• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

Footos22

Am I the only one bothered by the hands twitchiness inside the car? Nobody drives like that. So distracting (coming from someone who rarely buys racing games).

I am and im sure theyll fix it.
tbh forzas hand movement bothers me too.
Luckily i use a wheel and will be using the in car bonnet view. 2 Wheels are distracting.

billy323

Banned
I need to see this in real life. I checked out the youtube clip but it's 720p 30fps. It looks no better than NFSMW and the lighting looks worse. I know it's just the compression so I'll of course reserve judgement.

Edit: Wait, I just realized the game is 720p/30fps. Well, I'm still sure it looks much better in person.

No

billy323

Banned
Am I the only one bothered by the hands twitchiness inside the car? Nobody drives like that. So distracting (coming from someone who rarely buys racing games).
Me too, seems to fast to move then slows down. Needs to be evened out a little bit around the deadzone.

demolitio

Yea, that's a pet peeve of mine in any game that shows off their in-car views a lot. If you spend so much time making sure every last little detail is right in the car, a lot of goes to waste if the actual driver looks weird while driving in that view.

Obviously it could very well be fixed but yea, I'm bothered by it too. :D

Dory

Banned
Boy this game sure came a huge way since that 35% build. Man, I sure am shocked that is the case ;)

But seriously, now this is what I'm talking about. This game looked extremely tight in that offscreen footage I saw from Gamersyde. That environmental detail and the various visual effects Evolution already has in play is insane.

Do you really want people to list the billion things DriveClub is doing that Forza 5 is not? That said, I personally prefer 60fps to all of that, so I'd still say Forza 5 wins.

But Forza and DriveClub could not be two less alike racing games (well unless one of them was Mario Kart I guess), so... kinda pointless to even compare.

The game is 1080p/30fps, not 720p. The developers have said that they're trying to get 1080p direct feed footage sorted out soon.

Your comment 'and now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate' suggests you were talking about the Gamescom build, not the E3 build. If you were referring to the E3 footage, no one was drooling over it - in fact that footage led to Driveclub getting shunned on this site for several months.

Let's take a look at what i said:
" Then Evolution shows up at E3 with a build that looked like middle of the current gen footage. And now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate."
Then.... And Now...
If you still haven't gotten it, i was commenting on both builds, first the E3 one and then the Gamescom one.

Theecliff

Banned
" Then Evolution shows up at E3 with a build that looked like middle of the current gen footage. And now I see a bunch of people drooling over something that is easily matched by the racing title of the competition and at double the frame rate."
Then.... And Now...
If you still haven't gotten it, i was commenting on both builds, first the E3 one and then the Gamescom one.

Ok, well sorry for misreading that - no need to get snarky.

Why are you trying to bring up the E3 build in this thread anyway? Does it really matter if the old build looked like that when we have new footage that clearly shows that it has improved visually?

Dory

Banned
So they're only as good as the weakest build they've shown early on? No wonder why The Order was afraid to show too much WIP footage to the public...

Why would we mention an old build if they've moved on and we're interested as to where it is now? Do people mention the BF4 alpha that didn't have textured buildings or did they move on realizing that game is further in development now?

I'm by no means a defender on this game and I'm quite skeptical on some things myself, but you're honestly saying we should still judge this game solely on their bad E3 showing and STILL be talking about it instead of recent footage? Even then, care to still answer which current gen racers made DriveClub's E3 build just look like average current gen graphics? And people aren't just drooling over reflections (which actually are quite impressive) but I guess breaking it down to one point makes it easier for the hyperbole.

You mention hyperbole to others while partaking in it yourself. If you don't find it impressive, that's fine, but plenty of people do so what is the point to using the E3 build to criticize Evo and fans for even liking it and then assuming that more powerful hardware means that every single exclusive HAS to look leaps and bounds better than the competitors at launch when even someone like Cerny admits that it will take a few years to truly show the advantages just like every other generation?

So what exactly is impressive to you so far from the next-gen offerings and what current racing games made DC at E3 look so bad in direct comparison? What has wowed you and why do you expect every single Sony game to look better as if it's a guarantee with better specs? Forza 5 is impressive in its own ways and disappointing in its own ways too. In the end, it's a matter of preference and it shouldn't matter what the console wars have to say about it because gaming used to be about pure entertainment instead of undying loyalties to companies. If the game is anything like PGR, then I'm sure it will be a big hit regardless. Killzone is looking pretty good though, right?

See? No one denies the E3 build was underwhelming but you expect us to still be complaining about that instead of talking about the latest builds? It looks A LOT better now and has a lot of great tech at work that of course people would admire. Does it mean everyone is happy and are drooling over it just because it's a PS4 game? Hell no. Are we seeing major improvements and are excited to talk about what's changed and what it does best and what it needs work on? Of course, that's the nature of a pre-release thread, but no one is going to constantly bring up the E3 build just to remind everyone of something we already saw. Some of us just want a good fucking racing game and not another battlefield in the almighty console wars...

I am very well aware that software development is an iterative process and there is no blame to put on Evolution for the E3 build other than their competitor had something that looked a lot better. It's both human nature and the nature of the gaming business to judge things by comparison, but even without comparison, most agreed that the E3 build was unworthy of the next gen hardware it ran on.

Let's move on to the Gamescon build. Good without any doubt. but would it have received the unanimous reverence that it does in this post if the general expectations hadn't been flattened by a less than subpar showing at E3? I dare to have to have my doubts on that. In my opinion Forza matches it in almost every graphical point other than dynamic lighting and night/day cycle which are plausibly trade offs made to lock a launch game at 60fps. The fact that DC's footage is of a forest track with plenty of tree leaves to reflect on the car should be totally irrelevant (that's for those who claim better environments). So much about a 50% more powerful GPU.

All of this is just my opinion and I'm not enticing anyone to make huge deal about it. The thing I'm sure most reasonable would agree on though, is that this will be settled when both games appear in demo kiosks closer to the console launch dates.

spwolf

I am very well aware that software development is an iterative process and there is no blame to put on Evolution for the E3 build other than their competitor had something that looked a lot better. It's both human nature and the nature of the gaming business to judge things by comparison, but even without comparison, most agreed that the E3 build was unworthy of the next gen hardware it ran on.

Let's move on to the Gamescon build. Good without any doubt. but would it have received the unanimous reverence that it does in this post if the general expectations hadn't been flattened by a less than subpar showing at E3? I dare to have to have my doubts on that. In my opinion Forza matches it in almost every graphical point other than dynamic lighting and night/day cycle which are plausibly trade offs made to lock a launch game at 60fps. The fact that DC's footage is of a forest track with plenty of tree leaves to reflect on the car should be totally irrelevant (that's for those who claim better environments). So much about a 50% more powerful GPU.

All of this is just my opinion and I'm not enticing anyone to make huge deal about it. The thing I'm sure most reasonable would agree on though, is that this will be settled when both games appear in demo kiosks closer to the console launch dates.

You are really not making any argument... you are just saying that you feel and that your opinion is that Forza looks better except for lighting.

I look at compare gifs posted here and it is clear that Driveclub looks better...

E3 build is irrelevant as Gamescon build will be when the final is released...

Dory

Banned
You are really not making any argument... you are just saying that you feel and that your opinion is that Forza looks better except for lighting.

I look at compare gifs posted here and it is clear that Driveclub looks better...

E3 build is irrelevant as Gamescon build will be when the final is released...

That looks like an opinion to me, mister agument.

Forza 5 to me is more impressive. Which is my own opinion. Looks next gen, is locked 60FPS. Is going to have easily twice as many cars all of them in autovista and probably more tracks. The cameras are better that chase cam is awful. Forza's ability to customise cars is market leading and looks like it has been improved. I've heard all the audio and the audio is more impressive on forza aswell.

Yes the environments look a little better on drive club and the lighting is dynamic but I couldn't care about the lighting as long as it looks good.

EmptySpace disagrees.
6Lz8.gif

9Ma9.gif

0Cn1.gif

Wake EmptySpace up whenever Forza can match that.

sunnz

Do you prefer a more natural look?

Or do you prefer a more vibrant look?

That is how I see it ( Driveclub looking more natural)

spwolf

That looks like an opinion to me, mister agument.

we are arguing our opinions... you write 3 paragraphs without actually trying to explain why is Forza looking better than DC other than "i feel".

We are all entitled to our opinions of course...

5Cj7.gif

Looking at both, DC simply looks better and Forza looks cartoonish.

velociraptor

I think the only reason why Forza looks more impressive is because it runs at 60 frames, and the fact it looks a little more refined (better IQ, smoother cockpit shadows). Driveclub has Forza beat in every other department though. Once Evolution gets this game running at 60FPS, then it's a no brainer for me.

Drek

1. You say that you understand software development being an iterative process, but then show no ability to apply this alleged "understanding" to the current situation. Forza's visual quality has been static from E3 to Gamescom, Driveclub made a massive step forward from E3 to Gamescom. One has clearly finished graphical polish and refinement while the other one clearly hasn't, which leads us to point number 2:

2. Why not wait and see what Driveclub's final framerate is? They say they're shooting for 60 fps. If they hit it doesn't that make Driveclub technically superior to Forza in every way by your own admission? Also, if they're shooting for 60 fps the current stable in-house build likely isn't running at 30 fps. The game's frame rate would need to be significantly higher than that for there to be any hope of achieving 60 fps for release. Knowing that they'll go with 30 or 60 (due to screen refresh cycles) if they in fact miss their 60 fps target shouldn't we be expecting visual enhancements across the rest of the game? One of their art staff specifically mentioned an internal debate on 30 v. 60, implying that technology and art assets are already in-place for them to shoot for a locked 30 with greater visual polish.

3. As for your "so much about a 50% more powerful GPU" comment, you do realize that Turn 10 is basically up-porting an existing engine from one API to it's direct predecessor, with an incredibly similar core design while Evolution is actually making a new engine on entirely different architecture than their previous efforts, right? And that Turn 10 is making an iterative sequel clearly re-using assets from it's previous titles while Evolution is making a game unlike anything they've ever made before starting from ground zero, right?

The fact that Driveclub bitch slaps Forza in everything but frame rate (with that still up in the air) is a pretty damning indictment as to the real hardware gap.

4. Lastly, I'd bet lighting will be the single biggest dividing visual feature in this next generation. Poly counts and texturing resources are at the limits of what the industry can afford to model and design. In-game dynamic processes, the most obviously of which being lighting, and how those play across the static art assets that compose the game's backbone, will be the true test of a game's visual fidelity.

XeNoN89

Banned
we are arguing our opinions... you write 3 paragraphs without actually trying to explain why is Forza looking better than DC other than "i feel".

5Cj7.gif

Yep, the cars in Forza look like toy cars or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The lighting also isn't anywhere near as good.

p3tran

Banned
can we avoid the vs stuff? I am sure we will get thousands of them when both games are out.
because one is arcade, other is sim, games are not really directly comparable in other way than being launch games with cars on launch consoles.

I do believe that driveclub can look much better if the shadows are a bit cleaned up.
and I say that not in relation to forza or nfs or anything else, only in relation to driveclub itself.

The_Monk

Your brain is taking your internet nickname way too seriously, EmptySpace.

As someone who just started to post for the first time today, say, one hour ago I would recommend to avoid this kind of talk fellow GAFfer.

Enjoy your stay in this fine Community, be polite and keep it on Topic, please.

Your brain is taking your internet nickname way too seriously, EmptySpace.

Dory would be delighted to know that EmptySpace makes up 90% of Dory's mass, and the majority of the energy of the entire universe resides in EmptySpace.

Which means Dory exists today because EmptySpace exists.

EmptySpace is touched.

The reaction to the E3 footage was just typical gamer reaction to something different. We didn't even have any direct feed and everyone was foreshadowing the end of the world.

But I can guarantee that racing a Lamborghini across the Scottish highlands as the sunsets will be one of the defining experiences of early next gen.

Dory

Banned

5Cj7.gif

Call me naive but given that the unanimous consensus in all debates I've seen is that the PS4 enjoys a considerable technical advantage over the Xbone, I was expecting to see it reflected at least in the first party games. I was expecting DC, which uses the hardware on which "the only limitation is your imagination" (Quantic Dream), "the most powerful console in the world ("Cerny at Gamescon") to blow Forza out of the water. The least we can all agree on is that it is far from being reality and several people other than me in this very thread will take Forza over DC as far as technical accomplishments go. So my whole point is that so far, Sony still has a long way to go to live up to its claims and leveling the expectations with poor builds labelled "35% done" so the final result can look impressive in comparison is not going to do the trick as far a attentive and objective eyes and ears are concerned. And there are many more out there than fanboys may think.

Junior registed in June, 7 posts, only has a xbl gamertag, makes comments like "there's goes the 50% more powerful gpu". (it's 40% by the way)

You guys are being trolled.

darkwing

5Cj7.gif

the shadow of the trees/foliage is on the windshield, with the dashboard reflecting on the windshield too :O

Sickbean

With regards to the 60fps target, if they don't quite make it for launch is there any chance they could continue working on it and patch it in later?

I'm struggling to think of any time that's ever happened before.

Game is gorgeous though, and I'll be getting it for 'free' anyway. 60fps is icing on the cake, albeit very very tasty icing.

tzare

Call me naive but given that the unanimous consensus in all debates I've seen is that the PS4 enjoys a considerable technical advantage over the Xbone, I was expecting to see it reflected at least in the first party games. I was expecting DC, which uses the hardware on which "the only limitation is your imagination" (Quantic Dream), "the most powerful console in the world ("Cerny at Gamescon") to blow Forza out of the water. The least we can all agree on is that it is far from being reality and several people other than me in this very thread will take Forza over DC as far as technical accomplishments go. So my whole point is that so far, Sony still has a long way to go to live up to its claims and leveling the expectations with poor builds labelled "35% done" so the final result can look impressive in comparison is not going to do the trick as far a attentive and objective eyes and ears are concerned. And there are many more out there than fanboys may think.
you seem salty and butthurt.

A lot of things to call you potentially come to mind after reading that, naive isn't one of them. :)

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

I'd say numerous first/second party looks a bit rough on the development front, just look at Ryse on Xbone as another example. Seems they are still defining the game play based on user feedback and we're a couple of months away from release. I've got the PS4 on pre-order but no games pre-ordered as i'll check out the review before buying - so far not impressed with what i've seen but will be patient for the final builds of all the games.

As a fan of Mortorstorm (which still looks fab today) i'm sure Evo will deliver on the polish. I'm hopeful on 60fps too.

p.s., think you've sparked some debate here! :)

Dory

Banned
1. You say that you understand software development being an iterative process, but then show no ability to apply this alleged "understanding" to the current situation. Forza's visual quality has been static from E3 to Gamescom, Driveclub made a massive step forward from E3 to Gamescom. One has clearly finished graphical polish and refinement while the other one clearly hasn't, which leads us to point number 2:

2. Why not wait and see what Driveclub's final framerate is? They say they're shooting for 60 fps. If they hit it doesn't that make Driveclub technically superior to Forza in every way by your own admission? Also, if they're shooting for 60 fps the current stable in-house build likely isn't running at 30 fps. The game's frame rate would need to be significantly higher than that for there to be any hope of achieving 60 fps for release. Knowing that they'll go with 30 or 60 (due to screen refresh cycles) if they in fact miss their 60 fps target shouldn't we be expecting visual enhancements across the rest of the game? One of their art staff specifically mentioned an internal debate on 30 v. 60, implying that technology and art assets are already in-place for them to shoot for a locked 30 with greater visual polish.

3. As for your "so much about a 50% more powerful GPU" comment, you do realize that Turn 10 is basically up-porting an existing engine from one API to it's direct predecessor, with an incredibly similar core design while Evolution is actually making a new engine on entirely different architecture than their previous efforts, right? And that Turn 10 is making an iterative sequel clearly re-using assets from it's previous titles while Evolution is making a game unlike anything they've ever made before starting from ground zero, right?

The fact that Driveclub bitch slaps Forza in everything but frame rate (with that still up in the air) is a pretty damning indictment as to the real hardware gap.

Digital Foundry has already released its verdict? They're definitely not slacking this generation

4. Lastly, I'd bet lighting will be the single biggest dividing visual feature in this next generation. Poly counts and texturing resources are at the limits of what the industry can afford to model and design. In-game dynamic processes, the most obviously of which being lighting, and how those play across the static art assets that compose the game's backbone, will be the true test of a game's visual fidelity.

Which makes getting 1080p at 60fps with comparable lighting quality except for the lack of dynamic reflections on all objects in the game a common sense trade off that Evolution chose not to go for. I will give them the benefit of the doubt based on what I've seen so far and say that they could probably have if they had chosen to. But it seems like we will never know for sure. Let's stay tuned :)

Which makes getting 1080p at 60fps with comparable lighting quality except for the lack of dynamic reflections on all objects in the game a common sense trade off that Evolution chose not to go for. I will give them the benefit of the doubt based on what I've seen so far and say that they could probably have if they had chosen to. But it seems like we will never know for sure. Let's stay tuned :)

Lightning being "comparable" is a bit of a stretch. It's much better in DC. Also, because of the nature of DCs lighting, you get to play the tracks at any time of day, which judging by those gifs looks to be quite the feature.

I think Forza 5 will still get a bit more oomph by its release, but Evolution studio's is the best Crow chef in the world, you're not the first person to have doubted one of their titles. I secretly think the studio as a collective just enjoys keeping the audience on the fence, then knocking it out of the park.

Theecliff

Banned

Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous - it's a launch game for christ's sake. If you really think any launch game is going to take full advantage of the hardware to capitalise on the power difference between the two consoles you're being a bit stupid. Even Cerny himself said it'll take a few years into the console's life before any developer makes the most out of the hardware.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Having read nearly all the posts in this thread I feel it boils down to:

Those who are happy with last gen in high resolution pick Forza
Those who want next gen pick Driveclub

That might sound harsh but I simply can't believe what I'm reading in this thread (which is supposed to be a Driveclub thread).

It's not even close:

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Kyleoty

Neo Member
You're probably thinking about the Test Drive: Lemans game for Dreamcast.
24 hr Day/Night cycle + weather changed

Love that Lemans game. Had Mid Ohio Raceway in it. Only 1 or 2 others have that amazing track. Would be a Deff DLC purchase if they came out for it with any of the Next Gen racers.

Dory

Banned
Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous - it's a launch game for christ's sake. If you really think any launch game is going to take full advantage of the hardware to capitalise on the power difference between the two consoles you're being a bit stupid. Even Cerny himself said it'll take a few years into the console's life before any developer makes the most out of the hardware.

Except we've heard "just wait until developers get a grasp of the PS3 architecture" for almost years" before they finally died down. Bethesda even saw its stock as a technical house plummet after Skyrim. I bet Violition is about to get the same treatment from Teraflops integrists because of Saints row 4.

Except we've heard "just wait until developers get a grasp of the PS3 architecture" for almost years" before they finally died down. Bethesda even saw its stock as a technical house plummet after Skyrim. I bet Violition is about to get the same treatment from Teraflops integrists because of Saints row 4.

? Guess you didn't play all those first party games on PS3 like Uncharted 2+3, Killzone 2+3, Motorstorm PR, Last of Us or WipeoutHD ... did you even own a PS3?

I don't think you could be any more transparent even if you tried.

Dory

Banned
Having read nearly all the posts in this thread I feel it boils down to:

Those who are happy with last gen in high resolution pick Forza
Those who want next gen pick Driveclub

That might sound harsh but I simply can't believe what I'm reading in this thread (which is supposed to be a Driveclub thread).

It's not even close:

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Those handpicked gifs put side by side must be the overall reason why DC won best racing game at Gamescon: http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/presse/presseinformationen/gc_pressinformationen.php?aktion=pfach&p1id=kmpresse_gamescom_e&format=html&base=&tp=k3content&search=&pmid=kmeigen.kmpresse_1377522498&start=0&anzahl=10&channel=kmeigen&language=e&archiv=

Top Bottom