• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Finished the game,
can I melt it or something, what a badly written atrocious ending. Can FF not even avoid bad writing? Eight shouldnt have died, Trey, Jack, and Ace as well, ugh

Fun battle system and would play more entries I guess.

Oh well, its the second Final Fantasy I beat (after 13), hopefully more come to PS4 so I can try more of the series beyond 15.

Roughly how far am I through the game? I JUST started Chapter 6.
Last part of Chapter 5, I killed a L'cie using Bahamut Zero or whatever.
And how necessary is it to play through the game a second time to get the full story? With a rather large backlog, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that. Maybe I can just watch the extra scenes on youtube or something if I need it to get the full story.

You're pretty close to the ending I'd say. A few more hours.

NG+ doesn't actually add that much more, it just helps because you will understand the cutscenes way more. Unless you're interested in continuing the game after you beat it (be it for the story, for the optional content, or wtv) I wouldn't say NG+ is really needed.

Whatever you don't understand you can ask here too if you prefer.

KTO

Roughly how far am I through the game? I JUST started Chapter 6.
Last part of Chapter 5, I killed a L'cie using Bahamut Zero or whatever.
And how necessary is it to play through the game a second time to get the full story? With a rather large backlog, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that. Maybe I can just watch the extra scenes on youtube or something if I need it to get the full story.

There really isn't much story added in NG+ but every main mission has an alternate mission that is totally different than the original. It really depends on how into the game you are whether you want to actually complete it or not. You don't even need to do a good 70% of the content in the game to get the platinum.
In terms of finishing the story i'd say you are a good 80% of the way through the game. If you really want to burn through it you could just skip the stupid sortie missions, which can get incredibly hard if you are underleveled and skip completing tasks during free time as the rewards arent really worth the effort in most cases. If you did that you could finish within 1-2 hours maybe more because of cutscenes. There are a bunch in the last chapter.
In terms of actual game completion though there are those optional high level missions that are basically impossible the first playthrough, the alternate story missions (with very little relevant story) and 2/3 other difficulties for every mission which unlock better items and eidolons, as well as 3 optional non mission related super high level dungeons

I really wanted to like this game, but there are so many issues I have with it.

The motion blur is just horrible. I just have to wonder how it got past QA. Actually, why did the developers even think to have such intense motion blur anyways? Is it to try and hide the obvious low poly environments? It's mind-boggling to think that the developers didn't see any problems with it.

The character models themselves are decent, but it is jarring to see those models alongside everything else in the game. The simple animations makes it even more obvious that those models are completely out of place, not to mention how ridiculous it is when the game switches to pre-rendered footage. They should have just used the pre-rendered models as it would've been a much more cohesive looking game.

Combat is fun at first, but becomes a bit repetitive by mid-point. Although there are many different characters to use, none of them really have any depth. I would've preferred less characters with more depth to each one of them. Instead, once I've found the few characters I do like to use, I became bored of them since their gameplay never really evolves after getting the very few amount of abilities and being limited to only 2 active abilities during combat.

Music is good at some parts, and completely mediocre at others. Nothing really special, except for the ending theme.

Pacing is horrible. I absolutely hate how disjointed the story is presented. I get that it's supposed to be a record of events, but it's a really uninteresting way to tell a story. At best, it's about as entertaining as watching a documentary on fictional events. Also, locking extra cutscenes behind a second play-through that would help the player understand the plot is just plain stupid. By chapter 5, I've already given up on caring about the plot and its characters. Some of these events are great story points, but the game does not give ample time for characters to react and develop over these events. Needing to read through a database or talking to every NPC just to try and get some connection to the plot is the worst.

The characters, much like the combat, does not have any depth. Everyone is completely 1 dimensional and some of them borderline on irritating. Nothing else to say about them.

Last chapter spoilers:
Giving a random decision that leads to a bad end 20% of the way into the final dungeon that has no real relevance to the plot at that point in time is one of the most stupidest design decisions ever made in a game. I just can't understand why that is there. There is zero reason to have that choice there. If that choice was completely removed, nothing would have been lost. If you chose to stay human, then the game continues normally as if nothing happened. If you chose to become a l'cie, it just awkwardly boots you out of the dungeon and places you back at the entrance of the school. It does not make any sense. And as an insult, there's no end to the segment until you die. So you can potentially waste a ridiculous amount of time at a dead end. Adds nothing to the game and is just insulting to the player.

Also, why is there no actual final boss fight? I get that scripted final fights are there pretty much for story reasons, like Yu Yevon in FFX or Sephiroth in FF7. The thing is, there was at least Braska's Final Aeon and Sephiroth's transformations to act as actual final boss fights for their respective games. But there was nothing before the Cid segment. Just a sequence you had to lose, and a sequence you could not lose. Very disappointing end to a very disappointing game.

The ending cutscene might have been good if I had any care left for the characters, but at that point I was just glad the game was over.

I loved Crisis Core and hearing that this game was like Crisis Core made me really excited to finally get a chance to play it. Sadly, this fell into the camp of The 3rd Birthday instead of Crisis Core.

Alcahest

Ok I (finally) got this game, japanese version PLJM-84019.

This version does NOT have an option for english subs/interface/menu.

I've read absolutely everywhere it did, WTF.

:maxdisappointmenton:

Cornbread78

the other night, I finished the RTS part of chp.5 and saved when prompted, but shut off, I figured when I turned it back on there would be a cut scene or something, but nothing. I'm outside one of the bases and there is no objective arrow, but it won't allow me to enter anywhere other than Toguagh.

Anyone know where u go next?

the other night, I finished the RTS part of chp.5 and saved when prompted, but shut off, I figured when I turned it back on there would be a cut scene or something, but nothing. I'm outside one of the bases and there is no objective arrow, but it won't allow me to enter anywhere other than Toguagh.

Huh? Did you shut off while saving? =X

Anyway, try going back to the academy (from the start menu), if you finished the mission that's where you go to continue the game.

Weird thing you got no cutscene though.

Cornbread78

Huh? Did you shut off while saving? =X

Anyway, try going back to the academy (from the start menu), if you finished the mission that's where you go to continue the game.

Weird thing you got no cutscene though.

I shut it off right after I saved it, but I guess they don't show you the cutscene when you do that.. you were right though, I just went back to the academy. .

creid

I just passed that part, and didn't power off, and there was no cutscene. You can doublecheck in the library if you want, too.

I gotta say that I really don't like a lot of the redone tracks in the soundtrack. Although some of the vocals sound like a higher quality, they just sound off for some reason. Some of the songs even add vocals in spots where they weren't even there in their originals. Maybe it's because I am so familiar with the original release's tracks but I kinda wish they had left it alone tbh.

Anyway I've shelved this on Ch5 since Bloodbourne came out and am not even sure I want to go back. I loved my playthrough on PSP, but this just isn't doing much for me. A lot of this has to do with the motion blur from the camera. It makes me even more pissed when I look at the world map and I don't even notice it there. I wish the would find a way to fix this, but I know damn well it's not going to happen. And then there is the whole cobbled together look this game has. Some of the enemies and characters have some awesome looking textures in places, right next to pixely messes of textures. It lacks visual balance and cohesion in a way that I kind of find repulsive.

And I didn't even really like the XV demo either. Kind of a bummed longtime FF fan right now. But I resubbed to XIV so maybe that will cheer me up.

johnsmith

remember me
Just beat it. I hate this game. Whoever wrote the story is an asshole.

I'm going to go cry now.

It's not even just class 0, but Aria? Emina? Even that nobody Aki dying hit me. But that asshole Machina gets to live happily ever after? FUCK YOUUUU

Machina is the worst jrpg character I've seen in a long time. I haven't hated anybody as much since Micaiah from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
so his ending just rubs salt in the wound

alittlelove

Neo Member
Just finished my first playthrough. It's really obvious that this was meant to be a PSP game - not just graphic-wise, but also just how the game was put together in general.

I'm okay with most things in the game - even got used to the camera after a few hours. My only real gripe is that I really wished they developed the characters, because most of them are actually likeable. Instead of spending that extra time on useless side characters in the events period, why not give the main characters more depth? It makes no sense.

I'm wondering if whoever wrote the ending scene was a different writer from the one writing the rest of the dialogue, because the ending
was a whole lot of T_T. I barely knew these characters and it still hurts. So much about the world they don't know, and they'll never know it. It's a bit ridiculous that Machina and Rem get this chance though - it's hard to hate them when they don't actually have much character to hate, but really, based on the story events they deserved to stay crystallized.

Kurasame made me really sad too. The way Kazusa spent 7 or 8 more events afterwards trying to convince himself the guy existed doesn't help. And Aria, oh man :(.

There are a few things I'm not sure I understand though (maybe these are things that are explained in NG+):
- What was Cid trying to do? How did he become the judge, and how did defeating him result in the crystals phasing out?
- What exactly is Tempus Finis and how did it get triggered?
- What is Mother's role in all of this?

- What was Cid trying to do? How did he become the judge, and how did defeating him result in the crystals phasing out?
- What exactly is Tempus Finis and how did it get triggered?
- What is Mother's role in all of this?

Oh boy, heavy spoiler territory here.

-Cid was trying to become Agito, but when he went there, the real judge said he needed to use Cid's body to kill everyone else. Cid declined and killed himself, but the judge still used his dead corpse.
-Tempus Finis is what happens when one kingdom conquers all other 3, it is a way to kill everyone and go back to a point where all 4 kingdoms still exist (basically a "cycle" that keeps happening). The reason for it all is in the next answer.
-Mother (and the judge) are trying to find a way of opening Etro's Gate (which is never actually named in the game, but it's a door to the world of the dead), and for that they need to sacrifice souls in order for the gate to appear. Their plans for doing so were basically:
Mother: sacrifice a few very strong souls (Class Zero) and have that open the gate. It's a way she found that doesn't involve killing the entire planet.
Judge: Kill everyone, if it fails, just go back and do again (Tempus Finis).
When you killed the Judge, you stopped his cycle, so Arecia decided to leave the world as it is (and presumably gave up on trying to find the gate), so she took away the crystals and stuff like forgetting the dead from the world.

If you want a more in-depth answer (that basically goes over the Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff) then tell me and I'll dig my old post out for you =X

alittlelove

Neo Member
Oh boy, heavy spoiler territory here.

-Cid was trying to become Agito, but when he went there, the real judge said he needed to use Cid's body to kill everyone else. Cid declined and killed himself, but the judge still used his dead corpse.
-Tempus Finis is what happens when one kingdom conquers all other 3, it is a way to kill everyone and go back to a point where all 4 kingdoms still exist (basically a "cycle" that keeps happening). The reason for it all is in the next answer.
-Mother (and the judge) are trying to find a way of opening Etro's Gate (which is never actually named in the game, but it's a door to the world of the dead), and for that they need to sacrifice souls in order for the gate to appear. Their plans for doing so were basically:
Mother: sacrifice a few very strong souls (Class Zero) and have that open the gate. It's a way she found that doesn't involve killing the entire planet.
Judge: Kill everyone, if it fails, just go back and do again (Tempus Finis).
When you killed the Judge, you stopped his cycle, so Arecia decided to leave the world as it is (and presumably gave up on trying to find the gate), so she took away the crystals and stuff like forgetting the dead from the world.

If you want a more in-depth answer (that basically goes over the Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff) then tell me and I'll dig my old post out for you =X

I do remember the scene where Cid kills himself - that one makes much more sense now at least.

So both the Judge and Arecia are deities of some sort. What happens when Etro's gate opens? (Wasn't this what the gods in FF13 were trying to do too?)

Einbroch

Banned
Platinum'd this game last week.

How I played:

- Officer difficulty.
- Skipped every cutscene, speaking scene, etc. Didn't watch a single one after the first thirty minutes were unbearable.
- Power leveled Rem to level 99 (exploit), but never used her. Thought it'd be fun to wreck things, it wasn't.
- Played exclusively as Queen, no cheats. Never played as anyone else until the final chapter or when you split. Only leveled Thunder and put all my points into making it stronger and cost less MP.
- Everyone ended the game at level ~20.
- Only died once to a boss that one hit KO'd you.

Overall...meh. Story could have turned out well, but the VO and non-sensical story turned me off hard. Game was easy, and once I unlocked Thunder SHG-II the game was a complete joke.

Combat was fun, though.

I do remember the scene where Cid kills himself - that one makes much more sense now at least.

So both the Judge and Arecia are deities of some sort. What happens when Etro's gate opens? (Wasn't this what the gods in FF13 were trying to do too?)

I'm not very knowledgeable about the FNC, but as far as I know, opening the gate will give you immortality. So Arecia and the Judge are both seeking this.

I suppose this is similar to FFXIII yeah, both game follow the same overall mythology too.

Today I went back and started to play the PSP release again after stopping on the first hour when I heard the announcement that the HD one was coming. I am amazed that I am having a much better time with this game on my PSP with compenent out to my HDTV than I did with the HD release. The colors and lightning seem much more interesting and have this grittiness to them that really adds to the atmosphere. Even the music sounds a lot better to me without all the unnecessary vocals they added. Heck, the fantranslation is better (Vermillion Bird Crystal lol) than what we got in HD.

And I just noticed today that Square couldn't even be bothered to translate the dialog that appears during the lessons from Mog in the Class Zero classroom. In the PSP version you are told neat tidbits about the world, as well as having Class Zero answer them like in a classroom environment. In the HD release the camera just pans over in silence.

I hate to rag on this release but I have never been this disappointed in a game before. Especially sad because it's my favorite franchise. I legitimately could not play it with the motion blur-induced nausea. Awesome game to get back to in English though, after only playing through the import release in Japanese only.

That's weird that you didn't get subtitles for the classroom bits. I definitely got them in the HD version.
I just tried Principles of Combat and Intro to Defensive Magic lessons in Class zero classroom and there is no voice at all during the lessons. Tried it in both English and Japanese, while the psp one has spoken dialog from Mog and students. Here the camera just pans over the class with only music playing.

Edit: I just tried 4 lessons on psp version now and they all had unique voice acting unlike any I've heard in HD.

I just tried Principles of Combat and Intro to Defensive Magic lessons in Class zero classroom and there is no voice at all during the lessons. Tried it in both English and Japanese, while the psp one has spoken dialog from Mog and students. Here the camera just pans over the class with only music playing.

Edit: I just tried 4 lessons on psp version now and they all had unique voice acting unlike any I've heard in HD.

Oh, I didn't know you meant voice over. So you do get subtitles, but there's no voice.

I'd forgotten that there was voice over in the PSP version, but you're right. It was just kind of generic voice over, though, not specific to what's being said in the subtitles.

Weird that they'd remove it.

Oh, I didn't know you meant voice over. So you do get subtitles, but there's no voice.

I'd forgotten that there was voice over in the PSP version, but you're right. It was just kind of generic voice over, though, not specific to what's being said in the subtitles.

Weird that they'd remove it.
No there isn't anything anything at all. The camera just pans over the class with some music playing...it looks really odd. No subs or voice in either Jp or English for Mog's lessons in classroom. and from what I've heard on each Psp lesson right now they are all unique and has them talking about geographic info and such. It does not seem generic and The subs seem to follow what's being talked about in classroom lesson voices.

I can't fathom why they wouldn't include it at all tho. It literally seems cut out and replaced with one piece of music. I guess they figured nobody would notice.

Falk

that puzzling face
No there isn't anything anything at all. The camera just pans over the class with some music playing...it looks really odd. No subs or voice in either Jp or English for Mog's lessons in classroom. and from what I've heard on each Psp lesson right now they are all unique and has them talking about geographic info and such. It does not seem generic and The subs seem to follow what's being talked about in classroom lesson voices.

Do you have subs turned on? There definitely are subs but no VA in the classroom lessons.

(Yes, bizarre)

Wagram

Platinum'd this game last week.

How I played:

- Officer difficulty.
- Skipped every cutscene, speaking scene, etc. Didn't watch a single one after the first thirty minutes were unbearable.
- Power leveled Rem to level 99 (exploit), but never used her. Thought it'd be fun to wreck things, it wasn't.
- Played exclusively as Queen, no cheats. Never played as anyone else until the final chapter or when you split. Only leveled Thunder and put all my points into making it stronger and cost less MP.
- Everyone ended the game at level ~20.
- Only died once to a boss that one hit KO'd you.

Overall...meh. Story could have turned out well, but the VO and non-sensical story turned me off hard. Game was easy, and once I unlocked Thunder SHG-II the game was a complete joke.

Combat was fun, though.

I find that confusing considering you state you only watched 30 minutes worth.

I beat the game tonight finally and I'm pretty disappointed with it overall. The combat and variety among each character was great and the music was good, but everything else was meh. The story was SO badly told... What is it with the FNC games and having such shitty storytelling where they don't even give you most of the information needed in cutscenes to understand what the fuck is going on? I had to read a wiki (and a few posts on here) because I became completely clueless as soon as the final chapter started. It was like that entire section was written by some random person who hadn't played the first 80% of the game, lol.

Hell, I think even the XIII trilogy's story was better which is sad because they certainly are not that great (and not told very well) either. I think the lore of Type 0 is interesting based on what I read in a wiki, but I'm not giving the game any credit since I had to read about it online.

Maybe my expectations were way too high for the game since I had always heard how it was so wonderful and probably would never be released here.

Boss Mog

There's an important cutscene from Chapter 7 not being shown in my game and others' as well. I wanna know if it's normal for it not to show up if circumstances aren't right or some such.
It's the cutscene of Aria's death after Qatar sacrifices himself to get the Ultima bomb away from the imperial capital. Is there a reason why I don't get the cutscene? Was I supposed to do something beforehand in order to get it?
In my game it goes straight from Cid to the save screen like this video but after Cid is shown it's supposed to show Aria's death like in this video.

Boss★Moogle;162413200 said:
There's an important cutscene from Chapter 7 not being shown in my game and others' as well. I wanna know if it's normal for it not to show up if circumstances aren't right or some such.
It's the cutscene of Aria's death after Qatar sacrifices himself to get the Ultima bomb away from the imperial capital. Is there a reason why I don't get the cutscene? Was I supposed to do something beforehand in order to get it?
In my game it goes straight from Cid to the save screen like this video but after Cid is shown it's supposed to show Aria's death like in this video.

Wha? She dies? lol Is it one of those New Game Plus only scenes because I certainly didn't get it either? Although I did watch a video that supposedly had them all and I didn't see her dying. To be fair, I skimmed through most of those scenes because of how they were not that interesting in subject matter and I wanted more focus on the actual ending-related stuff.

Wha? She dies? lol Is it one of those New Game Plus only scenes because I certainly didn't get it either? Although I did watch a video that supposedly had them all and I didn't see her dying. To be fair, I skimmed through most of those scenes because of how they were not that interesting in subject matter and I wanted more focus on the actual ending-related stuff.

It was a side scene and surprisingly dark.
Rubicum thing

The scene you're talking about and a few other Aria scenes are all optional. You have to talk to the other assistant characters during Free Time to unlock them, then view them in the Rubicus.

Boss★Moogle;162413200 said:

I didn't see it during the game either. There were a few other cutscenes that I had to look in the Rubicus to see as well.

I didn't see it during the game either. There were a few other cutscenes that I had to look in the Rubicus to see as well.

The way they presented the story in Type-0 is bizarre to say the least. It's like they go out of their way to hide information that should have been presented to the player in cutscenes that played in the main story.
Oh, you wanna know who "Mother" and Gala are and what their motivations were? Too bad, we're not telling!

The way they presented the story in Type-0 is bizarre to say the least. It's like they go out of their way to hide information that should have been presented to the player in cutscenes that played in the main story.
Oh, you wanna know who "Mother" and Gala are and what their motivations were? Too bad, we're not telling!

Yeah, I had to look to find out who
Tiz and Lean Joker were, or that they even existed,
as well. In that respect I would say it was worse than FFXIII. The story, the entire story, is pretty interesting and not everyone is able to see it in its entirety when cutscenes like that are missing/hidden. A single playthrough with no trips to the Rubicus will surely leave someone with more who's, what's, and why's than it should.

sora87

Powered through to the final
boss, looked like Deuce had no way of attacking but I guess I just wasn't standing close enough for flute to be effective.

All in all I'd say this game gave me more frustration over enjoyment, I was pumped for a more grounded gritty FF but it just didn't seem like that at all, and the story was just terrible.

Torraz

Just got to chapter 7.

Quick question:
When trying to replay the RTS battles I do not get the Option to call in reinforcements for SPP. What gives?

Thanks!

Yeah, I had to look to find out who
Tiz and Lean Joker were, or that they even existed,
as well. In that respect I would say it was worse than FFXIII. The story, the entire story, is pretty interesting and not everyone is able to see it in its entirety when cutscenes like that are missing/hidden. A single playthrough with no trips to the Rubicus will surely leave someone with more who's, what's, and why's than it should.

lol yeah, I had to look up who those people were. People shit all over the XIII trilogy's story, but it was still way better (and told better) than that Type-0 had. And honestly, that's impressive to me because the XIII stories are not that great either. :p Type-0 had the potential to have a fascinating story based on what I've read online, but they never explored it in the game itself and hid most of the info away from the player. It's just so confusing to me why the FNC games are so bad about presenting information to the player.

Jonnax

Just completed the game, it's very good for a PSP title.
But who thought it was a good idea to unlock cutscenes directly to that book?
If that is how Tabata rolls then I really fear for FFXV, the story would be all the much stronger if they actually showed all the cutscenes.

Also
lol @ Machina. Dude deserved nothing. Living to 67 years whilst everyone else died; hopefully Rem dumps him and he actually married a Tonberry.

Hasney

I feel like I've just been given permission to talk.

Just got the frickin' platinum. I loved it other than that frickin' camera, frickin' chapter 8 and the frickin' ending. Not sure if I full on disliked the ending or it just needs to sink in, but frick it, it's the best frickin' non-MMO FF I've played for an entire generation, so that's frickin' something.

Can probably guess my favourite character

I finished this game with 1000/1000 gamerscore, and when I looked up some info on the wiki to try and better understand the ending, I learned about all kinds of major characters and plot points that I had no idea about AT ALL...
Arecia was some kind of god who has reset the world 600 million times to try and turn Class Zero into some kind of messiah? Wait, WHAT?

I guess a lot of this stuff is only unlocked during a second playthrough...?

I feel like I've just been given permission to talk.

Just got the frickin' platinum. I loved it other than that frickin' camera, frickin' chapter 8 and the frickin' ending. Not sure if I full on disliked the ending or it just needs to sink in, but frick it, it's the best frickin' non-MMO FF I've played for an entire generation, so that's frickin' something.

Can probably guess my favourite character
I was like "why doesnt he just say fuck" then it sunk in

Hasney

I finished this game with 1000/1000 gamerscore, and when I looked up some info on the wiki to try and better understand the ending, I learned about all kinds of major characters and plot points that I had no idea about AT ALL...
Arecia was some kind of god who has reset the world 600 million times to try and turn Class Zero into some kind of messiah? Wait, WHAT?

I guess a lot of this stuff is only unlocked during a second playthrough...?

There's more to the ending unlocked in the library place I forget the name of that you can see as soon as you get there in your second playthrough.

There's more to the ending unlocked in the library place I forget the name of that you can see as soon as you get there in your second playthrough.
you can see the rubicus from the main menu by hitting history

One of the most important cutscenes that is stupidly not shown during an actual playthrough is in there after finishing the game
(tiz and joker talking to arecia)

Hasney

you can see the rubicus from the main menu by hitting history

One of the most important cutscenes that is stupidly not shown during an actual playthrough is in there after finishing the game
(tiz and joker talking to arecia)

Dammit, I started a second playthrough until I was wandering around Akedemia to see that, then had to run to CEX before it closed.

Cornbread78

I just got to chp.6 with a ton of free-time, even after all the Moore lectures and I'm really under leveled according to the command center. What is the fastest and most efficient way to lvl up this far into the game? Ace, King, Sice, Catar and Nine are all around lvl 30.

Hasney

I just got to chp.6 with a ton of free-time, even after all the Moore lectures and I'm really under leveled according to the command center. What is the fastest and most efficient way to lvl up this far into the game? Ace, King, Sice, Catar and Nine are all around lvl 30.

If you don't want to grind, go to the arena, do secret training and when it's back to the title screen, move your PS4 clock forward a day. Then repeat as many times as you like.

Just started playing. Are you forced to keep playing Ace? I don't like the rng. Is it viable to keep him out of my main party?

Edit: Thanks Falk. I figured that out pretty soon after getting in the Academy.

I unfortunately am returning it to gamefly tho. I couldn't get over the camera, motion blur, and pacing. This game isn't selling me on dude taking over on XV. :/

Top Bottom