• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Expansion - First Look + Closed Beta August 3rd

Do you think we will be able to play as female characters in multiplayer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

True Fire

Testing out some characters on the dummy:

cdcb34b96f.gif

e61f82026c.gif

Reminder that Tabata wants to add CC characters to the main game. That'll be great.

Gbraga

I think they need different sets of animations for the hair in exploration mode and combat mode. The movement is very exaggerated and not realistic at all, but in combat, it looks amazing. The issue is how it goes nuts when you're just slowly walking around.

That's just judging from the gifs, though, didn't play it myself.

Slaythe

I'm getting my ass kick way more than I ever did in the single player I'm liking this

What a shame the main game isn't more like this :/ .

Instant heal / damage magic, better aerial control with all weapons, funnier parry system, cool shield ability...

And lots of new powers with weapons.

Come on Square.

Keinning

I think they need different sets of animations for the hair in exploration mode and combat mode. The movement is very exaggerated and not realistic at all, but in combat, it looks amazing. The issue is how it goes nuts when you're just slowly walking around.

"exploration mode" right now is just a small part of the city that you walk around and have nothing but a practice cactuar and Cor to give you quests

so you're basically seeing it in motion for combat most of the time (when you can log in to a room that is)

wmlk

Yeah, I don't get why infinite Airstep was completely removed in the final game...

Well, other than in Ascension. But would be nice if they had kept it for the Shuriken.

I'm getting my ass kick way more than I ever did in the single player I'm liking this
Yeah. Couldn't beat the end boss of the second mission chain, even with real players. Some of the tougher fights will clearly require coordination and clear roles and not just 4 people flailing and teleporting around.

What a shame the main game isn't more like this :/ .

Instant heal / damage magic, better aerial control with all weapons, funnier parry system, cool shield ability...

And lots of new powers with weapons.

Come on Square.

Tabata promised big news for FF XV at Gamescon. Maybe it's something like carring over this new gameplay as an option to the main game.

Keinning

Yeah. Couldn't beat the end boss of the second mission chain, even with real players. Some of the tougher fights will clearly require coordination and clear roles and not just 4 people flailing and teleporting around.

Had a fight with the iron giant where everyone else was trying to bonk it with the hammer and dying repeatedly

Fun for all ages

Tabata promised big news for FF XV at Gamescon. Maybe it's something about carring over this new gameplay as an option to the main game.

new game ++ avatar mode
yummy

Yeah, I don't get why infinite Airstep was completely removed in the final game...

Infinite Airstrip is still there. It just doesn't work with Royal Arms, probably for balance reason after people abused it with the Shuriken in Platinum Demo.

Mailbox

it... isn't.

Its an ability you have to unlock that costs 333AP. Its called Airdance.

Btw, I've been noticing people talking about the weapons and animations for them, but aren't they just using animations and weapon types from the royal arms, but just not having them take up hp to use?

anywho, I hope this means that they will expand the weapon types to include royal arm-only types into base game (Maces, Stars, Katanas, etc would be sweeeet).

edit: I would also like to note, that it isn't really b/c of the combat that the enemies were easy in the base game. The item system is so poorly designed for the base game, that its really a battle of attrition when they are high level. You don't die or "feel like its hard" b/c you never feel that danger b/c of how items are handled. Seriously, if they had a "you can only have 10 items you can bring to battle, and you can't swap items in battle" system (similar to kh1, for example), ff15 would be a legit tough game at times. I know that my level 1 run would have been impossible rather than pretty easy if this was the case.

wmlk

Infinite Airstrip is still there. It just doesn't work with Royal Arms, probably for balance reason after people abused it with the Shuriken in Platinum Demo.

Yeah, I meant the Shuriken. I think having one weapon in the game that has infinite Airstep from the get-go would have been fine. But no, they removed it.

it... isn't.

Its an ability you have to unlock that costs 333AP. Its called Airdance.

Btw, I've been noticing people talking about the weapons and animations for them, but aren't they just using animations and weapon types from the royal arms, but just not having them take up hp to use?

anywho, I hope this means that they will expand the weapon types to include royal arm-only types into base game (Maces, Stars, Katanas, etc would be sweeeet).

Read the edit :p

It may as well be completely removed. 333 AP is way too high for such a fun ability.

EDIT: The 333 AP isn't even counting the other nodes you need to unlock.

They're a bit different. The forward-attack of the shuriken is a free warp strike which is new. They also allow for multiple airships now and they're faster and more canceable in general.

Yeah, I meant the Shuriken. I think having one weapon in the game that has infinite Airstep from the get-go would have been fine. But no, they removed it.

Read the edit :p

It may as well be completely removed. 333 AP is way too high for such a fun ability.

It's not that difficult to unlock. The thing is that it doesn't work with Royal Arms anyway.

benzy

I'm pretty sure they can adjust the gravity and bounciness of it if they wanted. It looks more like an artistic choice to have it flow like that, exaggerated and more noticeable, like those Nvidia Hairworks tech demos. I love the exaggerated effect and think it looks cool, and personally don't care too much for exact realism regarding this.

1327948238589325231.gif

JjtUE62.gif

It's not like it even looks bad compared to real hair bounce.

tumblr_m301ycPqpc1r0k0eio1_400.gif

Mailbox

i guess i dont understand the healing spell. i use it but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Daemons lower your max hp (think bleed damage), so you can only heal up to your new max hp.

If it isn't doing anything, you are probably already at max Hp/

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm confused - is there no ability to save?

I finished a set of missions and the game thanks me for playing and kicked me to the title screen, but when I started the same character back up I was Level 1 with only the starting equipment.

Gorillaz

No way is the combat more fluid in this then the actual product. That Sunhi gif with him fighting in that pond had better and smoother movements then Noct did in the actual game lol.

Slaythe

Yeah this is so maddening, you work hard to beat some missions, you unlock new weapons that sound awesome with cool abtilities (my Raikiri katana T.T) aaand...

Main Title back to lv1.

SMH.

No way is the combat more fluid in this then the actual product. That Sunhi gif with him fighting in that pond had better and smoother movements then Noct did in the actual game lol.

It controls a lot a better than the real game, and you have access to more stuff, also no menu meddling so it's all dynamic.

It's mind boggling.

I wish companies had touted hair physics before boobie physics. Love the exaggerated bounciness, and the fluffy long hair gif in benzy's post.

mortal

Gold Member

I'm getting flashes of FFXVI. The image quality and detailed animations from these gifs makes it look like a future FF title. Minus the lack of proper splashes and water being kicked up in the last gif.

I've heard several people on Gaf mention that a lot of the post release content and this online multiplayer component are from Tabata experimenting with mechanics for a future project.

Is the demo actually up? I would really like to jump back in to try multiplayer. Still didn't beat the game yet though even though I know I can in a couple hours, since I spent most of my time sidequesting until I dropped it to play some other games.

Is the demo actually up? I would really like to jump back in to try multiplayer. Still didn't beat the game yet though even though I know I can in a couple hours, since I spent most of my time sidequesting until I dropped it to play some other games.

Yes, the beta is up. But don't go into it thinking it is a demo,. This is an actual beta through and through. An actual online test so they can make improvements for the final release.

Yes, the beta is up. But don't go into it thinking it is a demo,. This is an actual beta through and through. An actual online test so they can make improvements for the final release.

I see, I'm guessing data won't be transferred to the real thing then, I might try to test it out then but man I hate how 500GB of space on my PS4 feels so little.

I have major fear with this like it's huge....the clothing selection. Their sense of fashion sucks! There better be some ff outfits and such

I hope it potentially allows from out of place stuff, I would like to dress up as a judge. Or maybe a fancy cloak like Setzer. Also thinking about it Vaan's Aladdin vest with non-Skeletor abs would be nice.

Gbraga

I kind of enjoyed the way airsteps ended up working. But I'm a sucker for doing convoluted inputs for things, so there's that. Having to quickly switch to my short sword in order to do an airstep and then back to the shuriken to throw them in the air was a blast.

I also really liked how doing a straight teleport through the enemy (no lock-on) would reset my airstep count before unlocking airdance. It made things more interesting and added MP management to staying airborne, while airdancing is a bit more automatic. It's the difference between "O, L Stick, O, release lock-on /\, lock-on O" and "O, L Stick(x1000)". Much more involved and fun. Airdancing does feel great, and it's incredibly useful, so I ended up using it anyway.

I hope it potentially allows from out of place stuff, I would like to dress up as a judge. Or maybe a fancy cloak like Setzer. Also thinking about it Vaan's Aladdin vest with non-Skeletor abs would be nice.

I would kill for a Quistis outfit and hairstyle, and throw in a whip weapon while they are at it.

Hell, just do all the FFVIII stuff, it would blend with Eos' fashion so well.

Gbraga

Any chance of these gameplay making it into the main game?

They did say they wanted to add your custom character to the story mode, so at least while controlling your character you'll probably have multiplayer controls. And given how much Tabata listens to feedback (too much, to be honest), they'll probably end up implementing an option in the menu.

Arkeband

Banned
It's called world-building.
Did it ever mention this in the main game, that gasoline is a precious resource, that's why there's a gas station every mile or so? Give me a break! Am I missing an obvious joke here?

First part is unnecessary. Doesn't help your "I'm level-headed" point you like to hit on. The UI is perfectly fine, but the lobby system does need a lot of work, as it's kind of bonked right now.

What part is unnecessary and not level-headed, pointing out that you literally can't even get to the options menu once you're in-game and that you can't get back to the main menu and you have to forcibly quit the client? That's a fact, man.

I get that the servers are under heavy strain, but the UI is completely non-intuitive which is why a lot of people in the thread have no idea what's happening when it goes to look for a game. They can actually program it to to give feedback to players when things aren't working, believe it or not.

Norns

Did it ever mention this in the main game, that gasoline is a precious resource, that's why there's a gas station every mile or so? Give me a break! Am I missing an obvious joke here?

What part is unnecessary and not level-headed, pointing out that you literally can't even get to the options menu once you're in-game and that you can't get back to the main menu and you have to forcibly quit the client? That's a fact, man.

Why do you play stuff you seemingly hate

OK I finally beat every quest in the beta.

The hardest was definitely the second one. Shit got crazy in the Ronin fight, and I was lucky I had a full party that knew what they were doing.

The beta is certainly buggy tho and in a dire need of tons of polish.

Insane potential tho. If they managed to pull it off, it's gonna be a huge time sink for me.

Top Bottom