• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

The scale of this game makes it more impressive when speaking about the graphics, which is why I can't wait to see the full game.

Anyway I beat the demo and played through a lot of it again with a better hang for the controls. Camera is iffy, manageable at best, hopefully can be improved.

Everything else is really great to me.

Netto-kun

SOLDIER said:
Not sure any of these are the ones I used. I have a PSP 3000 and I installed a 635 PRO-B Updater into the memory stick. The program doesn't permanently homebrew the PSP and instead has to be "activated" each time I turn the system on/off.

What I want is a 639 equivalent, if one exists.
I went through the first post in that thread, downloaded 6.39 PRO-B9 BETA (running PSP-3000) from here, installed the firmware, and it ran completely fine. *shrug*

Famassu

The beginning was kinda brutal with soldiers burning and chocobos being shot, didn't quite expect that kind of brutality so early on.

From the characters I tested so far, Ace was my favorite. Neat little zero-shift dodge and I liked his card attacks a lot. Didn't like Rem or Scyche-girl that much.

And yeah, the lock-on could be kinda iffy, but I found it didn't really make playing this unmanageable, just requires some time to get used to.

duckroll

I beat the first mission. That was not a very good first impression. Some thoughts:

- Camera is horrible. It's basically borderline unplayable at times. Not an exaggeration. L and R not panning the camera left and right is really bad, but the game uses so many buttons they don't really have any other choice. Awful.

- The combat is really weird. What I recommend would be to try out every character in the training mission first to get a feel of how different they play. Their weapons are all different, and the timing and general feel is so varied that it actually makes it confusing and painful to just jump in and play.

- Having to hold R to lock-on and get the Kill/Break Sights is really hurting my hand. I should probably change the control scheme to on/off Lock-on and see if that helps.

- Magic seems to take a bit too long to charge up, considering how hectic the battles are. The combat abilities also seem to be really varied and weird, in ways where the application isn't immediately clear. Run through the tutorial mission to try out attacks before tackling the actual story mission.

- The simulated "multiplayer" mode is awful. I'm definitely turning it off for good, because it's really dumb to have random people joining my party replacing the AI characters and preventing me from swapping characters easily. It feels really, really bad.

Still downloading, only 5 minutes left; suprised it was only 335 MB. Thought it would be over 1 GB.

Concerning the camera, is it MH annoying or worse then that?

Don

Just started the second mission with Bahamut flying around in the rain and lots of airships in the sky.

This music currently playing is amazing.

duckroll

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Still downloading, only 5 minutes left; suprised it was only 335 MB. Thought it would be over 1 GB.

Concerning the camera, is it MH annoying or worse then that?

It's kinda like playing Ninja Gaiden with your right analog stick ripped out of the controller. Try that.

SOLDIER

Can anyone tell me how to install this onto my PSP 3000? It's been a while, and I want to make sure the folders all go where they're supposed to.

Skilletor

kiryogi said:
I was wondering this. I don't think ill be personally that wowed about the visuals. Don't get me wrong, T3B looks amazing. But im getting the impression that a lot of folks here didn't play T3B. Guess its more like its neat but not first time amazing kinda wow I'm seeing here.

I played T3B. I think this destroys it. Visuals might be similar but art direction in this game is Wow.

Aeana

Really, really hating that the camp menu doesn't pause the action, even with multiplayer mode completely disabled.

And that there is a "pause" menu option that just pauses the game.

duckroll

Skilletor said:
I played T3B. I think this destroys it. Visuals might be similar but art direction in this game is Wow.

I dunno about that. I walked right into a car on the map. Complete clipping, zero collision detection. Then the car exploded with me clipped inside it when the boss fired a missile at me. Instead of looking impressive, it looked hilarious.

LOL, I had to use Media Go to transfer it because I'm using 6.39 with CFW PRO-B8.

Well, it works. BUMP OF CHICKEN and all.

Notable: I believe this is the first product of any kind named Final Fantasy where there is blood actually shown on screen. No other Final Fantasy actually shows blood splashes of any kind anywhere, as I recall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Getting screwed by the camera happens more often than not inside the building areas. Couldn't even get around the behemoth :/

Other than some camera foibles, this game is simply amazing.

Guest function has questionable usability, though I can imagine it being pretty freaking cool with actual ad hoc players.

After about 10 minutes, I've gotten on-point with the control scheme. I do agree that magic takes a bit too long to charge, but a minor shift in playstyle balanced that out well.

Hype++;

duckroll

I think it's pretty hilarious that instead of pausing the game when you press start, the start menu actually has a "pause" option on the menu itself to actually completely pause the game. LOL. This game is really so janky.

Cheska

Dang, some of the missions are no joke. Although I think that has more to do with the fact I'm still learning the game.

Nine is my favorite character so far, although I'm looking forward to playing around with some of the others a little more.

EDIT: They just have to localize this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
duckroll said:
It's kinda like playing Ninja Gaiden with your right analog stick ripped out of the controller. Try that.
I'd say that's kind of accurate... er, not as much hyperbole, but I'd kill for a right stick about now. The camera is really terrible.

I dislike that just pulling up the menu doesn't pause the gameplay either.

It's an extremely pretty game, but those are my two biggest gripes so far.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
Wow... This is possibly one of the most off putting remarks I've ever heard.

Kyon

Banned
duckroll said:
I think it's pretty hilarious that instead of pausing the game when you press start, the start menu actually has a "pause" option on the menu itself to actually completely pause the game. LOL. This game is really so janky.
it's like MH actually lol

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
I'd feared this. I'm putting all my hope on a PSV version at this point.

Thanks for the impressions too.

Oh yeah, I do agree that a right analog stick would cure a number of ails.

I've played so many games that don't pause that I was kind of expecting this.

xion4360

Unknown Soldier said:
Notable: I believe this is the first product of any kind named Final Fantasy where there is blood actually shown on screen. No other Final Fantasy actually shows blood splashes of any kind anywhere, as I recall.

Not Entirely true...there was a little blood in 7, 8 and 9

But as far as in-game consistently yes I guess it is, along with Versus

Skilletor

I never used the right analog in ninja gaiden. I always centered the camera behind ryu. I'm adopting that habit with this game and not having troubles. Except for with the skating summon. That was really silly.

Amir0x

Banned
ugh sounds bad so far based on impressed

that'll learn me to anticipate something from the fuckin' Crisis Core team

So after playing another mission and I think finally figuring all this stuff out, because once again, no japanese. I'd still say it's good. But it's also really hard to tell or conclude anything because it's just a demo, I don't know what's missing or what will (or can) be different.

Overall I like it, but it's probably not the perfection people were hoping. Mostly the main thing that bothers me is the lack of a second stick. Any other complaints I'll chalk up to the fact that it's just a demo. I think it's already good, has potential to be great once I see the full thing and understand what's going on.

xion4360 said:
Not Entirely true...there was blood in the FF8 intro and in FF7 even

But as far as in-game consistently yes I guess it is, along with Versus

I think all there was in FF8's intro was the scar getting made. As for FF7, I seem to recall the trail of blood on the ground when you escape from Shinra HQ.

But yeah, this game actually shows people getting attacked and blood splashing when that happens. There's actually a lot of blood, something that I noticed right away that's never been in this franchise before.

Teknoman

Lindsay said:
This is a button masher and not turn based?

I think I'll give it a try since outside of VII no other normal FF games did anything for me! My JP account is dead so I gotta wait until the demos on the site huh?

So the latest PS3 firmware *does* have a new feature after all!

None on either side of the spectrum? (I-VI or VIII-XIV)?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
duckroll said:
I can see the logic of considering menu management in an RPG "play time"....

Takao

Banned
This is not like my Japanese children's robot RPG, I can't understand what I'm doing here. I also dislike the camera control.

But yeah, this game is gorgeous.

Just summoned Shiva

R8IF4.jpg

Don

In that second mission most of my party was getting wiped out with one hit. I ended up playing through most of it with only King left and just dodging and shooting from a distance.

How many missions are supposed to be in the demo?

MechaX

duckroll said:

Given how terrible the camera was for all of the 3D Ninja Gaiden titles, that sure wouldn't be that drastic of a change!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Camera controls suck in a PSP game. News at 11.

The only way they made camera control "work" in something like Peace Walker was by utterly raping the intended use of the d-pad/face-buttons.

Aeana

RPG demos are universally bad, so I won't let my (very) negative experience with this dissuade me from purchasing. But I'm really not satisfied with what I've got here. Oh well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm enjoying the combat, but I feel like half the time, my attacks are doing like, no damage to enemies. Also, I spend a lot of time lying on the ground when facing large enemies.

Kyon said:
i am looking through the config and dont see where to turn online off
Why would you want to turn it off?

Top Bottom