• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Nintendo Power cover revealed

So since I also have memories of NP, tho more recent since I was born in 93, I decided to look for the next to last issue and the last issue. Goto Walmart and what do I find behind a XBox magazine? Why, its the next to last issue! HURRAY!

I also dig around and find a bunch of my old issues that I had growing up like the Twilight Princess, Wii Launch, DS Launch, Wifi Connection, Spirit Tracks, among others. I thought I lost a bunch of these, but nope! Still here and mostly in good condition.

I wanna read some of the old ones, and the next to last and last issues, but the next to last issue is sealed and I don't wanna open it XD. Only one they had....but I'll probably open it. Will try and find two copies of the last issue. Also cool that I get a pack of Kid Icarus cards. I can't believe NoA never sold any of these. I would've bought $5 booster packs if they actually released any :(

While my memories of NP are recent, I still loved reading the issues whenever I found them at a store. Now I wanna go and collect some of the older issues...

Also cool that the issue was only $6. I thought it would be $10 for some reason...

Lothar

Banned
So since I also have memories of NP, tho more recent since I was born in 93

Geez, you were 4 years old when the magazine became not that good anymore. (Roughly the 100th issue) I was in 16 in the 11th grade....

Out of curiosity, what was your reaction to seeing the AVGN Nintendo Power memories video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk I can't imagine what that must look like if you weren't there for it. The time period when video game magazines were the only place to go if you were stuck on a game must seem like the stone ages to you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
T_T

Sunrise, sunset... awesome idea for a cover, you can tell they really care about the magazine's lineage.

Still can't believe it's ending...

oatmeal

Banned
Oh, and since we're all taking a trip down memory lane in this topic anyway (and since it does relate to the topic of Nintendo Power covers), just to share this:

Did those pictures up through Issue 192, but didn't want to bog down this thread too much, and figure the first 100 are where most people's memories are.
Fack. I have 90% of those at one time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's really cool that they were able to do a tribute cover like that instead of the last issue just being some random game. It provides some sort of closure.

Agreed. This is the best we could have hoped for given the circumstances.

Mistle

Geez, you were 4 years old when the magazine became not that good anymore. (Roughly the 100th issue) I was in 16 in the 11th grade....

Out of curiosity, what was your reaction to seeing the AVGN Nintendo Power memories video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk I can't imagine what that must look like if you weren't there for it. The time period when video game magazines were the only place to go if you were stuck on a game must seem like the stone ages to you.
I was also born in '93, and grew up with the Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, then the 64.. Followed an Australian magazine called Nintendo Gamer which I guess is similar to NP. Saying early 90s kids missed out on all that stuff is pretty off the mark, at least for myself. Sure, technically it was a transitional period, but I sure didn't grow up with the Internet in full force.

But if you just meant purely in terms of missing the first 100 issues of NP, then yeah, guess we came along a little too late :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
animu.ru-ashita-no-joe-(1024x768)-wallpaper-001.jpg

8WRW8.jpg

Lothar

Banned
I was also born in '93, and grew up with the Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, then the 64.. Followed an Australian magazine called Nintendo Gamer which I guess is similar to NP. Saying early 90s kids missed out on all that stuff is pretty off the mark, at least for myself. Sure, technically it was a transitional period, but I sure didn't grow up with the Internet in full force.

But if you just meant purely in terms of missing the first 100 issues of NP, then yeah, guess we came along a little too late :p

I meant the first 100 issues due to it representing a time that doesn't exist anymore. This is why everyone is really sad NP is dead.

Every gamer I knew was using gamefaqs in 1997. The first big thing I can remember that everyone was using it for was the FF7 chocobo breeding guide. Maybe Australia got the internet later than the US? :)

It's hard to imagine someone born in the 90s not having grown up with internet.

We had to call game counselors when we were stuck on games. Did you ever have to do that? I doubt that.

disap.ed

I was also born in '93, and grew up with the Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, then the 64.

How is this possible? I am 10 years older and I would say I grew up with these consoles, I mean you were 3 years old when the N64 has been released.

Since I'm from Germany I wasn't able to read a single issue of Nintendo Power, but even I get teared up seein that awesome bookending cover.

Bravo, NP. Bravo.

I think I'll buy two. One to read, one to frame.

Now, I just need a Gaffer to sell me their issue #1 so I can frame it next to the final issue. Thanks in advance for the PMs with your offers, GAF!

Mistle

How is this possible? I am 10 years older and I would say I grew up with these consoles, I mean you were 3 years old when the N64 has been released.
Not sure. Either Australia got late releases (we would have, but not that late) or more likely, my parents bought me last-gen consoles haha. In retrospect, I probably got a 64 pretty late in it's life cycle, but I still enjoyed the classic games all the same.

FyreWulff

My brothers and I had a friend near middle school that only had an NES in their house, while we had an N64. Some houses/families just end up a bit behind the curve.

One of the tenants moved into my previous building and she had an NES hooked up to her TV, nothing newer. This was in 2010.

IrishNinja

I strongly recommend that people avoid those spoilers. It's not nearly as effective without the visuals. Trust me on this.

Subscribers should be getting their issues this week. Please be strong.

yeah, this should go without saying...i almost wish idve just seen the cover in the mail, but it got me digging around to find old issues again, so some good for me at least came of that.

if anyone ruins that stuff in this thread, i'll call for your head. i tend to get my subscriptions late here for some reason.

ScOULaris

Every time a magazine from my childhood dies, I die a little inside as well.

Seeing as how pretty much every American mag other than Game Informer has died, tried to make a comeback, and then died again... I'm pretty much just a hollowed-out shell at this point.

If anyone could help a GAFer in the UK (me) get hold of a copy of this I'd be thrilled. Will Paypal the cost of the issue + postage, natch.

I strongly recommend that people avoid those spoilers. It's not nearly as effective without the visuals. Trust me on this.

I just read up on it, too. My god, this is so wonderful, yet so sad.

It's like when German Nintendo magazine TOTAL! (no real relation to the UK magazine from back when) was suddenly (without any warning) pulled out of print in June 2000 or so.
The publisher suddenly went belly up. I never knew what happened until over 10 years later.

At least all you Nintendo Powerists get to see your (favorite?) mag go out with a bang.

People should put up a Kickstarter to rescue this magazine, or at least bring it back to life as a Nintendo focused video game news website.

If anyone could help a GAFer in the UK (me) get hold of a copy of this I'd be thrilled. Will Paypal the cost of the issue + postage, natch.

Oooh, same here, but for Germany. Same deal, though!

gerudoman

It would be a nice detail if there was the possibilty to buy the last issue online for the people outside the US. I haven't read any of the previous issues, but I would like to own a piece of Nintendo's history.

JazzmanZ

Was there a surprising news or just the farewell to a great magazine?

Still can't believe this is NP final issue. :(

Fond farewell, there were no real "SHOCKING NEW GAMES" or stuff like that,
but Some of the things that surprised me was that they acknowledged the ads they ran of Megaman Mania and the game never coming to existence and some of ads bid farewell, including longtime ad sponsor digipen.

but the Orcarnia ads didn't even say good bye :(

Vibed

Still haven't gotten this issue yet!

I'm not sure if I want to see the end though... :(

There are people -like me- who when they were 8 or so and younger didn't get the latest console. They played some retro ones and grew up with those before they browsed the internet looking at the latest.

As a Brit, can't say I actually hold an opinion on Nintendo Power, but I definitely have the greatest respect for them. Nice to see the magazine gets to go out the best way it could have.

neshoba78

Neo Member
y4bmvsu
[/QUOTE]
ikr? Though, I'd rather a troll reference to DKC than, "Oh wow! Look how ugly Bowser was back then. Is that like his dad or something?"

Mitsurux

Will definatly try to locate this issue in the wild..... (sad to say i haven't had a NP subscription in Years.. but still have all of my old issues)

Perfect cover for the final issue.. its truly an end of an era... (part of me is sad to see that currect state of print media...eh)

I will never ever forget seeing the First issue of Nintendo power. Having only seen up to that point the "Newsletter" Nintendo Fun club stuff.... seeing a "real" magazine, with quality photos and decent atricles was mindblowing....

JazzmanZ

Can someone post a link to the spoilers or sum them up here for those of us who aren't going to get the issue?

Starts with Pulse section with various people saying farewell and the memories they had.
Then begins with the top 285 video games that goes on for pages, no surprises to what #1 is.
After that the bulk of the issue is history lesson on what Nintendo Power covered from 1988 to 2012.
After that a lot of the NP staff both old and new give their thoughts and memories writing for the mag, including Alan the slime and Nate.
Finally a review section of all the hot new Wii U games that came out, Tank tank tank scoring the lowest, ZombiU and Arkham city scoring the highest.
Finally a two page comic of Nester and his son 'Max'
The poster is all the issues from then and now.

terrisus

I meant the first 100 issues due to it representing a time that doesn't exist anymore. This is why everyone is really sad NP is dead.

Every gamer I knew was using gamefaqs in 1997. The first big thing I can remember that everyone was using it for was the FF7 chocobo breeding guide. Maybe Australia got the internet later than the US? :)

It's hard to imagine someone born in the 90s not having grown up with internet.

We had to call game counselors when we were stuck on games. Did you ever have to do that? I doubt that.

I used to have the number for that memorized I would call it so often - paying those ever-warned-against long-distance bills in the process. Since, not only for the gameplay help, but in the gap waiting between issues, the news offered on that phone line was also one of the better ways to get new news. I can still hear them rattling off the list of upcoming games for the N64 - which, yeah, was right around the time I got the internet, and the focus of everything shifted.

Nintendo Power in the pre-internet-filled world was really something special, and offered something very different from what can be imagined of magazines now. And, even after the internet exploded, as I had said earlier, for years the ties that Nintendo Power had directly with Nintendo allowed it to still provide something different and special.

Top Bottom