• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Nintendo Power cover revealed

terrisus

Oh, and since we're all taking a trip down memory lane in this topic anyway (and since it does relate to the topic of Nintendo Power covers), just to share this:

NP-onshelf.jpg

NP-NFC2-7.jpg

NP-1-6.jpg

NP-7-12.jpg

NP-13-18.jpg

NP-19-24.jpg

NP-25-30.jpg

NP-31-36.jpg

NP-37-42.jpg

NP-43-48.jpg

NP-49-54.jpg

NP-55-60.jpg

NP-61-66.jpg

NP-67-72.jpg

NP-73-78.jpg

NP-79-84.jpg

NP-85-90.jpg

NP-91-96.jpg

NP-97-102.jpg

Did those pictures up through Issue 192, but didn't want to bog down this thread too much, and figure the first 100 are where most people's memories are.

Oh, and since we're all taking a trip down memory lane in this topic anyway (and since it does relate to the topic of Nintendo Power covers), just to share this:

Did those pictures up through Issue 192, but didn't want to bog down this thread too much, and figure the first 100 are where most people's memories are.

Wow, you kept on going.

I still have all my NPs from issue 1 through around 1997-ish. Something changed that made me stop buying it. It might have been me. :(

entremet

Man, the first 100 issues there take me way back. :*(

I wish I could get these for the iPad.

The Mega Man X Super Bonus Issue had that silver cover for subscribers. I loved that issue. I had those 3D cross eye thingies that I could never get to work lol.

terrisus

Wow, you kept on going.

I still have all my NPs from issue 1 through around 1997-ish. Something changed that made me stop buying it. It might have been me. :(

Yeah, although I only started with Issue 32 (January 1992), but have had a constant subscription since then. The older ones I went back and got afterwards - although plenty of them I had read at the time from people who had them anyway.

The Mega Man X Super Bonus Issue had that silver cover for subscribers.

Yeah, mine had it, but I took it off (what is shown is the inner cover) for the picture, since the silver cover didn't show up as well. There were a couple others where they did that too - a Spiderman one I think, and I think there was a black one in there somewhere too. Also the "Happy NU Year" cover (Issue 80) actually folds open and there's another cover underneath it as well.

Also, Issue 92 (with the Star Wars character) was a multiple-cover issue, they sent one a random pick of 1 of 4 different covers. That's the one I had happened to get though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
While moving this year, my cat pissed on the 1996-1997 stack. Had to throw them out. Felt absolutely horrible.

I think he got my Oracle of Seasons issue too.

Ugh. :(

FyreWulff

I'm gonna pick up a copy just for memories although I have not read NP for 4-5 years.

That's the position I'm in. Probably a bit longer.

It's just nice to see a magazine actually get to acknowledge the end of it's run for once. So many other ones either get shuttered out of nowhere or weren't allowed to say "final issue" for various reasons. So it gets to function as a body of literary work with a beginning and an end.

Also, to Kotaku or whoever other gaming website is reading this:

Could you do a dead magazine a favor and NOT post scans or the stories to your websites? At least give a dead mag a break and have people go get a copy if they want to read it for a while.

Awesome cover. I am kind of sad this is happening tho. A mag devoted to Nintendo is something I like getting in the mail. The last couple of years the magazine has been rather good too. On well.

My oldest daughter is now the same age I was when I received that classic first issue of Nintendo Power in the mail.

;(

RIP, Nintendo Power.
Thanks for the memories.

After 24 years, they finally got Mario's colour scheme right :p . Great final cover though. I did have a Nintendo Power subscription when I was younger, probably from 1992 to like... 1996-97? But I haven't looked at an issue of the magazine in over a decade. I almost forgot that Nintendo Power still existed as a magazine.

Still sad to see the gaming magazine "era" go though. The damn internet spoiled it all for me.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang.... I need to get this.

I was hoping NP would go digital, really sad to see them die though :(

I only subscribed for like 2 years during middle school, but really really sad :(

After 24 years, they finally got Mario's colour scheme right :p . Great final cover though. I did have a Nintendo Power subscription when I was younger, probably from 1992 to like... 1996-97? But I haven't looked at an issue of the magazine in over a decade. I almost forgot that Nintendo Power still existed as a magazine.

Still sad to see the gaming magazine "era" go though. The damn internet spoiled it all for me.

Ha! Yeah I still remember having to buy magazines and such for walkthroughs, cheats and so on. I still remember going to a friends house to get move listings for mortal kombat on the Internet...it blew my mind how easy it was to get a hold of this stuff lol

Thanks for the pics of the first 100, my Golden Eye issue was so dog-eared. I was so fucking stoked about that game.. ahh and the Turok issue! Nostalgia dump. I've lost the nintendo thread over the years but seeing that final issue cover really gave me the chills. It was my first gaming magazine subscription.

Solid run Nintendo Power, well done.

aceface

My 10 year old self used to pour over those early issues over and over again. I never even got to play most of the games but damn if I didn't know them inside and out thanks to NP.

Kudos man, those look great. I have a complete collection as well, have maintained my subscription since the beginning.

Wow, this hit me harder than I imagined a random magazine cover possibly could. A huge blow of nostalgia and melancholic feelings came over me. I'm laying on the beach at summer camp with my brother, pouring over every word about Super Mario World and the upcoming Killer Instinct until the pages tear and fade. I can see him reading it on the couch at home as he raced home before me to grab the new issue out of the mail box.

*salutes*

What great memories.

That flag on the right of the cover signifying the end of a level (era) gets me every time I see this.

Wow, this hit me harder than I imagined a random magazine cover possibly could. A huge blow of nostalgia and melancholic feelings came over me. I'm laying on the beach at summer camp with my brother, pouring over every word about Super Mario World and the upcoming Killer Instinct until the pages tear and fade. I can see him reading it on the couch at home as he raced home before me to grab the new issue out of the mail box.

*salutes*

What great memories.

I love to hear stories like this about how gaming brings people together.

MisterHero

Nester appeared as Lark in Pilotwings 64. I voted for him in an old GAF Smash Bros 4 roster. He'd kick with jumble-hopper boots, have a jetpack and glide with a hang-glider. When he's in falling state, he'd use a parachute and have the best air control of any character. Finally, his Final Smash could either be a gyrocopter with working missiles, or a human cannonball.

Stages include Holiday Island and Little USA with Mecha Hawk in the background. Point is, Nester/Lark is an awesome videogame character.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
A) I knew I should have Googled it
B) See A

The worst part is I knew that game existed, I just forgot about it.

How about a NEW game with him?

lol
Poor Nester's Funky Bowling. Nobody remembers it. Perhaps it was the fact that it was on Virtual Boy.

I actually kinda enjoyed the game, too.

terrisus

Poor Nester's Funky Bowling. Nobody remembers it. Perhaps it was the fact that it was on Virtual Boy.

Not only Nester, but also his sister, Hester.
It's kind of funny that after all his video game antics in the magazine, the only game he showed up in was a bowling game. Definitely seems he could have been fit in some other places as well.

But yeah, a fun game, and a few thousand dollars cheaper than the other Virtual Boy bowling game, the Japan-only "Virtual Bowling."

KaYotiX

Banned
Nice way to end the mag with that cover. I still have my first 75 mags sitting in a box in storage somewhere LOL. Loved Nintendo Power as a kid growing up :)

I still remember all those covers too :) Great memories!

Davey Cakes

I still have my Virtual Boy, though it doesn't work properly. Along with Mario Tennis, Mario Clash, and Wario Land, we got Nester's Funky Bowling as well. It's a really fun game!

Top Bottom