• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Pics of Tomb Raider movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will they be able to market it well though? And what is the target audience?

Will they like a "woe is me", but killing-machine, down and gloomy serious survivalist film.

Looks low budget at first glance.

I'm a glass half full sort of guy so it looks like awesome cosplay.

Dommo

Why would Alicia Vikander want to be in this? An already well-established actress, capable --and appearing in-- far more interesting projects, and all she'll get out of it is judgmental nitpicking that she isn't physically appropriate for the role and soggy reviews.

She won't be flexing her acting muscles, she won't get any praise for the role and at worst it'll damage her career.

Matt

Why would Alicia Vikander want to be in this? An already well-established actress, capable --and appearing in-- far more interesting projects, and all she'll get out of it is judgmental nitpicking that she isn't physically appropriate for the role and soggy reviews.

She won't be flexing her acting muscles, she won't get any praise for the role and at worst it'll damage her career.
It pays well.

ItIsOkBro

a-list actors tryna be the ones to save video game movies is the new thing

Dommo

It pays well.

A healthy, long career in well received films probably pays better in the long run.

I mean, I'd understand if it was her starring in the biggest blockbuster, like Star Wars or something. Even if you're probably not going to be chewing on as interesting material and lose a degree of satisfaction, you'll be paid very well and it's generally considered to be a step 'up' for your career. Starring in a video-game film has never been a good move for anyone.

kswiston

The Original Tomb Raider launched Angelina onto the A-list when she was in a similar place career-wise, despite the fact that it had soggy reviews.

Arklite

Wonder if Camilla Luddington got a chance to audition. Movie adaptation are the sketchiest, hope they're aiming higher than delivering a carbon copy the game scenario.

Chumley

Banned
The comments mainly on gaming side but also some here criticizing Vikander for not being "big enough" or whatever is downright embarrassing.

Vikander is an Oscar winner. That's all that should matter here.

Totally miscasted. Bitch needs to eat a sandwich.

Like this. How is this not bannable? She is not your fucking servant, stick to your children's toys.

You hate when people have different opinions than you?

We hate when sexist disgusting pigs who don't even know who Vikander is past what she looks like come in and shit up threads. They have objectively gross opinions.

Finaika

Totally miscasted. Bitch needs to eat a sandwich.

You should eat a sandwich.

The comments mainly on gaming side but also some here criticizing Vikander for not being "big enough" or whatever is downright embarrassing.

Pretty interesting that both actresses that portrayed Laura on the big screen are Oscar winners.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

How is that embarrassing ?
Everyone has different expectations...and some of us would prefer roles like Lara Croft to not always be filled with the model type actors.

Did i miss something unique about TR and this casting that makes it different to every other movie adaptation ?
We hate when sexist disgusting pigs who don't even know who Vikander is past what she looks like come in and shit up threads. They have objectively gross opinions.

How does knowing Vikander would change the fact that he think the actress playing Lara should be heavier?

Chumley

Banned
Pretty interesting that both actresses that portrayed Laura on the big screen are Oscar winners.

It always amazes me the kind of talent video game films are able to pull, they're never well received critically and are inconsistent as hell in the box office.

Didn't even know that this was being made. Huh.

Anyway, I cannot imagine any possible circumstance where I would watch this. We'll see how it is, I suppose.

sleepykyo

Presumably for the payday. She'll be fine Angelina Jolie survived the previous Tomb Raider and Halle Berry survivived Catwoman.

RedAssedApe

Banned
you guys are weird lol...if anything she has the look of Lara from the reboot down pat. then again this reaction kind of mirrors the reaction some have towards the rebooted games

Alienfan

It's kind of funny how faithful it looks compared to other video game movies, when a Tomb Raider movie is one of the few adaptations people wouldn't mind if it was different from the source material

Don't know the actress, so maybe she'll kill it, but nothing about her screams Lara Croft for me. As others have said, it just looks like cosplay. I don't really have high (or any) expectations for a Lara Croft movie, though, so perhaps something a bit different is just the thing.

Chumley

Banned
How does knowing Vikander would change the fact that he think the actress playing Lara should be heavier?

I wonder what you could possibly be referring to when you say she should be heavier. I also wonder how that plays any significance whatsoever into her performance or her character.

Looks low budget at first glance.

These are set photos taken by someone with a DSLR, impossible to glean what these scenes will actually look like in the movie.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wonder what you could possibly be referring to when you say she should be heavier. I also wonder how that plays any significance whatsoever into her performance or her character.

You know what i mean but you are playing dumb for some reason. The same way Negan is in TWD is played by a great actor doesnt mean that a bulkier actor - more inline with the intimidating version of the comic books - would have been the better choice in my opinion.

And we had alot of people that wished for a heavier Negan in TWD...thats okay but if your you wish something similar for a Lara Croft adaptation you are a sexist ?

Not even bringing up the performance ( how would you judge that from 3 screens anyway ?)....just a first look impression - does she look like your perfect Lara adaptation - yes or no ? Its a no from me - that doesnt mean she cant play a great Lara with a solid performance in the movie.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Bitch needs to eat a sandwich.

555.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Don't know the actress, so maybe she'll kill it, but nothing about her screams Lara Croft for me. As others have said, it just looks like cosplay. I don't really have high (or any) expectations for a Lara Croft movie, though, so perhaps something a bit different is just the thing.
Go watch Ex Machina, do it now!

Tacitus_

I think she needs to work out and beef up a little. Maybe gain 5 pounds of muscle. She does not look like someone who can climb and do crazy shit that Laura Croft does.
You want slim physique for climbing. Less mass to haul up.
4977a0d1cdf53461d5816cffdf683be8.jpg

And it's Lara Croft.

methane47

You want slim physique for climbing. Less mass to haul up.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/77/a0/4977a0d1cdf53461d5816cffdf683be8.jpg

And it's Lara Croft.[/QUOTE]
The star vs the girl in your pic
Alicia Vikander
Height 5'6
Weight 117 lbs
[QUOTE]First pic didnt work
[IMG]http://photos.laineygossip.com/articles/michael-alicia-nyc-26jul16-10.jpg
Sasha deGuilian -
Height 5'2
Weight 97 lbs

Discuss

Slacker

That just doesn't matter at all. And it'd be a weird way to cast a movie. Ok folks for the role of our 20 year old woman abandoned on Jakku we're thinking either Daisy Ridley or Academy Award winner Michael Caine. I think we're going to have to go with the Oscar winner here!

Do you think it's possible to think Vikander is wrong for the role without being a sexist disgusting pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom