• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9 PS4 announced

I did some screenshots for people curious.

DKE4_bGW0AEQRKC.jpg

DKE5DAZWsAA_Cqw.jpg

DKE5HtiXoAAywoC.jpg

DKE5MN0X0AEXKBc.jpg

DKE5REUWAAAU5dv.jpg

DKE5VM_XUAEvCSC.jpg

DKE5ZFAU8AAtz0v.jpg

DKE5cbSVYAAabKo.jpg

That's still a very high asking price with the 20% discount, considering the quality of the port and age of the game.

that's Square Enix to you..

as much as i love this..probably will get it when a discount is happening..

i got the PS1 Classic version for like a buck or something from a PSN fire sale.

Shin-Ra

I don't understand what the grey pillarbox texture's supposed to be. It looks very low res, stretched and mirrored.

IIRC also the PC version world map ran at around 15fps as well. I think as far as updating goes it's mostly the UI which is really cleaned up and the menu performance

Scotia

Banned
Don't kill me but I've never played a final fantasy game. Would this be a good game to get started with?

Any Final Fantasy game is good to start with as all of them have their own unique story, characters and settings. If you like the look of FF9, then by all means play it.

A few look very hard and time consuming.

i mean with no combat and faster option....it should negates some of the more time consuming parts no?

it's been ages since i completed FF9 (i completed it when i was like 20 or something and i'm now 35 LOL) but i vividly remember that my only issue with FF9 is the pacing of the combat (takes too long)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This game brings back such great memories FF9 is the last Final Fantasy game that mattered.

FinalAres

Excalibur II will no doubt be the most annoying of them all.

It's actually not too bad with High Speed mode. I've done the 'platinum' on Steam and it took like...70 hours? But most of that was just grinding. I think 40 hours of actual play time. Again I used High Speed Mode when I was bored though.

Don't kill me but I've never played a final fantasy game. Would this be a good game to get started with?

it's definitely the least 'convoluted'..plot-wise in terms of the 3D FF.....no 'reunion' with mother/split personality mumbojumbo (7), no time compression (8), no Zanarkand/spira/Sin nonsense (10), no japanese star wars (12), no Fal'Cie/L'Cie lunacy (13) and no boyband (15). The plot is easy too follow (entity from another world coming to our world to destroy it and you gotta stop it) but the characters are the star...with Vivi being eternally enduring.

shmoglish

Should be a good one to start. The world has a beautiful design, the characters are charming and you will get lots of content for your money (okay, imo 17,xx and 20,99 are to much). The first two discs of the game may ve the best of the franchise.

Jonnax

It's got a charming well told story with a cast of memorable characters.

It's my favourite one and I've played most.

Only downside is a lot of random battles but you get another option to disable random battles so you you want to explore it's less stressful.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Ugh. Same disgusting trophy list as the steam version. Grinding Chocobo to 99. Getting Excalibur 2. 100 Tetra Master wins. Definitely gonna need a guide for the 79 Active Time Events too.

Serenity_Lotus

Neo Member
It shouldn't be, I think. We have speed options now and cutscenes are skippable.

It's actually not too bad with High Speed mode. I've done the 'platinum' on Steam and it took like...70 hours? But most of that was just grinding. I think 40 hours of actual play time. Again I used High Speed Mode when I was bored though.

Thinking about this now... True. Getting that damn weapon back then still haunts me, lol.

Surely cheats would invalidate the trophies right? There's what looks to be a level 99 cheat (the 9999 one) and one trophy is for getting a character to level 99, unless the 9999 cheat doesn't actually raise your level at all...

theofficefan99

I love how this version has a scene skip option, but 3 re-releases in and Final Fantasy X STILL has no scene skip option. #StillButthurt

Surely cheats would invalidate the trophies right? There's what looks to be a level 99 cheat (the 9999 one) and one trophy is for getting a character to level 99, unless the 9999 cheat doesn't actually raise your level at all...

They didn't for VII so I'd expect the same. So no, cheats won't lock trophies.

This is the Unity port to iOS (from Silicon Studio Thailand, iirc) with the algorithmically-upscaled backgrounds, right?

Is that a good thing?

Please tell me there is an option to change the UI.

Looks like it's lifted straight from the iOS release, touch-buttons and all.

Top Bottom