• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Post-Game Impressions

Shouta

ColdSoup said:
I have a question for the people who have finished the game. Who is your favorite character and why? What made you like that particular character?

Definitely Sazh. He's definitely the most intelligent member of the group as he often knows quite a lot of information about the world around and acts as someone who grounds the rest of the loons in the party. Yet at the same time, he has own troubles and real feelings about it. Of all the characters, I feel like his stake in all this is the most personal. My only beef would be his stance in battle is totally awful but he has a really cute Chocobo living in his hair, which totally makes up for it.

After beating the game and logging in around 50 some odd hours into the game, I think I can give my final post-game impressions.

I'll start off with something my wife told me about the game after she beat it.

"If Overdrift was an RPG, this (FFXIII) would be it."

As wacky as that sounds, it's rather fitting. FFXIII, like the video she's relating to, is very balls to the wall giving you essentially what you need with hardly any filler in-between. It really does throw out a lot of typical RPG conventions in order to convey its story to the player, but even with its shortcomings, it does have standout experiences.

Battle System

Wow, do I love the battle system in this game. Quick, fast, and in a hurry, the FFXIII battle system is one of my favorites ever. Kind of like an FFX/FFX-2/FFXII/Crisis Core hybrid on crack, FFXIII's is really fast paced and is non-stop. Thanks to the lack of MP and regaining of health after every battle, each one can be taken at full force. This does not necessarily mean you'll have a cake walk with each one, but it's one of the streamlined things I liked about it. Enemies hit back hard and one mishap will have you seeing the “Game Over” screen, so you do have to keep on your toes throughout the game. The system of course is definitely not without its mishaps.

Auto attack is nice to have considering the speed of the battles, but I can see how people will see it as being over reliant on it as it dynamically picks what the system thinks is the best course of action. If you were able to make preset attacks on top of auto attack, I think that would have worked nicely.

I do think the Optima system works wonderfully as it adds a strategic mix to the way you approach enemies, although it truly becomes more apparent as you fight harder enemies. Every character feels different in their specific roles, which helps lend to proper strategies depending on the enemy you’re facing.

Thanks to the break bar that sends enemies into a vulnerable state of taking heavy damage more so than usual and the ranking system that rates you on how fast you dispatched the enemy, this battle system leans toward a lot of risk vs reward, especially with harder enemies. You can either play safe by taking precautionary measures against an enemy while whittling down his health or you can forgo your defense and aim to break the enemy as soon as possible. It’s a fun dynamic while battling and the Optima system works well in this environment.

The AI works wonderfully most of the time, but when looking for something specific like haste, the computer will run through the entire buff list before issuing the proper command. Again, I think something like a gambit to maximize spell priority would help.

The summons do their job and are well integrated into the system. They’re pretty much the limit breaks of the game and add a nice dynamic to the table that was built upon by FFX.

Music and Sounds

Excellent tracks from Hamauzu. A lot of it was fitting for many of the areas you visit and the character themes were rather spot-on. I did think the tracks felt they belonged more in a movie than they did in a video game, but that is probably what S-E's goal was from the get go. Aside from the main theme and battle theme, I wouldn't say they are all completely memorable, i.e. nothing on an FFIV boss theme or One Winged Angel scale.

Story

Arguably the weakest part of this game, the problem is not so much the content of the story but the structure overall. In the first half of the game you're essentially thrown into conflict that involves your characters in a fight for the survival of the world, get some back story on their recent past and why things are happening. Not a huge problem as it’s done rather well, but because it's so character driven and cramped, you sometimes lose focus on what exactly is happening overall.

The second half pretty much just goes, "alright guys... figure out what you need to do, look into your heart and save the world from something." Plus, I never had a huge feeling of impending worldy doom, which definitely would have helped the overall setting. It was somewhat reminiscent of the second half of FFXII where things just fell apart story wise.

Character interaction was good though, minus Snow moments and would have been way better if S-E opted to include the light novel stuff into the actual game. >=/ Aside from the glaring afro, Sazh was not a stereotypical black character in a JRPG… although I will hold reservations to how the English VAs work out. In fact, he is my favorite character out of the entire crew as he’s so level headed and mature about the situation, regardless of his own predicament while having a Chocobo living in his afro. :D

Pacing and Difficulty

The story itself pretty much lends to the lopsided pacing of the game. The first half can be seen as a long tutorial interspersed within a metric ton of action. The story moves fast, therefore your progression is constantly moving forward (i.e. linearity). For me, this wasn’t too much of an issue as the game reminded me of Uncharted 2, but as an RPG. The problem with the first half is that it takes to long to unlock all the battle skills available. I didn’t have an issue with the forced parties as it gave you a very good handle on how each character differed, although others will see differently. I didn’t find it too hard throughout this section and if I died, it’s because I was not using the right strategy. The drawback of the pacing in the first half is that you don't get to really breathe in the beautiful atmosphere they created, which are all different and amazing.

The second half of the game is where the “exploration” is so to speak, when you are given pretty much near full access to all the skills and whatnot. The difficulty also spikes, but because of the open environment and access to grinding, I was in heaven. Like many people have said, this game is really bipolar in its presentation. Regardless, I enjoyed the difficulty and the ability to quest it up a bit.

I’m in the camp of not really caring if there were towns or losing NPC interactivity because of the “online” shops and story pacing, but I will say there were a lot of missed opportunities for that. I do miss having some sort of gambling mini game, though. =(

Leveling, Synthing/Desynthing, Loot

Again, due to the story structure, “level caps” were in place so that you aren’t necessarily overpowered throughout the game. As a hardcore grinder, this would have made me angry, but because the action was so fast paced, I didn’t really care during the first half. There’s never really a need to grind so you can blast your way through your action packed adventure. On the second part of the game, the way the Crystarium opened up really appeased my grind happy nature, but I still was not overleveled in the least because the requirements were so high. To some, that might be a downer, but I embraced it like the Digital Devil Saga Mantra Grid. I’m going to fill the sucker up no matter how long it takes!

The Crystarium in itself is really simple. Throw in CP gained from battles and get the stats or skills you desire… which you’ll end up getting anyway. It doesn’t lend itself to customizability considering the characters are inherently different in the first place, but I do wish it gave you multiple paths of growth, i.e… Lightning should lean more towards magic versus attack. And due to the lack of other skill stats, aside from HP/ATK/MAG, the Crystarium is truly limited. CP requirements do get a little much during the end, but I love grinding so that didn’t really bring me down.

Yet one thing I think people don’t focus on too much is the weapon/accessory customization aspect of this game. This is where it fills in the gaps of the Crystarium as it can add that added layer of customizability for your character. You can essentially go through the entire game without ever doing this, but it will make your life a little harder. Also if you equip certain weapons and accessories together, you can access a chain ability is normally not available from individual accessories and weapons. For example, when you have a certain scarf and one of Lightning’s later weapons, you’ll access Lucky Break which has a small chance of immediately sending an enemy into break status regardless of how full their bar is.

Synthing and desynthing weapons and items is also useful for upgrading your characters’ individual abilities and helps if you want to focus more buffing Lightning’s MAG abilities versus her ATK for example. It’s also necessary to do this to access the characters’ ultimate weapons and making new accessories. Desynthing takes an existing accessory and breaks it down into multiple items. It’s a great way to get some extremely useful items that help a lot in the later hours of the game.

The only problem is that the synth/desynth system is only truly accessible if you’re as grind happy as me. You need a ton of materials to reach those sky high levels plus Gil… which is pretty much nonexistent outside of finding it in treasure boxes and selling loot. The “online” shops at the save points help in regards to quick accessibility, but are pretty much used as selling points considering the prices for some a lot of the items are a bit much, especially with the lack of Gil dropping from enemies… which can be considered good or bad depending on your perspective.

Post game

Additional hunts and stats are unlocked after you beat the game, which is essential in defeating many of the later monsters found in the hunts. If you're planning on clearing all of them, I don't think you'd be able to do it before you finish the game. You can probably luck out with certain skills, but absolute persistence is necessary. I’m about 80% done with the hunts, but thanks to finding some handy items which help boost my CP growth, I should be maxed out pretty soon. Let the beasting commence! I do appreciate the extreme challenge by these hunts and again it lends perfectly into my grinding obsession.

Final thoughts

FFXIII does many things right as it does wrong, but I think the game does create a solid foundation for whatever may come in the future. For me, the game is very enjoyable and is probably one of my favorite FFs because its so action packed and streamlined. The story and lack of typical RPG exploration never really took away from my enjoyment with the game and I am still finding excitement out of the game way past its completion. I’ll definitely play the heck out of the US version when it comes out as I could get more out of the auto-clip and the backstory of the FFXIII world.

Altogether, FFXIII is different… but I love it. There are a lot of run of the mill RPGs nowadays and I appreciate the changes they were willing to make with FFXIII, which clicked for me. I never had any preconceived expectations aside from what I played from the Advent Children demo and I've been satisfied.

Llyranor

Really liking the impressions, since I'm buying the game purely for the battle system, don't really care about minigames/sidequests/talking to townsfolk. As far as I'm concerned, the level cap and lack of grinding are very good things as well.

ronito

I'm sorry am I reading that right? No towns to explore, no sidequests?

Wow, that's a huge minus in my book if true.

I mean Vector, Midgard, Zanarkand were all like central characters to prior final fantasies...

I think from what I've understood, is that there are towns and people to talk to, but nothing else to really do in them. No sidequests or mini games.

7Th

ColdSoup said:
I have a question for the people who have finished the game. Who is your favorite character and why? What made you like that particular character?

I personally think they did a great job with Vanille and Fang and their, whatever you make of it, relationship. Their connection was certainly a little bit weird when it was first presented and most of their background isn't really explained in the game itself, but the characters have adorable tender moments together and a real cute banter.

In general, they really did a great job with the acting and modeling during the cut-scenes and most characters feel real natural despite the typical animu dialog.

VindicatorZ said:
I think from what I've understood, is that there are towns and people to talk to, but nothing else to really do in them. No sidequests or mini games.

The game has tons of side-quests, they just aren't doable until the second half of the game.

duckroll

ronito said:
I mean Vector, Midgard, Zanarkand were all like central characters to prior final fantasies...

I don't think anyone who plays Final Fantasy XIII will not attach the same sort of connection to Eden. :p

7Th said:
I personally think they did a great job with Vanille and Fang and their, whatever you make of it, relationship. Their connection was certainly a little bit weird when it was first presented and most of their background isn't really explained in the game itself, but the characters have adorable tender moments together and a real cute banter.

In general, they really did a great job with the acting and modeling during the cut-scenes and most characters feel real natural despite the typical animu dialog.

Notice he said he has a question for those who finished the game. Not those who pretend to know Japanese while watching streams and youtube videos. :lol

7Th said:
The game has tons of side-quests, they just aren't doable until the second half of the game.

No, it doesn't. Stop making shit up. Mob hunts in general are not side quests. There are a few quest-like mob hunts, but not that many.

7Th

duckroll said:
Notice he said he has a question for those who finished the game. Not those who pretend to know Japanese while watching streams and youtube videos. :lol

I didn't watch it on YouTube. And all of the scenes I'm talking about have been translated already. Besides, I'm playing the game right now. You really don't need to know much Japanese to do it. :O

duckroll said:
No, it doesn't. Stop making shit up. Mob hunts in general are not side quests. There are a few quest-like mob hunts, but not that many.

I just don't know what they mean by side-quests. When playing FFXII, I considered the hunts side-quests. I've always thought that's what side-quests in RPGs usually are: excuses to fight real strong enemies?

duckroll

7Th said:
I didn't watch it on YouTube. And all of the scenes I'm talking about have been translated already. Besides, I'm playing the game right now. You really don't need to know much Japanese to do it. :O

No matter how much you try to defend yourself, your opinions are still trash and worthless. Stop trying to act like you're cool. :p

7Th said:
I just don't know what they mean by side-quests. When playing FFXII, I considered the hunts side-quests. I've always thought that's what side-quests in RPGs usually are: excuses to fight real strong enemies?
Well, thanks to the pacing and situation, Lightning and crew don't have the time to search for Jimmy's lost dog, join a guild, or wash dishes in a restaurant for some maid outfits. :lol

soldat7 said:
So how does it compare to Lost Odyssey, which I couldn't stomach enough to finish?

Well, Lost Odyssey is filled to the brim with tricky dungeons with lots of levers and overlapping paths and stuff like that. AND, it has a metric fuckton of world-trotting fetch quests. AND, it has visuals that are somewhere between this gen and last gen. That sounds pretty damn different from FF XIII to me.

7Th

duckroll said:
No matter how much you try to defend yourself, your opinions are still trash and worthless. Stop trying to act like you're cool. :p

You're just being tsun-tsun. One day, I'll get to that dere-dere side of yours.

duckroll

7Th said:

._.

neoism said:
Is there a detailed bestiary??

No. In fact, I think I will add one more point which I wanted to address but forgot in my impressions. Thanks for bringing this up. FFXIII has "Enemy Reports" which are basically the stats, weaknesses, and battle attributes enemies have in combat. It is filled in either by defeating the same enemy multiple times, or casting Libra, or using a Librascope. This is very helpful for gameplay. But it adds nothing to the flavor of the world. It doesn't have the detailed enemy flavor text that FFXII did, and worse of all, for a next-gen FF, I'm disappointed that the enemies are just static stills of the 3D model in a standard pose. I really wish it was the actual model in a viewer which you can rotate, zoom, and animate the various attacks and poses with the press of a button. Stuff like this were in many other RPGs even in the PS2 era. Come on S-E! Wtf!!!

soldat7 said:
So how does it compare to Lost Odyssey, which I couldn't stomach enough to finish?
Lost Odyssey is the dullest piece of crap i ever played
FFXIII is quite different ;)

duckroll said:
._.

No. In fact, I think I will add one more point which I wanted to address but forgot in my impressions. Thanks for bringing this up. FFXIII has "Enemy Reports" which are basically the stats, weaknesses, and battle attributes enemies have in combat. It is filled in either by defeating the same enemy multiple times, or casting Libra, or using a Librascope. This is very helpful for gameplay. But it adds nothing to the flavor of the world. It doesn't have the detailed enemy flavor text that FFXII did, and worse of all, for a next-gen FF, I'm disappointed that the enemies are just static stills of the 3D model in a standard pose. I really wish it was the actual model in a viewer which you can rotate, zoom, and animate the various attacks and poses with the press of a button. Stuff like this were in many other RPGs even in the PS2 era. Come on S-E! Wtf!!!
Yeah i agree, it's pretty shit - i expected to zoom and rotate etc, even in the libra screen when you cast it on an enemy, was annoyed when i couldn't, especially considering how well done the enemy models are

neoism

Bebpo said:
Thank you sooo much in your extremely detailed descriptions on the post game and level cap, and the economy of the game, I can traitor it and play the game in a way that will give me the most enjoyment! I'm just going to blow through it, and level up enough to beat the last boss, and not watch the ending, then do all of the post-game stuff, and then go use my old save to beat it again. It looks like I will never go through it but once! I also feel the same way about side-quests! I love the feeling of being more powerful going back to the storyline! I always did everything before the last boss, but o'well! :(

neoism

duckroll said:
._.

Most disappointing thing I've read so far as disappointments go. The bestiary in FF12 was one of the most awesome things in RPG's! :( X 10000000000000

luxarific

Nork unification denier
donkey show said:
Aside from the glaring afro, Sazh was not a stereotypical black character in a JRPG… although I will hold reservations to how the English VAs work out. In fact, he is my favorite character out of the entire crew as he’s so level headed and mature about the situation, regardless of his own predicament while having a Chocobo living in his afro. :D

Question: have they announced the English VA for FFXIII yet? I'm curious as to who is going to play Sazh. Somehow I don't see Keith David doing it.

Thanks for all the detailed, yet non-spoilery, impressions everyone.

duckroll

neoism said:
Most disappointing thing I've read so far as disappointments go. The bestiary in FF12 was one of the most awesome things in RPG's! :( X 10000000000000

Yes. I love stuff like, not just in games, but also in companion books for movies, and appendices for fantasy novels, etc. I love reading about extra details for monsters and wildlife in imaginary worlds. FFXII was really good in that aspect, something the FFX team clearly needs to learn to pick up on. :)

Bebpo

Banned
I will say the linear/tubes/no towns issue that takes up most of FFXIII discussion in threads and seems to be what a lot of previews entirely focus on is completely being blown out of proportion.
The linear style of the game ranks fairly minor on the list of actual REAL problems with the gameplay or story. If the game is not amazing, it has very little to do with the linear structure they chose to use and all to do with story and gameplay choices.

And Sahz is definitely the best character in the game. Tim Rogers got that right when he said Sahz is the best because he is the most human and most relatable. He's just a normal guy in his 40s/50s stuck in this fantastical situation.

duckroll said:
Yes. I love stuff like, not just in games, but also in companion books for movies, and appendices for fantasy novels, etc. I love reading about extra details for monsters and wildlife in imaginary worlds. FFXII was really good in that aspect, something the FFX team clearly needs to learn to pick up on. :)

On the other hand the database is very in-depth and caters to people like you :p

Zilch

Banned
duckroll said:

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking, duck. :lol

duckroll

Bebpo said:
On the other hand the database is very in-depth and caters to people like you :p

I've actually read most of the database though, and it doesn't add a shitload more than we already know from the game. I don't really need a database entry to tell me what Sanctum is, because I already know. There's definitely good stuff in the database, but not nearly enough. Having a write-up on every single enemy in the game like FFXII did would add a TON to the game, seriously. There are many different divisions of PSICOM soldiers for example. While graphically they're mostly palette swaps, good flavor text on each individual different unit would definitely give the world more character. Same with all the monsters and bosses.

Rpgmonkey

So what I'm getting from you guys, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, is that it has some cool ideas, but some of them come off as incomplete or implemented into the game in a really poor or strange fashion?

WYWY

Bebpo said:
And Sahz is definitely the best character in the game. Tim Rogers got that right when he said Sahz is the best because he is the most human and most relatable. He's just a normal guy in his 40s/50s stuck in this fantastical situation.
On a related note... FFXIII-2 with Sahz as lead please. :p

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
So I finally got the Platinum trophy last night. I wanted to avoid posting impressions until I had seen and done everything the game has to offer, so I'll be writing some up soon. Is this the thread to post them in, by the way?

I've enjoyed reading other peoples' impressions and I find myself mostly agreeing with them. FFXIII is generally such a magnificent game that its flaws stand out very clearly -- like fine cracks in an otherwise flawless crystal, you might say.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Aokage said:
So I finally got the Platinum trophy last night. I wanted to avoid posting impressions until I had seen and done everything the game has to offer, so I'll be writing some up soon. Is this the thread to post them in, by the way?

I've enjoyed reading other peoples' impressions and I find myself mostly agreeing with them. FFXIII is generally such a magnificent game that its flaws stand out very clearly -- like fine cracks in an otherwise flawless crystal, you might say.
Platinum? Wow.

I'll be adding my impressions once I write them. :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Aokage said:

How many hours to platinum? Does it have a 100% platinum? As in, you can't possibly do or collect anything else.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Teetris said:
How many hours to platinum? Does it have a 100% platinum? As in, you can't possibly do or collect anything else.

The Platinum is equivalent to doing absolutely everything in the game. It requires you to five-star every Mission (even the last one), beat the
two superbosses
, synth every single weapon and accessory in the game, five-star the last boss... just about everything you can imagine. Once you have it, that's well and truly it.

It took me something like 120 hours but it might be possible by around 100, depending on your planning, and luck with rare drops.

Well I have to leave for a trip in the next few minutes so I am not able to write up anything new. I am just going to copy the impressions I wrote up in the other thread. Don't really have time to break it into categories either so deal with it. ;)

As most people already know, the battle system is the fastest and one of the most fun systems to date. I won't go as far to say that it is perfect, as there are parts that I personally feel are flawed but it is really really good. The speed of the battle system is it's primary draw. From the amount of actions you are can do in such a short span to the quickness of your AI partner's decisions it is quite obvious that they wanted it to be seamless and beautiful. And they really do succeed here. It is a fast-paced orgasmic display of colors, effects, beautiful animation, absolutely ridiculous summons. This makes me really happy, as I have always loved good effects in RPGs. FFXIII does not disappoint here, and I was really impressed with the detail they put in. Seeing individual bolts of lightning scorch parts of the battlefield as you rain Thundaga down on your foes is really invigorating to me.

As I noted, the AI is ridiculously fast. Faster than you many times. That is part of why I feel that FFXIII probably has the best AI partners of any RPG. It is important for them to be able to keep up with such a fast battle system, and the restrictive nature of the Roles really helps to make it easier.

They are still far from perfect however, and as I got more into the game I ran into times where they would just fall short. This is where one of my bigger problems with the game comes in. I really dislike most games that have AI partners, but do not give you the option of taking control of them. It does not make sense to me why I was able to control Lightning perfectly and juggle mobs like no other one minute ago, but suddenly being incapable of the same thing when another character dies. I would rather be able to switch characters in battle or at least have the option to switch when one goes down. There are already preset roles and AI setups so it should not be that hard to change in battle. It can just be really frustrating when you really need an Enhancer to cast just ONE spell on you, but they refuse to cast it until after casting 8-10 others. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to switch over temporarily. It might not be bothersome to others, but to me it is a jarring design choice. I also found that the AI seems to have no idea how to use AoE attacks or any of their high level attacks. In reality though, the majority of the game was so easy(for me at least) that I never really noticed most of these problems until doing some of the last chapters and various missions. The AI does a stand up job most of the time.

I also loved how the summons were handled in battle. I don't know if people count them as spoilers, but let me just say that they were cool :) Although Vanille's expression(especially the look in her eyes) on her final summon attack is a little ^^;

The overall presentation of the game is great. The way some of the in-game cutscenes are shot is really breathtaking and the emotions shown on the character's faces are really well done. I think someone else pointed it out also, but the eyes are really impressive. They just don't feel as dead as most game characters usually do. Part of it is because of believable movement. You can tell they put a lot of time into it. Really does feel like characters are interacting instead of just models being moved by some invisible puppet master. The CG scenes were also beautiful. There really isn't anything else to be said there.

The dungeons are a mixed bag in my opinion. The visuals and artistic design are really really well done, and the areas look absolutely beautiful. I just found them repetitive when it came to the actual level design. Even though you are going to vastly different areas there were too many times where I felt like I was just running down a straight path only sometimes branching off to short dead ends for treasure. I think there were some that were more interesting, but the majority were really boring and repetitive. The monster design however, is really well done. Honestly, it is still suffers from a lack of enemy type variety that has plagued all the recent RPGs but it does make up for it by having really well done palette swaps. And yes I do know that they are actually different models, but if I see a blue tiger once and then a yellow tiger later it is a goddamn palette swap. A really well done one maybe, but still no difference to me.

I also didn't really care for the leveling systems. I though the Crystarium was going to be more interesting, but it really is straightforward and the only choices come down to "Should I get this thing first or this other thing?" Combined with the fact that you are basically forced down a single path for your characters for a big part of the game I found it more hassle than anything else.

I felt the same way about the weapon system. I can understand why some people might like it, but to me it makes no sense. Instead of the game rewarding you with various new weapons and equipment as you go through the game you are instead forced to spend an inordinate amount of time in menus putting hundreds and hundreds of abstract trash items into weapons to level them up. I just find it completely boring and unnecessary, especially since I really like having assorted weapon models. I don't know about others, but I went through the entire game only using 2-3 different weapons per character.

I really enjoyed the music and sound design however. I find it hard to remember game music unless it is really really good, and I really enjoyed the main battle theme. The Chocobo theme was also absolutely adorable and probably one of my favorites.

The game has the best sound design of any other RPG this gen IMO. I was pretty blown away by the ambient sounds and effects that my 5.1 was putting out. I have been waiting for an RPG to blow me away like this and FFXIII finally accomplished it. I hope other developers take note. Especially in some of the later dungeons(especially chapter 12) my jaw was on the floor a lot of the time not just for the visuals but for the sound design.

As far as the story goes, well I really hated it. This is mostly because of just how godawful the dialogue was. It gets really really predictable about halfway through the game. And after finishing the game I can say that I officially hate the main story. I think it suffers from one of the things that has bothered me for a while in FFs(probably since VII although people will laugh at me for it) which is weak villains. Both main and sub-villains.

Also I have to say I really don't care for most of the characters. I did like Sazh and how some of the story sequences actually played out, but I just feel like there just wasn't enough development. I really have no idea what kind of people they are supposed to be, especially before the crazy events of the game. I have no idea why this 30 year old dudebro is in love with a 14 year old. It was probably the stupidest and worst romance of any FF. Ever. Okay so I know that Sazh is a dad and cares for his son. Is that really ground-breaking stuff? It might have been well done, especially in how good the scenes and interactions look but I still found it boring.

I will say that I really enjoyed the last few chapters though. I wanted to see more of Gran Pulse mainly because what was there was interesting. I just felt that it was really small in scope. Even though I felt the story just got worse and worse as it went on, I was pleased to see a little more interesting level design than most of the early portions of the game.

Overall I enjoyed the game but it is the most repetitive FF ever. The formula is set from the beginning as dungeon-fight-cutscene and that repeats for the majority of the game. I don't even feel that it is the linearity that is the worst problem of the game. I really have no problem with linearity in most games especially if it is done well, but my problem is that this is a very long game that has absolutely nothing to break up the pace. Chapter 11 was cool, but ultimately it is only one chapter out of thirteen. There is no variety to be found in the gameplay, and I think that this cohesiveness and detail of the world to suffer.

It is probably pretty obvious, but all of these impressions are coming from a fan who enjoys FF mainly because of the exploration and detail that the worlds usually have. If you don't give a shit about these things then you can probably ignore my ramblings. :)

george_us

donkey show said:
As wacky as that sounds, it's rather fitting. FFXIII, like the video she's relating to, is very balls to the wall giving you essentially what you need with hardly any filler in-between. It really does throw out a lot of typical RPG conventions in order to convey its story to the player, but even with its shortcomings, it does have standout experiences.

Battle System

Wow, do I love the battle system in this game. Quick, fast, and in a hurry, the FFXIII battle system is one of my favorites ever. Kind of like an FFX/FFX-2/FFXII/Crisis Core hybrid on crack, FFXIII's is really fast paced and is non-stop.
This is music to my ears. As one of the few people who are a bit disillusioned with JPRGs these days, it's like SE specifically tapped into my head and figured out what I did and didn't like about JRPGs. The only thing stopping me from importing this is my total lack of understanding of Japanese. Hype: "Kaioken!"

Haunted

No towns and side quests [+ the economic and weapon upgrade issues that seems linked to those] are huge, and I mean huge drawbacks for me. Like, almost enough to not make me want to play it because that just sounds like shit on paper.

But reading all those impressions from people who finished it and make it sound like the game still holds up despite those failings, because of its great presentation and great battle system, well, I can't very well skip out on that.

*sigh* will buy. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:
So what I'm getting from you guys, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, is that it has some cool ideas, but some of them come off as incomplete or implemented into the game in a really poor or strange fashion?

Pretty much.

Cedille

I think a decent amount of why XIII turned out so good is because it had no town. Which, coupled with little loading time issue, resulted in the least stressful game play ever since VI. As much as I loved XII, I really hated to explore Rabanastre, as we had to stand several sec loading before we entered each area, or even shop... and most NPCs didn't give us nothing but the nonsense dialogues.

The team of XIII just eliminated one of the dullest parts of JRPGs, and I really hope it'll become another standard of JPRGs.

Cedille said:
The team of XIII just eliminated one of the dullest parts of JRPGs, and I really hope it'll become another standard of JPRGs.

I hate you and everything you stand for. :(

It's like saying Chrono Trigger would be better without the Kingdom of Zeal.

duckroll

BudokaiMR2 said:

Maybe it would.

Okay, I'm sorry, I can't say that with a straight face. LOL.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
timetokill said:
Cool write-up, I just wanted to touch on one thing:

I have this same problem too, and it's with a lot of Japanese stuff. I'm wondering if anybody else has this issue. I noticed it a lot with the trailers and streams for FF13 though, and though I wasn't planning on playing it it was definitely something that jumped out at me...

My feeling is that the art direction isn't focused and honestly my eyes don't know where to look. I understand the desire to make everything pretty and so forth but looking at a lot of FF13 my eyes just sort of glaze over because I can't seem to find a good focus point. Everything wants to jump out and say "hey, look at me!"

I have the same problem with Japanese stores and such. Bright colors everywhere, and not enough use of negative or blank space. With everything jumping out at me, it's like my eyes get tired and my brain just stops trying to process the image. It's like somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject for now.

You should see some of the Powerpoint sales proposals I help edit and translate at work (Japanese company). My coworkers pack so much shit in a variety of colors into each slide it is madness. It's like they aren't satisfied unless they fill up every inch of the page with something. You can see the same type of thing with a lot of Japanese magazines, TV shows, advertisements and stores as you mentioned. Everything is just plastered with images and multi-colored text in a variety of fonts.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Aokage said:
The Platinum is equivalent to doing absolutely everything in the game. It requires you to five-star every Mission (even the last one), beat the
two superbosses
, synth every single weapon and accessory in the game, five-star the last boss... just about everything you can imagine. Once you have it, that's well and truly it.

It took me something like 120 hours but it might be possible by around 100, depending on your planning, and luck with rare drops.
Awesome man, thanks

Bebpo

Banned
Aokage said:

I'm really looking forward to your impressions. Definitely post them here.

I'm also curious how the hell people can play 120 hours in a week :p I did 50 and that was really really overkill with me having no life for that week outside of XIII!

Cedille

BudokaiMR2 said:

I don't remember CT anymore let alone that location, but if we had to wait several seconds every time we changed areas, it could have been better without it. Who knows.

This is from the guy who has no longer played JRPGs anymore.

Bebpo said:
I'm really looking forward to your impressions. Definitely post them here.

I'm also curious how the hell people can play 120 hours in a week :p I did 50 and that was really really overkill with me having no life for that week outside of XIII!

Yeah I have no idea how they do it. I put something like 60-70 hours into FFXIII and that was because I was sick at home for the week it came out with nothing else to do.

I also look forward to seeing his impressions. I personally want to know how the AI stands up in the really late battles. I can see it being a complete bitch if the fights are hard enough.

Ploid 3.0

Cedille said:
I think a decent amount of why XIII turned out so good is because it had no town. Which, coupled with little loading time issue, resulted in the least stressful game play ever since VI. As much as I loved XII, I really hated to explore Rabanastre, as we had to stand several sec loading before we entered each area, or even shop... and most NPCs didn't give us nothing but the nonsense dialogues.

That city had warp moogles, the hunt headquarters, ports to other cities, served as a hub to other zones, etc (not a problem if the game don't let you explore the worlds though). This gen that city could be one world with no loading, even the warp moogles could have be instant. The thing with cities is that interesting and fun things can happen in them, and I'd rather role playing games work on that than stream lining the game to a battle and dungeon traveling experience. Why even call it a rpg if you don't want to experience it's world? Is Ratchet and Clank now a rpg? It has a battle system with leveling up. The lines will blur if it continue stream lining, CoD MW8 RPG if the year!

Cedille said:

I disagree. Being thrown right into this absolutely huge city with a living, breathing population was probably the most amazing experience I've had in a single player game. I remember being absolutely confounded just in the east end and getting lost every five seconds because I wasn't used to this kind of scale in an FF game. It was truly awesome. And when I finally start finding my way around town, I suddenly stumble upon the entire town underneath Rabanastre. None of it bothered me. I actually wished the entire place was even more expansive. I really just wanted to wander around and explore, look at all the different sites and shops, and talk to all the inhabitants.

Of course, art direction is just as important as scale. If the environments and cities and people were realistic and boring like in wrpgs, I wouldn't be motivated to explore. But in most FF games I feel the art direction is really superb. Places like Lindblum, Archades, Treno, Alexandria, and Midgar, just to name a few, are truly fantasy settings and feel like they came from someone's dream rather than reality. I find those settings much more appealing and just want to immerse myself in them as much as possible. Which is why it's disappointing when a game like FFX or XIII limits your freedom to what is essentially a single narrow path.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The thought of the game not having any towns is slightly disheartening, but then I reconsider the fact that I am sick of talking to NPCs milling about in a shanty town that also don't do anything but tell me stupid shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
7Th said:

oh. my. god.

Do you have one of those huge pillows with a picture of an anime girl on it? I can't believe I actually read through some of your posts in the Import thread.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
H_Prestige said:
Of course, art direction is just as important as scale. If the environments and cities were realistic and boring like in wrpgs, I wouldn't be motivated to explore. But in most FF games I feel the art direction is really superb. Places like Lindblum, Archades, Treno, Alexandria, and Midgar, just to name a few, are truly fantasy settings and feel like they came from someone's dream rather than reality. I find those settings much more appealing and just want to immerse myself in them as much as possible. Which is why it's disappointing when a game like FFX or XIII limits your freedom to what is essentially a single narrow path.

This, Final Fantasy has some of the best designed cities in any game.

Hell, I would have loved to explore
dream Zanarkand
from Final Fantasy X because it looks so inviting and welcoming.

Having no skyscrapers, massive castles and bustling cities in high-def graphics with cool architecture makes me sad. Final Fantasy Versus better make up for it by having a bustling, inviting megalopolis.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:

dream Zanarkand

Having no skyscrapers, massive castles and bustling cities in high-def graphics with cool architecture makes me sad. Final Fantasy Versus better make up for it by having a bustling, inviting megalopolis.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

Hcoregamer00 said:

dream Zanarkand

Having no high-def skyscrapers and bustling cities with cool architecture makes me sad. Final Fantasy Versus better make up for it by having a bustling, inviting megalopolis.

You just reminded of one of my big disappointments in FFXII. I remember thinking that if this is Rabanastre, then Archades will be absolutely mindblowing. And then I finally get there and find that the explorable portion is actually smaller than Bhujerba. It still looked amazing, but the backdrops serve as a constant reminder of how much more it could have been.

7Th

Zefah said:
oh. my. god.

Do you have one of those huge pillows with a picture of an anime girl on it? I can't believe I actually read through some of your posts in the Import thread.

You need to stop taking shit so seriously, bro. Take a deep breathe and cool your head a little.

2rw5eyu.jpg

Top Bottom