• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

hydruxo

I'll pretty much watch anything with Noah Hawley's name attached to it now after the first two seasons of Fargo and S1 of Legion. The guy is brilliant. Really excited to see Ewan playing two roles.

Also, it's wild that by the end of the month we'll be getting Fargo, Better Call Saul, American Gods, and The Leftovers every week for a good amount of time. Then Twin Peaks in May as well. Great time for TV right now!

The only thing better than this fantastic cast is the amazing character names. I mean Gloria Burgle is already top shelf but then we get Emmit and Ray Stussy, V.M. Vargas, Sy Feltz, and oh my god Nikki Swango.

V. M. Vargas and Nikki Swango are definitely inspired. The writing and styling on this show is absolutely top notch. Who knew fake true crime in the upper midwest would be so damned interesting?

- The Oregonian review
With only two episodes to go on, it's always possible that "Fargo" Season 3 might suddenly become dreary. But that doesn't seem likely. If subsequent chapters in the 10-episode season stay at this high level, "Fargo" again looks like a contender for best TV series of the year.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette review
It’s a somewhat slower build but eventually this “Fargo” premiere suggests reason for excitement for the new season. But then episode two comes along and also fails to ignite the addictive interest of past installments, so this year’s “Fargo” will require a wait-and-see approach.

KodaRuss

I think I am more excited for this than any other show in 2017. The first two are amazing.

My wife and I were not really feeling Legion for the most part but Noah Hawley is a genius in my book and this looks like another great season for Fargo.

jcutner

Also, dunno if y'all know being Hawley fans but he also wrote a book!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26245850-before-the-fall

26245850.jpg

It's okay, the payoff isn't totally worth it though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Last season we got every episode the day after on (non US) Netflix like BCS, hopefully it's that way again. Not seeing ads for it yet like I did with BCS though.

Looking forward to this season but like I said in the last thread: I doubt this can match s2 because that was one of the all-time best seasons of tv. If Hawley can pull that off again, he's a legend

- EW: Fargo showrunner gives a deep-dive season 3 interview
Fargo‘s Emmy-winning showrunner Noah Hawley takes our burning questions about the new season (no spoilers, of course), offering insight into his unique process for creating an entirely new crime story that features a new set of characters every season — yet somehow feels just like Fargo.
Final thoughts to tease up our readers for the new season?

Everyone you see is going to have a very satisfying journey. I didn’t design it to be more comedic, but there’s a lot of humor in this season. And then, of course, at a certain moment it gets darker, and all those people who made you laugh you start to worry about.

KodaRuss

I thought this was on last night for some reason but the wife and I were too tired after all the crap we had going on this weekend to watch it. Glad I didnt miss it but I am out of town Wednesday...

- Cinemablend review
As it always goes with Noah Hawley's shows, Fargo Season 3 has a wide and well-formulated foundation that takes awhile to explain, even though only the vaguest of story elements are being discussed. Knowing little pays off where this series is concerned, and its anthology nature means no one is ever safe. This year's hairpin twists and turns can just as easily affect anyone and anything. But the people that will be affected most by this story are viewers, who can finally once again sit back and marvel at another thrilling season from one of TV's best dramas. With such an incredible cast -- seriously, the Emmys should just call itself the Fargos next year -- and a suspense-filled plot, you won't walk away from this one disappointed, I reckon. 4.5 out of 5 stars

- Onion A|V Club review
The two available episodes lay the season foundation, which we’ve already seen the blueprints for a couple of times. There are some truly shocking moments early on, but it all just feels a bit too familiar. Luckily, the cast picks up the narrative slack; Winstead and Coon might both be playing thwarted women, but they’re basically fire and ice. McGregor manages to carve out distinct personalities in his dual performance, though the brothers do share a sense of exasperation with the other. His interactions with himself flow better than you’d expect, but it’s with Michael Stuhlbarg that he has the most chemistry. As Sy, Stuhlbarg is usually fulfilling more of the actual duties of a brother’s keeper, completing his friend’s sentences and otherwise covering his ass. In Fargo, what’s left unsaid can be chalked up to manners as much as building a mystery, but here it creates a comedic pas de deux that outshines any other pairing in this anthology series. Grade: B+

awesome. Stuhlbarg rocks. Among the many talented actors in Boardwalk he was one of the most entertaining.

Sounds like his dynamic with mcgregor will be dope.

aravuus

Looks like HBO Nordic will have this for us northern Europe folks. Might wait until most of the episodes are out and binge watch it during the free first month.

After recently binging the first two seasons I'd say this show is one my all-time favorites (although I don't watch that much live action TV). Between this, Broadchurch, Twin Peaks, and Game of Thrones 2017 is looking like an insane year for television.

Can't wait.

- Nerdist review
Great, compelling, interesting characters played by great actors, murder and absurdity, those are the things we know we’ll get from Fargo, but it’s the emotional investment in it, present right from the onset, that has us excited for the rest of this season.
- Pajiba review
Friends: It’s been three days since I’ve seen an episode of the third season of Fargo, and I’m here to tell you I can’t remember much about it. You might think that says a lot about me, but I think it says a lot more about the two episodes of Fargo provided for review.
If you liked the first two season of Fargo, and dug Legion, I think you’ll probably dig what unfolds in the first two episodes. Don’t despair.

Pachimari

I'm at S01E03 on Fargo and is hoping to catch up with it before the second episode of Season 3 airs. It seems very interesting, and the acting is something special. They don't feel like real people, but rather with a twist of exaggerated theatricals.

- USA Today review
This is a series chock full of great characters, male and female, that exudes wit, intelligence and a palpable desire to entertain. It’s possible, of course, that this latest Fargo will sag in the middle or fall apart at the end. But neither of the other two seasons did, so here's betting this one won’t either. 4 out of 4 stars

- Salon review
Problem is, some viewers — not all, by far, but a few — may have reached that place where the drama’s bellyful of eccentricities and structural habits have weakened its ability to surprise. Every season’s crime starts with a facile plan going sideways. One random, fatal mistake becomes the kicked pebble that launches an avalanche. Once we’re aware that’s coming, we can’t help but to expect it to happen. That puts the onus on Hawley and his writers to cook up an act so unexpected that it jolts us nevertheless.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
It's strange, I am not feeling this at all, despite loving the last two seasons (especially the first one). Confident that will change as soon as the first episodes hits my eyeballs, and the cast is fantastic (love me some Carrie Coon).

- NY Times review
If the setup — Mephistophelian evil versus hometown decency, with ordinary human failing in the middle — rings a little familiar, it may be early to judge. Season 2 also echoed the first in its early going before expanding and finding its own comic-operatic voice. It may also be a bit unfair. Did anyone expect “Law & Order” to reinvent itself with every case? “Fargo,” if its run continues, could be a big-ticket, bigger-scale version of a TV standby, the reliable procedural with top-shelf talent. There are worse things to be than prestige-TV comfort food, a Minnesota hotdish prepared in a four-star kitchen.

- Rolling Stone review
Noah Hawley, hot on the heels of his surprise superhero/sci-fi triumph Legion, is on a roll here, with a lot of help from his cast. David Thewlis lurks on the margins as a mysterious English operator looking to move in on the Minnesota parking lot business, while Carrie Coon is the local divorced-mom police chief who investigates when the business gets bloody. As always, the wide-open snow-seared landscape adds to the tense atmosphere, as everyone's fumbling manners keep getting in the way of their criminal instincts. When one operator tells another, in a civilized-so-far dispute over money, "I gotta say, your math seems shaky there," it's a quiet yet ominous moment – one that sums up the dread at Fargo's dark Midwestern heart.
- SF Gate review
The season’s second episode signals that Hawley will probably make great use of the “Fargo” template. But three seasons in, it has to be more of a challenge to take similar characters, situations and sensibilities, all of which are narrowly defined, and make them feel completely fresh. For now, though, we’ll give “Fargo” the benefit of a very slight doubt.

Top Bottom