• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 will be released on November 18th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)

Eusis

Man, the longer they keep insisting on cross-gen titles the longer it takes for next-gen to really get going. I guess that's how fucked budgets are though, that even with games that would probably do the lion's share of their sales on the newest hardware (so long as it was successful of course, which the PS4/XB1 are) they still may legitimately need those other sales for awhile. Even though this seems like the exact kind of game that needs to leave prior generations behind rather than a linear corridor shooter.
I think that because the Ps360 are HD consoles, this cross-gen era is going to last longer than previous ones. Expect games being held back for another year or two. Thankfully, some titles like Arkham Knight are ditching the 2005 tech.
Diminishing returns may've kicked in harder than ever. Not necessarily visually (though that's significant relative to prior generations) but gameplay ideas. There probably isn't really that much more you could do on PS4/XB1 that you couldn't have done on PS3/360 already, so just murder the graphics and it fits! Though there's still stuff like fitting the Bat mobile into Arkham City gameplay, so it leaves me to wonder what may not be doable in these games because they want to keep PS3/360 there.

Zombine

Banned
I loved every minute of Far Cry 3. After that final minute I realized that there was nothing to do and traded it in.

That was my only real critique about 3. I didn't even mind the frame rate that much. I'm hope that Ubisoft fixes that mistake and adds a ton of post game content and cleans up the co-op and multiplayer a bit this time.

With all of that said: Day freaking 1.

Green Yoshi

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-far-cry-3-face-off

''Even so, travelling around the islands by either foot or car still gives us wavering readings on both consoles, mostly circulating around the 25FPS point. This is usually a little higher on 360, though the juddering sensation feels largely comparable between the two at these levels of refresh. However, the regular, high levels of tearing prove to be the greater issue here. ''

I know this article, but it was just my personal experience (I borrowed the 360-version and got the PS3-version thanks to PS+).

I hope that we will see a lot of PC/PS4-only games with optimisations for GDDR-5 etc. next year, but 2014 the Xbox 360 still lives. And that's a good thing.

MattyG

Banned
4lnH1tn.jpg

I see this discussion has already been started, but I just saw this on Twitter, with a reply saying that they "hope the gaming press speaks up". Is the cover something people are really going to be offended by? It's obviously intentionally politically loaded, and trying to say something about the themes of the game and character of the villain. As long as it isn't there for pure shock value, I don't see the issue.

I'd love to hear from those who take issue with it though, maybe I'm just being insensitive (not how I want to come off) or not looking at it the right way.

DocSeuss

Will buy if Blood Dragon writer, will wait for $7.50 if Yohalem. Not interested in Yohalem's work at all.

You are also completely insane.

do you know the definition of insanity

I see this discussion has already been started, but I just saw this on Twitter. Is the cover something people are really going to be offended by? It's obviously trying to say something, probably about the themes of the game and definitely about the character of the villain. As long as it isn't just there for shock value (which is not the effect it had on me anyways), I don't really see what the problem is. The next reply was someone saying that they hope the gaming press take issue with this and speaks up.

I'd love to hear from those who take issue with it though, maybe I'm just being insensitive (not how I want to come off) or not looking at it the right way.

Are you saying Kuchera is offended? Because the statement "politically loaded" is absolutely true. Personally, as someone who thinks China's the big bad in the region, I'd rather see a Chinese person play the bad guy, myself.

Great news. Another game in Fall I probably won't have time to play. Really enjoyed what I played of FC3 though so looking forward to this.

And that art is pretty cool. The pin of the grenade in his hand and he's stepping on the head and basically taking the place of that king...good stuff. edit: Oh there's some controversy about it? Ok then..

MattyG

Banned
Will buy if Blood Dragon writer, will wait for $7.50 if Yohalem. Not interested in Yohalem's work at all.

Are you saying Kuchera is offended? Because the statement "politically loaded" is absolutely true. Personally, as someone who thinks China's the big bad in the region, I'd rather see a Chinese person play the bad guy, myself.
I just edited that, sorry for being unclear. He wasn't the one who seemed offended, it was the person who responded and said they hope the gaming press "speaks up" or something to that effect, that seemed offended. I agree, it is absolutely politically loaded, and obviously intentionally, it was the tweet in reply to him that prompted that post. Sorry, I should have made myself more clear, very poor wording on my part.

ib1F7RsldA53PJ.jpg

As a brown man who was raised in this region, this image is NOT racist at all. That is a Nepali Gurkha (basically Nepal's version of Navy Seals), he is tied and being held hostage by the evil dude. It is just symbolism, an evil man came to the region and now their elite commandos are kneeling before him. There is nothing racist about it.

ButchCat

Ain't gonna happen. An announcement without anything but box art makes me guess spring 2015. With AssCreed and Watch Dogs it's already a bloated year for Ubi, unless they have doubts for Watch Dogs and want Far Cry as a backup to comfort their shareholders for the fiscal year's report.

Edit: Also, where is my Blood Dragon 2 goddamn it?!

RedSwirl

As a brown man who was raised in this region, this image is NOT racist at all. That is a Nepali Gurkha (basically Nepal's version of Navy Seals), he is tied and being held hostage by the evil dude. It is just symbolism, an evil man came to the region and now their elite commandos are kneeling before him. There is nothing racist about it.

Wait that dude's a Gurkha?! Well that just made the setting way more interesting. Now I totally hope the main character of the game is a Gurkha.

For those of you who don't know, here are some examples of Gurkhas:
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/gurung.html
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/pun.html
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/shrestha.html

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to play as a Gurkha, that would be a pretty damn cool main character. Gurkhas are badass mother fuckers.

ButchCat

The cover screams Uncharted 2, no? From the font of the game's title to the orange number 4, the snow in the background and the prayer flags. I know they share the same locations but still.

Frillen

This game is being made for machines that had their limits reached game design wise years ago.

PS4 / Xbone / PC confirmed for last-gen games with prettier textures / effects instead of bigger / denser worlds.

The world in the next gen version can still be denser even if there are last gen versions.

MattyG

Banned
I would love to play as a Gurkha, that would be a pretty damn cool main character. Gurkhas are badass mother fuckers.
That seems like it would fit the story they seem to be going for pretty well, assuming the guy in purple actually is a villain who is coming in and taking over. Obviously that is just conjecture on my part based off the cover, but I can see them setting up the main character as the leader of the resistance or something.

Getting excited for this. I'm glad to see the franchise is starting to solidify an identity. I loved Far Cry 3, even though I have a real hard time getting into open world games. Bring it on.

Nethaniah

The world in the next gen version can still be denser even if there are last gen versions.

That requires effort most developers / publishers will not be putting into these games.

To just put an example out there, Fallout : New Vegas had the city walled off (at the last minute) before release because of console limitation, PC the platform that could have handled an open city had it walled of as well, devs rarely if ever go the extra mile, aslong as the content is 1:1 it's ready for shipping though Ubisoft will undoubtedly be hyping the current gen versions for being ''so much more'' while in the end they're exactly the same.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That seems like it would fit the story they seem to be going for pretty well, assuming the guy in purple actually is a villain who is coming in and taking over. Obviously that is just conjecture on my part based off the cover, but I can see them setting up the main character as the leader of the resistance or something.

I hope so, that would be a very interesting route to take with the story if you could play as a Gurkha and if anyone would do something like that it would Ubisoft.

RedSwirl

You're the new type of graphics whores that I don't like. Putting graphics in front of gameplay. Just because it's cross gen doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. It's just as bad as people not buying Watch Dogs because it's 900p and not 1080p. What the hell is wrong with people?

The idea is that these open-world games, especially first person open-world games, would probably reap more gameplay benefits from being based on systems with more RAM and more powerful processors. A current-gen-only Far Cry could potentially have larger environments with more dynamic things going on. The original Far Cry was never faithfully ported to the consoles of its time (Xbox and PS2) because of hardware constraints. Rocksteady seems to think the gameplay they're trying to do for Arkham Knight isn't possible on PS3 and 360. CDProjekt RED has already confirmed Witcher 3 would have to be a different game to be playable on PS3 or 360.

Diminishing returns may've kicked in harder than ever. Not necessarily visually (though that's significant relative to prior generations) but gameplay ideas. There probably isn't really that much more you could do on PS4/XB1 that you couldn't have done on PS3/360 already, so just murder the graphics and it fits! Though there's still stuff like fitting the Bat mobile into Arkham City gameplay, so it leaves me to wonder what may not be doable in these games because they want to keep PS3/360 there.

I think gameplay-related diminishing returns started to kick in sometime during the era of PS1, N64, and late 90's PC games. Most of what we've seen since then has been variations on genres invented around that time with more gameplay refinements and a few ideas people just happened to think up later. I think a massive chunk of PS3 and 360 games were mechanically possible on PS2 and Xbox, just with less detailed graphics. Hell, a lot of those games are just successors to late 90's and early 2000's PC games but actually have LESS complex gameplay.

Open-world games are probably one of the big exceptions depending on how much detail and how many factors developers put into the environments. I just listed some examples in the response above which are games with huge environments.

I don't think they get any engine updates, but since it's derived work they still have to list it and probably pay some kind of fee.

It's the same way the Splinter Cell team's LEAD engine is based on Unreal 2 and Call of Duty's IW engine is based on Quake 3.

My biggest complaint with Farcry 3 is that the map shows where all collectables are..that is pointless, why explore? They should make un-mapped exploring and it will GOAT. Think like Secret packages in earlier GTA games and you get upgrades or perks when you collect many.

sjay1994

I don't think its Yohalem, since he just finished child of light.

Also Ubisoft montreal and red storm are working on a follow up to blood dragon, so dean evans is probably busy with that.

Shush. Some people are projecting white guilt over here.

Frillen

That requires effort most developers / publishers will not be putting into these games.

To just put an example out there, Fallout : New Vegas had the city walled off (at the last minute) before release because of console limitation, PC the platform that could have handled an open city had it walled of as well, devs rarely if ever go the extra mile, aslong as the content is 1:1 it's ready for shipping though Ubisoft will undoubtedly be hyping the current gen versions for being ''so much more'' while in the end they're exactly the same.

And New Vegas is one of my favorite last gen titles. But I understand your point. Thing is though, FC4 still has potential to be really awesome, and I tend to look at the positives instead of the negatives.

Frillen

My biggest complaint with Farcry 3 is that the map shows where all collectables are..that is pointless, why explore? They should make un-mapped exploring and it will GOAT. Think like Secret packages in earlier GTA games and you get upgrades or perks when you collect many.

Because that forces you to explore every pixel of the map, which is frustrating and time consuming.

Top Bottom