• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
iQlLrsCfR5CU6.gif

The hell is this gif? Mike Ross never fails to impress and make me laugh.

No need to hide your love of Naruto.

I knew I could count on you Kalamari.

I thought third person shooter Gundam Extreme Versus got good entrants at the last fighting game tournament it showed up at?
But will it stick?

Catherine had some time in the sun as well, but then folks moved on. My hunch is that Gundan Extreme Versus will tell a similar story, though I would be glad to be wrong. Maybe, with the advent of Smash Bros at Evo, the community will sample some different foods.

Warpticon

Problem with a serious Naruto game for competitive play is the IP itself. It seems like a lot of people hate Naruto. Triforce for example is in love with Bleach and thinks he's one of the characters.

Sanford, Rahsaan, and Jago came to Little Rock a few years ago for a gaming con. I remember sitting on a couch with Sanford and some random cosplayer chick and talking about Bleach.

Shouta

But will it stick?

Catherine had some time in the sun as well, but then folks moved on. My hunch is that Gundan Extreme Versus will tell a similar story, though I would be glad to be wrong. Maybe, with the advent of Smash Bros at Evo, the community will sample some different foods.

Gundam doesn't have a wide release in the US so it's going to be hard to get new folks to play. It retains players well though.

It's outside of the skill scope for most competitive players though. It focuses on way more and way different things than most FGs do. That makes it hard for casual folks to jump in without spending a little bit of time adjusting to the style. It's really easy to play but it's a really foreign style.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No need to hide your love of Naruto.

I like the kid with the bowl cut because he reminds me of somebody.

Until proven otherwise.

Sanford, Rahsaan, and Jago came to Little Rock a few years ago for a gaming con. I remember sitting on a couch with Sanford and some random cosplayer chick and talking about Bleach.

There was that video where they all sit around a table and act out as Bleach characters or something. And I noticed him on mic talking about Bleach a lot.

Gundam is sort of like Smash in that, they have their own dedicated scene but there aren't that many players that cross over.
There were a lot of Gundam-only players that were at SCR that didn't play any other games. I don't really think it matters much if Gundam thrives in the FGC. It'd be nice if there was more mingling, but their scene doesn't really need ours.

Fun Fact: The game is the #1 most popular game in Japanese arcades, last time the game got dethroned was like the first month of vanilla P4U.

Shouta

Gundam is sort of like Smash in that, they have their own dedicated scene but there aren't that many players that cross over.
There were a lot of Gundam-only players that were at SCR that didn't play any other games. I don't really think it matters much if Gundam thrives in the FGC. It'd be nice if there was more mingling, but their scene doesn't really need ours.

Fun Fact: The game is the #1 most popular game in Japanese arcades, last time the game got dethroned was like the first month of vanilla P4U.

The number of good (for the US) Gundam players that cross-over is probably in the single digits. The ones that do cross-over with ArcSys games. I'm the only one that crosses over to SF and 3D games, lol.

Didn't DBFC out of all games temporarily upset it when it first came out?

Gundam doesn't have a wide release in the US so it's going to be hard to get new folks to play. It retains players well though.

It's outside of the skill scope for most competitive players though. It focuses on way more and way different things than most FGs do. That makes it hard for casual folks to jump in without spending a little bit of time adjusting to the style. It's really easy to play but it's a really foreign style.
How much does it play like Zone of the Enders PvP?

soakrates

I really need to start playing Gundam more. Once Sega Cup is over I'll probably pick it back up. That is, if FFXIV doesn't keep disintegrating all of my free time.

It's lonely on Diabolos, please halp. :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
REO hardly shows up anywhere so I forgot he existed. Alright Rico is the best player in NY that goes to Next Level! Even on paper, you can't really say someone is the best player if they don't go out and prove it. Like I would say Daigo is the best SFIV player in the world but he doesn't go out much to prove so as of right now it's a toss up since Infiltration has apparently caught the Iverson bug.

Shouta

How much does it play like Zone of the Enders PvP?

It's closer to VOOT in style and play but with simple controls, bigger arenas, and a better balance between shooting/melee. ZOE VS mode was basically run around and melee each other, occasionally shooting a laser, no?

REO hardly shows up anywhere so I forgot he existed. Alright Rico is the best player in NY that goes to Next Level! Even on paper, you can't really say someone is the best player if they don't go out and prove it. Like I would say Daigo is the best SFIV player in the world but he doesn't go out much to prove so as of right now it's a toss up since Infiltration has apparently caught the Iverson bug.

REO just went to Final Round and placed 5th while Rico failed to place. He then won a Break weekly and a Next Level, beating Rico in the process.

Next Level is basically dead again anyway. All those guys go to The Break, which Jupiter is currently dominating.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I thought the Break was dead? Nobody ever talks about the Break anymore. And I haven't seen Jaxel since he was laying on the floor trying to fix a computer with that EMP guy he hangs out with, forgot his name.

Beckx

RoI should have a bigger scene for the EXVS system than Gundam simply because it's not an expensive import only game.

Whether that scene has any crossover with the FGC or not is an open question.

I've been out of it lately, just wanted to say hi and I love you all.

Who do I gotta stalk to get RoI alpha invites?!

I thought the Break was dead? Nobody ever talks about the Break anymore. And I haven't seen Jaxel since he was laying on the floor trying to fix a computer with that EMP guy he hangs out with, forgot his name.

I think Marvel is dead there but Injustice is big there. Decent turnout and strong competition every week.

K.Sabot

Gundam fans should turn heel and switch to RoI out of spite for never getting an VS game in english.

It will already be bigger than gundam anyways by the nature of it being a F2P PC game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Anyone know the specifics on Wesker's counters? I know heavy is a projectile counter (does it work on assist too?) but what do his light and medium versions counter?

Lemstar

Anyone know the specifics on Wesker's counters? I know heavy is a projectile counter (does it work on assist too?) but what do his light and medium versions counter?
L counters high and M counters low. (All three versions, as well as super counter, are 5f startup.)

Mid/high and low.

It's closer to VOOT in style and play but with simple controls, bigger arenas, and a better balance between shooting/melee. ZOE VS mode was basically run around and melee each other, occasionally shooting a laser, no?
I don't know how ZOE vs. was supposed to be played. I just messed around in it against my sister as a kid. Lots of pewpew followed by sword fights. I meant more about the control and feel than the balance.

Shouta

Mid/high and low.

I don't know how ZOE vs. was supposed to be played. I just messed around in it against my sister as a kid. Lots of pewpew followed by sword fights. I meant more about the control and feel than the balance.

It'd still be closer to VOOT than ZOE as I recall. lol

I really need to start playing Gundam more. Once Sega Cup is over I'll probably pick it back up. That is, if FFXIV doesn't keep disintegrating all of my free time.

It's lonely on Diabolos, please halp. :(

I think I remember playing vanilla D3 with you (Vanilla players are like PTSD victims, Jay Wilson shouldn't have doubled it), unless that's someone else. I don't remember your account name though since there are a lot of people who haven't logged on forever in my friends list.

soakrates

I think I remember playing vanilla D3 with you (Vanilla players are like PTSD victims, Jay Wilson shouldn't have doubled it), unless that's someone else. I don't remember your account name though since there are a lot of people who haven't logged on forever in my friends list.
Oh I've never played D3. Diabolos is a FFXIV server, if that's what you were referring to.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I just realized that FGW and major threads are literally the only things I read/post in anymore

rip in peace the rest of gaf

Top Bottom