• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 18-24 | FGC Kickstart 101: Cut a deal with the bronies

Dahbomb

All VS games are broken though. MVC2 was the ultimate VS game and featured a huge cast plus 3 on 3 assist based combat. It was a one of a kind type game at the time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All VS games are broken though. MVC2 was the ultimate VS game and featured a huge cast plus 3 on 3 assist based combat. It was a one of a kind type game at the time.

It was unique yeah and fun to goof around with. But honestly no point in even touching it now. :p Well unless you want to goof around with the off characters.

But why the fuck would you want to play serious matches in MvC2 these days? MvC3 is pretty derpy but it's way better designed still.

It was unique yeah and fun to goof around with. But honestly no point in even touching it now. :p Well unless you want to goof around with the off characters.

But why the fuck would you want to play serious matches in MvC2 these days? MvC3 is pretty derpy but it's way better designed still.
Yeah, the people who prefer MvC2 over MvC3 really blow my mind. I can only think of one thing MvC2 has over MvC3, and that's lower damage.

Dahbomb

Yea there isn't much point in touching it now aside from the lulz. The time of MVC2 is past us now.... as is the time of Vanilla Marvel.

♫the promo code is AGEFANATIQ♫

1faIBYH.jpg

Dahbomb

Yeah, the people who prefer MvC2 over MvC3 really blow my mind. I can only think of one thing MvC2 has over MvC3, and that's lower damage.
No TAC either and MVC2 Sentinel is one of the best FG characters ever made in terms of control. He was broke as fuck but man controlling that made you feel like a true Gundam pilot.

I don't have to worry about super happy red death mode turning the match into DBZ at the mashing of four buttons. When you play other fighting games more you kinda appreciate that, I think. I'm sure someone would cite VSav's Dark force, but that feels miniscule in the face of X-factor shenanigans and most DFs are way shorter than XF3 time limits.

Also, I enjoy the lack of camera panning in supers and 5-10 second cut-scenes. Iain'tgottimeforthat.gif

I don't have to worry about super happy red death mode turning the match into DBZ at the mashing of four buttons. When you play other fighting games more you kinda appreciate that, I think.

I'm sure someone would cite VSav's Dark force, but that feels miniscule in the face of X-factor shenanigans and most DFs are way shorter than XF3 time limits.
I've played enough fighting games to know that I'm fine with X-Factor, and even appreciate it. Every game needs mechanics appropriate to its type. I thought you meant the general pace of the game, not just X-Factor.

Put me in the "I prefer MvC2 over UMvC3" crowd, but that's mainly because I like messing around with random stuff in 2 while 3 is starting to get boring for me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do we know who is doing the MK streams/other streams outside of Sp00ky, FunkyP and Sixfortyfive at Final Round yet?

The character roster.

vocab

I hate all marvels, but i guess i like three the most because theres more playable characters that can actually fight back. I hate the mugen aspect of mvc2. They just didnt give a fuck when they made that game. Oh and the input system in mvc2 is fucking retarded.

The character roster.
Vastly superior in MvC3 despite not having a few of the fan favorites. DMC characters, Wesker, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, and Skrull totally make up for missing...what, Venom? That freak Gambit? Even if I really miss Blackheart, I'd be a fool to think MvC3's roster is not an improvement since it didn't waste spots on crap like Roll, Bone Claw Wolverine, SonSon, Amingo, and Zangief. I miss Captain Commando's assist and playstyle more than the character.

sent,cyclops,tron,strider,doom,storm,captian comando, cable, psylocke and magneto!

More characters than skull girls at least!
Sick burn.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, does anyone have a link to info on Curleh Mustache Battle Royal? All I can find is the original transcription of the Sp00ky stream where they detailed it, which doesn't have much.

sent,cyclops,tron,strider,doom,storm,captian comando, cable, psylocke and magneto!

but Mike Z told me Skullgirls was a fixed MvC2

Vastly superior in MvC3 despite not having a few of the fan favorites. DMC characters, Wesker, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, and Skrull totally make up for missing...what, Venom? That freak Gambit? Even if I really miss Blackheart, I'd be a fool to think MvC3's roster is not an improvement since it didn't waste spots on crap like Roll, Bone Claw Wolverine, SonSon, Amingo, and Zangief. I miss Captain Commando's assist and playstyle more than the character.
What? Of course the variety in playstyles (and most of the rest of the game) is better in MvC3, but fan favourites is exactly why the roster is better. MvC2 came at a time when it capitalized on those characters' popularity for that generation of gamers, and made new favourites on top of that. For MvC3, it's pretty much just making new favourites.

Gambit's card throwing hyper is worth it goddamnit, even if he played like ass.

Dahbomb

Pacing of Marvel 3 is normally fine, it's when 2 characters activate LVL3 XF plus some utility hyper (like 2 DPs, 2 Dark Vergils, 2 Ouroborus, 2 AVs or heaven forbid 2 Wolverines in XF3 + BC). That is TRUE nuttiness, the one thing I always had a problem with in terms of XF were the speed bonuses which throws out all your months of tried and tested frame data out the window.

But XF is a necessary evil in this type of game. If it weren't for the 3 top anchors, XF3 anchor meta game wouldn't even exist as most anchors can easily be shutdown by a full team.

I've played enough fighting games to know that I'm fine with X-Factor, and even appreciate it. Every game needs mechanics appropriate to its type. I thought you meant the general pace of the game, not just X-Factor.
I like it sometimes too, but I feel MvC2 is snappier and way more consistent in it's pace without X-factor. Those two things put it over the edge for me.

That won't be true in a year or so!

tumblr_lpbjs2Nx7F1qg39ewo1_500_zps8e77c924.gif

What? Of course the variety in playstyles (and most of the rest of the game) is better in MvC3, but fan favourites is exactly why the roster is better. MvC2 came at a time when it capitalized on those characters' popularity for that generation of gamers, and made new favourites on top of that. For MvC3, it's pretty much just making new favourites.

Indeed

They gave us what we wanted and that is what makes it the best. I don't buy a game so they can tell me what I want dammit.

I'm saying I like MvC3's character roster better, not just the playstyles.

Pacing of Marvel 3 is normally fine, it's when 2 characters activate LVL3 XF plus some utility hyper (like 2 DPs, 2 Dark Vergils, 2 Ouroborus, 2 AVs or heaven forbid 2 Wolverines in XF3 + BC). That is TRUE nuttiness, the one thing I always had a problem with in terms of XF were the speed bonuses which throws out all your months of tried and tested frame data out the window.

But XF is a necessary evil in this type of game. If it weren't for the 3 top anchors, XF3 anchor meta game wouldn't even exist as most anchors can easily be shutdown by a full team.
Agreed entirely.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx303/SteelAmazin/tumblr_lpbjs2Nx7F1qg39ewo1_500_zps8e77c924.gif
Hahaha.

Edit: Come on, though. Aside from CapCom, those are shitty character. A Roomba and a Chimp?

Dahbomb

Half the characters in MVC2 aren't "fan favorites". Who the hell asked for Hayato, SonSon, Amingo, a second Wolverine and about a dozen SF characters? The Marvel side of MVC2 is generally pretty good (well if you are a fan of X Men) but the Capcom side is awful. In UMVC3 both sides are equally good, both in terms of diversity of playstyles and where they come from.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm just glad mega man isn't in Marvel anymore. What a shitty character.

Veiwtiful Joe and Arthur are much better choices!

lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Half the characters in MVC2 aren't "fan favorites". Who the hell asked for Hayato, SonSon, Amingo, a second Wolverine and about a dozen SF characters? The Marvel side of MVC2 is generally pretty good (well if you are a fan of X Men) but the Capcom side is awful. In UMVC3 both sides are equally good, both in terms of diversity of playstyles and where they come from.
Pretty much all the Capcom characters except the ones you mentioned + Jin - Roll were "asked for". Probably because they were just thrown in from other Capcom games, but still.

I'm just glad mega man isn't in Marvel anymore. What a shitty character.

Veiwtiful Joe and Arthur are much better choices!

lol
Megaman could be cool if he played nothing like Megaman has in the past. Otherwise, yeah those are better choices.

FSLink

Banned
I really like the character choices in Ultimate. A good mix of fan favorites (for Capcom, Marvel comic fans, AND Marvel 2 fans) and playstyles. I wouldn't have known I'd want MODOK and She Hulk in the game but their varied playstyles make them much more worthy additions than Venom or Gambit imo. :p

Shame about the DLC characters though. I don't think anybody really wanted RE5 Jill and Shuma Gorath and their playstyles aren't even that much fun to most people. We should have gotten fan favorites for DLC like Captain Commando and Megaman X. :/

EDIT: Also I'm probably one of the few people here who would like Roll in Marvel 3. TvC version obviously.

Dahbomb

Venom, Gambit, Megaman, Jin, CapCom are awesome. It's a shame that MVC3 couldn't at least complete the roster of MVC1 (replacing Zangief with Haggar is fine).

MVC1 had a great roster for the small number they had for it. The only real oddity was War Machine instead of Iron Man.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mega Man is awesome, but actually making a non-X version play well would be very difficult.

Arthur is easy to make play well, but capcom is stupid as fuck and put limters there to make him worst than he should be.

Mega Man would basically be like arthur in terms of a huge move set. His ground dash would be his slide animation

kirblar

Arthur is easy to make play well, but capcom is stupid as fuck and put limters there to make him worst than he should be.

Mega Man would basically be like arthur in terms of a huge move set. His ground dash would be his slide animation
Arthur's well-designed. Mega Man's problem is that his weapon change gimmick doesn't translate all that well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Arthur's well-designed. Mega Man's problem is that his weapon change gimmick doesn't translate all that well.

Seeing how the later games had his weapon change mapped to shoulder buttons for quick changing, anyone that would have an issue with him just doing a command and having a move come out is stupid.

And no arthur is not really Well-Designed. He has some major design flaws. He has the right move set, but it's not implemented correctly.

kirblar

Seeing how the later games had his weapon change mapped to shoulder buttons for quick changing, anyone that would have an issue with him just doing a command and having a move come out is stupid.

And no arthur is not really Well-Designed. He has some major design flaws. He has the right move set, but it's not implemented correctly.
Is it a dev (balance) issue though? Because you can have badly designed characters that are well-put-together, and vice versa.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is it a dev (balance) issue though? Because you can have badly designed characters that are well-put-together, and vice versa.

Yeah it's a dev issue.

Gold armor shouldn't cause hard knockdown, and honestly he should of had charge attacks that turn into his magic spells as well. His range game isn't good enough either for how shitty his normals are.

When you make a zoner character THAT CAN ONLY ZONE, you typically are suposed to give them a dominating zoning game that beats every other zoner and is almost impossible to get in on but has shitty reversal options. Arthur loses to other zoners as well and has no real up close options.

Shit design.

Compare him to Morrigan or Dormamu for instance.

And this is why I give massive praise to arcsys as they tend to be able to do character arch types better than any other company

vocab

Why play arthur when you can play dorm. Who has fucking flight, and covers more vertical and horizontal space than a "pure zoner". I guess every game needs their fair share of joke characters.

Venom, Gambit, Megaman, Jin, CapCom are awesome. It's a shame that MVC3 couldn't at least complete the roster of MVC1 (replacing Zangief with Haggar is fine).

MVC1 had a great roster for the small number they had for it. The only real oddity was War Machine instead of Iron Man.

totally agree. even though gold war machine was cheap as hell, i still would have preferred iron man!

Dahbomb

Hawkeye is basically what Arthur was supposed to be. The good zoning characters in the game also have some good normals like him, Chris, Taskmaster, Dorm, Deadpool, MODOK, Iron Man and Morrigan plus actually have some sort of movement. They sort of messed up on Strange too, they over compensated for his strengths. Still not as bad as Arthur, Ghost Rider and Phoenix Wright.

Pretty much all the Capcom characters except the ones you mentioned + Jin - Roll were "asked for". Probably because they were just thrown in from other Capcom games, but still.

Amingo
Anakaris
Charlie
Dan
Dhalsim (borderline)
Guile
Hayato
Roll
Ruby Heart
Sakura
Servbot
Sonson

You can be sure that nobody asked for these characters. And it's debatable if anyone asked for the likes of M Bison and Zangief, or heck even Ken and Akuma when there's Ryu. Now let's look at the MvC3 Capcom characters that nobody asked for:

Viper
Firebrand
Hsien-Ko (debatable)
RE5 Jill
Nemesis
Spencer

That's about it. And Viper, Firebrand and Spencer went on to become fan favorites.

Top Bottom