• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 secret movie leaks, contains a bunch of SPOILERS

wmlk

Its just something everyone has to get over eventually. I did and i'm a better person for it ;_;

Yeah, I guess it's more so that all of my favourite SE games aren't FF games. I just want them to design new IPs with that approach. I just get reminded of it every now and then.

Dark_castle

It'a a bit annoying to see the Final Fantasy name attached to something so very different from the rest of the series. It's like they're moving away from convention but still have to keep the token tropes from FF.

Of all games with 'Final Fantasy' on its title, this is what you chose to use to make your point? A man in Samurai armor?

Well, my thing is more so that these games were conceived to be too different from a mainline game, but they're still under the Final Fantasy names. Some of them just feel like they should be new IPs but the usual FF baggage is kept. With that you get weird naming conventions.

I don't hold this against mainline FFs even if they are different. Most of the mainline games were conceived to be mainline games and were designed with that idea in mind.

The only spinoff game where I felt that the FF name was totally appropriate was Tactics, and that was because the tropes were important in actually defining the gameplay mechanics.

Please don't cry.

Hmmm I expected a well thought out rhetoric from you but if you're going to resort to this childish tactic, by all means. Its just ironic that the one complaining about change in a game series is telling me to "Please don't cry".

:)

Kurasame's armor is not even that different from the rest of the group, the only similarity here is that Kurasame wears a mask. It looks nothing like the armor from the trailer.

The "Fire Phoenix" doesn't even look like a Fenix to begin with, and there's most definitely nothing like that kind of architecture or armor in Suzaku.

The closest you have to that look in Type-0 is
Genbu, and that's just because they're the only ones wearing heavy armor.

Also, if you're using an example of a Katana, then it makes even less sense, because
Ace never uses a sword

The closest connection you can make here is
what Tiz and Joker talk about, where this is another world with people that may or may not be fit to become Agito. And that would then imply that this game is completely separate from any event of Type-0, and at this point, that statement is so vague that the possibility of this being the case is not any higher than this being a completely new game.

And then you add the fact that Tabata said if a Type-1 was to ever happen, it would be like the mainline series, where each game is completely disconnected from its predecessors, and the possibility of this being tied to Type-0 is even smaller.

You can discredit the possibility of Type-1 being connected to Type-0 as much as you want, and who knows, you might be right. As of now this is only pure speculation. What I'm trying to point out are how there are more similarities than you would think. That and "Not-Ace" having Ace's design.

When Zhuyu (him being a L'Cie of Suzaku) charges out to attack Nimbus, he engulfs himself in the flame wings similar to the wings that are found on the Ace in the Type 1 trailer. You can notice that the Ace in the trailer is first given something akin to a Phoenix Down by some fiery spirit, so speculating that the spirit could be the representation of the Crystal of Suzaku is not far off. Minerva in Crisis Core became a thing for example.

In the towns of Type 0, some of the NPCS actually have Japanese names. This coupled with Jack having the ability to use katanas as his choice weapon means there is a possible correlation. Plus, I don't think Square Enix made the armor design in the Type-1 Ace to cover his mouth for no reason (reminds you of Kurasame like others have agreed).

Ace not using his deck of cards could simply be a change in game design. Maybe everyone can equip different types of weapons now?

wmlk

Of all games with 'Final Fantasy' on its title, this is what you chose to use to make your point? A man in Samurai armor?

If having samurai armour means that it's an FF game, then I don't even know anymore.

It probably means that nowadays though. There's probably more from the game that invokes FF, but I'm just basing it on what I see in the trailer.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It'a a bit annoying to see the Final Fantasy name attached to something so very different from the rest of the series. It's like they're moving away from convention but still have to keep the token tropes from FF.
I would say that ship sailed in 1994 with FFVI, and obviously with VII even more.

What FF was I-V would never allow steampunk, business suits, motorcycles and guns.

You can discredit the possibility of Type-1 being connected to Type-0 as much as you want, and who knows, you might be right. As of now this is only pure speculation. What I'm trying to point out are how there are more similarities than you would think. That and "Not-Ace" having Ace's design.

When Zhuyu (him being a L'Cie of Suzaku) charges out to attack Nimbus, he engulfs himself in the flame wings similar to the wings that are found on the Ace in the Type 1 trailer. You can notice that the Ace in the trailer is first given something akin to a Phoenix Down by some fiery spirit, so speculating that the spirit could be the representation of the Crystal of Suzaku is not far off. Minerva in Crisis Core became a thing for example.

In the towns of Type 0, some of the NPCS actually have Japanese names. This coupled with Jack having the ability to use katanas as his choice weapon means there is a possible correlation. Plus, I don't think Square Enix made the armor design in the Type-1 Ace to cover his mouth for no reason (reminds you of Kurasame like others have agreed).

Ace not using his deck of cards could simply be a change in game design. Maybe everyone can equip different types of weapons now?

See,
the Zhuyu becoming a Fenix to attack Nimbus is a good argument (and why I consider the possibility of this being another world, as per Tiz/Joker)
, but everything else there is such an extreme pull
(NPCs with Japanese names? They designed the main character of a game specifically to remind us of Kurasame? C'mon.)
that this just seems much more unlikely than this being a new game.
Naora (presuming it's him) designed that kind of armor because he already said many times he likes that kind of setting, and armors like that (with a mask) are extremely common in that kind of setting.

Also, the last line makes no sense.

See,
the Zhuyu becoming a Fenix to attack Nimbus is a good argument (and why I consider the possibility of this being another world, as per Tiz/Joker)
, but everything else there is such an extreme pull
(NPCs with Japanese names? They designed the main character of a game specifically to remind us of Kurasame? C'mon.)
that this just seems much more unlikely than this being a new game.
Naora (presuming it's him) designed that kind of armor because he already said many times he likes that kind of setting, and armors like that (with a mask) are extremely common in that kind of setting.

Also, the last line makes no sense.

Kurasame is the 2nd most popular character from Type 0. Why not make a reference to him, to say like maybe Ace
is taking over his role to leading Class Zero? Or to simply bolster sales?
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2012/...ale-characters-from-the-final-fantasy-series/

The last line was a response to you complaining how Ace was using a sword. OH HE'S USING A SWORD OH NO IT CAN'T BE HIM WHERE ARE HIS CARDS

At the very least, it could be possible that Type 1 is a prequel and that was Ace's ancestor
due to the nature of Arecia's experiments.
. Or it could be a separate dimension like you imply. Iunno. \ ( ' v ' ) /

Dark_castle

If having samurai armour means that it's an FF game, then I don't even know anymore.

It probably means that nowadays though. There's probably more from the game that invokes FF, but I'm just basing it on what I see in the trailer.

What is FF game to begin with anyway. Each installment features different setting, characters, story and atmosphere.

Kurasame is the 2nd most popular character from Type 0. Why not make a reference to him, to say like maybe Ace
is taking over his role to leading Class Zero? Or to simply bolster sales?
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2012/...ale-characters-from-the-final-fantasy-series/

The last line was a response to you complaining how Ace was using a sword. OH HE'S USING A SWORD OH NO IT CAN'T BE HIM WHERE ARE HIS CARDS

At the very least, it could be possible that Type 1 is a prequel and that was Ace's ancestor
due to the nature of Arecia's experiments.
. Or it could be a separate dimension like you imply. Iunno. \ ( ' v ' ) /
Again, all of those are such extreme pulls (and Sice is the most popular Type-0 character in Japan, so Kurasame is at least the 3rd most popular... and why am I even discussing this?).

The last line makes no sense because they haven't even finished pre-production of the game to give out such a major gameplay element.

Lastly, for this to be a sequel,
they'd need way more than just an explanation for how Class Zero still exists.

Not saying it's impossible for this to be a direct sequel, but that's definitely not implied in any form here (or in any commentary from Tabata for that matter).

What is FF game to begin with anyway. Each installment features different setting, characters, story and atmosphere.

I couldn't have stated it any better. Its pretty irritating that these history revisionists act as if every Final Fantasy game have adhered to the same tried and true formula.

Can one really say with a straight face that FF VI- XIII have all been consistent in terms of aesthetics and theme?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The l'cie and fal'cie stuff in Type-0 is awesome. Way cooler power-levels and integration.
The l'cie here are so much more stronger and cooler. I think people who only played XIII are going to be surprised by what a l'cie is in this game:)

Thoraxes

The l'cie here are so much more stronger and cooler. I think people who only played XIII are going to be surprised by what a l'cie is in this game:)

Exactly. The concepts and names are usually enough to scare off people because of FNC association, when a lot of people don't realize that it's what you do with the concept that matters! Even the FNC-based stuff that will show up XV (though likely not by name according to interviews) is going to probably be just as cool.

wmlk

Yeah, that's a good and defining aspect of the series.

I just like seeing more IPs flourish into becoming their own thing, and being a completely separate thing altogether.

Like how Chrono Trigger's success didn't just give us it and CC, but also Radical Dreamers. Chrono fans are some of the most passionate bunch and there have been some incredible things created by them as well. Now, Bravely Default is seemingly becoming its own thing, too.

A lot of people wanted Lightning Returns to be its own new IP as well. Branding it as something completely new and different might not mean much, but there's always a chance of it becoming interesting.

"Nowadays?" They've been a part of the series since like... 1992 in Final Fantasy V. This just looks like it's taking something already in the series and possibly expanding upon it and centralizing it. It's a spinoff series, and we all know the links are tenuous really. But a focus on samurai shouldn't do anything to say that it's "not FF." What does it mean to be a "Final Fantasy" game and to invoke the name? I sure as hell couldn't tell you.
V_Samurai.PNG
Ff6cyanart.jpg

Ffta2-humesamurai.jpg
FFT_Samurai.jpg

FFXI-Elvaan-Samurai.jpg
Yojimbo-artwork-ffx.png

wmlk

"Nowadays?" They've been a part of the series since like... 1992 in Final Fantasy V. This just looks like it's taking something already in the series and possibly expanding upon it and centralizing it. It's a spinoff series, and we all know the links are tenuous really. But a focus on samurai shouldn't do anything to say that it's "not FF."
I understand that. But just because it's a samurai, it doesn't necessarily have to be FF and that was my point. Obviously we can infer but that wasn't the purpose.

I said nowadays because SE doesn't explore many new IPs nowadays, and everything falls under the same umbrella.

I've never argued for "what is FF", but if you read my posts I'm talking about how new IPs can be really interesting sometimes, even if every FF is different.

I understand that. But just because it's a samurai, it doesn't necessarily have to be FF and that was my point. Obviously we can infer but that wasn't the purpose.

I said nowadays because SE doesn't explore many new IPs nowadays, and everything falls under the same umbrella.

I've never argued for "what is FF", but if you read my posts I'm talking about how new IPs can be really interesting sometimes, even if every FF is different.
Sure, and yet I'm sure it'll have some FF tropes of magic, monsters and the like. That's pretty much one of the few things that actually does remotely join the series together.

I just can't really see a reason to care. We know why they do it. The brand is powerful and it gives each title a little more clout than if it were a new IP. I can't find it within myself to give a flying hoot. The "spin-offs" are often unique enough that people can internally treat them like new IPs.

I mean above you mentioned Bravely Default. In many ways BD is still like a spinoff. They could have easily slapped a FF label on it (if they had wanted). It's the planned sequel turned spiritual successor to FF: The 4 Heroes of Light, it uses a job/battle system akin to FFV, it has an FF-style story and it has a visual style reminiscent of many of the DS FFs. For Pete's sake, when people talked about it they often said things like "more like Final Fantasy than recent Final Fantasy games." Even as a new IP, the thing still couldn't escape the legacy of its heritage and its developer.

So would you be satisfied if the "Type" franchise suddenly had no association with FF? By nature of being a spinoff, sure it has to have some links to the franchise (but even "new" IPs have had those), but even so, nothing precludes it from being unique and special within its own right. The franchise name may hold it back at the beginning, but the impact of the name will dim over time.

Pandacon

I'll go ahead and avoid watching this video, I'd rather unlock in game.

I'm thinking I can assume that I need to 100% the game to get this video in the game, yes?

I'll go ahead and avoid watching this video, I'd rather unlock in game.

I'm thinking I can assume that I need to 100% the game to get this video in the game, yes?

I'd be surprised if someone already 100% the game (unless you're talking about the trophies).

I don't think the specifics to get this ending were said, but it should at least be a NG+ unlock.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Boss★Moogle;155997139 said:
Good to hear. Would be awesome if the sequel(s) were on Vita since this series was a portable one.

If they want to make it on any sort of actual scale, they won't bother with handheld devices.

This game is already being held back enough by PSP, i think it'll get pinged for that in reviews. i think a full action RPG with samurai hack and slash action and blood and magic attacks would be awesome with current generation scale. It doesn't have to be open world, i'd play it just by nature of an awesome story and characters

NateDog

If anything, I just think this means they'll try and link the Type games using this "Ace" character every time. Nothing there looks like Type 0 and it could be a different (maybe earlier) time or even different world.

Anyway on to the important question: is there a link to the music anywhere?

Just buy the OST plz. It's well worth it.

Thoraxes

So would you be satisfied if the "Type" franchise suddenly had no association with FF? By nature of being a spinoff, sure it has to have some links to the franchise (but even "new" IPs have had those), but even so, nothing precludes it from being unique and special within its own right. The franchise name may hold it back at the beginning, but the impact of the name will dim over time.

I'd be fine with that. I'd still like the FNC concepts from Type-0 to stay in though, because I thought it was interesting in that game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome, is he
Ace
right?

Lol at those wondering if it will be also on handheld.

Type-1 is already better than Type-0(other than graphics-wise since it's not a port from PSP obviously) because it's not based on an utterly wrong and despicable definition of "handheld" game("mobile" would be more fitting) like Type-0.

Rising_Hei

type-0's team is XV's team now. But it's not taking anything from it

Are you sure about this? Nomura didn't go to work exclusively to his previous team... Osaka's KH team (where he is now) is not the old KH team

So there were 3 teams

• OLD KH team (KH, KH2, Versus XIII)
  • NEW KH Team, Based on Osaka, made KH BBS and KH3DS (i think), and it's developing KH3
  • Type 0 team, which made type 0 and... Crisis core? (not so sure about this one).
Something's amiss :p unless they fused Type0 and OLD KH team

I would say that ship sailed in 1994 with FFVI, and obviously with VII even more.

What FF was I-V would never allow steampunk, business suits, motorcycles and guns.

They wanted to make the series different from Dragon Quest, and they did this step by step
FFIV already had some sci-fi component to it ;), it also had a radical different gameplay than FFIII .. and storytelling

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to skip spoilers by searching the topic for an answer. What are the requirements to unlock this secret movie? No spoilers possibly please.

Shauni

Sorry to ask this but I'm trying to skip spoilers by searching the topic for an answer. What are the requirements to unlock this secret movie? No spoilers possibly please.

I don't think it's actually widely known yet. The person who unloaded this didn't give any details.

EDIT: Or just beat the game, apparently?

KupoNut

Really hope the Type-0 games each have their own worlds and characters similar to mainline FFs. It would be extremely cool if each time they
carried over one of the characters from the previous Type game, like Ace, maybe even give him amnesia, or a new soul but just keep his character design. Would also explain why the Type series started at 0, because that one didn't have such character.

CamHostage

I don't see how could this steal resources from XV, OLD KH's team and Type-0's team are different teams

Square is always shifting teams around, so as some replies have said, we don't know for sure which teams are which and what size they all are. Either way, I don't see it stealing resources from XV either.

Actually, I would imagine the next Type would be a chance for a new director to step up under Tabata's tutelage, as this is a rebuilding time for Square and they'd want to establish a bullpen of talent.

(And side note: there's a little bit of an over-assumption in what "teams" mean in Japanese studios, as there is something of a production committee approach there where a similar group of talent may often be assigned to the same set of producer/directors of the same franchises but for most of those staffers their "job" is probably not described as 'Team X', they're more pooled talent for the company at large. I'm not sure that's too different from most American or European studios either that have multiple projects going at a time, though I do assume when redundancies come around that pink slips are easier to parse out along "team" lines, and also when a studio spins off a portable team that that team really is a separate team with only that team's resources and input because portables get no respect, no respect at all.)

One option for future FF Type games might be outside development. Hexadrive reprogrammed this FF, maybe they might get the job and Square Enix would handle design/direction, which is pretty common practice. I don't know that this engine is a great foundation for future sequels (elements of FFT0 HD are pretty simplistic, though that could just be from retooling PSP assets, and the engine might be capable of more) or if Hexadrive is a studio large enough to handle a real "next-gen quality" FF (future games would have to face the graphical bar raised by XV,) but outsourcing makes sense as an option.

Top Bottom