• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Beat this roday, playing on Officer.

Really did not like it. I'm not sure why it ever got the title of the "good" Final Fantasy. Thought even XIII was better.

Didn't like the combat and could never figure out how to use items on the field save for the assigned slot, which didn't really matter since the game is overly stingy on Phoenix Downs, the only item that's even worth using. I think it only worked if the character was still one the screen? If so that is a goddamn terrible design decision, considering it's the only way I found to revive outside of Rem's auto-resurrect spell, and the game just loves to kill you for no reason, like with the White Falcon L'cie. Yeah thanks, that's really cool game. Story was not good, dialogue was also pretty bad, characters (they hardly existed) were pretty awful, Machina being the main problem. God, I don't think I've hated a character so much since Star Ocean IV, although I don't think FF has ever been strong at that, it was just mind blowing how bad it was here. The ending probably would've been cool if I gave a shit about anyone in the game. The English voice cast is almost hilariously bad, and the translation isn't localized. Who thought Nine ending every sentence with "yo" was a good idea? The motion blur, goddamn why? Couldn't play it for more then an hour at a time because of how terrible it was. That and the camera could be awful when trying to fight something big or that moves around a lot. I also never figured out how killsights work, it would seem sometimes you have to do a kind of counter to do it, but others it was just completely random.

And there were just a bunch of weird things about it. What's the point of the mission time limit? Why should I care about Phantoma? So I can upgrade my magic even though it lasted me fine pretty much unupgraded the entire game? Why doesn't it do more if the game forces you to absorb it before you can proceed? Why can I only use three abilities at once? Why did they take out multiplayer? Why are there so many bosses you have to lose to and so many times the game just kills you for funsies? In fact, why do all the bosses suck? How come there was so little when it came to equipment options? Why is the upgrading system so lame and boring? Why did the game only take advantage of the M rating in the first scene, then never again?
Why is the awesome airship hidden behind a side mission trial, and howcome I only get to to use it for about 20 minutes before the game enters the final level?
Why did they lift a plot point with Machina/Rem crystallizing and saving everyone wholesale from FF XIII when Fang and Vanille did it? Why is Seven just Lightning with grey hair?
Why is there an option to choose the L'cie ending if it forces you to lose and pick the stay human ending? That's just mind boggingly stupid.
Why is the last part of the game fucking terrible? Did they look at the semi-final level of Dante's Inferno and say to themselves "Yes this is great, we should copy this" because it sure as shit seems they did. Why did the game make me split up my group so many times for pretty much no reason? Seemed to only be important on the last level where I kept switching around.

I dunno what to say except it was pretty bad. Perhaps I was missing out on a bunch of systems I didn't understand, but if I did I sure as shit didn't need them to beat the game properly. It's really late so I hope I don't sound like a rambling crazy person, but this game was super disappointing to me in nearly every facet. There didn't seem to be any point to side content since Gil was pretty useless, I don't think I even bought any equipment aside from the base stuff from the armory, and I don't know WHO is ever going to gather all the L'Cie crystals for the big guy and stuff like that. One of the things I liked is that every character played pretty differently, that was cool. Although there being so many characters, none of them really develop at all. The music was good as well, and I love having just a huge compendium of knowledge like the book in the library. Telling me it's been updated every single time I go through a screen is annoying though. I dunno why I spent $60 on this. Hoping the FFXV demo serves me better.

Fuck Machina.

koutoru

I've only been focusing on leveling up 3 characters and so far I'm breezing through the missions.

The characters I usually use are 10+ levels above the recommended level for the mission and even the bosses die within a matter of seconds.

That is not the only way of getting greens though, some of them you can buy in towns, sometimes you can go back to that place from the end of chapter 4 and you can find greens there, and I think there was another place you could get them too, but I forgot =P

Basically if you don't want to keep trying the RNG on dungeons every time, just go buy them in town or something.

And yeah, I'd say 4-6 hours until the end.

Yeah, I found one shopkeeper selling greens and bought a bunch. I've only hatched about forty Chocobos, though, so I don't know if I'll get to one hundred.

Ah well

Thanks again for your help

Well, I finished it. Did the one playthrough, got the platinum trophy while I was as it, the only extra stuff that I had to go out of my way to do was unlocking the Setzer. I've got a lot I want to say, not sure how I'll do so, or if I'll say all I want to, so I'll start with the basic, spoiler free stuff and maybe post more later when it's not late.

Type-0 was a very, very, very okay game. It's by no means the greatest game in the series, I'd argue that the heavy majority of the mainline FF games are better, the ones that aren't are the early ones that are great to show how the series has progressed but aren't quite up to scratch nowadays. There's a lot of good, a lot of bad and a lot of confusion along the way.

The confusion definitely is a part of the plot, and the plot is both good and bad. Thrown behind extraneous reading and videos in ways that made XIII blush, not to mention that it might take at least one new game plus in order to get the rest of it. It's an interesting idea, four countries all at war, and it's not afraid to get morbid and gruesome, but the execution (which, actually, there is a surprising lack of) is pretty poorly done, particularly towards the later few chapters where everything gets thrown at once and I'm not entirely sure how and why I'm doing what I'm doing.

The gameplay is good, and I kept playing around with my teams, keeping both the levels balanced and getting used to playing with them more, although I do have my favourites. Started off as a fan of Ace although he eventually became my backup long range character after King, the dual pistols had good range and we're quick enough to get killstrikes easily which is where the meat of the damage in thus game came from, unless you're using Cinque or Jack. I liked using Cinque, and once I discovered Jack's damage prowess I wished I'd started playing with him sooner. Sice, Deuce and Queen I liked to keep in my team, although not necessarily to play as and the rest I used only to keep the levels even. Battles are the strong point of the gameplay, the rest is where it gets weaker and the limitations and game structure of it originally being a portable game come through.

Music is great, no debating that. I'll definitely start playing Theatrhythm Curtain Call again now.

Graphics are weird. The lead characters are just so shiny in comparison to everyone else, it just looks so weird. I think if they made them look worse the game might actually fit better, instead there's just this really gaping difference between Class Zero and the rest of Orience. The textures are alright otherwise though, basically done up PSP graphics, nothing too great or too poor to write home about.

And the voice acting. I played through it all in English. All ~35 hours of it. And I have to say, I don't mind the voices. They do all seem to fit the characters and their tropey personalities. However the directing, my god, it's absolutely awful. I nearly found myself shouting "WHY ARE YOU PAUSING? WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING? WHY DO YOU NOT SPEAK LIKE A HUMAN BEING WOULD?" at the TV many times. My only guess is that for some of it, the pauses come between lines of subtitles on the screen so it'll be like X where instead of altering the scene to fit the recorded voices they just altered the recorded voices to fit the scene. But that doesn't cover all of it. Some parts are just awkward. Also, Nine's mannerisms are definitely a case of something better read than heard.

I'd like to go through it again to get what I've missed, but to be honest I've had Bloodborne for a few days and I've been holding off on playing it because I wanted to finish this. Now it's done it'll just be another fancy steelbook on the shelf, at least for a while.

P.S. the Final Fantasy XV demo is great.

see5harp

Man this game has some of the most random and stilted story sequences. Like a cut to 2 characters they haven't even properly introduced for one line then a cut to prerendered and then a cut to some of the most ghetto pap models for a single line. Sorta glad I didn't buy this thing.

Man this game has some of the most random and stilted story sequences. Like a cut to 2 characters they haven't even properly introduced for one line then a cut to prerendered and then a cut to some of the most ghetto pap models for a single line. Sorta glad I didn't buy this thing.

It seemed pretty awkward. Glad I skipped them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The story in this game is awful. I was expecting something like Crisis Core, where you take on missions with meaningful character developing side stories in between. Why on earth did they make fourteen playable characters if they can hardly develop even two of them?

Clawww

The story in this game is awful. I was expecting something like Crisis Core, where you take on missions with meaningful character developing side stories in between. Why on earth did they make fourteen playable characters if they can hardly develop even two of them?

yeah, really strange choice. this game is full of questionable design decisions. still enjoying it, but that's because I'm very forgiving

I like the playable character count. It wouldn't be the same otherwise, the team as a whole is very important.

Are some quests meant for second playthroughs? I came across a few quests that require doing expert trials and I'm level 20 (expert trials are 36+).

Are some quests meant for second playthroughs? I came across a few quests that require doing expert trials and I'm level 20 (expert trials are 36+).

Expert Trials are meant for NG+, yes (so are all the quests that have ridiculous recommended levels for where you are in the game =P).

Joei

I'm in Chapter 5 and I really have no idea what is going on in the story. I pretty much stopped caring and just started rushing through cutscenes only to see if I can pick up on something, anything, rather than skip them. Gameplay is pretty fun and really the highlight of the game for me.

I finished it yesterday, and will be returning it to the library soon. It's not something I would want to play through a second time, but it's a pretty decent game. The camera bugged my eyes at times, though.

The final part felt unnecessary. Then again, I didn't follow the cutscenes. The entirety of Chapter 8 wasn't very fun, though.

I didn't get 100 chocobos hatched, because I ran out of time. Oh well.

I enjoyed the basic combat system, and being able to use different characters, though some of them weren't very good. I especially didn't like using Deuce and her flute. The game was too cheap, though, because its difficulty was very uneven and some of its bosses had very cheap and frustrating mechanics.

I think it took about fourteen hours.

jb1234

I ended up returning it. I just couldn't stand the writing and the entire game felt second-tier. When I have so many other games to play right now, I don't want to waste my time playing something I'm not enjoying.

Soulflarz

Banned
I ended up returning it. I just couldn't stand the writing and the entire game felt second-tier. When I have so many other games to play right now, I don't want to waste my time playing something I'm not enjoying.

Did you get to the ending? I found it subpar until the ending section.

I finished it yesterday, and will be returning it to the library soon. It's not something I would want to play through a second time, but it's a pretty decent game. The camera bugged my eyes at times, though.

The final part felt unnecessary. Then again, I didn't follow the cutscenes. The entirety of Chapter 8 wasn't very fun, though.

I didn't get 100 chocobos hatched, because I ran out of time. Oh well.

I enjoyed the basic combat system, and being able to use different characters, though some of them weren't very good. I especially didn't like using Deuce and her flute. The game was too cheap, though, because its difficulty was very uneven and some of its bosses had very cheap and frustrating mechanics.

I think it took about fourteen hours.
Yeah chapter 8 fucking sucked. If I was under leveled I would have hated it. Making the player face enemies that can one shot you is really not fun. And as you said, some bosses really sucked. Chapter 3 and 7 comes to mind. It blows my mind that a boss can move around the arena much faster than the player and shoot projectiles that will kill you incredibly quickly.

At least the platinum was easy. However, I'm not playing this game anymore.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah chapter 8 fucking sucked. If I was under leveled I would have hated it. Making the player face enemies that can one shot you is really not fun. And as you said, some bosses really sucked. Chapter 3 and 7 comes to mind. It blows my mind that a boss can move around the arena much faster than the player and shoot projectiles that will kill you incredibly quickly.

Oddly enough, I found none of the game hard (only did officer), and what I did of NG+ wasnt hard either.
But...I cant get a platinum :/ I didnt like the combat enough. I just youtubed the hour or so of extras :p

Teknoman

Anyone else feel like this could have been right at home on the PS1 in Square's super experimental phase? I mean that in a good way.

creid

Anyone have a list handy of how many missions there are per chapter (in spoiler tags?) Need to budget my time this week, and normally I'd check a walkthrough but I can't find any that cover past chapter 2.

Anyone have a list handy of how many missions there are per chapter (in spoiler tags?) Need to budget my time this week, and normally I'd check a walkthrough but I can't find any that cover past chapter 2.

Missions are long, but there are not that many in each chapter. The amount also decreases as the game goes on I think.

Around 3 more or less per chapter? I'd love to give a correct listing, but I don't know exactly either, sorry =X

anddo0

On the right difficulty? Not sure if Rubicante is one of them, but most Eidolons need yout play in Officer or higher. Quite a few even need Agito difficulty.

Officer all six tries. I'm trying an easier level now.
I wonder if I need to get a higher rank on the mission?

Yeah, it was hard to lock onto and hit some of the bosses. The one that floated around the arena was the worst.

Perhaps I was underleveled throughout the game, though. I think I finished at level 28.

Some of the bosses had such split-second hit opportunities that it was sometimes difficult to get near them or get a shot away before the yellow circle disappeared.

I think this is a good game, but it's really flawed. The best I'd give it would be a 7/10, but I'm more along the lines of a 6.5/10.

EDIT: Changed my mind and decided on a 6/10.

Just hit the 9 hour mark, and I feel pretty confident saying that this game is atrocious. The camera, voice acting, story, mission design, basic UI decisions, amount of work and thought put into the remaster - all just laughable. The combat is occasionally competent - and only competent, nothing more - but it's more often ruined by the motion blur, cheap 1 hit kills, terrible party AI, and total lack of variety. The mix of combat styles is nice and the multi-character system is an interesting idea that could be fun in a better game, but I literally have nothing else positive to say about this turd. Just fuck-awful.

Reached the point in the game in which Im dying to finish, also my levels are so unbalanced, Eight is close to level 50, Ace is in the mid 40's, Trey is at 40, everyone else is like close to 27. Only reason Eight is so high is the weapon that doubles EXP, and Ace too, which I was rushing to quickly get in chp 7. Anyway, now that that is done I hope to finish the game this week (playthrough 1) then return to playthrough 2 later this season.

Covering the Cadets seems to be the best leveling mission, the other missions just take way too long with all their intermediate parts or are filled with those time sensitive moments .

I think the story is pretty awesome though,
the cutscene with Alexander Eidolon, WOW and Kurasame and Lady Cutena :(

KTO

Just got the platinum, although i only feel like i played about a little over half the game. It's kinda disappointing that there is such dissonance between the trophies and actual game completion, so much so that we shall see if I keep going. I don't think I really enjoy it enough to continue much beyond the point i'm at. Back to FFXIV for now i guess.

Just got the platinum, although i only feel like i played about a little over half the game. It's kinda disappointing that there is such dissonance between the trophies and actual game completion, so much so that we shall see if I keep going. I don't think I really enjoy it enough to continue much beyond the point i'm at. Back to FFXIV for now i guess.
If you've only played through the game once that really only counts as a little over half in my opinion. If you enjoyed the story and or gameplay I implore you to go through a second time to get the full story and play the Code Crimson missions and expert trials.

Cornbread78

Finally made it the chp. 5, but had to skip through almost two days. Some of these side missions are such a waste of time, aarrgghh.

Toth

Beat this roday, playing on Officer.

Really did not like it. I'm not sure why it ever got the title of the "good" Final Fantasy. Thought even XIII was better.

I have to agree alas. A very solid 8/10 game for me (very fun but limited) and a great reminder that you should be VERY careful of reviews that call this game better than XIII.

For all the complaining about the datalog of XIII, Type-O is far more disjointed and confusing in its story presentation, even with the robust datalog / Rubeus system. Great world and interesting characters, though.

Finally made it the chp. 5, but had to skip through almost two days. Some of these side missions are such a waste of time, aarrgghh.

I usually do any of the ones that give cutscenes since I like it when the other characters get a chance to speak. I wish they gave more Eight and less to Nine-hey :( I dislike hearing Nine in every single cutscene hes in.

It's strange, I'm finding myself liking Machina the more I play. I think he's a sympathetic character, and he does the best he can given the circumstances.

A big problem with his character is that outside of some optional cutscenes early on, we're never given a chance or a reason to like him. There's very little endearing about him in the main story. So most people's first strong impression of him comes from when the combative aspects of his personality come out as things get dramatic a few chapters in. At that point, most haven't felt a connection to him, so all they see is a jerk screwing things up.

I finished my first play through a few days ago, and I still really enjoy the game. It's fun noticing the differences and similarities between the fan translation and the official one, and seeing what names SE ended up using. I feel like Sice's NPC dialog is excellently-written, way better than our work. Nine's is great too (there's some great rhyming stuff in the last chapter), but the constant use of "hey" really drags him down.

Geg

I wouldn't say he does the best he can, but he does at least react realistically, if not a bit dramatically, to the situation he finds himself in

Just beat the game, took me 52 hours, which is way more than I was expecting, but man, that game was actually really fun! I would be lying if I said that I didn't buy the game mainly for the XV demo, but I'm glad I actually played it.

I hope they make the sequel specifically for consoles, I would love to see the Type-0 world with current gen graphics.

KTO

If you've only played through the game once that really only counts as a little over half in my opinion. If you enjoyed the story and or gameplay I implore you to go through a second time to get the full story and play the Code Crimson missions and expert trials.

I was on chapter 7 2nd playthrough when the trophy popped. Its a little anticlimactic that the final trophy for most people will be the shoot 50 enemies with the setzer trophy.

Pretty bad idea to start this after beating Bloodborne.

I want to like this so bad, but my god, the camera. The camera is just atrocious. I really thought I was reading hyperbole on here regarding the camera impressions, but yikes, every word is true. It's the worst.

Characters seem interesting enough, but the battle system feels bland and boring, especially coming off Bloodborne. I can't see myself enjoying this for 40+ hours.

Music is nice, at least.

Roughly how far am I through the game? I JUST started Chapter 6.
Last part of Chapter 5, I killed a L'cie using Bahamut Zero or whatever.
And how necessary is it to play through the game a second time to get the full story? With a rather large backlog, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that. Maybe I can just watch the extra scenes on youtube or something if I need it to get the full story.

Top Bottom