• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

ex6ThYo.jpg

Discontent and general unhappiness with the direction of the product seems to be a running theme these days, on screen and off. Fans hijacked January's Royal Rumble PPV when it became obvious that fan favorite Daniel Bryan would not be entered into the main event Royal Rumble match. They boo'd fan favorite Rey Mysterio as he entered at #30 and generally boo'd or chanted for Daniel Bryan during the remainder of the match.

The following night on Monday Night Raw, Triple H trolled the crowd by asking "Did somebody not get what they wanted?" This brought out Daniel Bryan which set up his eventual entry into the Elimination Chamber match at the PPV this month, and set the seeds for a possible confrontation down the road with Triple H.

Elsewhere in WWE, Brock Lesnar is pissed...

75734.gif

He is laying waste to anyone getting in his way, making claims that he is the number one contender and demanding a title match. So far Big Show, Cody Rhodes and Goldust have felt his wrath.

Meanwhile, the Elimination Chamber main event has been set as of Friday Night Smackdown which airs on January 31st. The Elimination Chamber match for 2014 features WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton vs John Cena vs Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus vs
Antonio Cesaro
vs
Christian

Other top matches include The Shield vs The Wyatt Family and Alberto Del Rio vs Batista.

f120fa130360e8bb5ae248803f086fc1.jpg

In other news which has yet to be confirmed by WWE at this time, it is heavily rumored that CM Punk has left the company. Many dirt sheets are picking this up, and even TMZ has carried the story. We will have more on this in this thread as the story develops. If Punk is gone, you can likely expect a thread in the OT as well.

Around the indies....

Ring of Honor has been rejuvenated in 2014 with a reboot of many storylines at Final Battle 2013 and the return of Chris Hero and AJ Styles to the regular rosters. It has been years since either has been inside of a Ring of Honor ring and there are many fresh matches to look forward to.

Both Chris Hero and AJ Styles are making the rounds in the other indie companies as well. Chris Hero is appearing for Dragon Gate USA and Evolve promotions while AJ Styles is wrestling at CZW's 15th Anniversary event for that company's title.

CZW's 15th Anniversary show is a double header with WSU and many matches have been announced for the iPPV:

Already announced for CZW's '15th Anniversary Show'...
CZW World Heavyweight Championship
The Campaign's Drew Gulak (c) v. 'The Phenomenal One' AJ Styles

CZW Wired TV Championship
NOI's Devon Moore (c) vs. 'The Bulldozer' Matt Tremont

CZW Tag-Team Championship
The Beaver Boys (c) v. Murderers' Row

4-Way Tag Team Match
The Front v. Juicy Product v. NOI v. OI4K

4-Way Singles Match
Biff Busick v. Chris Dickinson v. AR Fox v. Drake Younger

Joey Ryan v. Greg Excellent

Christina von Eerie v. Candice LeRae

CZW owner DJ Hyde will have a huge announcement impacting Tournament of Death and will announce a new entry into the CZW Hall of Fame!

Hardcore Legend Tommy Dreamer will be in attendance and more!

Already announced for WSU's 'Mutiny'...
International Dream Match:
Jessicka Havok v. Alpha Female

Queen & King of the Ring Qualifying Match
Shanna & Chris Dickinson v. Candice LeRae & Joey Ryan

WSU Tag Title Match:
Midwest Militia (Allysin Kay & Sassy Stephanie) (c) v. C.U.N.T.S. (Kimber Lee & Annie Social)

WSU Spirit Title Match - Title vs. Mask:
Marti Belle (c) v. Ezavel Suena

#1 Contender Match
LuFisto v. Athena Plus - Jenny Rose, Barbi Hayden, Christina Von Eerie, Satana Garrett, Hania, Veda Scott, and more!

The next big weekend for Dragon Gate USA is this month, and the first matches have been announced:

Dragon Gate USA presents
REVOLT! 2014
Saturday, February 22nd
Belltime - 8PM EST
Queensboro Elk's Lodge
8220 Queens Blvd.
Elmhurst, NY 11373

Open The Freedom Gate Title
Johnny Gargano defends vs. CIMA

-EVOLVE Champion AR Fox
-Open The United Gate Champions The Bravado Brothers
-SHINE Champion Ivelisse
-Rich Swann
-Ryo Saito
-Trent Baretta & Anthony Nese of The Premier Athlete Brand
-2013 Style Battle Winner Drew Gulak
-Chuck Taylor
-Jigsaw
-Caleb Konley
-Shane Strickland
-Biff Busick
-Plus more to be announced!

Dragon Gate USA presents
Way of the Ronin 2014
Sunday, February 23rd
Belltime - 7PM EST
Brooklyn Lyceum
227 4th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
Johnny Gargano/CIMA Winner On 2/22 defends vs. Roderick Strong

EVOLVE Title Match
AR Fox defends vs. Chris Hero

Grudge Match
Fire Ant vs. Jigsaw

Plus more featuring:
-Open The United Gate Champions The Bravado Brothers
-SHINE Champion Ivelisse
-Rich Swann
-Ryo Saito
-Trent Baretta & Anthony Nese of The Premier Athlete Brand
-2013 Style Battle Winner Drew Gulak
-Chuck Taylor
-Caleb Konley
-Shane Strickland
-Biff Busick
-Plus more to be announced!

Meanwhile in Japan....

RainmakerOkada1212012.jpg

Both New Japan Pro Wrestling and Dragon Gate have iPPVs happening this month, here are the cards.

NJPW, "ROAD TO NEW BEGINNING", 2014.02.02
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 EU | 09:30 UK | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

01. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
02. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & BUSHI vs CHAOS (Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado)
03. Tomoaki Honma & Captain New Japan vs CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka)
04. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima) & El Desperado vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Kota Ibushi
05. Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
06. Ryusuke Taguchi Return Match: Togi Makabe, Time Splitters (Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale & The Young Bucks)
07. Special 6-Man Tag: Hiroyoshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii)

Dragon Gate, "TRUTH GATE", 2014.02.06
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/DragonGate - $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 EU | 09:30 UK | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

1. Jimmyz (Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Jimmy Kagetora) vs. CIMA & U-T
2. Oretachi Veteran-gun (Don Fujii & Kenichiro Arai) vs. Shachihoko BOY & Chihiro Tominaga
3. Lumberjack Whip Match: Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Gamma
4. Kotoka & Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Mad Blankey (Mondai Ryu & Kzy)
5. Oretachi Veteran-gun (K-ness, Dragon Kid & Super Shisa) vs. Monster Express (Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi & Uhaa Nation)
6. Masato Yoshino & Masaaki Mochizuki vs. T-Hawk & X
7. JIMMYZ vs MAD BLANKEY Oedo Elimination Match: Jimmy Susumu, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda & Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin vs. YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Naruki Doi & Cyber Kong

Rules for the elimination match;

Both teams will be placed at separate locations up in the stands. After a countdown, both sides will send one competitor to the ring in 90 second intervals. The match will be done under battle royal elimination rules until all 8 participants have entered. At that point, over the top rope eliminations will be removed, and will be changed to pin or submission only.

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN HIROSHIMA", 2014.02.09
Sun Plaza Hall, Hiroshima

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

15:00 JST | 07:00 EU | 06:00 UK | 01:00 EST | 22:00 PST

01. Kota Ibushi & BUSHI vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & El Desperado
02. Minoru Suzuki vs Tama Tonga
03. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka)
04. Special Singles Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Michael Tarver
05. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima © vs Big Daddy Yum Yum
06. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs CHAOS (Yujiro Takahashi & Tomohiro Ishii)
07. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Time Splitters (Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale & The Young Bucks)
08. Special Tag Match: Hirooki Goto Katsuyori Shibata vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI)
09. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs Shinsuke Nakamura

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2014.02.11
BODYMAKER Colossem, Osaka

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

17:00 JST | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 03:00 EST | 00:00 PST

01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
02. Katsuyori Shibata vs YOSHI-HASHI
03. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale)
04. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
05. NWA World Tag Team Title Contendership: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Michael Tarver & Big Daddy Yum Yum
06. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
07. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi)
08. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs El Desperado
09. NEVER Openweight Title: Tetsuya Naito © vs Tomohiro Ishii
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Hirooki Goto

Finally....

John%2BCena%2BConsumer%2BTechnology%2BInternational%2Bh2TMSupUsFyl.jpg

The countdown to the WWE Network is on. The Network debuts February 24th at 11:05 PM after Monday Night Raw. You will be able to download all of the appropriate apps and create your account during the day on February 24th so that you are ready for the launch. It is the dawn of a new era, and we are anxiously awaiting all that the Network Era promises to bring.

Authors Note: This thread is a bit early....the popularity of WrassleGaf has exploded with Wrestlemania season cranking up. We've had many successful Off Topic threads, and the January OT reached critical capacity. Can The Network and the #YesMovement drive us to our first |OT 2| in a long time?

And now....the Wall Of Shame
68WlVMz.jpg

pnTfozW.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
To continue off from the other thread:
Tell me about it. What's causing all the traffic today?
All the doomsday and tech threads on gaming si- err, I mean CM Punk leaving WWE!

WrassleGAF has never made more of an impact!

Nice job on the OP, WWE may be in turmoil, but Wrasslegaf has never been hotter

Yes! no wall of shame for me this month!

Despite the lack of Punk, the EC card doesn't look half bad. That Wyatt/ Shield match needs at least 30 minutes, and I don't know who they will put over more Bray or Reigns

I'm watching a brand new IWA Mid-South show. No deathmatch stuff, but expect gifs anyways. God, Necro looks old and sad.

Also, I'd highly recommend the Olde Wrestling Extravaganza from last September, which is now available to download at SmartMark - nothing outstanding, just some good ol' wrasslin' fun. Everyone has moustaches. There's a rag time band playing all the intros. Chuck Taylor & Jock Samson as the Kentucky Moonshiner's is the greatest team ever.

Kaladin

I'm watching a brand new IWA Mid-South show. No deathmatch stuff, but expect gifs anyways. God, Necro looks old and sad.

Also, I'd highly recommend the Olde Wrestling Extravaganza from last September, which is now available to download at SmartMark - nothing outstanding, just some good ol' wrasslin' fun. Everyone has moustaches. There's a rag time band playing all the intros. Chuck Taylor & Jock Samson as the Kentucky Moonshiner's is the greatest team ever.

IWA Mid-South without death matches sounds like a WWE house show without the major stars.

DMczaf

Looks like this part-timer still got it.

I STILL GOT IT

*CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

I STILL GOT IT

*CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

I STILL GOT IT

*CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

Rapstah

Despite the lack of Punk, the EC card doesn't look half bad. That Wyatt/ Shield match needs at least 30 minutes, and I don't know who they will put over more Bray or Reigns

Bray is going to end up pinning Ambrose or Rollins. He needs the momentum more going into his probable Cena match, although obviously no one is going to believe he'll win against Cena.

IWA Mid-South without death matches sounds like a WWE house show without the major stars.

I honestly couldn't resist, just look at this star-studded line-up;

1. Jack Thriller vs. Necro Butcher
2. Heidi Lovelace vs. Jordan Grace vs. Mickie Knuckles vs. Randi West vs. ThunderKitty
3. Sole Survivor 8-Man: Bryan Skyline, Chrisjen Hayme, Devon Moore & Matt Cage vs. HyZaya, Shane Hollister, Shane Mercer & Simon Sezz
4. First Blood: Jimmy Jacobs vs. Reed Bentley
5. Fight for Your Spot Ladder match: Austin Bradley vs. Dale Patricks vs. "Hebrew Hammer" Joseph Schwartz vs. Josh Crane vs. Kerry Awful vs. Tripp Cassidy
6. Chris Hero vs. Trik Davis
7. Jonathan Gresham vs. Ricochet
8. Christian Rose vs. Drake Younger
9. Corporal Robinson vs. Matt Tremont vs. Ox Harley

Totally looks like a mid-2000's indie wrestling card. Trik Davis? Simon Sezz? Corporal Robinson? JEEEEEZUS!!

I mostly bought it for Gresham vs Ricochet, though.

Ithil

Bray is going to end up pinning Ambrose or Rollins. He needs the momentum more going into his probable Cena match, although obviously no one is going to believe he'll win against Cena.

It's an elimination match, so everyone but one is getting pinned.

jmdajr

John Cena ‏@JohnCena 5m

Interesting time 4 @WWEUniverse on both sides of curtain. Strap in, hold on, 1 helluva ride is coming! #wrestlemania30

Aiii

So not worth it
Lords of Pain is now telling me WWE unfollowed Punk on Twitter. Clearly it's not a work guys, you know how serious WWE is about the Twitters.

Kaladin

Also, I don't know why it wasn't already out there, but I had to make my own image for Triple H staring down Daniel Bryan from this week's Raw. Thankfully I was able to find the clip of the promo on WWE.com. When they did that shot, I could tell it was set-up for a Mania match. They usually use that camera angle to tease such things.

Carnby

WWE NETWORK Presents, CM Punk: Worst in the World, The Selfish Rise and Self Destruction of Phil Brooks.

kirblar

If I were Cena, I would be incensed at being pencilled in to wrestle Bray at WM. Not because Bray is bad, but because it's such a blatantly dumb way to use your #1 guy.

strobogo

Banned
Lol, what do you want the commentators to do? Qualify every Elgin feat of strength? "OH MY GOD!!! MICHAEL ELGIN IS A FUCKING MACHINE!!! But...that's nothing compared to Antonio Cesaro on RAW this week, of course, because Jimmy Jacobs weighs next to nothing".

I've seen hundreds of Elgin matches - he tries that top rope senton in every one and never, ever hits it. So ridiculously annoying.

It'd be an entirely valid complaint, if it wasn't going entirely against what PWG is and always has been. They've never worried about repeated spots, or guys going all out in every single match - that's just PWG and it's what the fans have come to expect, with every match trying to steal the show.

Honestly, you just sound sick of indie wrestling and I can relate to that, as I've been spending less and less time and money on US indies this past year and can't see that increasing at all. What's next for your random reviews, though? Have you thought about watching a Dragon Gate show? You can see all the big PPVs from last year up at; http://openthedragongate.com/

I am sick of indie wrestling, which is why I haven't watched or kept up with it in years. PWG NEEDS to book their shows with some restraint. It's stupid to build shows like that. I don't care how used to the fans or or what they've come to expect. You have to have pacing on a show, both for the audience and the wrestlers. The Dragon Gate explosion in the US is actually right around the time I checked out, because I thought the DG matches were stupid spot fests that made no sense.

Ithil

Also, I don't know why it wasn't already out there, but I had to make my own image for Triple H staring down Daniel Bryan from this week's Raw. Thankfully I was able to find the clip of the promo on WWE.com. When they did that shot, I could tell it was set-up for a Mania match. They usually use that camera angle to tease such things.

Which is amazing that it apparently took CM Punk burning out and going home, for them to move to the incredibly obvious and fitting match of HHH vs Bryan. Bryan first challenged HHH to a match back in October, and HHH turned him down saying he wasn't a "main event guy" and that HHH only faces main event guys.
That should be a simple set-up for a match later, to prove Bryan is one after all, but they had zero intention of doing said match before now, so it was just a shitty line.

I am sick of indie wrestling, which is why I haven't watched or kept up with it in years. PWG NEEDS to book their shows with some restraint. It's stupid to build shows like that. I don't care how used to the fans or or what they've come to expect. You have to have pacing on a show, both for the audience and the wrestlers. The Dragon Gate explosion in the US is actually right around the time I checked out, because I thought the DG matches were stupid spot fests that made no sense.

The breakneck pace and absurd madness is what made PWG what it is now, not anything else. That's not going to change.

I concur though, naturally. Less is more.

Also, Bryan is either winning the title in a 3 way or making Trips tap. Either way the Superdome is gonna do stuff

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I didn't see the reason for Feb being up early. God damn, that's a ratings bump.

I was banned for more than half the month and still made the wall of shame. I need to shut up.

Kaladin

Oh shit, I didn't see the reason for Feb being up early. God damn, that's a ratings bump.

I was banned for more than half the month and still made the wall of shame. I need to shut up.

And that is with using the OT for threads. We would have needed an OT 2 if we didn't do that.

I predict we'll need an OT 2 in Feb and March.

Ithil

There's a reason WWE shows only have so many long matches and only the top matches get time and crazy spots. They operate under the theory that the quality should come in peaks through the night..
Same deal with NJPW, but different, NJPW believe the show should start with the smallest matches and gradually get bigger with each one until you reach the main event.

I think both are better than the US indie's "everyone try to act like you're in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome".

Kaladin

There's a reason WWE shows only have so many long matches and only the top matches get time and crazy spots. They operate under the theory that the quality should come in peaks through the night..
Same deal with NJPW, but different, NJPW believe the show should start with the smallest matches and gradually get bigger with each one until you reach the main event.

I think both are better than the US indie's "everyone try to act like you're in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome".

To be fair, only PWG really books like that. Most indies book a card that gradually builds to the main events. At the worst, they book a light undercard that builds to a first half main event, with the second half being all main events.

Carnby

Fixed that for you.

Here's a preview,

Nash: "As much as he tried... he... he couldn't make wrestling cool."

Austin: "I can't trust a man who won't have a beer with me. What kind of man doesn't drink?"

HHH: "His ego was ...gigantic."

Mike Graham: " "He set off 600 pipebombs, never drew a dime."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom