• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 27 - Aug 2 | Beta luck next time

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Saw tragic beasting on Valle last night. (Rising Thunder)
Good stuff dude.

Also shotouts to pockets and Mike "Mike 'Mike' Ross" Ross for asking Magus1234 to come back

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Rising Thunder combo system looks really good... :O~

One of the things that SFV needs to do maybe is spice up the combo system a bit. But, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Capcom.

Kikujiro

Capcom Street Fighter V excutive producer Ono said, Shanghai is so hot and there are 500 thousands Chinese players has registered for the beta. He mentioned that Street Fighter IV has launched for 7 years, and Street Fighter 30th anniversary is up coming. Moreover, he also confirmed that Chinese simplified edition of Street Fighter V is in preparing for China. Soeda from Sony Computer Entertainment Shanghai also announced that Capcom Pro Tour Asia Shanghai qualifier and finale for Ultra Street Fighter IV is coming to Chinajoy on 1st of August, with Street Fighter V and Ultra Street Fighter IV playable in Chinajoy on PlayStation booth.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1086336

I guess a lot of them are PC players.

Clawww

Speaking of Gootecks and Mike Ross credibility

Did anyone notice in Pro Talk yesterday, Hellpockets was talking about how he wished we had FGC events with like a title card and undercards. He mentioned that Gootecks and Mike had tried doing that with Barfights a few years ago and wondered why it never took off. Mike got kind of quiet, and I doubt he wanted to talk about it since that's when his staged matches with Jago got started.

lol that sucks

i think barfights was a cool concept. it would actually work better today because the scene has established some big (and medium) names, although it might also be more expensive to arrange actually hype flights since you would need players from all over the country like smug or du to make it worthwhile.

SamVimes

Not going to happen because unlike SFxT, CvS2 was actually played at EVO for quite a while.

I couldn't find that Gootecks SFxT rant..

Also cvs2 was considered much better than 3rd strike (the game that almost made daigo quit fighting games) by many people at the time already, SFxT has been considered ass ever since a couple of months after the release.

NEO0MJ

Looks interesting with how different the characters are.

I wonder if like 10 years from now, folks end up revering the game like a CvS2 or something

World Heroes tier at best.

Not going to happen because unlike SFxT, CvS2 was actually played at EVO for quite a while.

Was interested in seeing that. Your talks about them makes me wonder how many early top SF IV are faring right now. The guys who had a bit of an edge at the start but fell from the herd.

Feel like Jago moved on from EMP and fighting games. After hearing about Triforce, I think I would quit gaming too. He is in a much more competitive field of dancing. That is not an easy gig.
Last I heard Magus was learning to play Tekkan and had a 9-5. Probably a jobber now.

I don't know what happened to Darry but I didn't like Darry's commentary. He looks like a Darry.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Hmm was the Gootecks rant the one where he said big fuck you to someone. He did not name names but many people thought it was Mr Wizard he was giving the big fuck you to, others thought it was Ross.

Him and Ross were not seen together for a while after that.

Truly was a low point thankfully he recovered from it and it's in the past.

alstein

Infiltration liked SFxT.

A lot of people liked SFxT.

Probably because it's a better game than people give it credit for.

It became one. It's initial version was ass- and that was the version that the hype machine was out on.

It's the game that made me pickier about what I buy FG-wise.

To be fair, you can be a shill and still like the games you're selling. It's hard to say Mike Ross was lying that he loved the game when he and combo made top 4 at EVO.

SFxT was a good game that was legitimately popular among top players that happened to have some unfortunate circumstances surrounding it.

smurfx

get some go again
Hmm was the Gootecks rant the one where he said big fuck you to someone. He did not name names but many people thought it was Mr Wizard he was giving the big fuck you to, others thought it was Ross.

Truly was low point thankfully he recovered from it and it's in the past.
i swear i remember it being revealed who he cursed out but i forgot who it was. it wasn't mike ross or arturo sanchez.

I didn't like the Neon look of the SFxT.

The sound effects are atrocious.

Which reminds me. The "blocking" sound effect in SFV is terrible.

Oh man I forgot about the sound/noise. UGH. Just not a fan of the look. I did like the air juggle to ground combo conversion but it was a harsh sounding game. Juri tier annoying.

DedValve

Banned
Played some Skullgirls and wow this game is really, really fun. Will buy when it comes out on vita hopefully soon.

Peacock and Beowulf are my faves.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Feel like Jago moved on from EMP and fighting games. After hearing about Triforce, I think I would quit gaming too. He is in a much more competitive field of dancing. That is not an easy gig.
Last I heard Magus was learning to play Tekkan and had a 9-5. Probably a jobber now.

I don't know what happened to Darry but I didn't like Darry's commentary. He looks like a Darry.
Last time i heard Magus is doing well in life. (And hooked to Fina Fantasy XIV)
Dunno about DarryH

The Keystone streams were the very first streams i've ever watched.
<3 Haunts <3 (Mr Jared was a cool cat back then)

Shouta

So you must still be playing SFxT right now then right?

I'd still be playing it if there were opponents I could play. Shame the rollback netcode fucking kills me.

The game was killed by poor decision making by Capcom (DLC, Gems) and SF4 game habits (jabs into everything, etc)

Actually, that's what makes me happy about SF5 just killing jab confirms. No more prorated combos.

Same! I was in crunchmode at my old job. While things were rendering and not on fire I would listen/watch those guys on stream. They really helped during the long days especially when I had to work obscene hours on sometimes Vaporware. They reminded me of college TV or local access TV.

On the contrary, I felt many people wanted an alternative to SFIV and gave SFxT a serious shot.

The game was just not that good.

A lot of people couldn't even get past the wake up game because it wasn't identical to SF4's. The SFxT forums on SRK saw all sorts of nonsense during that period.

"OMG people can just roll away for 'free'! How am I supposed to set up my vortexes now? I'm going back to SF4!"

(Meanwhile, people with brains could bait out rolls, cross people up, and get full combos.)

It became one. It's initial version was ass- and that was the version that the hype machine was out on.

It's the game that made me pickier about what I buy FG-wise.

The vanilla version was no more "ass" than most vanilla versions of fighting games. MKX had tons of infinites, glitches, and "ass"...and how's that PC version? What about the PS3 and Xbox360 versions? Yeah.
Vanilla SF4 was busted, too. The difference is the FGC's willingness to forgive. The controversy surrounding the game was the problem in that regard.

Dahbomb

what happened to magus? I actually liked him on commentary
FF14 vortex last we heard.

Truly was a low point thankfully he recovered from it and it's in the past.
Yeah that's the one.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I think Keystone was one of the first weekly's I watched shit was funny as fuck with people getting mad drunk and playing SF.

Also, Sp00kys house stream with him, Art, Nerdjosh, Minh, and few others was one of the first ones I watched for home version of SFIV.

Fersis

what happened to magus? I actually liked him on commentary

He cleaned up, got a job and got hooked on Final Fantasy XIV.
Im doing my best bothering him to come back though

Shouta

You can totally confirm off of jabs. I was doing it all through out the beta.

Sure. You can definitely confirm off 1, maybe 2 jabs. Any more and the opponent is pushed out of range now before you can do bigger buttons

The real issue is multiple jabs as a confirm since they're low damage and cause the big hits that follow to have reduced damage. It's really common in general USF4 play and why most combos don't really break 20-25% damage. If you look at E.ryu, he has big damage but that's partially because folks don't confirm into it using jab, it's cr.mk xx fireball fadc, counter hit and etc which means the big hits aren't getting prorated as hard, lol.

In SFxT, good combos that started with mediums regularly broke 50% damage for 1 bar but was reduced to like 25-30% every time you used a few jabs or went into the ABC launcher series.

Cammy can definitely do it, no problem

Yup, that's c.lp c.lp hah

I think Cammy is the only one that can do cr.lp, cr.lp. I think everyone else is just 1 jab then other stuff or all jabs. I know Birdie can do lp, lp, lk, lp rush but that's all lights lol

i swear i remember it being revealed who he cursed out but i forgot who it was. it wasn't mike ross or arturo sanchez.

Yeah Gootecks did this tell-all and it became really obvious who he was talking about, but it's hard to remember the details now. I think it had something to do with being told they couldn't monetize tutorial videos for Capcom games.

Edit: Yeah, that was it. Brady or Prima or someone had exclusive rights to pay-to-watch video tutorials and Gootecks got a C&D on the content he was making.

Dahbomb

Ryu can do crouch lights into stand Jab into Medium, Heavy etc.

The range on the stand jab is really short though but it's possible.

Nyoro SF

I was privy to know who Gootecks was cursing out at the time.
However revealing it at this point is bad because relations have never been better between the parties and that is long behind them. I don't think you'll see a C&D like that again since it was wholly based on misguided thinking.

Sure. You can definitely confirm off 1, maybe 2 jabs. Any more and the opponent is pushed out of range now before you can do bigger buttons

The real issue is multiple jabs as a confirm since they're low damage and cause the big hits that follow to have reduced damage. It's really common in general USF4 play and why most combos don't really break 20-25% damage. If you look at E.ryu, he has big damage but that's partially because folks don't confirm into it using jab, it's cr.mk xx fireball fadc, counter hit and etc which means the big hits aren't getting prorated as hard, lol.

In SFxT, good combos that started with mediums regularly broke 50% damage for 1 bar but was reduced to like 25-30% every time you used a few jabs or went into the ABC launcher series.

I think Cammy is the only one that can do cr.lp, cr.lp. I think everyone else is just 1 jab then other stuff or all jabs. I know Birdie can do lp, lp, lk, lp rush but that's all lights lol

Nash can do c.Lk c. lk. c.lp LK Sonic Saw. That's what I was doing the whole beta for a hit confirm. You can tack a super on the end of that too if you have it. If you want to blow some meter EX Sonic Saw comboed as well.

Most crouching light attacks can't be comboed into mediums if that's what you mean by all of this but standing lights sure can. Nash s.lk gave so much advantage you could pretty much link everything off of it. If you were close enough you could do s.lk s.lk b+mk into whatever as a hit confirm or just do the s.lp s.lk target combo into b+mk.

Also you have to remember Shouta that SFxT had two life bars as well. Comparing damage between a Tag game and a none Tag game doesn't really work.

Krackatoa

The vanilla version was no more "ass" than most vanilla versions of fighting games. MKX had tons of infinites, glitches, and "ass"...and how's that PC version? What about the PS3 and Xbox360 versions? Yeah.
Vanilla SF4 was busted, too. The difference is the FGC's willingness to forgive. The controversy surrounding the game was the problem in that regard.

Note that the PC version is dead and no one I know who has a history in other genres of 2D fighting games takes MKX seriously. :<

Vanilla SFIV did well because there was nothing else. Everyone was ass, and the gameplay was still Street Fighter.

Vanilla SFxT had one glaringly obvious flaw that drove everyone I knew away from it: Throws were complete garbage. That alone made turtling awful to deal with. It wasn't until throws removed red life and rolls were throw vulnerable that the game became great. When someone would ask me "How do I punish people rolling away with my character?" and the answer is "You don't unless you're X, Y or Z character with an anti-roll setup." they go back to SFIV.

Shouta

Most crouching light attacks can't be comboed into mediums if that's what you mean by all of this but standing lights sure can. Nash s.lk gave so much advantage you could pretty much link everything off of it. If you were close enough you could do s.lk s.lk b+mk into whatever or just do the s.lp s.lk target combo into b+mk.

Also you have to remember Shouta that SFxT had two life bars as well. Comparing damage between a Tag game and a none Tag games doesn't really work.

Yeah, I usually mean crouching lights since most folks crouch jab in USF4. Actually, that's sort of interesting that standing ones work but not lights. I didn't play much Nash after Birdie got unlocked.

Standing light confirms working is interesting because while it lets you do the stuff like from USF4, it exposes to you low attacks in the process. Hmm, that's some food for thought for when the game gets released. Thanks for the Nash info. =o

On SFxT, if I was talking about how combo damage affected game speed, I'd agree. However, I really was just speaking about combo damage by itself and how jabs affect that.

I mean my point in general is that light confirms reduce damage and that the less viable they are, the more damage characters can do since they'll be forced to use mediums and the like. If we logically continue the conversation then yeah, that'll go to game speed lol.

vocab

I'm completely fine with SFV being basic. I think the bigger worry is there going to be any sort of depth? Will there even be anything that warrants a skill gap outside of fighting game fundamentals? Street Fighter at its core was never about parries or supers. However, we just expect more from a fighting game in 2015-2016. Worst case scenario, SFV will be a game you can pick up, and enjoy, but you'll go back to other fighting games because they have more to it.

Top Bottom