't get ports of PSP games! Original stuff

StuBurns

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Every fucking thread......and I'm looking forward to the 3DS.

Anyways Team ICO collection. YES.
Fuck the PS3 ports, Ico 3DS is where it's at man, you haven't held a hand till you've done it in 3D.

tehbear said:
I totally understand why this happened. Sega said VC3 would be PS3 IF we bought VC2. We did not. Thus we are rightfully punished for our sin. It's our fault obviously.

What was the exact quote and from whom?

Same reactions as everybody pretty much

VC on PSP = Fuck off. (I sold my PSP after it sat for 9 months of no action)
Team Ico collection = Fuck yeah.

And am I just crazy or was there supposed to be some GT5 info up in this issue?

tehbear said:

Those fuckers had this in development or planned before we even had a chance to buy VCII.

BattleMonkey said:
Eh? Turn based strategy games were not at a risk of dying out and we get new ones semi frequently. People want more of what the got last year
Completely wrong. Handhelds are currently at a good spot between development costs and sales, which is why the large majority of recent console turn based strategy games are on handhelds or PC. You would know this if you had a clue and weren't just banging your fork on the table demanding more high budget TBS games that either fail to make a profit or make less than they would have made on a handheld system. As production costs get more expensive while sales fall, the genre will continue to decline.

Macstorm said:
Hell hath frozen over, as for once I completely agree with mjemirzian.
This is just an indication that you need to agree with me more often. :D

Aeana

tehbear said:
They sure tabulated those VC2 sales quickly.

Once VC2 bombs in the US (it will), perhaps Sega will decide not to even localize VC3 so people here have no reason to be upset.

Elios83

PSP is a great place for strategic games actually :D
I'm more bothered with the zombified Yakuza......now seriously I don't even want to know how they will explain THAT.............

ICO/SotC/TLG :O (but the scan doesn't show a lot, basically we have already seen the ICO pics in HD a few days ago at the presentation with Ueda).

Volcynika

Aeana said:
They sure tabulated those VC2 sales quickly.

Once VC2 bombs in the US (it will), perhaps Sega will decide not to even localize VC3 so people here have no reason to be upset.

But I'll be upset :(

tehbear said:
Your post reminded me of Square-Enix saying they'd consider a Chrono sequel if more people bought Chrono Trigger for the DS!

I love VC1 and bought VC2 because I loved VC1.

But seriously, that $40 price tag for VC2 ALMOST made me defer my purchase until a price drop...almost! But I wanted it even though it cost a arm and a leg for a portable game!

But how did others who were interested in the game felt when they saw that price?

Maybe it's Sega's fault for charging too much for it which is why a lot of people didn't want to buy it. $29.99 would've been a fair deal but $39.99 just felt steep for it especially since VC1 is now $19.99 right now.

tehbear said:
Sega actually say that? WOWOWOWOW.

randomkid

I guess I just don't understand why so many people thought Valkyria 3 would be on PS3. I can't think of any precedent for this kind of move.

It's true that Mario, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear and Shin Megami Tensei have all had mainline games on portables and will presumably have future console iterations ahead. But that's not this situation.

As soon as Sega added that 2 to Valkyria Chronicles for PSP, I think they were acknowledging that the PS3 would never be receiving any further sequels. In this case, people were asking for a sequel to appear again on the same original console after a numbered handheld sequel, and that seems to be a situation without any precedent at all.

jett

D-Member
Elios83 said:
PSP is a great place for strategic games actually :D
I'm more bothered with the zombified Yakuza......now seriously I don't even want to know how they will explain THAT.............

I don't know if zombies are any more weird than an underground city of hobos secretly surveilling all of Tokyo.

androvsky

slaughterking said:
I think we now know why all RGG characters were revealed with guns in their hands. You wouldn't dare to fist fight a zombie!

Only three of the four are carrying guns in the pictures. The fourth... holy shit. If they do what I'm thinking, that could be awesome.

Still doesn't make up for the VC3 announcement though. Didn't the director say they'd like to make it for both platforms?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
StuBurns said:
The new Suda game no?
Prolly. Kinda hoping it isn't, if the title has any significance at all regarding the concept.

Googling the name brought me to a rock album by the Avengers with the same name.

Considering Suda's punk-based design theory and the fact that they he thinks EA understands the "spirit of rock,'' there's no doubt this is that game.

Top Bottom