• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They like the surprise of finding out that a character made it in, when they didn't know they would.

They lose that surprise when a thread title says "Greninja announced for Smash 4" instead of "New Smash 4 Characters announced (Spoilers)" to make media blackouts easier.
Except this is a forum for posting news and discussion, hence the "new threads for new news" rule.

Most of the frustration about MvC3's roster was based on the idea that the game's release was supposed to be this big event - 10 More Years, and all that - and yet Capcom and Marvel alike were "wasting slots" on irrelevant characters.

And yes, there was a little backlash against the competitive MvC2 players - characters like Tron (heh), Storm or Akuma caught some flack because some fans were convinced they were picked over possible new characters due to how heavily they were used in tournaments. Of course, some people were also upset that characters like Psylocke, Spiral and Captain Commando weren't making a comeback despite the fact they were tourney staples. And both of those reactions are only a small part of the overall dissatisfaction fans had towards the roster before the game was released.

At least, until Sentinel was announced. 10 More Years went from a battle cry to a death knell overnight. And he was one of the last few characters Capcom teased, too, so that pissed all over the event hype that people were enjoying.

GooeyHeat

It was the same. The reveal trailer had MSS at the beginning and every casual poster there said that capcom shouldn't cater to competitive players who only make up 1% of the buying base.
The funny part is that catering to competitive players is exactly what (U)MvC3 did, and probably what makes it so hard to grow the competitive scene.
Like you have a game where Phoenix Wright can team up with or face off against She-Hulk, among other ridiculous matchups, and all we get are some one-liners and a few lines and pictures in the endings?
I used to not think story modes, single-player content, or other things like that were that important in fighters, but now I realize that making a bare-bones game with just arcade/versus/training/online, especially one full of well-known characters, effectively cuts out everybody except for those who spend a lot of time on fighters anyway.

Now that I think about it, didn't they say a while back that the next MK game would feature an original character from the upcoming theatrical movie reboot by the web series guy? The one whose plot details included an everyman who worked at a store of some kind who gets wrapped up in the MK series events?

Of course, it's been quiet on the info front on the movie for a while now too.

Ed Boon was on Day 3 of the Giant Bomb's E3 podcast. He mentioned being surprised that no one asked him about that specifically during the whole conference, and that the answer was "No".

That's really weird.

“I did Mortal Kombat, and that's such a huge game, but it’s so not like [MGS5]."

IGN claims that is a direct quote. He wasn't in any previous ones(?)

That's really weird.

“I did Mortal Kombat, and that's such a huge game, but it’s so not like [MGS5]."

No, he definitely wasn't. That is weird. And he name dropped MK well before MKX was announced, but not too far back as to be vague. Maybe he's referring to another game altogether?

The funny part is that catering to competitive players is exactly what (U)MvC3 did, and probably what makes it so hard to grow the competitive scene.
Like you have a game where Phoenix Wright can team up with or face off against She-Hulk, among other ridiculous matchups, and all we get are some one-liners and a few lines and pictures in the endings?
I used to not think story modes, single-player content, or other things like that were that important in fighters, but now I realize that making a bare-bones game with just arcade/versus/training/online, especially one full of well-known characters, effectively cuts out everybody except for those who spend a lot of time on fighters anyway.

Supposedly they tried to add all that stuff. At least, that's what they told the handful of Marvel staff that spoke to the press about the game. It seems like they just failed to do so. Twice in a row. Or maybe they just lied? I supposed the Shadow Battles and Heroes and Heralds stuff was supposed to make up for it, but both of those modes were poorly executed as well.

Personally I love the more characters they show. As someone who loves reading comics (Marvel especially) and is a big fan of Capcom games, the game was always going to be appealing to me (with the exception of Hawkeye). But competitively I don't play it due to the stupidity of X-factor. I played through single player as one of those people in supposed minority who does enjoy single player in fighting games. Arcade mode featuring Marvel and Capcom characters is a awesome. I also enjoy doing all the missions in fighting games.

That's really weird.

No, he definitely wasn't. That is weird. And he name dropped MK well before MKX was announced, but not too far back as to be vague. Maybe he's referring to another game altogether?

I dunno. Look at it yourselves. Maybe he's not being entirely serious?

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-live-e3-2014-day-3/2300-9133/

Skip to 9:10

Gootecks also comes up as a theory as to why Dee Jay is so bad in the game.

Mike Ross: "Everybody says Dee Jay's dead. They said Capcom killed Dee Jay."

Gootecks: "I don't know if I would say Capcom killed Dee Jay. It was more like, Dee Jay was never alive to begin with."

:cryfam:

CPS2

curious why you feel SCV was a failure and a reboot. do you mean commercial failure?
I think it should've built on 4's roster and had a decent single player mode, instead of removing characters and bringing in new ones. Not sure what the consensus is with SCV but I think it should've done what TTT2 did and just throw everything in. Basically I guess if you go for a reboot it still has to feel like value. It did release at a time where there were many other options and I ended up playing it for like a week, while I stuck with 4 for a year or so.

Village

Marvel selection too.

Why aren't there any spider-man villains?

Where's gambit?

The hate for Sentinel's reveal led to pretty much the same anticompetitive sentiment Riposte is talking about.

Are those legit questions or examples.

because I can give you an answer if you want.

El Sloth

Banned
Nope still doesn't make sense really because movie rights does not equal game rights.
Kirblar is saying that Marvel doesn't want to promote those characters more than necessary. They're kind of fucked with Spiderman though, since he's still like their most popular comic.

Look up who owns the film rights. Then you might notice a pattern.

wolverine, x-23, magneto, storm, sentinel, phoenix, skrull, doom and spiderman all say hi.

Film rights had nothing to do with Marvel 3 character roster. Upcoming film marketing on the otherhand? Probably had an influence in the case of avengers + strange

FSLink

Banned
Nope still doesn't make sense really because movie rights does not equal game rights.

It does make sense, outside of Spiderman merchandise (since it's their biggest property), even in toys/TV and stuff you see a lack of X-Men promotion hence the game not being as X-Men heavy.

They did want a Spiderman villain (Doc Octopus) at one point. But apparently it wasn't feasible from a technical standpoint: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35412

It does make sense, outside of Spiderman merchandise (since it's their biggest property), even in toys/TV and stuff you see a lack of X-Men promotion hence the game not being as X-Men heavy.

thats different. We're talking about character inclusion.

Gambit did not get excluded because fox owns the film rights because what happened in regards to magneto, storm, sentinel, x-23, wolverine, doom, skrull and etc.

Dahbomb

But the game rights also belongs to different companies. Activiation holds, held the x-men rights for awhile now.
Let's be real here...

No game company at the time of MVC3's inception was holding characters like Gambit or Venom for hostage.

The main explanation for characters like Gambit/Venom not making in MVC3 was because those characters were not the main focus of Marvel at that time in terms of promotion. A character like X23 made it in because she had a new comic series coming out at the time and it worked like cross promotion. Hell almost the entirety of the characters in UMVC3 on the Marvel side were a result of cross promotion for future products:

Dr Strange - New movie coming out
Iron Fist - New TV series or movie in the work
Ghost Rider - Ghost Rider 2 cross promotion
Hawkeye - Avengers cross promotion
Rocket Raccoon - GotG cross promotion
Nova - GotG/Marvel cinematic universe cross promotion

Bottom line is that characters like Gambit/Venom didn't make it in NOT because of they couldn't be in because of movie/game rights but because Marvel had other characters they wanted to promote for some reasons. That said you can't expect random Joe Schmoe who played MVC1/MVC2 to understand this so they are right to complain about it if they want.

when you guys are in a room and not playing are you taking notes or are you dicking around? I just go on gaf

Like at a tournament? I'll watch matches and be on my phone on Twitter and GAF a bunch, which I do a lot since I never tend to play casuals at tournaments (which I should probably fix)

FSLink

Banned
thats different. We're talking about character inclusion.

Gambit did not get excluded because fox owns the film rights because what happened in regards to magneto, storm, sentinel, x-23, wolverine, doom, skrull and etc.

No, but the game isn't as X-Men heavy as previous VS titles. It's a bit of both. X-Men is still going to have a bigger presence than their other franchises because it's one of their biggest properties despite not owning the film rights.

Bottom line is that characters like Gambit/Venom didn't make it in NOT because of they couldn't be in because of movie/game rights but because Marvel had other characters they wanted to promote for some reasons.

Exactly, though I do think lacking the rights does affect which properties they'd rather push to some extent.

Kirblar is saying that Marvel doesn't want to promote those characters more than necessary. They're kind of fucked with Spiderman though, since he's still like their most popular comic.

Missed this since apparently 4 of us posted at exactly the same time. This is pretty much what I'm saying too.

No, but the game isn't as X-Men heavy as previous VS titles. It's a bit of both. X-Men is still going to have a bigger presence than their other franchises because it's one of their biggest properties despite not owning the film rights.

Exactly, though I do think lacking the rights does affect which properties they'd rather push to some extent.

Captain America
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Dormammu
Hulk
Iron Man
Magneto
M.O.D.O.K.
Phoenix
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Shuma-Goratha
Spider-Man
Storm
Super-Skrull
Taskmaster
Thor
Wolverine
X-23

yeah not nearly as x-men heavy. Just 31% of the marvel cast.

Captain America
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Dormammu
Hulk
Iron Man
Magneto
M.O.D.O.K.
Phoenix
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Shuma-Goratha
Spider-Man
Storm
Super-Skrull
Taskmaster
Thor
Wolverine
X-23

yeah not nearly as x-men heavy. Just 31% of the marvel cast.
X-23 and Deadpool are in different categories. X-23 is in her own generation of mutants, and Deadpool is Deadpool.

OceanBlue

Like at a tournament? I'll watch matches and be on my phone on Twitter and GAF a bunch, which I do a lot since I never tend to play casuals at tournaments (which I should probably fix)

Sometimes tournaments (at least, the few I've been to) don't have casual stations since they're all taken for tournament matches, which is a shame. I understand the need though. If you play more niche games, they generally have setups going throughout a tournament though which is nice.

In a lobby, I try to think about why I lost, but honestly I more often just browse GAF. :V

FSLink

Banned
I didn't say it wasn't X-Men heavy, I said it wasn't as heavy as previous VS titles. I'm not going to argue and compare character lists, my point is that Marvel has properties they'd rather push. I do feel film rights and other properties dictate which properties they'd rather push in the future to some extent. It's not as heavily pronounced in Marvel 3, but it does apply to some of their other properties like a lack of an X-Men tv show and merchandise.

Spiderman they apparently did want to keep pushing, but Doctor Octopus had technical difficulties.

X-23 and Deadpool are in different categories. X-23 is in her own generation of mutants, and Deadpool is Deadpool.

still under FOX in terms of movie rights.

edit
Movie rights had little to no say when it comes to mvc3 character roster. Movie promotion on the otherhand did.

Dahbomb

He's right though... it's not as X Men heavy as the previous VS games with the only exception being Marvel Super Heroes.

MVC2: 18 out of 28 characters were X Men which makes it a 64% cast of Marvel made up of X Men characters.

MVC1: 3 out of 8 characters were X Men (still more ratio than MVC3 at 37%) but the more important fact is that ALL BUT ONE of the assist characters were X men characters. The boss was an X men character as well.

Marvel Super Heroes: 4 out of 12 were X Men characters (so about the same ratio as MVC3).

X Men COTA and X Men vs SF had an entire X Men roster essentially.

Edit: Pretty sure Deadpool is under FOX rights as they are planning a Deadpool movie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
still under FOX in terms of movie rights.

edit
Movie rights had little to no say when it comes to mvc3 character roster. Movie promotion on the otherhand did.
Movie promotion is only a thing now, not when MvC3 or UMvC3 came out. See: pushing Iron Fist.

Not only that, but the promotion stuff is very flimsy considering Spider-Man cartoon characters are being pushed in merchandising. Pretty fair to say that rumour was some bullshit.

Village

To those interested.

No one really gives half a crap about gambit anymore, thats it really. Marvel keeps trying though.

And as for spider man villians, if your name isn't Venom and possibly a goblin or a nerdy cotipus no one really cares about you either. But really if your name isn't venom eh. Combine that with the rise of their other super hero's like the avengers, yeah spidey's rouge galler isn't looking so hot.

Although Venom isn't even a villian anymore so if Marvel 4 did happen and he got in, it would be the one with guns.

But you all aren't asking the important questions
Why isn't galactus's canon , super moe animu daughter in mahvel 3
1146542-galacta_1.jpg
1836614-galacta_daughter_of_galactus_3_fantastic_feast.jpg
1836615-galacta_daughter_of_galactus_3_temptations.jpg
galactapg32.jpg
galactapg30.jpg

Dahbomb

If no one gives a crap about Venom/Gambit then why did they put Venom/Gambit in Marvel Super Heroes as playable characters?

Top Bottom