• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

Horseress

Looks like Ultra's japanese cover is very different.

pro_disc_img01.png

They might as well go full crazy and put in playable Dojima.

Full crazy? Not sure what you mean.

But anyway, based on the trailer it looks like she will be all about strange moves, unusual angled hits and short/bad ranges. Will need to see more obviously, but doesn't look like somebody I'd enjoy playing.

Horseress

I'm not an expert in SFIV, so help me out understanding something: why are Chun and Juri bad in AE2012? And what change made them good in Ultra (at least everyone says they're good now)?

RecklessWolf

Neo Member
The fact Juri's medium fireball now hits crouching characters makes her zoning way better. And her normals were buffed in general. Also EX pinwheel now has better utility as a reversal. Before it could stuffed by a lot of normals during start up. Since it was her only reversal you can see how that would be a problem. The counter was really risky. Besides that I don't think she was that bad.

I'm not an expert in SFIV, so help me out understanding something: why are Chun and Juri bad in AE2012? And what change made them good in Ultra (at least everyone says they're good now)?

They were not that bad, but essentially the problem was they got bodied hard on wakeup (For example Chun needs meter for ex-sbk and even then it isn't a great option). The idea being that vortex characters in general were nerfed by system changes, so in Ultra they should be a lot stronger because of it (along with other buffs like better jump and hatsandshoe breaking armour).

Remains to be seen.

After scrolling down that product page for USFIV and taking my first good look at the new alts, I just realized that they're the closest thing we're ever going to get to a Red Earth sequel.

SimSimIV

The fact Juri's medium fireball now hits crouching characters makes her zoning way better. And her normals were buffed in general. Also EX pinwheel now has better utility as a reversal. Before it could stuffed by a lot of normals during start up. Since it was her only reversal you can see how that would be a problem. The counter was really risky. Besides that I don't think she was that bad.

Is "a reversal" really defined as an attacking move? Because I have always thought of Dhalsim's tp as a reversal move (as you can reversal tp), and Juri has her tp she can use as reversal.

Infinite

Well Juri wasn't 'bad' but she lost out when she was on her back. She got more invincibility to her EX Senpusha which makes it a better reversal now and with the general system changes she doesn't really have to worry about being vortexed to death. Her EX dive kick now requires manual inputs for the follow ups and you can control it's trajectory which makes that better. She also got better normals too. I think her more damaging BnBs are easier now as well due to some frame data changes.

RecklessWolf

Neo Member
I guess you could. I don't tend to use it in that fashion since you get full combo punished if you make a bad read with it. Does that happen to Sim?

I usually on use the regular counter to get around fireball zoning or obvious jump-ins when I want out the corner. EX counter (katsuhi?) is good ace up the sleeve if you havent shown it yet since you can cross the opponent up with an up counter.

Beckx

OMG. I just read the overnight NLBC posts and now I'm living in fear of someone giffing Smug and posting it here.

I cannot believe there was a Caddyshack moment on stream.

Chaos Code community manager might get thrown user the bus for this one, but he basically had to yank the chain of the devs and get them to a) actually get them to develop netcode for the upcoming patch and b) convince them to drop their shitty in-house implementation.

So now they're trying to license ASW netcode (which is expensive) or GGPO (which is the backup option instead of the primary one for fuck who knows why)
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1gvli

Chaos Code community manager might get thrown user the bus for this one, but he basically had to yank the chain of the devs and get them to a) actually get them to develop netcode for the upcoming patch and b) convince them to drop their shitty in-house implementation.

So now they're trying to license ASW netcode (which is expensive) or GGPO (which is the backup option instead of the primary one for fuck who knows why)

Because historically it runs like shit on Gen7 consoles.

SimSimIV

I guess you could. I don't tend to use it in that fashion since you get full combo punished if you make a bad read with it. Does that happen to Sim?

I usually on use the regular counter to get around fireball zoning or obvious jump-ins when I want out the corner. EX counter (katsuhi?) is good ace up the sleeve if you havent shown it yet since you can cross the opponent up with an up counter.

Yes that happens to Sim. But Sim is more vulnerable due to longer recovery (?) and Limited versions of teleports I think.

FYI, Skullgirls: Encore will be free on PS+ this month.

Edit: Even if you don't like Skullgirls, I recommend giving this a try just so you can see what GooeyHeat is talking about. The netcode is incredible.

GooeyHeat

Because historically it runs like shit on Gen7 consoles.
Of the three games I played on those consoles that used GGPO, two of them were great, those being Marvel vs. Capcom Origins and Skullgirls.

It's too bad that the first console game to use GGPO was 3rd Strike and that the implementation was messed up. It seems to have soured everybody on the idea.

JeTmAn81

FYI, Skullgirls: Encore will be free on PS+ this month.

Edit: Even if you don't like Skullgirls, I recommend giving this a try just so you can see what GooeyHeat is talking about. The netcode is incredible.

Wow, where'd this news come from? So many fighting games for me lately. SFxT was on Plus for Vita recently, I just bought Injustice on sale and now Skullgirls. Good times.

Kalamari

I happened to come across a good youtube channel for airdashing learning videos and character videos.

novriltataki

The Airdash Academy videos are good at showing the basics of airdashing and the Guilty Bits videos show some of the basics to the different GG characters. There are only seven Airdash Academy videos as of now, but I think more will be made in the future.

I happened to come across a good youtube channel for airdashing learning videos and character videos.

novriltataki

The Airdash Academy videos are good at showing the basics of airdashing and the Guilty Bits videos show some of the basics to the different GG characters. There are only seven Airdash Academy videos as of now, but I think more will be made in the future.

that YT channel also has good online play Zangief strats too, lol

That's good news. I hope the CM doesn't get in trouble for this. Hell, this is something they should have mentioned months ago - someone at FK Digital mentioned working on some sort of netcode for the original home port, way before it actually got ported, and the silence on that front has reflected much more poorly on them than the limitations they've had to deal with. But at least they're making progress.

Shouta

Basically, poor options against the vortex characters. They're solid overall outside of that fact though. Infiltration has shown solid Chun play recently that's been highly effective. Juri can be the same too though she fares a little worse because she doesn't have Chun-reach.

alstein

That's good news. I hope the CM doesn't get in trouble for this. Hell, this is something they should have mentioned months ago - someone at FK Digital mentioned working on some sort of netcode for the original home port, way before it actually got ported, and the silence on that front has reflected much more poorly on them than the limitations they've had to deal with. But at least they're making progress.

If it's Tenryo, he's (think it's a he) has worked tirelessly for the game, and deserves a good bit of the credit.

I'll give him props over on GAF. If the netcode is good I'll buy the game- I refuse to buy a game without netcode in 2011 much less 2014 though.

Starting to get bit by the fighting game bug again after a LONG hiatus. I need to pay more attention to how things work, though. Spent hours last night going through some of the P4A challenges using the legit inputs, only to realize I could've just buttonmashed to victory...

Doing Elizabeth's #11 was painful, especially since after I pulled it off, I realized that I only had to mash A a bunch of times... And yes, I saw the button prompts to the side, they just didn't register with me until after the fact.

Also messed around with Skullgirls/Big Band. Fun character, but I think SG is too much for my aging brain to handle.

.la1n

Squigly is actually still free at the moment on PS3. Not sure when she'll start costing money though.

I believe she may be going paid before the game is available as a freebie on PS+. Someone mentioned it in the US PS+ May thread. Speaking of SkullGirls, big band is so much damn fun to play, probably the only character I have found in the game so far that I genuinely enjoy learning.

Basically, poor options against the vortex characters. They're solid overall outside of that fact though. Infiltration has shown solid Chun play recently that's been highly effective. Juri can be the same too though she fares a little worse because she doesn't have Chun-reach.

Lack burst damage, no set play after throw, no unblockable set up. They are too honest. This includes Dictator, Guile, Dee Jay...probably all the charge character.

Kumubou

My understanding as to why GGPO is the back-up option is because the internals of the game don't provide the functionality GGPO needs. I suspect that large chunks of the code base would have to be ripped out and rewritten to get GGPO to work. Whereas using ArcSys's libraries would be orders of maginitude easier to implement. That and I would imagine that there would be a lot more support from ArcSys in that instance.

Honestly, I don't know why they're bothering -- I don't see how the economics of it work out at all in either instance.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Must've been playing Deejay, amirite

Ouch. Too soon Enzo.

YO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJJDf2jv88

First trailer for the standalone Lethal League. Get Hype.

For once I feel hype for a sports game. Candyman shall be my main.

so why is the james chen- seth killian commentator combo the go to for grand finals?

ultra-killian not ethnic enough?

Nah man, we need a platano up there.

Viscant finally confirmed Cloud805 is his son.

Wow, this was surely a different time for him.

He tried a few months ago but doesn't have an email address from a non-free provider

I'm pretty sure if he pays for his cable/internet he has a non-free email. I know in my area you can register for an email under your provider. We need more anime like Viscant in this thread Kappa.

FSLink

Banned
I think I used my MSN e-mail before the requirements kicked in...>_>

I should change it since I don't even use that e-mail anymore.

Just a heads up:

If you're looking for a Sanwa stick and 8 sanwa buttons, you can get the WiiU TTT2 stick for about 5 bucks more than the cost of those parts new. Mad Catz is listed as amazon third party seller, so there or the mad Catz website will work.

I don't know what you'd do with the Wii pcb though. Does it work on PC?

It's about $57 with shipping.

Top Bottom