• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I make dinner or clean and stuff, but play turn based games at the same time...

not sure what your saying...

I guess I just found it funny that you walk around the house doing mundane chores or getting ready for work or whatever with a DS in your hand all the time. I guess, portable gaming, indeed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If I could transfer my SNES save and unlock the plat on it..sure..why not..

Wazzy

Banned
Excellent post by Narolf! X-2 was such a great game and I never understood the hate. The only complaint I had was that it was 3 characters only. I would have loved to play as Gippal. It was only a minor problem, though.

DasMarcos

Banned
I would really welcome this remake. Still a fine FF for the series as a whole. My only complaint is that it has taken this long to happen. Get your stuff together there SquareEnix.

Yeah, I find it hard to play rpgs on consoles or PCs these days. even if im just sitting around at home I like it right in my hand. I kinda walk around the house with my DS and stuff.

It's like looking in the mirror, I primarily play RPGs on my Vita or DS. It is just difficult to find the time to play long form games (like RPGs) on my TV, as I share it with my wife. Gaming on the go, at home, satisfies my gaming habit, without monopolizing the TV from the Mrs.

jaxword

Excellent post by Narolf! X-2 was such a great game and I never understood the hate. The only complaint I had was that it was 3 characters only. I would have loved to play as Gippal. It was only a minor problem, though.

It was "girly/gay" and "J-pop."

I'm not being flippant; I'm quite legitimately serious that those comprise the majority of complaints, directly or paraphrased. It's a little sad how -phobic gamers can be at times, but eh...just the culture.

The battle system is good, the music was good (and bad in parts), the graphics were top notch, and the story was subjective.

Just like most S-E games, relaly.

Kyon

Banned

<3

#GirlPower>>>>>>>>

jondabomb

I have been looking forward to this since the vita was announced and this was one of the main reasons that I bought a Vita. I really hope that this is the international version though since I live in the US and it never got released here.

jaxword

I wouldn't get my hopes up about it being the International Edition, guys.

That just wouldn't really match S-E's usual approach to remakes/rereleases.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
X-2 is definitely top 5 FF for me. Excellent, excellent music and best version of the ATB.
Outside of a few deliberate moments, I never felt the game was too "girly" or whatever people other excuse people give to brush it off before the first hour.

Exentryk

I'm not being flippant; I'm quite legitimately serious that those comprise the majority of complaints, directly or paraphrased. It's a little sad how -phobic gamers can be at times, but eh...just the culture.

I didn't enjoy the girly dress spheres and the all girl band. I can play with a team of Fang-Lightning-Vanille or Quistis-Rinoa-Selphie however. Now, dissect it whichever way you want.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Does that follow?

FF1 and 2, for example. I'm pretty sure it kept additional content as it moved from WonderSwan to PS1, GBA, PSP and iOS.

What precedent are you referring to?

Skilletor

How would they go about selling the inferior version of the game to people in Japan who have already had the international version released? Are you including KH1.5 in this supposition? That's the international version, no? This is also only the 2nd HD remake they've done, right? What precedent do you have for SEs HD remakes?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is a reason why making your chars into demigods is awesome.

Because you don't like thinking during battles and having your choices have consequences. It's okay, bro. You can tell us how you really feel.

wish i was excited about this, but i already caved & replayed the ps2 versions of ffx (& ffx-2, & ffxii) on my bc ps3 over the last year+...

this's, btw, something i didn't have to do when i replayed the other 'ps2 masterworks' (ico/sotc, dmc1&3, mgs2&3, r&c1-3, okami). i just don't 'get' square-enix' :) ...

Because you don't like thinking during battles and having your choices have consequences. It's okay, bro. You can tell us how you really feel.

What's that got to do with having the ultimate flexibility of making whatever team you want? Would you rather have your characters artificially restricted in what they can or cannot do, or the opposite?

It's okay if that's your preference bro, I totally get that, which is why a lot of people do things like NSG/NSGNSNCNONENNENBB (no Sphere Grid) runs etc. But the key word here is choice.

You still need a lot of thinking/planning/strategizing to use your uber chars when dealing with the Dark Aeons in FF X International. Suggesting otherwise is being willfully disingenuous.

jaxword

How would they go about selling the inferior version of the game to people in Japan who have already had the international version released? Are you including KH1.5 in this supposition? That's the international version, no? This is also only the 2nd HD remake they've done, right? What precedent do you have for SEs HD remakes?

Does that follow?

FF1 and 2, for example. I'm pretty sure it kept additional content as it moved from WonderSwan to PS1, GBA, PSP and iOS.

What precedent are you referring to?

Are those really the "international" versions, though? FF1 and 2 Wonderswan weren't an HD version, they were almost an entirely new game, and subsequent ports changed them up anyways, adding and removing stuff. FF4 is one that comes to mind since the PSP remake used the GBA version without any of the DS's changes.

Really, though, I am thinking about recent releases like:

FFx-2 international
FF12 international
Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International

I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is the only recent one to really buck that trend. Now that I think about it, I don't even think that FF7 international ever really got released here in the US, not that it really was much different.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. Just that it'd be sad to see everyone getting hyped and then getting let down.

yunta_gohan

Neo Member
I remember when i first played FFX a million years ago. I was like "YEAH, this Blitzball looks fun! Oh yeah, i read it all, i know all the rules! Cmon, lets play! It will be great!!!!!"

And then i played the blitzball bits.... and it was maybe the worst videogame experience i had in my life.

Jaja yeah in fact is one of the worst minigames in all the series IMHO

X-2 is definitely top 5 FF for me. Excellent, excellent music and best version of the ATB.
Outside of a few deliberate moments, I never felt the game was too "girly" or whatever people other excuse people give to brush it off before the first hour.

FFX-2 was a excellent game with the second best leveling system after FF12 licence grid system.

I've never understood the hate it gets.

Skilletor

Are those really the "international" versions, though? FF1 and 2 Wonderswan weren't an HD version, they were almost an entirely new game, and subsequent ports changed them up anyways, adding and removing stuff. FF4 is one that comes to mind since the PSP remake used the GBA version without any of the DS's changes.

Really, though, I am thinking about recent releases like:

FFx-2 international
FF12 international
Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International

I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is the only recent one to really buck that trend. Now that I think about it, I don't even think that FF7 international ever really got released here in the US, not that it really was much different.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. Just that it'd be sad to see everyone getting hyped and then getting let down.

But the international versions are available in Japan. It'd be a hard sell to release this game over there with content rolled back to an inferior release.

Wazzy

Banned

The battle system is good, the music was good (and bad in parts), the graphics were top notch, and the story was subjective.

Just like most S-E games, relaly.
Too bad for those people, they missed out on enjoying a fantastic game!

<3

#GirlPower>>>>>>>>
#FlawlessTaste

jaxword

But the international versions are available in Japan. It'd be a hard sell to release this game over there with content rolled back to an inferior release.

Guess we'll find out.

I find it ironic that people are so specifically optimistic about this particular S-E release but other threads are so full of gloom and doom moaning. I'm usually the one to tell people to not be so moany and downcast, so it's just strange to see the optimism surge.

Shahed

While the gameplay in FFX-2 was good, it's one the most weaker FF's overall for me. And yes I put it all down to the girly/gay pop star stuff and the whole style of the game.

Call it silly if you want, but if a game is fun to play, but the whole presentation annoys the heck out of you, then it sours the whole experience. Call it similar to Bayonetta or Star Ocean 4 in where I liked actually playing said game, but the rest of it utterly grating

And it'd be moronic not to have the International version. Not so much for the US, but for Japan and the EU. They couldn't release the game here with less content than what we had in the first place

While the gameplay in FFX-2 was good, it's one the most weaker FF's overall for me. And yes I put it all down to the girly/gay pop star stuff and the whole style of the game.

Call it silly if you want, but if a game is fun to play, but the whole presentation annoys the heck out of you, then it sours the whole experience. Call it similar to Bayonetta or Star Ocean 4 in where I liked actually playing said game, but the rest of it annoyed the heck out of me.

Bam.

I agree.

Skyzard

Banned
FFX was the last final fantasy I played so it does seem a little soon hah but whatevs definitely picking it up to have a nice unscratchable set of 7-10 to play in a little while. XII and XIII still in box...somewhere. I hope! Think I got X-2 as well.. didn't even know XIII-2 was out.

FFX was the last final fantasy I played so it does seem a little soon hah but whatevs definitely picking it up to have a nice unscratchable set of 7-10 to play in a little while. XII and XIII still in box...somewhere. I hope! Think I got X-2 as well.. didn't even know XIII-2 was out.

Where have you been?

That doesn't really look that impressive at all and honestly if its taken them over a year jsut to get to this point Square might as well pack it up.

Kyon

Banned

Neither did the rest of the world :)

B.K.

What I hated most about X-2 was the non-linear mission based story. I haven't played a mission based RPG yet that had a good story.

Kyon

Banned
What I hated most about X-2 was the non-linear mission based story. I haven't played a mission based RPG yet that had a good story.

After how linear X (story wise I mean it wasn't a damn straight line like XIII) was I think this was a good thing? Lol

Skyzard

Banned
Where have you been?

Trying to resist more FF games for now... usually I milk games dry, they take years to finish.. FF is like a prison sentence for my other games and I'm behind by so much already..

But yeah to have missed it... I don't know how that happens :S

Man, I'd kill for a remake with visuals close to the CGI cutscenes. Always thought it was weird how certain characters looked very different in them (Tidus looked somewhat Asian as opposed to Meg Ryan, for example).

Despite the rather crappy writing and unskippable cutscenes, it's still probably my favorite FF game. 12's MMO approach bored the hell out of me.

Kyon

Banned
You can skip cutscenes in the real FFX
tho
slut.gif

Aurizen

the things i hope to see:
NG+
cross play so i can transfer my saves between the two
new content that has never been in the game before!

Haunted

after seeing these screens this morning and being unimpressed with them I decided to try out PCSX2 and my copy of FFXII. I was kind of waiting for this release but I don't see the point anymore when I can get these visuals right now with all my old FF games.
FFXII shows amazingly well in an emulator. Faces, models, environments, really good for a 2006 game.

Shame about the pixelated HUD and icons, but there are basically no games from the PS2 generation that used larger assets for those.

Kyon

Banned
the things i hope to see:
NG+
cross play so i can transfer my saves between the two
new content that has never been in the game before!

Unworthy Americans who getting International is extra enough. Good thing I only imported FFX and FFX-2 :)

Aurizen

Unworthy Americans who getting International is extra enough. Good thing I only imported FFX and FFX-2 :)

lol unworthy? i concur sir. most of us have already played and experienced, there should be something new included in the game maybe items or moves or something, I mean persona 4 golden has great stuff in it maybe square may do the same.

still looks like a ps2 game to me. I thought they took so long because they were making it look like ff13 at least. SE has been embarrassing themselves this gen. Someone needs to get fired. They have delayed so many games and maybe even cancelled some at this point. They have barely released anything in the last 7 years. I hope this trend will not carry on next gen.

Skilletor

still looks like a ps2 game to me. I thought they took so long because they were making it look like ff13 at least. SE has been embarrassing themselves this gen. Someone needs to get fired. They have delayed so many games and maybe even cancelled some at this point. They have barely released anything in the last 7 years. I hope this trend will not carry on next gen.

That would be silly. Doing that would take as much effort as a new game. I don't know why anybody would think they would do that.

They've released plenty in the past 7 years. some of my favorite games they've ever released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom