• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 18-24 | FGC Kickstart 101: Cut a deal with the bronies

K.Sabot

SFxT was 2v2 at EVO

I'm sure we'll let the stages play out. It's not like they're obstructing (gems) or random(items in smash).

El Sloth

Banned
Stage gimmicks look fun. They don't seem like they add any sort of unfairness. And they don't seem to be random from what I can see. Just another thing to keep in mind while playing.

Stage gimmicks look fun. They don't seem like they add any sort of unfairness. And they don't seem to be random from what I can see. Just another thing to keep in mind while playing.

Just like ring outs and walls for wall combos in games like SC and Tekken. People should let it rock because the game was created with them in mind.

And the dbz QTEs?

I could be wrong, but from everything I've read that is just part of the STAR labs minigame section. The actual regular versus fights don't have that mechanic.

I don't get the apprehension towards stage gimmicks. I feel like they could potentially add a fresh new angle to the spacing game.

Because they're different.

As long as they aren't random, and even if they were, honestly, it wouldn't matter.

We do 2/3 and 3/5 sets to filter out randomness, so there's really no reason to not allow them.

Azure J

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that ViewtifulJC. Also, from the San Diego chat:

Emp_juri_feet: GENESIS DROPPED IT FASTER THEN BIFUTEKI'S STREAM

I could be wrong, but from everything I've read that is just part of the STAR labs minigame section. The actual regular versus fights don't have that mechanic.

I don't remember how those look and I didn't see any today, so I won't comment on those.

What are they about?

The wager thing? I don't think those are like those dbz button match things.

I think he means this at 17:20. I'm pretty sure this is just a STAR labs minigame segment and not a part of the regular gameplay.

Not that link. It was in a match and it did flash up with "wager" followed by what looked like two dials. One character "won it" a short cinematic played and the match continued. I'll see if I can find it to check what it was but reading now it seems to be based on health?

Not that link. It was in a match and it did flash up with "wager" followed by what looked like two dials. One character "won it" a short cinematic played and the match continued. I'll see if I can find it to check what it was but reading now it seems to be based on health?

There are moments when the two characters clash, and both players have a brief moment to choose how much meter to spend based on what button they press. Whoever spends more meter wins the clash.

Yes, it's the Clash system. You can only enter Clash once per match and only during the second round (so once one player's first health bar depletes, as just like Darkstalkers, Injustice doesn't reset position and health in-between rounds). Think of it like a fleshed out Breaker from MK. Both players bet a secret (hidden from the other player) amount of their meter. If the defending player wins the bet, they negate the combo damage (Edit: and regain life, like Slamtastic said below). If the attacking player wins, their combo damage gets through plus it does a little extra damage.

There are moments when the two characters clash, and both players have a brief moment to choose how much meter to spend based on what button they press. Whoever spends more meter wins the clash.

And if the player who was being hit wins, they regain life, if the attacker wins, they do additional damage.

And the amounts are based on how much meter you/your opponent wager.

Yes, it's the Clash system. You can only enter Clash once per match and only during the second round (so once one player's first health bar depletes, as just like Darkstalkers, Injustice doesn't reset position and health in-between rounds). Think of it like a fleshed out Breaker from MK. Both players bet a secret (hidden from the other player) amount of their meter. If the defending player wins the bet, they negate the combo damage (Edit: and regain life, like Slamtastic said below). If the attacking player wins, their combo damage gets through plus it does a little extra damage.

And if the player who was being hit wins, they regain life, if the attacker wins, they do additional damage.

And the amounts are based on how much meter you/your opponent wager.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

So yeah, disabling gimmicks would be really good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the point of the wager when everyone is going to bet all the meter they have.
Yup.

It pretty much comes down to who has more meter stocked at that point, which encourages hoarding meter, which is bad.

We'll see how it all plays out, but the game's mechanics do nothing for me even if the drive button or w/e is cool.

EDIT: FUCK YOUR CHAOS DIMENSION, CENTURION JAB

Because they're different.

As long as they aren't random, and even if they were, honestly, it wouldn't matter.

We do 2/3 and 3/5 sets to filter out randomness, so there's really no reason to not allow them.
Extending sets does take away time that could have been spent on another game.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
What's the point of the wager when everyone is going to bet all the meter they have.

i think thats a bit short sited

meter will be very important for alot of stuff in this game, to blow all of it out just for a bit of extra damage in a far away knock down might not be worthed in some situations.

Dahbomb

The Clash happens in the 2nd round and at that point you want all the momentum that you can get even at the cost of meter to win the match.

There are a couple ways it could play out and you could argue if encouraging meter "hoarding" is bad but some reasons I've read from people who like it are:

If you've got the advantage in the match and you lose the wager/don't bet that much meter, then sure the defender breaks out of the combo but they just lost a good amount of meter to do it. If you've got advantage and you win the wager, then great you keep the advantage (with a little extra damage done to the losing opponent as a bonus).

If you're defending and you lose the wager, then you've poorly managed your meter blowing it on EX moves or supers that didn't get you advantage and didn't even have enough to win the clash so you probably deserve to lose the round. If you're defending and you win the wager, you've now got another shot at winning the round, but you won't have a lot of meter to help you do it.

It mostly gives advantage to the better player who manages their meter properly, which is the only agreed upon great aspect of MK9. Again, it could be a disaster that breaks the game but it shouldn't be written off just because it's another different mechanic.

It mostly gives advantage to the better player who manages their meter properly, which is the only agreed upon great aspect of MK9. Again, it could be a disaster that breaks the game but it shouldn't be written off just because it's another different mechanic.

tumblr_m1pf9k3CAT1rsul2fo1_400.gif

Dahbomb

And then they won't be able to EX, super, or Pushblock. I hope they think winning the clash was worth it.
Neither would the other player though in most situations.

IMO saving up meter for the clash is not a great idea, you are better off using it to gain match advantage early on. If the clash happens the losing player has to give up at least as much meter as the winning player to get back in the game.

I mean I am just looking at it from other game perspective. Would I give up 4 bars in SF4 to get out of a combo that might seal a round? Would I give up 5 meters in Marvel to survive a combo? Hell yes I would, I would give up all the meter to ensure momentum/last chance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That was the sloppiest shit ever but somehow still Infrit got bodied hard. Though I'm not sure if RGX2 is responsible or Infrit is.

Neither would the other player though in most situations.

IMO saving up meter for the clash is not a great idea, you are better off using it to gain match advantage early on. If the clash happens the losing player has to give up at least as much meter as the winning player to get back in the game.

I mean I am just looking at it from other game perspective. Would I give up 4 bars in SF4 to get out of a combo that might seal a round? Would I give up 5 meters in Marvel to survive a combo? Hell yes I would, I would give up all the meter to ensure momentum/last chance.

I'm a bit confused as it seems you've contradicted yourself. Look at it this way: In Marvel you use meter regularly for stuff like DHC to safety or more importantly securing a kill. However, Phoenix players can choose to bet it all on a Dark Phoenix strat but risk that strat falling apart throughout the match.

In Injustice you use meter regularly for EXs, supers, and pushblock. However, you can choose to stockpile your meter to win the Clash thereby either giving you a second chance at life (at the cost of that meter however) OR ensuring that you keep advantage.

Again, I mostly see it as a mechanic that encourages proper meter management and keeps advantage to the better player with only a small chance of the losing player clutching a victory (which they have to do with less meter than before). So far it doesn't seem as severe as other comeback mechanics (or Dark Phoenix for that matter).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Viscant needs a GAF account to come join CreepyGAF and also to argue with HendricksGAF.

EDIT:
tumblr_mjm4c0BJN51qb9vvpo1_500.jpg

EDIT2: Damn, time flies. We need thread titles for next week folks, pronto. Something about the new SF update.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Oh this guy must be Marky's boss.

No, sorry. That was our PR manager.

I want to explain something. Most of the boys weren't there at the end of DAY 1 of PAX. That's because we pulled at 36 hour shift the night before cuz of Unveiled and went straight into PAX East Day 1.

It was grueling. But for Day 2 we had less hiccups and the production was on point (thanks sp00ky!). Day 3 was just as good.

Surprisingly, I didn't lose my voice.

Top Bottom