• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 27 - Aug 2 | Beta luck next time

OIh boy here it comes....

10706835_312269115625892_1788894402_n.jpg

Can someone explain this fucking picture to me besides the salt?

Dahbomb

Can someone explain this fucking picture to me besides the salt?
It's Kripparrian (based god) pouring salt over Reynad's head (in the background) who is known for getting salty constantly.

Also it's from Hearthstone and that game generates more salt than MVC3 because of RNG non sense.

Dahbomb

It's really Kripparrian's shit eating grin that sells that picture.

Like if you are salty and you see that, you get even MORE salty!

Sheroking

I mean... Kripp might be the SECOND saltiest Hearthstone streamer, so that is a little rich coming from him, but I still love the dude.

It's Kripparrian (based god) pouring salt over Reynad's head (in the background) who is known for getting salty constantly.

Also it's from Hearthstone and that game generates more salt than MVC3 because of RNG non sense.

OOOh okay. Yea I just downloaded Hearthstone last week.

Anne

Post-Evo Blues + getting folks to do stuff in general = @_@

This particular string of events has been really hard on us for lots of reasons orz. I kind of wish I could just go back to when I had no responsibility and nobody knew me.

Ibuki/Cammy

Gief/T. Hawk
Abuse Cammy's roundhouse against Hawk. Make sure any dive kicks are aimed at the feet. Don't go for Drills unless they're ending combos.

Ibuki...learn your antiair normals. Make sure your links are flawless. Go for the vortex at your own risk.

Both characters are going to require patience to fight, so keep your cool unless you wanna go for a ride.

Shouta

This particular string of events has been really hard on us for lots of reasons orz. I kind of wish I could just go back to when I had no responsibility and nobody knew me.

It's why I like the shadows, lol

Not like anyone would listen to me anyway.

Since it seems a decent amount of people are sort of discussing the effect of cooldowns in a fighting games thanks to rising thunder, I think people can take a look at how a game DFO works with it and how people play around it.

When facing another player, you always want to keep tabs on what they did. If you have a general idea of what they have done, you have an idea of what they can't do in the following moments. This is really important for "cube skills" which think of them as stronger moves but they usually have a longer cooldown (not only that they but they have a starting cooldown so you can't use it in the start of the match) and take more resources to use (though it's not too much of a problem unless it's a real turtle like match or you are going through the whole other team). It's really important, especially against someone like a zoner or the enemies defensive skills. I used to play nen a lot in pvp, and it's like a lot of defensive zoning and to control area, you had stuff like nenguard (a bubble which protects you inside it) and dopplegangers (nen's blow up if you touch them), but if you don't space them out, there are gaps in between rotating between them so people have a opportunity to rushdown in between them. And if a character has strong cube skills, means that longer the match goes on, a character's relative power may be stronger, so it might give the opponent an incentive to gain an advantage before it reaches that point (sort of how if someone has an anti-fireball ultra in sf4, once they reach that point, the matchup goes differently if you have to be much more careful with your fireballs).

One of the most important cooldowns to keep track for any opponent, since a lot of characters are pretty unique in doing their own thing, is the quick rebound, which is universal for all characters. It's like your quick rise and delay wakeup all in one move. When you hit the ground, you can enter a crouch state with i frames, depending on how long you hold the button. But there are many things that you have to take in account with this skill such as the 20 second cooldown. Imagine having a cooldown on your getups in Tekken, you can be susceptible to a lot of otg and free damage if you wasted it on a bad opportunity. So you have to be smart on when you want to use it. Not only that, but when you naturally get up, you have some i frames to take some steps, but if you use qr, you lose those i frames, so if they read the quick rise, you may get hit getting up quick. If you hold quick rebound for it's full duration, you leave it's state in super armor for a moment, so you can take some hits until it wears off. But if a person reads the delayed quick rebound, super armor is throwable, so if they do something like a meaty throw (a class like grappler is good at this, since they have lots of throws and basic ones like suplex have really fast startup and cooldown) or a skill that breaks super armor like neck snap (a skill all fighters can get which gives them a back turn on the opponent), you super armor wakeup may get you combo'd if they read your timing.

Many classes also have unique defensive options like phase shift for fmages or stuff like revenger or the clone teleport rogues have that can get them out of a combo, but again it has a cooldown on it, so when you get that initial combo, many people try to do things like bait the move out of them so they can punish them, instead of fully committing, which may get you fully punished or at least have much better positioning if they timed it during one of your moves with a longer recovery.

Not the first time I posted something about the game, but I think that the game does a lot of neat things in making a competitive brawler (though it's only really china and korea, global servers don't even have ranked match yet). I think Rising Thunder is interesting since the cooldowns are very similar in concept and much simpler. Many new players have said that they get wrecked in DFO pvp, even though it uses a mix of hotkeys and motion commands so execution isn't crazy hard (though drop combos do have since there are a lot of positional hits and juggles and things to take in account, in general damage and combos are easy to improvise), because there are a lot of moves per class and a lot of unique class specific things you may need to know to fight against one effectively. Having 3 normals and 3 specials in Rising Thunder makes it much more easier to understand what your opponent can do.

Village

thats a bad
Abuse Cammy's roundhouse against Hawk. Make sure any dive kicks are aimed at the feet. Don't go for Drills unless they're ending combos.

Ibuki...learn your antiair normals. Make sure your links are flawless. Go for the vortex at your own risk.

Both characters are going to require patience to fight, so keep your cool unless you wanna go for a ride.

This covers it.

I recently picked up sagat and bison again and was like " oh... these grapples, they are literally nothing "

petghost

Banned
Getting kinda worried bout Sf5 which is silly cuz everyone seems to love it so far. Game just has a lot to live up to and if it's boring or not great for spectators then the entire fgc misses a big opportunity for growth.

joe2187

Banned

I always try to jump away instead of doing anti-airs, which doesnt work of course. It's a bad habit I gotta get out of. Seemed to work alot better now that I'm atcually using em.

Im still working on my links.

Getting kinda worried bout Sf5 which is silly cuz everyone seems to love it so far. Game just has a lot to live up to and if it's boring or not great for spectators then the entire fgc misses a big opportunity for growth.
Have you played it? It isn't boring.

SFIV was boring, and it did great. SFV will do spectacular.

Staying in the shadows has its perks.

The main reason I don't is that I believe that not many people are willing to do what needs to be done (for the FGC). I consider this a form of activism, trying to raise awareness and such.

I feel it's a duty and responsibility, but of course not everyone will feel that strongly... After all, it's vidya gaems.

Yeah, I said this in the ,last thread. It could be the best game ever. It doesn't matter. These days, a fighting game lives based on "hype".

petghost

Banned
Have you played it? It isn't boring.

SFIV was boring, and it did great. SFV will do spectacular.

Yeah I hope so. It will def be less interesting for lab monsters tho as the combo system is really straightforward and the oki game is less prevalent so less crazy setups. Also (hopefully) less wacky option select shenanigans.

It is boring. It's the most dry Street Fighter since SF2.

Onemic

You don't find st hype? That shit is often exciting imo. Alpha series never did much for me but they look nice.

I do, but I feel that the hype moments are less than SF4, simply because SF4 has so many dumb mechanics that lead into blowups.

That being said I'd rather watch a totally random game of SF2 than SF4

NEO0MJ

Since it seems a decent amount of people are sort of discussing the effect of cooldowns in a fighting games thanks to rising thunder, I think people can take a look at how a game DFO works with it and how people play around it.

I wonder if it inspired them. How long are the cooldowns in Rising Thunder anyway?

Staying in the shadows has its perks.

The main reason I don't is that I believe that not many people are willing to do what needs to be done (for the FGC). I consider this a form of activism, trying to raise awareness and such.

I feel it's a duty and responsibility, but of course not everyone will feel that strongly... After all, it's vidya gaems.

yxDE53U.gif

petghost

Banned
I do, but I feel that the hype moments are less than SF4, simply because SF4 has so many dumb mechanics that lead into blowups.

That being said I'd rather watch a totally random game of SF2 than SF4
Sf4 may have had some stupid shit but imo the life of the game contained a lot of great competitive moments. Great sets and whatnot.

Top Bottom