• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

hydruxo

I really wish I understood this thread. I hear that the murder is uninteresting yet I see a page full of people saying this episode was bad when it fleshed out the characters the murder effected...

Would all you complainers have rather we just not known the history of Ennis Stussy for the rest of the season?

Did you not read where I said I'm enjoying it? Jesus christ. Calling me a "complainer" because all I'm saying is I don't think the set up for this season is quite as interesting as previous seasons.

Pachimari

What the hell was a spaceship doing in S02E09? Was that just something they were hallucinating or what was that all about? I also take it these stories in Fargo hasn't actually happened in real life?

TripOpt55

I liked the latest episode. It was an enjoyable look at Carrie Coon's character and I liked the change of setting. The background on her step-father was nice too. The cartoon was neat and a bit sad.

Bandit1

What the hell was a spaceship doing in S02E09? Was that just something they were hallucinating or what was that all about? I also take it these stories in Fargo hasn't actually happened in real life?

Supposedly there were several UFO sightings in that area in 1979, so that was something they sort of played with all season. And no, this is not a true story, I believe that disclaimer was a gimmick that the movie used and the TV series adopted it.

I kind of take it that the stories in Fargo are fictional stories about "what if" someone were to make a movie/show out of true events. If that makes any sense.

Most likely, this season has the dual performance of McGregor to hold it up.

Unfortunately those two characters are really uninteresting so far. Just kinda boring. The novelty of seeing him play two characters isn't really enough to cover up the fact that he just doesn't have that much to work with.

maxcriden

Is the box thing from another Coen brothers film or elsewhere in the Fargo tv show or anything?

Fargo Season 3 |OT| Brothers, Bridge, and Arby's in 2010 Minnesota

Hated this weeks episode, for me the show is so immersive in its Minnesota setting and its just exotic and different and interesting because it is in a time and location with people I am not really familiar with at all. Whereas LA and NYC shows pretty much fill the airwaves and all the characters are incredibly predictable and shallow.

Plus as the audience we ALREADY know LA and his past has nothing to do with his murder, so its not really satisfying watching the motions of someone fishing in an empty pond. The toilet bowl having a name that may trigger the realization that "maybe this guy got the wrong guy, same name" was not a great moment.

Love everything else about the season, and I'll just view this as filler I guess to flesh out some backstory. I'd rather see more of that East Germany opening backstory though.

The guy who played the airplane passenger was in Robocop, Twin Peaks, Reaper, etc and will be on the Twin Peaks 2017 edition (as the same character I think?) so it was also kinda weird seeing him pop up in such a small role, he and the Hollywood agent were great though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I actually liked that one more than the first two, I think because it felt so different from anything we've seen previously from this show (and in a season that's feeling just a little too familiar at this stage). It gave me the confidence that the show could potentially continue on in a future season in a setting other than Fargo, ND, while still managing to retain the feel of Fargo.

Anyone else think the robot in the animated segments looked a little bit like Clank?

The animated sequences reminded me of World of Tomorrow.

Fun fact: the charcter Vivian is played by a mother (2010) and her daughter (1975).

Neat!

Clint Eastwood's ex-wife and daughter, too.

They really need to stop trying to make Clint Eastwood's children happen.

This episode focused on Gloria and, as a result, has made me interested in her character. We know the story she's following has absolutely nothing at all to do with Ennis' murder, yet I still found myself invested and wanting to follow her as she digs up the past of her step dad.

Agreed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This was actually the first episode of the season I really liked. I think it's wrong to just classify this as 'filler'. It's about characters more than plot, and we got to learn more about Gloria. I'm more invested in her character than I was after the firs two eps, so there's that. Plus, we got the tragic story of the guy who was killed, which added some Hollywood noir vibes. After loving Ed Brubaker's The Fade Out, I love that kind of drama.

CloudWolf

I also take it these stories in Fargo hasn't actually happened in real life?

No, of course not. It's a running gag started by the film. The Coen Brothers wanted to play a prank on the media by stating that the events depicted in the film really happened and since looking up things on the internet wasn't a thing in 1996, most people bought it.

Pachimari

I see.

Finished the pilot and that was okay. I'm not sure what Ewan Mcgregor's character's job is, if it is to check people for drugs since all of his clients were peeing into a cup?

And talking about Season 2, did Mike Miligan end up working for that transport company, which was still doing business during Season 1?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I see.

Finished the pilot and that was okay. I'm not sure what Ewan Mcgregor's character's job is, if it is to check people for drugs since all of his clients were peeing into a cup?

Basically. He's a parole officer so in those scenes he has to watch them pee to make sure that someone else isn't giving the sample for them, or they're not using a fake bladder/pre-made sample/etc. He also has to check up on them and make sure they have steady work, housing, and aren't associating with known criminals.

The new season is solid, but so far doesn't hold a cancel to the first season (which was still often too beholden to the movie) and the superb second season. Even after episode 3 I still don't find the characters especially likable, interesting, or darkly comic (maybe with the exception of the antagonist on that last point). While it's cool that they fleshed out Ennis's backstory, I don't know that I needed a whole episode focused solely on that when I'm still craving so much else from the story at this point. Carrie Coons's characters is laudable for how dedicated she is to the job, but beyond that I don't have an opinion one way or another about her personality.

It also kept bugging me in the last episode that they cast Thomas Mann to play young Ennis, who was born in 1991 and looks even younger than that in real life. Even if we wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt about Ennis, I could believe - at the very oldest - he's 30 during the 1975 flashback, which would mean that when he gets killed in 2010 he was 65, yet he looks no less than 80 at the start of the show. His producer has a good 30 years on him in the flash back, yet looks no more than 10-15 years older than him in "present day." It just bugged me. I also don't buy Carrie's character discovering "Ennis" on the toilet. It's too coincidental, even for Fargo.

The most interesting part of season 3 so far for me was the East Germany opener. It summed up the intrigue, tragedy, and dark comedy that seasons 1 and 2 did so well. Everything that has come since has failed to live up to that.

I'm really hoping the last 7 episodes change my mind on this. None of the characters holds a candle to what came in previous seasons, so far. With Noah Hawley having worked on Legion, too, I'm wondering whether pulling double duty affected the quality on this somewhat.

New episode tonight:
The Narrow Escape Problem

Emmit and Sy try to figure out what they've gotten themselves into, Nikki and Ray track down some collateral, and Gloria learns more about Maurice.

No, of course not. It's a running gag started by the film. The Coen Brothers wanted to play a prank on the media by stating that the events depicted in the film really happened and since looking up things on the internet wasn't a thing in 1996, most people bought it.

Including (I believe) a south Korean lady. She got a flight to America and proceeded to look for the buried money in a small coat and skirt, in winter. She died.

Edit: ok, that was all a crock of shit apparently. I remember a show years and years ago about her, but looks like it has since been discovered it was untrue.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The automatic stuff not working for her makes me laugh. I'm a simple lad.

Also, points for mentioning one of my favorite Looney Tunes cartoons. I always loved those.

Including (I believe) a south Korean lady. She got a flight to America and proceeded to look for the buried money in a small coat and skirt, in winter. She died.

Edit: ok, that was all a crock of shit apparently. I remember a show years and years ago about her, but looks like it has since been discovered it was untrue.
Yeah, urban legend, but it spawned a great movie called Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Great episode.

All the pieces are starting to fall into place.

I like this Lopez lady, I hope she helps Carrie Coon with her investigation.

caliph95

It did made a well received movie called Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter

Aiii

So not worth it
Netflix misplaced the latest episode lol, now I can't watch it.

screenshot2017-05-11a2ljwz.png

Top Bottom