• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

Regiruler

Are any of the cups reorganized? The original had some really poorly chosen orders.

How are the 6 extra tracks handled? Cups are made of 4 tracks a piece on the original.

It would be really neat if this has a high attach rate for the console and passes a million downloads. Would be so happy for them they deserve every sale they get.

It really would, Shinen are truly masterful software engineers. People are ragging on the Switch's technical performance with Zelda, meanwhile this game is a 60FPS technical juggernaut that is conveniently getting ignored.

If you enjoy it, spread the word! This could be a sleeper hit for many people.

Bought this because I skipped it on Wii U. The game looks great and the mechanic of changing for boosts is cool. Gonna try online later when I get a better control of the game.

Realeza

Banned
Yeah, but I thought Wipeout 2048 looked better than this, though it's not really fair since Fast RMX runs at 60fps compared to 2048's 30.

If anything this looks better to me. I remember 2048 ran at a lower resolution than the Vita screen and looked pretty blurry.

AmyS

Yeah, but I thought Wipeout 2048 looked better than this, though it's not really fair since Fast RMX runs at 60fps compared to 2048's 30.

60 vs 30 makes the biggest difference of all, with any of these sort of games. Wipeout, Ridge Racer, FAST, etc.

RR Vita being 30fps was greatly disappointing, especially when RR PSP was 60fps in 2004/2005.

To be fair, RR 3D on 3DS was 30fps, but it also had to cope with stereoscopic 3D.

orborborb

F-Zero SNES/X/GX > Waverace 64/Blue Storm > Mario Kart 64/DD/DS/7/8 > Motorstorm 1/2/3 > Wipeout HD > Rad Racer > Outrun > Drive Club > Ridge Racer 3DS/PSP > Mod Nation Racers > Dirt 2/3 > Wipeout 2048 > Fast RMX > Ridge Racer Vita > Sonic All Stars > Xtreme G > LBP Racing > Forza Horizon 2/3 > Burnout Paradise > Need for Speed Underground

VanWinkle

If anything this looks better to me. I remember 2048 ran at a lower resolution than the Vita screen and looked pretty blurry.

2048 ran at a dynamic res but I believe it was mostly native res. But it also has 4x MSAA, which helped it look great. RMX doesn't seem to have AA of any kind. 2048 also benefited greatly from clearly a bigger budget, with much more detailed levels and ships with more geometrical depth and a more fully featured single player and online game. The general presentation (including soundtrack) were a clear step up in 2048, too. But again it's not really fair. RMX is a $20 instead of $40 like 2048.

60 vs 30 makes the biggest difference of all, with any of these sort of games. Wipeout, Ridge Racer, FAST, etc.

RR Vita being 30fps was greatly disappointing, especially when RR PSP was 60fps in 2004/2005.

To be fair, RR 3D on 3DS was 30fps, but it also had to cope with stereoscopic 3D.

RR Vita had no right to look/perform as disappointing as it did. It was very unfortunate.

ZeroX03

Banned
All my Switch owning friends have picked up the game. It's cheap. Has good content. Shows off local multi nicely. Small, quick download. Great compliment to Zelda.

And FYI: Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed >>> everything else. If the Switch had a port I would've jumped on it so hard. A great portable version finally would be so nice.

VanWinkle

All my Switch owning friends have picked up the game. It's cheap. Has good content. Shows off local multi nicely. Small, quick download. Great compliment to Zelda.

And FYI: Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed >>> everything else. If the Switch had a port I would've jumped on it so hard. A great portable version finally would be so nice.

Racing Transformed is my favorite kart racer. If it had been on Switch at 60fps...man.

I thought the Vita version was great. But 30fps was unfortunate.

Realeza

Banned
There's a stage that has a tornado in it. The HD rumble actually vibrated in circular motions. That's pretty cool!

Vitacat

If you have not played this with the Pro controller... you need to. It's ok with joycons, but sooo much better with the pro.

Vitacat

FAST RMX is *vastly* more impressive than Ridge Racer Vita when that launched.
Bad comparison. Vita RR was a half assed piece of junk. The correct comparison is to Wipeout 2048, and that still looks and plays amazing. Fast RMX is wonderful, and it's a performance beast, but Wipeout 2048 was really incredible.

MrBlonde

Haven't played either yet but picked this up and Zelda, nothing else I want right now. Glad the impressions are good I'll check it out tomorrow and I might grab a pro controller my Walmart had at least 10 tonight so I might go back tomorrow

taoofjord

Really enjoying this game. Only disappointment was I was hoping for 1080 / 60 fps but I suppose that'll be rare on the Switch?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's no Excite Truck, but also several times better than I expected it to be. I would recommend it to anyone with a Switch, it's simply excellent.

Are there any changes for the AI from Fast Racing Neo. That one had pretty bad rubberbanding. Did they improve on that?

Honnestly I haven't seen any change in the aggressivity about AI, but it seems now they have mercy on us concerning crash. You can always come back with a good vehicle after that and this was not the case on the wii u. Even championship is only 3 tracks per cup and not 4, so you have more chance to be on the podium.
So yeah it's still a difficult racing game(I got all the gold cups in any modes on wii u) but more accessible this time.

Top Bottom