• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

demonkaze said:
Was hoping my copy would come before Tuesday, GAME are normally good with that but it's Saturday now and it's still only picking and packing. Won't be using GAME anymore thats for sure, had problems with Bad Company 2 also.

GAME in Australia is awesome. Package always arrives the day after I order it or day 1 of release, without fail :lol

duckroll

Rez said:
the actual mechanical side of this game (simplified leveling up system/stats, paradigm shifts etc) just sounds like so much fun to me.

I'm worried I'll be driven mad by the lack of freedom that is supposedly denied to me in the first 10-20 hours, though.

It's not really like that though. I think a better way to explain it would be to say that the game doesn't really have much "freedom" like one would think of in a larger sense, but you always have freedom within the constrains of what you're going through at that moment. Think of it like playing a SRPG, or a mission based RPG. The game is very well paced in terms of having almost no "down time" and once you're actually playing the game if you enjoy the mechanics enough you'll be kept busy enough not to worry about the lack of certain staples in the genre.

Peff

Rez said:
the actual mechanical side of this game (simplified leveling up system/stats, paradigm shifts etc) just sounds like so much fun to me.

I'm worried I'll be driven mad by the lack of freedom in party makeup and battle options that is supposedly denied to me in the first 10-20 hours, though.

Actually I think it was mixed-up pretty well. You're constantly unlocking new stuff the first several hours and visiting pretty different places, which keeps things fresh. The battle system, even early on, it's a lot of fun, though the game starts a bit too easy until the later chapters.

Llyranor

duckroll said:
It's not really like that though. I think a better way to explain it would be to say that the game doesn't really have much "freedom" like one would think of in a larger sense, but you always have freedom within the constrains of what you're going through at that moment. Think of it like playing a SRPG, or a mission based RPG. The game is very well paced in terms of having almost no "down time" and once you're actually playing the game if you enjoy the mechanics enough you'll be kept busy enough not to worry about the lack of certain staples in the genre.
Heh, I might actually prefer it this way if it keeps the pacing brisk. I'm only here for the combat mechanics.

Raist said:
Looking at the review scores...
mc9dlu.gif

Ok, difficulty just went x3. I was in
Whitewood bio-zone, fighting last boss, Bulbasaur. OMFG, 10 minutes boss fight because I cannot use 2xRavagers at once, before I can Stagger him I need to switch to Medic and heal. Ended up doing it the hard way, managed to stagger him only once in the fight.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just seen the commercial, probably the worst RPG commercial I've ever seen. Stupid girly singing. Now, that may fit what 13 or Lightning is all about but damn it is annoying as hell. I will at least say it's the worst of any FF ad I've ever seen, maybe not the worst but I can't of any other game with as bad a commercial for the North American market.

C.T.

I play the japanese version I bought for cheap and was sceptical I'll enjoy the game. Still, after about 10 hours it grows on me. (Still hate Vanilla, she symbolises the evil of modern jrpgs, IMO) Some dialogues are cringeworthy as had been said, but the battlesystem is top notch. But I don't feel the story yet. I like the music and some backgrounds (the frozen lake) are beautiful, but why is it such a huge departure from the FF formula? I liked the open world exploration aspect of FF :( What doesn't help is, that I'm playing on a SD tv, kanji are blurry, small and hard to read.

nny

I love the feeling of a new FF coming very very soon. Can't wait to dig in.

amazon said:
Dispatch Estimate: 8 Mar 2010

Delivery Estimate: 11 Mar 2010 - 17 Mar 2010

aaaaah; come on.

getting a bit worried the CE will be sold out before it drops to a more reasonable price point (= not 170% more expensive than the standard version...), don't want to pay £60/80€ (especially if it's considered to be a bad entry in the series) but some shops are already out of stock :/

(yeah, I could just buy the standard version but I'm a sucker for CEs of games I want, plus I want the classic box-cover + the OST)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Raist said:
Looking at the review scores... is that the lowest scoring FF game ever?

Not that it matters, but Final Fantasy I-III have the lowest metacritic scores of the main line series (for obvious reasons). I think this game will be closer to FFV in terms of reception. Albeit you flip flop the story for game play.

2San

miladesn said:
who cares, it's not like FF games come out every year, it's a must buy anyway.
This is the arrogance I dislike. How is it a must buy? This the month where, GoW3, Yakuza3, Battlefield BC2, is coming. It probably isn't even highest rated rpg of the month. It Japan Resonance of Fate was better received then FF13. Likwise with Infinite Space.

2San said:
This is the arrogance I dislike. How is it a must buy? This the month where, GoW3, Yakuza3, Battlefield BC2, is coming. It probably isn't even highest rated rpg of the month. It Japan Resonance of Fate got more favorable reviews then FF13. On the DS Infinite Space had more favorable reviews.

Because it is a FF game. Sorry, there is no arrogance here. I can still remember the day I had food poisoning, because it was the day I got FFVIII for PC. It is a series, like it or not, that lasted for 25 years now. You can complain about it, but for me this is something to be experienced. Kinda like Star Wars - I knew Ep. I is going to blow, I still went and saw the movie. Because it's Star Wars. Same thing applies to FF.

It's not really fanboyism or blind devotion, I simply think FF games always did things differently than the majority of jRPGs. That spark of brilliance I got in FFX and FFXII I only experienced with Persona 3 & 4. I believe Megaten is the only jRPG franchise that can compete with FF, unfortunately Atlus doesn't have so much money for gorgeous CGI.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Considering that both characters
have their full names listed
on the OP and official site, the fact that
Fang and Vanille are related in some form
isn't supposed to be any sort of in-game revelation, right?

RedAssedApe

Banned
2San said:
This is the arrogance I dislike. How is it a must buy? This the month where, GoW3, Yakuza3, Battlefield BC2, is coming. It probably isn't even highest rated rpg of the month. It Japan Resonance of Fate was better received then FF13. Likwise with Infinite Space.

To be honest, if you're an RPG fan I don't think you're going to skip FF13 for any of those games you've mentioned. I think most people will take into consideration their past experience with the series and give it a shot on that alone regardless of some of the more mediocre reviews out there.

Personally I think Yakuza 3 is going to bomb. :lol

Durante

2San said:
It probably isn't even highest rated rpg of the month. It Japan Resonance of Fate was better received then FF13. Likwise with Infinite Space.
I don't really want to have this discussion, but I have to ask: what metric of reception are you using that leads you to this conclusion?

2San said:
I fail to see how any of those games detracts from a FF game.

Yakuza 3-Not worth $60. way to late to be asking that price.
Battlefield BC2-All the demo told me is this that this is way more BFBC.
GoW3-lol
Fate-Tri Ace deserves a wait and see stance.

Mandoric

Banned
henhowc said:
Amazon.co.jp reviews probably? :lol

But Amazon.jp reviews are a great judge of game popularity in Japan! After all, we all know Modern Warfare 2 outsold Dragon Quest 9, but Burning Impregnation Breast Exam ~Everyone Creampies their High School Best Friend During a Checkup~ destroyed both in the charts and critical opinion.

N30RYU

I've read the "Keep all console comparison discussion IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD." posted this, clicked the link and closed this thread.

2San

Castor Krieg said:
Because it is a FF game. Sorry, there is no arrogance here. I can still remember the day I had food poisoning, because it was the day I got FFVIII for PC. It is a series, like it or not, that lasted for 25 years now. You can complain about it, but for me this is something to be experienced. Kinda like Star Wars - I knew Ep. I is going to blow, I still went and saw the movie. Because it's Star Wars. Same thing applies to FF.

It's not really fanboyism or blind devotion, I simply think FF games always did things differently than the majority of jRPGs. That spark of brilliance I got in FFX and FFXII I only experienced with Persona 3 & 4. I believe Megaten is the only jRPG franchise that can compete with FF, unfortunately Atlus doesn't have so much money for gorgeous CGI.
Yeah, but not everyone is rich have money to blow. I'm just saying just because it's called Final Fantasy # doesn't make it a must buy. I'm just saying it might not be worth your money as there are a lot more options out there.

So you are saying with Star wars even if it wasn't good you'd still go, I on other hand would actually go as well, since going to the movies is dirt cheap anyhow. However when talking about $60 purchase, it's a different story and with a gaming month like this I'd say money is spent better else where. Remember I never said Final Fantasy XIII was bad.
Yeah and FFX/FFXII where positively received by people and reviewers mind you.
henhowc said:
To be honest, if you're an RPG fan I don't think you're going to skip FF13 for any of those games you've mentioned. I think most people will take into consideration their past experience with the series and give it a shot on that alone regardless of some of the more mediocre reviews out there.

Personally I think Yakuza 3 is going to bomb. :lol
Again so you overlook other possibly better games just because it isn't a Final Fantasy?
Durante said:
I don't really want to have this discussion, but I have to ask: what metric of reception are you using that leads you to this conclusion?
There's no metric, all from user impressions. I don't see how this any different as to why you think it's worth it? Remember I never said FFXIII was worse as a fact.

Rahxephon91 said:

GoW3-lol
Thank you for your expert opinion. I'll take it into consideration next time I buy a game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rahxephon91 said:

GoW3-lol
Agree on everything except BFBC2 and GoW3. GoW3 may outsell FF13 WW. BF is awesome online.

dramatis

Castor Krieg said:

I'd say you're currently still in the honeymoon period. The first 20 hours of the game are actually fine, they're the rush when it comes to combat. After 30-35 hours you just want the game to end.

By placing FF on some pedestal and holding it to a different set of truths is exactly why this game hasn't been rated lower. It is arrogance. If it were an original IP, yet the exact same game, you can bet people would had bashed it to bits for its tunnel vision. It's stupid to set FF above other games when it comes to evaluation—I experienced the same enthrall for a different FF game but with a series that changes every iteration it's hardly something to hold for all other installments. Can you consider every installment a polished and good game in its own right? Yes. But there are equally polished and even better games out there. The spark of brilliance does not belong to the franchise, it belongs to individual games. "Doing things differently" applies to every game, because developers strive to differentiate from the pack.

Say Demon's Souls and FF13 came out in the same month, and you can only buy one. It's possible that FF13 may appeal more to you personally, but let's just say you're evaluating this from perspective of "better game". Can you honestly say you'll buy FF13 over DS because it's an FF? If that's the case, then what you do have is indeed blind devotion.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I know nothing of this game, and the only Final Fantasy game I've beaten was the tenth one.
Can anyone give me a quick and fanboy free opinion on what I should expect and if they think I'd like it? Because this game is looking quite nice.

I've never really got into turn based RPGs (If it's that) but I won't shy away just because of that. I'm expecting more of a grand adventure with this game. Is that what I'm getting? I want it, but i'm afraid to just throw money around at this current time. =(

2San said:
Thank you for your expert opinion. I'll take it into consideration next time I buy a game.
Do try and maybe you wont waste money anymore. Besides none of the games you listed provide the kind of experience that a FF does.
Agree on everything except BFBC2 and GoW3. GoW3 may outsell FF13 WW. BF is awesome online.
Well maybe BC2 is fun online ,but it still isn't doing the awesome things the BF2 did years ago. When I want to play BF online, I'll just sit down on my pc.

As for GoW3. Well I tried the demo and I was meet with some of the worst and sluggish gameplay in a supposedly AAA action game ever. I don't remember 1 or 2 feeling this bad. On top of that Kratos is one of the worst game characters ever and in these games a good character is kind of a must.

ACE 1991

Although the metacore (I know, hate me) initially shocked me, the more I actually read the damn reviews the more I realize that the complaints made against this game are simply things that don't bother me. The linearity is perfectly okay with me; I've never been one to really do sidequests and explore the world with games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

Erasus

Rahxephon91 said:
When I want to play BF online, I'll just sit down on my pc.

So do I, playing BF:BC2 :lol

This month I am getting both FFXIII and BF:BC2^^ Probably wont afford much next month, but that wont matter

Wazzim

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
I know nothing of this game, and the only Final Fantasy game I've beaten was the tenth one.
Can anyone give me a quick and fanboy free opinion on what I should expect and if they think I'd like it? Because this game is looking quite nice.

I've never really got into turn based RPGs (If it's that) but I won't shy away just because of that. I'm expecting more of a grand adventure with this game. Is that what I'm getting? I want it, but i'm afraid to just throw money around at this current time. =(
It's alot like FFX because it's linear and has some anime influences.
The combat system is a extremely fast version of the action turn based gameplay in previous games with some extra things thrown in the mix.
And it's Final Fantasy, if you like jrpg's, you just have to get it.

2San

Rahxephon91 said:
Do try and maybe you wont waste money anymore. Besides none of the games you listed provide the kind of experience that a FF does.
Well maybe BC2 is fun online ,but it still isn't doing the awesome things the BF2 did years ago. When I want to play BF online, I'll just sit down on my pc.
Ok thank you, I'm so glad I have you. It's obvious you played every game that is released and that aren't released. Just wondering what do you think of Cheer We Go! Oh infinite source of knowledge, thank you for taking time to talk to peasant like me.

The tag you have is obviously a joke, since you have incredible taste.

ACE 1991 said:
Although the metacore (I know, hate me) initially shocked me, the more I actually read the damn reviews the more I realize that the complaints made against this game are simply things that don't bother me. The linearity is perfectly okay with me; I've never been one to really do sidequests and explore the world with games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

This. 90% of the review scores come down to "Linearity is bad, give me fantasy ME!", the other 10% are from those who didn't notice tutorial ended pretty quickly. Keep jRPGs linear, keep wRPGs open-world, I don't understand why we have to do East vs. West stuff. Kitase is not helping, moron.

Anyway, 10hrs in and having a blast.

Vanille

Fuu said:
Considering that both characters
have their full names listed
on the OP and official site, the fact that
Fang and Vanille are related in some form
isn't supposed to be any sort of in-game revelation, right?

Actually, it's a pretty big revelation.

Durante

2San said:
There's no metric, all from user impressions. I don't see how this any different as to why you think it's worth it? Remember I never said FFXIII was worse as a fact.
Well, I've played 11 hours now and I think it is :p

zoukka

Castor Krieg said:
This. 90% of the review scores come down to "Linearity is bad, give me fantasy ME!"

Actually most of the critical reviews also mention bad pacing and characters as a con.

FHIZ

I don't see whats wrong with a linear game. Its like a while ago, lots of games were penalized (by stupid people and fanboys) for not having multiplayer. Would Oblivion really benefit from multiplayer? I mean, really? Now in the world of big mass open games EVERYTHING needs to be completely driven by freedom. You know what I say?

Fuck that.

I'm glad the game is more linear. Balancing college and a job, I don't have enough time to navigate my way through every little bit of the game world just so I get the best upgrades or whatever. Thats why I didn't get into Dragon Age, I just didn't have enough time to invest in it.

Thumbs up for linear gameplay!

2San

Durante said:
Well, I've played 11 hours now and I think it is :p
Still you haven't played the other games have you? I'm just saying it's not weird to make purchase decisions on reviews or user impression. Since for the most of us it's impossible to play all the games available. At least to me it makes more sense then going on a title name.

What worries me is what I've read in the Wired review. "Final Fantasy XIII ramps up achingly slowly, only giving you two characters at first, and limiting the roles and characters you can use. For much of the time, you’re just watching the game play itself. For the first half of the game, using the roles that you’ve been given to obliterate anything that comes your way requires less strategy than beating a toddler at Connect Four."

Plot linearity isn't a problem, but lack of character customization and patronizingly easy difficulty might be. The stat caps and ranking are a good step forward, but it seems like they made the difficulty and complexity low early on to compensate for not being able to grind.. at least until the stat caps are later lifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom