• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 27 - Aug 2 | Beta luck next time

Loona

Yeah, gameplay is what I'm most interested in as well.

The old rumor was that it would be more like 98 with simpler combos but I wonder if there is a chance that they will give tag mechanics another shot ala KOF2003 and KOFXI.

I wouldn't expect them to mess around with the complexities of tag mechanics in 3D, as much as I liked that change for 2003 and XI - maybe when they're a bit more experienced with that kind of tech.

BadWolf

I wouldn't expect them to mess around with the complexities of tag mechanics in 3D, as much as I liked that change for 2003 and XI - maybe when they're a bit more experienced with that kind of tech.

Tbh I'm expecting the gameplay to still be very much 2D, just the visuals going 3D, so something like tagging shouldn't be an issue for them to incorporate. Not to mention they have experience from working on the Maximum Impact games.

With no new Marvel, Tekken going back to singles etc. it would also differentiate XIV and increase the pace of matches.

I'm cool with whichever way they go.

Sayad

Haven't they been putting up those job listings for years now!!

Consumer game of planning business
· Fighting game planning business of KOF

Qualification requirements
Limited to planning business experience of the consumer game
In particular, the following business experience welcome
· Fighting game development experience
Some of those listings seem like they're for critical positions(gameplay/system design?!), which, if so, means we wont be seeing the game any time soon. :(

After seeing DQ11 on 3DS I wonder what an FG would be like with a separate 16 bit graphics screen mimicking the main screen action, lol.

I guess SC1 kinda did it with VMU animations, but that was pretty rudimentary.

Loona

Tbh I'm expecting the gameplay to still be very much 2D, just the visuals going 3D, so something like tagging shouldn't be an issue for them to incorporate. Not to mention they have experience from working on the Maximum Impact games.

With no new Marvel, Tekken going back to singles etc. it would also differentiate XIV and increase the pace of matches.

I'm cool with whichever way they go.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the programming, but I figure swapping out whole models and data associated with completely different gameplay, and doing it seamlessly. is a layer com complexity somewhat above a more traditional system, and that's not even considering issues like possible clipping through stage elements and character models that remain on screen during the tag.

notworksafe

HDR was such a disappointment. I just want an online, arcade perfect version of ST on a console without a rebalance, baby mode controls, and ugly ass Udon art. Why is this impossible?

Because it wouldn't make any money :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
HDR was such a disappointment. I just want an online, arcade perfect version of ST on a console without a rebalance, baby mode controls, and ugly ass Udon art. Why is this impossible?

Because it wouldn't make any money :(

Honestly the worst part about HDR was that it didn't have a 3p 3k input for pad players. That's all it needed fuck the rebalance and "baby mode controls"

Tripon

Looks like UMvC3 is a go for CEOtaku.

Still trying to decide the Final Official Game list for #CEOTaku. I think this is a good start. Missing anything?

CLCXMgAWwAQz--T.png

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/626166607098847232

Hex

Banned
Absolutely embarrassing how much of a hard time that I am having doing Canon Spikes with Cammie.
I never used to have issues with Dragon Punches.
It is going to be a looooooong road.

Getting kinda worried bout Sf5 which is silly cuz everyone seems to love it so far. Game just has a lot to live up to and if it's boring or not great for spectators then the entire fgc misses a big opportunity for growth.

Just a few years ago, the FGC thought SF4 was the most boring game out there because matches were too long, there was no damage, it was too defensive, and ultras were stupid.

SF5 is the exact opposite of all these things, and people are getting worried that the game is too boring?

First of all, if SF5 is too boring, the FGC needs to HOLD THAT, because you guys DEMANDED SF5 to be what it is. FGC needs to accept responsibility for it's actions for once.

Second, people need to understand that game mechanics have nothing to do with hype. If 200,000 can sit there watching Jigglypuff and Fox run away from each other for seven minutes...if 250,000 people can sit there watching Chun and Elena lame each other out...then people can easily watch SF5.

Any fighting game can be hype if the audience is invested in it.

This is exactly what Alex Valle was talking about. It's time for spectators to start using their brains. They need to start understanding the decision making and the gameplay, rather than just the bells and whistles. That's how SF4 got to where it is, which quarter million viewer streams. LOTS of people play it, so a larger portion of the audience can actually understand what's going on. That is what leads to an invested audience.

SF5 is more than capable of achieving the same levels of excitement that SF4 did...if Capcom plays their cards right.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
isn't that what you niggas wanted

I'm down with that. What I'm worried about is what that means as far as broader appeal. Mildly concerned that a month down the line I'm gonna feel like the game plays too similarly to games I've already played for 20 years.

Way, way, way, way, way too early to have a strong opinion either way though.

Getting kinda worried bout Sf5 which is silly cuz everyone seems to love it so far. Game just has a lot to live up to and if it's boring or not great for spectators then the entire fgc misses a big opportunity for growth.

Seems like tons of people like every fighting game before it gets released and then they stop playing it a month later. I mean it's a mainline Street Fighter so it's less susceptible to that than a lot of games, but still.

Any time known FGC people talk about how good a game is these days I pretty much ignore it.

colinp

Banned
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Fighting Climax is currently on sale on the Japanese PSN store for ¥3999.

If anyone wants help getting a Japanese PSN card at cost shoot me a message. (I'm about to go to sleep though so apologies if it takes me a bit to answer)

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Seems like tons of people like every fighting game before it gets released and then they stop playing it a month later. I mean it's a mainline Street Fighter so it's less susceptible to that than a lot of games, but still.

Any time known FGC people talk about how good a game is these days I pretty much ignore it.

I remember when people convinced me to try SFxT. Worst purchase I made in recent memory.

Tripon

i actually would pick up SFxT for PC if it wasn't $60 for everything (and I'm not sure it includes all the costume DLC).

notworksafe

I had a blast with SFxT when I played it pre-release. I was taking people out left and right with old, OP Poison.

Then Poonkgo showed up and ran a train on everyone :(

Just means they like the idea, not the game.

This is exactly what Alex Valle was talking about. It's time for spectators to start using their brains. They need to start understanding the decision making and the gameplay, rather than just the bells and whistles. That's how SF4 got to where it is, which quarter million viewer streams. LOTS of people play it, so a larger portion of the audience can actually understand what's going on. That is what leads to an invested audience.
Or you can just watch it for the players. I know very little about SF4 and would prefer to know less. Still entertaining to watch the top 8, and the pools when one of the players you are interested shows up. So pretty much just the top 8 and usually not watching pools, just treat it like any disposable media, background noise.

"This is the best fighting game I've ever played" - Mike "GOAT" Ross on SFxT, pre-release

then you can't pay niggas to play it 3 months later

alstein

That comment is what killed any credibility Mike Ross, Gootecks, Max, and those involved with the marketing had with me.

I mean, I'm sure they're good guys behind the screen, but I'll always remember that in their public persona they shill harder than DX when they were going bald.

I'll assume that Leona is for a pachislot until something else is announced, I've been burned enough.

BadWolf

That comment is what killed any credibility Mike Ross, Gootecks, Max, and those involved with the marketing had with me.

I mean, I'm sure they're good guys behind the screen, but I'll always remember that in their public persona they shill harder than DX when they were going bald.

Yeah, this is why I don't really watch their content much.

Dahbomb

Just think of them gaming youtube/twitch personalities who skewer towards fighting games vs general games and you would be fine.

Just expect that whatever game is the newest hotness these guys will be on it like white on rice. Anything that gets the maximum CPM.

And I respect that hustle. I mean hell if I got a paycheck to promote some SFV + got white listed you know I would be all over that.

Nobody was hurt more than Gootecks when it became evident that SFxT was a flop. There are a couple of EA vids from around the time where you can feel the salt seeping through the videos when the topic is raised. He was ready to ride the money train for content creation on that game and it never took off.

Dahbomb talking about moneyhats for promoting games...imagine that...

edit: Gootecks laust...Mike Ross took over his Cross Counter shit and upgraded it to Twitch Turbo money. Gootecks over here making struggle MK tutorial videos on his channel b

Dahbomb

Nobody was hurt more than Gootecks when it became evident that SFxT was a flop. There are a couple of EA vids from around the time where you can feel the salt seeping through the videos when the topic is raised. He was ready to ride the money train for content creation on that game and it never took off.
There was a twitch video somewhere where Gootecks went on a rant over it. Dude looked like he went into some dark places after that (and then came back thankfully).

Let me see if I can find it.

ShinMaruku

isn't that what you niggas wanted
The better question is if Capcom is confident. Also it's way too early to predict anything humans are TERRIBLE at predicting the future.

"This is the best fighting game I've ever played" - Mike "GOAT" Ross on SFxT, pre-release

then you can't pay niggas to play it 3 months later
The problem is at that point all niggas wanted was sf4 and that poisoned the whole community. Then you had the dlc.

I know imagine when the game comes out people are gonna be like, "Ono'dan what have you dooonnneee?! I am sooo weaaaakkk!"

I think they were mostly on point but the FGC was far too monogamery
Still is to my taste but it's diverse enough that the SF4 heads will look like people with Handlebar Mustaches

Also I never trust Marketing. I am not a trusting person by nature.

Speaking of Gootecks and Mike Ross credibility

Did anyone notice in Pro Talk yesterday, Hellpockets was talking about how he wished we had FGC events with like a title card and undercards. He mentioned that Gootecks and Mike had tried doing that with Barfights a few years ago and wondered why it never took off. Mike got kind of quiet, and I doubt he wanted to talk about it since that's when his staged matches with Jago got started.

Just means they like the idea, not the game.

Or you can just watch it for the players. I know very little about SF4 and would prefer to know less. Still entertaining to watch the top 8, and the pools when one of the players you are interested shows up. So pretty much just the top 8 and usually not watching pools, just treat it like any disposable media, background noise.

That's another thing, actually. The players themselves also bring their own storylines to the tourney scene each year.

Rising Thunder looks more combo intensive than I was expecting. I know they've made all of the specials one button but what about the timing for combos? Because that's the other big part of execution when it comes to doing combos.

Top Bottom