• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

TheChaos0

Lol, I just finished it Fri. night and was all sorts of
pissed that they all died. Pretty gruesome scene fuck Machina, he was a douche and shouldn't get credit for anything.
Is there a different ending on a second play through with a different difficulty level?

There's an alternative ending/scene in crystalium, that's not really canon, if you complete the game a second time.

Make sure not to miss 2 extra scenes that you would need to view directly from the crystalium.

I finally started playing through the game yesterday and the camera fix definitely improves the game a lot for me. I'm really enjoying the combat system but it's a bit annoying how you can only do a certain number of side activities between missions. I only just finished chapter 2 so I'm really early in, but I'm already getting the feeling that focusing on 6 party members might not be enough.

Rymuth

Finished the game, now I'm sad

Saw the
alternate ending
, now I'm happy

Tabata, you glorious bastard. What an awesome game, even though half of its plot is hidden from the player.

I started this over the weekend, in the middle of chapter 5. I'm really liking it but the game does a pretty bad job at explaining what things are. I had to look a few things up and once I got a feel for all the characters I'm really enjoying it. I saw what the pre-patch camera was like from some videos and am super glad I'm playing post-patch, it's fine for me.

My faves:
Sice
Seven
King
Queen

Least faves:
Cinque
Jack

I had to look up which one Jack is, I remember him as "sword guy." It looks like he gets really OP. I'm learning just now that you can holster your weapons (L+R? that's what a PSP guide said but I'm on PS4). I have to grind a bit before my next mission, I'll give him another chance.

Finalow

I did some tasks in chapter 2 but the rewards were all crap, should I just skip all of them or some are actually worth it? If so, I'd like to know which ones.

enjoying the game so far, bad camera or not combat is pretty fun and you have a lot of variety with all these characters. //Queen OP//

edit/ damn this thread is dead

Windam

Scaley member
Do you unlock extra cutscenes on a NG+, or do you only get the alternate ending at the very end? Beat the game last week (and missed three trophies because expert trials FFFFFUUUUU--) and it left me sad and confused as hell. Mostly sad. Now the beginning part of Utakata is stuck in my head. Goddammit.

I'm on Officer difficulty (normal) first playthrough.

The character/enemy levels are a bit off. I was being told that my Level 17-19 party would be fine for a level 21 mission. Does not compute. I leveled up and steamrolled the mission so I guess they were right. I did face a level 35 boss and steamrolled him too, so yeah.

I finally had a mission where they said I need to level up so I've been running Corsi Cave to get my team to around 30. Apparently there's a cave in the north I have access to so I'm headed there tonight.

There's invisible walls in the world map. Someone on campus asked me to kill 3 Imperial soldiers in a forest but when I went there it said "You are not allowed to enter!" Some of the caves do this too.

So I was replaying a mission earlier and this happened.

tk7DxoQ.gif

So last night's mandatory grinding caused me to get better with combat. It's not so much about hacking and slashing anymore, it's all about the killsights. Sice was my former favorite but her attack animation is pretty slow. I prefer someone who can quick jab when the killsight appears and Sice has been knocked down several pegs now. Depending on the enemy I'll still hack and slash them though. The Fire Bombs in the caves for instance, it's just easier and faster to kill them regularly than to bait/wait for the killsight. My squad is ready for the next mission so that'll be tonight (end of Chapter 5).

pots555

Restarted the game and the patch made the camera much more manageable. I am now only leveling up 6 characters and this is helping me enjoying it more. A solid game with a fun combat system.

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 7 now. Chapter 5 finale and Chapter 6 were really good! It was odd how the cutscenes were interrupted with text of what was happening with narration of the text, it reminded me of a silent movie and was odd. I figure that's how they stretched things out on PSP, though.

I am not a fan of bosses you're supposed to lose against. I've gotten pretty good with figuring it out or being suspicious enough during the battle so that I don't burn any items. At least the game is good with putting a save point right before the fight so I know if I lose and it actually gives me a Game Over that I'll just start right there again.

I don't think I'll be playing NG+. If there's holes in the plot or ending I'll probably just read online

adding to this post so I don't double post:
So I finished Chapter 7 and stopped for the night right at the beginning of Chapter 8. Spoilers for all Chapter 7:
The pacing went out the window. After the victory with the Alexander summon, we march on 2 of their 3 capitals and conquer/capture them in an RTS mission. It took me less than 10 minutes. The next main mission after that is a boss fight only! Why did I even level up my characters, I fought this guy already and there wasn't even a stage building up to him, we just start right at him! After beating him in less than 5 minutes, the war is over!! This was way too easy and rushed, I feel like they ran out of time or space on the PSP UMD and had to finish the story as fast as they could.

After this things got pretty bizarre. I found it absurd at first but I think I like it now. Once you head back to the school it turns out that creatures from another dimension appear and destroyed the world! I have an idea on how it ties together but it definitely came out of nowhere. Also some of the cutscenes with dialogue just fade to black and stop while people are still talking. I had to check and make sure I wasn't leaning on the skip button or something, which I wasn't. I'm sure it's just a method to not reveal the answers but was weird.

I'm playing the final mission tonight. I've decided not to play New Game +, I enjoy the game but not THAT much. I hope there's something online I can read to fill in any plot holes intended for NG+.

I just started this game even though i've owned it since released. I'm a little bit into chapter 2, right after your first mission that is kind of like a table top game in the world map?

I'm loving it so far, and the graphics have this weird upscaled PS2 charm to them. I can't wait to see the story unfold some more and to not be so overwhelmed by all the systems. They're not as complicated as they make it seem I think, but they throw a lot on to you at once.

I just started this game even though i've owned it since released. I'm a little bit into chapter 2, right after your first mission that is kind of like a table top game in the world map?

I'm loving it so far, and the graphics have this weird upscaled PS2 charm to them. I can't wait to see the story unfold some more and to not be so overwhelmed by all the systems. They're not as complicated as they make it seem I think, but they throw a lot on to you at once.

yeah, I had to look up a few things after they explained it to me. I was allowing backup for SPP but then I realized that was blocking out my main squad for XP. I also had to look up what the AG meter is; it's above your button commands and refills with normal attacks, then you can do non-magic abilities with that meter. I had no idea for the first like 3 hours

regarding what you said about the graphics, I love it when a touched up character model is talking to one that clearly wasn't. I find it amusing

I finished the game earlier today and really enjoyed it even though
I only had a basic understanding of what was going on in the final chapter.
I'll probably do a New Game Plus run soon.

I didn't go too far out of the way for it, but this was also my first time getting a Platinum trophy.

I finished it last night as well. I wasn't certain of what was going on with the plot but I had an interpretation, I went online afterwards and confirmed I was mostly right. Being so vague soured the whole experience though, being uncertain overshadowed any other emotions I could have been feeling while watching the ending.

I like what they were going for it's just the delivery was really bad. I also chose
Remain as humans
first and I think seeing the other option would have helped.

Finalow

yes this way of delivering a story is honestly garbage. I don't know why they did it and they are not the only ones, I remember something similar with RoF for example.

I mean, you finish the game 'normally' and you have no idea of what is going on, almost nothing during the last chapter is explained. you have to check some random videos which are unlocked after finishing the game one or more times to understand *maybe* something. I usually like to have a "history/database" section in games, used to convey details/art/etc. about characters, the world of the game and stuff like that. you don't use it to explain what happens during key events in the story.
at some point this game reminded me of KH with random mysterious hidden by an armor or a coat figures thrown in the game because-itsupposed2becool.

so after finishing the game and spending one hour or so reading about it I understand more or less everything. meh, nothing too interesting. very abused concepts and ideas that I already saw or read about it enough times. plus there is the fact that everything was poorly written, narrated and some characters (especially the ones supposed to be "main characters") were really awful. [I fear for FFXV ;(]
I have to admit though that the ending was nice. if you remove Machina from it

that being said, the music is great, combat is fun and there is enough optional content if you want to go for NG+ or give the superbosses a try. in the end I enjoyed it for what it was.

speaking of superbosses, they had a really neat idea with the Darkness of Suzaku boss but they decided to make him a fucking KFC chicken-head monster. literally ruined by his design

Just started this game (on chapter 2) and I have to say I am liking it quite a bit. I like the sense of being a class in the academy and there being an almost social link like mechanic between the missions. Combat is solid and the variety of styles to play right now is overwhelming. The story is interesting but chocked full of jargon. I think its the cast and their interactions is whats going to keep me hooked.

Some systems I'm not sure on. What is SPP and why do I need it? I don't like the main cast being swapped in by randoms at any given time.

About the exclamation marks : I used to think that the number of hours dictated how many events were open but it seems there are more events than you can do before a mission starts. Are missed events permanently gone? Not a big deal if its just those random NPC/moogle talks but some events are introducing new characters and dialogue between the cast which I really don't want to miss out on.

What are Chocobo's used for? Just world map traversal?

Whats the point of collecting Knowing tags?

Some systems I'm not sure on. What is SPP and why do I need it? I don't like the main cast being swapped in by randoms at any given time.

What are Chocobo's used for? Just world map traversal?
I can answer these 2. SPP is a type of currency you get when you allow "backup" to join you on a mission. You can use it to buy stuff from 1 vendor, I think he's in the command room. There's also a string of "Tasks" that require you to get SPP which I skipped because screw that, I want my main cast to get the XP.

Chocobos are for world traversal, yes. You'll need them when you're going a distance and/or running from the Behemoths, which can be seen while you're on the map. You'll also use them in a special type of mission, there's 3 in the campaign. You can apparently skip them but it's an RTS style, capture the cities minigame. Chocobos will help you move the map and their kick attack is really good at defeating enemy troops.

pots555

Chapter 5 is much harder than anything else so far. Wow! I love the location and the fights but I am actually dying a lot...

^^
Is there any other way to get SPP and is it important? I see new weapons being locked behind SPP which is stupid. Can I not get these weapons anywhere else?

Is it recommended to be playing on Officer difficulty?

Went to Corsi cave and the monsters were two shotting me. Things would be easier if I could have a healer. The cure command takes too long -____- . Who from class 0 is a healer?

This game is fun but there's so much going on. So many questions.

The arena....do the enemies ever change?

What does the yellow highlights on names mean before selecting a squad?

The way the task system is handled is annoying. You can only choose one but many require you to go outside which takes 6 hours. I guess you can remember them, get the materials and come back but at that point why could they not just let you have multiple tasks?

Most important question: is it worth levelling Deuce up? Her buffs are pretty insane, do they stay that way?

^^
Is there any other way to get SPP and is it important? I see new weapons being locked behind SPP which is stupid. Can I not get these weapons anywhere else?

That's the only way to get SPP. Those specific weapons, no, you cannot get them anywhere else. But there are a bunch of weapons in the game. Some can be bought with Gil, others with SPP, other by other methods.

I forgot what Officer difficulty is. But if you're being two shot in Corsi Cave, don't make it any more difficult. Stick with normal.

Went to Corsi cave and the monsters were two shotting me. Things would be easier if I could have a healer. The cure command takes too long -____- . Who from class 0 is a healer?

Anyone can be a healer as long as they have the Cure spell. Rem and Queen naturally have a lot of MP.

Nope. Use the arena for Tasks that ask you to kill X number of enemies but don't care what kind.

It means those characters are slightly more powerful at the moment.

The way the task system is handled is annoying. You can only choose one but many require you to go outside which takes 6 hours. I guess you can remember them, get the materials and come back but at that point why could they not just let you have multiple tasks?

The task system was designed with multiple playthroughs in mind.

Most important question: is it worth levelling Deuce up? Her buffs are pretty insane, do they stay that way?

Yes and yes. And believe it or not, she can be an offensive monster once you unlock a bunch of her attack abilities.

Here's my take, Psycho_Mantis:

Do what you want. There's no achievement/trophy tied to difficulty level. Cadet was easy, Officer normal, and I can't remember what hard is, probably Agito. I played on Officer and had to grind just once or twice. If you are getting 2 shot killed in Corsi Cave, you don't belong there yet.

Anyone can be a healer. Also don't forget to map an item to down on the dpad. I had a TON of megalixers by the end of the game and it felt weird using them. They're megalixers! You're supposed to save those, lol. Having a character KO'ed is part of the game, you will inevitably have to tag new members in to your team of 3.

No. You don't really need this, it's good for some tasks that require "10 killsights" or whatever. I'd rather fight enemies on the world map if I need to level up

They're "primed." They'll perform better for that mission and will also have a red glow surrounding them in play, like Akuma from Street Fighter or some shit. There's an achievement for using only primed cadets for any one mission

Seriously. Also I hate how if you complete a task, you have to turn it in before accepting a new one. As you get deeper in the game the amount of time you have between missions will increase

It sounds like the common strategy is to pick your top 6 favorites and just focus on them. For my 1 playthrough on Officer (normal) I kept everyone at the same level. It did require like 2 nights worth of grinding during chapter 5 but I didn't mind it, combat is fun and I got better at it. Deuce was a great AI teammate for me but I rarely used her directly.

Here's my take, Psycho_Mantis:

Do what you want. There's no achievement/trophy tied to difficulty level. Cadet was easy, Officer normal, and I can't remember what hard is, probably Agito. I played on Officer and had to grind just once or twice. If you are getting 2 shot killed in Corsi Cave, you don't belong there yet.

Anyone can be a healer. Also don't forget to map an item to down on the dpad. I had a TON of megalixers by the end of the game and it felt weird using them. They're megalixers! You're supposed to save those, lol. Having a character KO'ed is part of the game, you will inevitably have to tag new members in to your team of 3.

No. You don't really need this, it's good for some tasks that require "10 killsights" or whatever. I'd rather fight enemies on the world map if I need to level up

They're "primed." They'll perform better for that mission and will also have a red glow surrounding them in play, like Akuma from Street Fighter or some shit. There's an achievement for using only primed cadets for any one mission

Seriously. Also I hate how if you complete a task, you have to turn it in before accepting a new one. As you get deeper in the game the amount of time you have between missions will increase

It sounds like the common strategy is to pick your top 6 favorites and just focus on them. For my 1 playthrough on Officer (normal) I kept everyone at the same level. It did require like 2 nights worth of grinding during chapter 5 but I didn't mind it, combat is fun and I got better at it. Deuce was a great AI teammate for me but I rarely used her directly.

That's the only way to get SPP. Those specific weapons, no, you cannot get them anywhere else. But there are a bunch of weapons in the game. Some can be bought with Gil, others with SPP, other by other methods.

I forgot what Officer difficulty is. But if you're being two shot in Corsi Cave, don't make it any more difficult. Stick with normal.

Anyone can be a healer as long as they have the Cure spell. Rem and Queen naturally have a lot of MP.

Nope. Use the arena for Tasks that ask you to kill X number of enemies but don't care what kind.

It means those characters are slightly more powerful at the moment.

The task system was designed with multiple playthroughs in mind.

Yes and yes. And believe it or not, she can be an offensive monster once you unlock a bunch of her attack abilities.

Thanks for the help!
Officer difficulty is fine, I was just being silly and fighting enemies way above my level xD

I think I've gone past the state of initial confusion and finally know how these systems work. The battle system is really deep, I'm surprised at how many combos there are for each character and now that I've gotten used to the controls its really satisfying. The overworld has finally opened up, with lots of places to explore and creatures to fight, its feeling like one of those old school jrpgs that I love :D

Favourite characters right now:
1. Machina
2. Queen
3. Rem
4. Ace
5. Sice
6.Seven

This game just keeps getting better. The boss battles are really cool, especially with that OST.

I'm a bit unsure on what to map for the special team attack. Eidolon summons are insanely powerful, the team attack doesn't seem to much unless I'm doing it wrong and the Vermillion Bird is somewhere in between but takes quite long. Its seems Eidolon is the clear winner?

The story really picked up as well:

Aria ;_______;
Rem ;_____________;
Machina ;___________________;

I expected Machina to go on his own path. He seems to thirst power, the power needed to ensure the one's he loves are protected, but will go to any lengths to get that power. I thought he was going to lose it when Rem "died" but it turned out well. I did not expect him to return in the deserted house scene and thought he was going to reappear as a L'Cie. Although he doesn't see Class 0 as friends, he does understand them, he understands the council are in a way blackmailing him.....but he's stuck with both of them.

Only thing I found a bit off-putting was how quickly he trusted the Commandent. That jump to conclusion was a bit too much.

Also whats up with Ace and regaining memories. Thats not meant to happen right, you are supposed to lose all memories you had with the dead.

how does one complete the Emina sidequest?

Do I just keep giving presents? I've done Kazuza's.

Emina's sidequest is a giant pain in the ass. Even the official guide doesn't fully explain it. I can't remember exactly how it works, but each gift item is tied to a certain cutscene, and some of them are tied to the same cutscene. After a number of cutscenes, there are certain thresholds where the overall quest can be advanced, and you can check to see if you can move to the next phase of the quest by talking to the faculty member outside of Arecia's room. The one who gave you the spell to begin with. So you'll alternate between giving her gifts and upgrading your spell and eventually you'll complete the quest.

The problem is that there's no indication of which gift results in which cutscene, so you might spend a TON of money on gifts and get the same cutscene a few times, which wastes hours and money.

So uh...either look up a guide or good luck. There might be a good guide for it out there somewhere.

It's also possible to skip cutscenes in this quest, which means you can lock yourself out of 100% Rubicus completion.

Emina's sidequest is a giant pain in the ass. Even the official guide doesn't fully explain it. I can't remember exactly how it works, but each gift item is tied to a certain cutscene, and some of them are tied to the same cutscene. After a number of cutscenes, there are certain thresholds where the overall quest can be advanced, and you can check to see if you can move to the next phase of the quest by talking to the faculty member outside of Arecia's room. The one who gave you the spell to begin with. So you'll alternate between giving her gifts and upgrading your spell and eventually you'll complete the quest.

The problem is that there's no indication of which gift results in which cutscene, so you might spend a TON of money on gifts and get the same cutscene a few times, which wastes hours and money.

So uh...either look up a guide or good luck. There might be a good guide for it out there somewhere.

It's also possible to skip cutscenes in this quest, which means you can lock yourself out of 100% Rubicus completion.

This is just bad game design. I mean I looked at the guide, and it says to just keep giving gifts until the guy at Sorcery gives you an option. I only have 1 day left till the last mission ;___;

Just finished this game. What a game.

The last dungeon was very interesting with its challenges but weirdly all the enemies were lvl 22. Quite low. Maybe to counter act there being no regen but it was a bit easy.

My reactions to the story:

Machina leaving the party........oh shit its happening ( I knew he was going to become a l'cie)/fuck this shit. Machina is a beast. I was taking out lvl 50 Behemoth Kings like nothing with him.

World suddenly collapsing on itself and immortals cleansing eveyrone.....did not see that coming.

I always knew that there was some larger plan going on. Rubrum, especially Mother knew way too much and it felt like she was the on pulling the strings. I'm glad that she was not the final boss or something like that (though I'm not sure how her character knows so much and was able to go to the plane where the final battle takes place.)

Machina and Rem. It was clear they had a major role to play form the beginning, especially Machina. I guessed he would become a L'Cie and try to change the way the crystals had the world set up (forgetting memories of loved ones) by becoming Agito. Still not sure what that really is or how he would do that.

I did not expect Rem to become an L'Cie. For them to fight each other and die like that ;_________; Seeing their crystals and the tragic back story.

Final boss was easy with a cool gimmick I guess. Bit anti-climatic since I expected a hard boss fight.

Then the ending cutscene......seeing them all acting like a class, seeing them laugh and seeing Machina and Rem walk into the classroom poised with their dead bodies.....and the flag on the case turning out to be made from their weapons and capes. Damn. I really loved this class of characters ;_____;

I'm not sure I understand how Mother was able to revive Machina and Rem and her role and the lore behind the crystals but that ending was poignant.
Really enjoyed this game and this comes from someone who initially bought this just for FFXV. Its a great JRPG and I cannot wait for a sequel based on current gen.

dc89

I ordered a copy of this from Amazon for £12 (PS4) - it arrived today but I didn't have time to start it.
Looking forward to starting it soon, at that price I thought why not.

Just finished this game. What a game.

The last dungeon was very interesting with its challenges but weirdly all the enemies were lvl 22. Quite low. Maybe to counter act there being no regen but it was a bit easy.

Really enjoyed this game and this comes from someone who initially bought this just for FFXV. Its a great JRPG and I cannot wait for a sequel based on current gen.

Regarding the final dungeon:
The enemy level is determined by averaging out the levels of all your party members and then subtracting 10, so in your case the average level for each of your party members would be 32.

Unfortunately, Type-Next hasn't been greenlit. However:
Check the cutscene list from the menu and watch the one on the very bottom titled "Rise From the Ashes" (assuming you haven't already seen it).

Finally got the platinum. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Planning to 100% the Rubicus (includes all l'Cie Stones), get all Eidolons, max out Class Zero's levels, beat all missions on all difficulties, get all weapons and armor, and whatever else I can think to do.

ShinMaruku

Wow that patch they put in really fixed the motion Blur huh? And Man I lose my shit any time I summon Shiva, what are your fave summons?

Glad I waited to finish the game until that motion blur patch came through.

I just finished it and got the plat. The story was kind of a stinker and a bunch of the characters were pretty meh, but I still enjoyed myself. Once I did some research on a wiki as to what was going on and the lore behind it, the game made more sense and I liked the ideas a lot more. I shouldn't have to do that, but whatever, I'm over it. The gameplay was really fun though and I really enjoyed a lot of the characters' styles. I sincerely hope they greenlight a sequel.

I'd like to go back and get that alternate ending, but I don't know that I have the time nor patience for a second runthrough right now...

Socivol

So I just finished the game I have sooooooo many questions!

Where was all the exposition about the final boss? It was kind of just there. I don't understand why
Class 0 had to die or why Rem and Machina became L'Ci for 3 scenes. Also when did you kill Celestia's son?

I missed A LOT of plot that just was not presented in the game at all. The story was really disappointing. Also why did they graphics look like complete ass at the end?

So I just bought this game and I'm liking it so far. Still kinda confused on how to choose who to play as when on a mission. I know the party is made up of 3 characters for me to switch to any moment during the fight. How can I slashing those characters exactly? Before any mission I take all of the characters with me to battle but some of them are dark/black and I'm not able to play as them. Hmm

So I just bought this game and I'm liking it so far. Still kinda confused on how to choose who to play as when on a mission. I know the party is made up of 3 characters for me to switch to any moment during the fight. How can I slashing those characters exactly? Before any mission I take all of the characters with me to battle but some of them are dark/black and I'm not able to play as them. Hmm

There's really no method or reason to choose a specific set of characters. Because of that everyone's rankings were all over the place by the end of my third playthrough. Queen was around 80 while everyone else was just above or below 50. I like a ranged/melee/support setup which would fall mostly to Cater/Queen/Deuce. Just use who you're comfortable with but get a feel for more than three characters to use effectively when your active party starts dying.

As for the black characters that is because you enabled SP Support, a remnant of the PSP game's co-op system. While that's enabled you'll earn SPP, used to purchase weapons/accessories and I think some spells in Akademia. However shadow characters will take the place of your active party and you will be unable to control them. I only used it when I knew I was going to lose my entire party so I wasn't fighting solo. There are better weapons that I found easier, and more practical, to obtain than the ones that can be purchased with SPP. But that's up to you.

There's really no method or reason to choose a specific set of characters. Because of that everyone's rankings were all over the place by the end of my third playthrough. Queen was around 80 while everyone else was just above or below 50. I like a ranged/melee/support setup which would fall mostly to Cater/Queen/Deuce. Just use who you're comfortable with but get a feel for more than three characters to use effectively when your active party starts dying.

As for the black characters that is because you enabled SP Support, a remnant of the PSP game's co-op system. While that's enabled you'll earn SPP, used to purchase weapons/accessories and I think some spells in Akademia. However shadow characters will take the place of your active party and you will be unable to control them. I only used it when I knew I was going to lose my entire party so I wasn't fighting solo. There are better weapons that I found easier, and more practical, to obtain than the ones that can be purchased with SPP. But that's up to you.

Awesome. Thank you. I will have to play a bit more to know who I want to play as.

sphinx

the piano man
I recently started this, I finished the prologue or intro chapter and now I am wandering around in the Akademia.

as a completionist.... what should I be aware of?

I read about some missable cutscenes in chapter 7 or 8 that will not appear on subsequent +NG playthroughs but I haven't been able to properly understand what's to be done to securely get them. Can anyone explain?

and, is there anything else i should know??

Top Bottom