• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

UCBooties

So are there weapons or items in this or is it all about pure racing and managing your jump gauge?

This looks awesome because I miss Wipeout, but I do love my weapons in futuristic racers.

So are there weapons or items in this or is it all about pure racing and managing your jump gauge?

This looks awesome because I miss Wipeout, but I do love my weapons in futuristic racers.

It's just racing and boosting.

If you like power ups and stuff, check out RedOut. It's out now on steam and coming to switch at some point later this year.

enbred

Banned
Wii U never pushed graphics this good and the sense of speed is pretty great. It definitely feels worth the $20.

But it's an upgraded port from the Wii U... it runs at 1080p vs 720p and maybe some effects enhancements here and there would be my guess, but it can't look that different from the Wii U version, right?

ZeroX03

Banned
guessing that they were trying 3 players in portable mode? the scaling probably felt like it needed to drop to keep 60 with the underclock in effect too.

Yes but there's no way it should look like that. The vehicles weren't moving, it was like that from the start. Doesn't happen on other stages and didn't happen after reloading the level. Was a bug.

But it's an upgraded port from the Wii U... it runs at 1080p vs 720p and maybe some effects enhancements here and there would be my guess, but it can't look that different from the Wii U version, right?
The wiiU version was actually quite a bit lower than 720p. It was actually distracting to play on my television.

enbred

Banned
The wiiU version was actually quite a bit lower than 720p. It was actually distracting to play on my television.

Both Wii U and Switch versions use dynamic resolution (not sure about Wii U but RMX does for sure), so they both don't run at their full resolution all the time, they scale dynamically to keep 60fps. Much like Wipeout did on PS4.

Sure can! Actually controls pretty well with one joycon, definitely doable for some quick and easy multi.

As a fan of local multilayer, In getting pretty excited about being able to do stuff like that on a lunch break at work.

Isn't the screen a little small for split screen multiplayer though? At least in a game this fast?

Peltz

Downloaded this last night! Can't wait to play later today. How does it play using a single joy-con?

Very well surprisingly. Boost is mapped to joystick-click when playing that way FYI (I couldn't figure that out for a moment).

You'll need the straps to make the shoulder buttons feel right though.

TheMoon

Very well surprisingly. Boost is mapped to joystick-click when playing that way FYI (I couldn't figure that out for a moment).

game has full button remap, in case you missed it as well!

McBryBry

If me and my buddy both buy this, can we play together on his Wi-Fi on separate consoles? I'm still kinda confused on anything online play related with the Switch.

NimbusD

If me and my buddy both buy this, can we play together on his Wi-Fi on separate consoles? I'm still kinda confused on anything online play related with the Switch.

Yeah I'd like to know. I imagine it's up to the game to take advantage of the lan capabilities, and I hope to got this game and other multiplayer games do, it's one of the main selling points of the system to me.

Yeah is online up for this game yet?

Yes, it is. I just played a quick round online. No issues at all. You all select a stage you want to play and then the one with the most votes wins as the one you play. There seems to be a way to keep score over multiple rounds of play as well.

So those of you who have this game - how are you liking it? At 20 dollars, is it a decent value proposition, or do you feel it's a little light on content for the asking price?

I'm considering purchasing it myself, but I'm not seeing many impressions on it overall.

Coda

Now that I got the hang of playing and the whole switching mechanic this game is a lot of fun and has great graphics. Was kind of disappointed at first when I got it but all I needed was some time to learn the mechanics.

atom519

Just finished the first circuit, game is fun and looks gorgeous on the Switch screen.

Also much better name than Fast Racing Neo.

Does this mean that if i carry the switch around like depicted in the commercials, ready for some on-the-go local mp via desktop mode at any moment, that I'll have to carry around the two "wrist strap" devices in my pocket too for the joycon controllers to be viable?

If so, do any carrying cases have room for them?

Cody_D165

Banned
Yes, it is. I just played a quick round online. No issues at all. You all select a stage you want to play and then the one with the most votes wins as the one you play. There seems to be a way to keep score over multiple rounds of play as well.

Just reiterating this since a lot of people seem to be unaware but the major gripe I have with this game's online is the complete lack of ability to play with friends. The only way my friends and I were able to play together last night was by sifting through the matchmaking online lobbies until we got into the same one which will only become more difficult as the playerbase increases.

It's unfortunate because once we got into the lobby we were having a great time...

Gonna tweet at Shin'en and hope private lobbies or an invite function make it into a future patch.

I keep disconnecting from online. Switch is docked and I can get into a lobby, but the first 2 matches I tried to join lost connection before the race could start.

Third time I started a race but it disconnected after the first lap. Maybe their servers are getting pounced? The Zelda patch and Fast took longer to download than I would have expected like.

Loving this game, hopefully this time I will actually finish it, the races get real hard later on.

I had a weird sensation when I came to the realization that I was playing a portable game with rumble...

That said, I think I will disable it, a bit distracting, rumbles way too much on some stages where there is wind or sand effects.

Jazzem

Bit disappointed the visuals are still a bit jaggy, I guess there's no AA being applied.

Game is amazing regardless, sense of speed is downright dizzying :D I had the Wii U original but never got the DLC, so having a bunch of fun with the new tracks.

I'm going to double dip on this one when I'm done with Zelda and the drought is real.

Cannot wait for that full 1080p goodness. The game is amazing, I know of that.

hoserx

Enjoy the game so far, but have noticed a few framedrops here and there, which is pretty surprising. I've only played in TV mode so far, single player. They seem like loading stutters to me. It is sort of annoying at times.

Cyanity

Banned
So there's 10 cups afaik. Three tracks per cup. Three separate speed class difficulties. So you have to win 30 cups to presumably "100%" this game. Seems like $20 worth of content to me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game is legit, the fact I spent I spent 3 cups on it the same day I got Zelda is telling.

It controls beautifully, which was my fear. HD Rumble is very subtle, but remains pleasing. I love this game!

Peltz

Does this mean that if i carry the switch around like depicted in the commercials, ready for some on-the-go local mp via desktop mode at any moment, that I'll have to carry around the two "wrist strap" devices in my pocket too for the joycon controllers to be viable?

If so, do any carrying cases have room for them?

Most do have a little zipper pouch for wrist straps.

Fredrik

Bought it just before bedtime and played 1st cup. Extremely cool game! And extremely hard, I'm bouncing around like a ping-pong ball lol. Still finished at 2nd place first try, played it a little bit on WiiU previously though. Looks amazing and runs butter-smooth! Shinen are wizards!
Well worth the price imo, 189 SEK for me.

This is really good, and I'm terrible at it!

I've only been playing with motion controls using the joycon grip, is there a method that is easier?

consoul

Behind Zelda, this is easily the next best Switch launch title, and it's a bargain!
It's not getting nearly enough love. I really hope it does well for Shin'en.

Top Bottom