• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for Disney's Moana (dir. Ron Clements & John Musker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Appealing equally to the eyes, ears, heart and funny bone, Moana represents contemporary Disney at its finest — a vibrantly rendered adventure that combines state-of-the-art CG animation with traditional storytelling and colorful characters, all enlivened by a terrific voice cast. A delight.

Michael Rechtshaffen, The Hollywood Reporter

Walt Disney Animation Studios [delivers] a musical adventure that’s a worthy addition alongside “The Little Mermaid” and “Aladdin,” two now-classic cartoons also brought to life by directors John Musker and Ron Clements, whose gift for hand-drawn animation translates beautifully to the realm of CG here.

Peter DeBruge, Variety

Culturally accurate and with a pleasing ‘know who you are’ message, this South Pacific adventure tale nevertheless settles into empowerment cliches. ... Its cultural setting is fresh; its storytelling, less so. It navigates the reefs but it doesn’t discover a whole new world.

Steve Rose, The Guardian

Moana isn’t just another solid princess-specific adventure. It’s acknowledgment of Walt Disney using its awesome corporate power, either through outright original stories or using stories from other cultures, to craft yet another piece of potent and primal female-centric myth-making. That can be Disney’s legacy if they so choose. I’m a sucker for this sort of thing, provided it’s good. Moana is very good, and thus I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Scott Mendelson, Forbes

“Moana” does what it does so well that you wish its makers had imbued it with some X factor that separates the classics from the merely beloved. If you don’t mind Disney’s business as usual dressed up with a little hibiscus, then you’ll enjoy this latest journey of self-discovery.

Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

Moana has a lot of the hallmarks of your classic Disney adventure — the goofy animal sidekicks, the feel-good messages — but its heroine is something new, a smart and fiery deviation from your standard European lovestruck princesses. (Thankfully, Moana doesn’t have a love interest.) The result is a pitch-perfect addition to the animated Disney canon.

Devan Coggan, Entertainment Weekly

Glad to hear this is good. There were rumors recently were people said the movie might not be up to snuff; but thankfully, it's another great Disney movie in their recent run.

Ogodei

I'm surprised. I figured the polynesian theme would be a bit too obscure for folks. Though i suppose Disney made The Emperor's New Groove work.

Cautiously optimistic for this, as I wasn't in love with Frozen/BH6/Zooptia like everyone else. Looks pretty, regardless.

I don't really care for Disney's CG films, hope this one will change my mind. Having the Rock is a good step towards accomplishing that.

Fuck..FUCK..Rogue One was to be the only movie left this year. Fam is gonna wanna see this one too..

mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

Money money money..

We'll see if another Lone Ranger or TomorrowLand is released.

Damn shame lone Ranger was such a big l for them. Best live action Disney movie in a minute

Lilo and Stitch was just OK. This looks really good though. Music sounding great as well. Might even be better than frozen and tangled

J-Skee

Reviews looking solid.

I just watched Zootopia for the first time about two weeks ago & I've been meaning to ask this question: Has Disney Animation Studios surpassed Pixar in terms of quality?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Awesome to hear! After Zootopia I'm psyched to see this!

still want Zootopia to win the oscar though

"after" Zootopia? Disney (Feature Animation) has pretty much been on an unprecedented string of hits since Tangled. At the very least they should be tied with the early 90s renaissance.

Reviews looking solid.

I just watched Zootopia for the first time about two weeks ago & I've been meaning to ask this question: Has Disney Animation Studios surpassed Pixar in terms of quality?

ehh... consistent quality? Yes. However Inside Out and Finding Dory were both amazing. But then you have The Good Dinosaur, Monsters U and Brave which were "just" really good.

"after" Zootopia? Disney (Feature Animation) has pretty much been on an unprecedented string of hits since Tangled. At the very least they should be tied with the early 90s renaissance.
Agreed. Tangled, Frozen, Zootopia. All excellent films.

kunonabi

Cautiously optimistic for this, as I wasn't in love with Frozen/BH6/Zooptia like everyone else. Looks pretty, regardless.

I'm in the same boat. I want this to be good but I couldn't stand that those movies. I think I'll wait for my friend to see it with his kids and get his opinion before I decide to see it in theatres or not.

To this day I still can't get over Brave winning the Oscar over ParaNorman AND Wreck-it Ralph.

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

I mean the animation Oscar is probably the most worthless Oscar of them all (and that is saying a lot). I feel like every year we have a thread about how the majority of voters don't even watch the movies but are like - "hey it's Disney/Pixar, that must be best".

Zero315

Banned
Kubo is better :/
Funimation also announced today that Your Name. (AKA the film that dominated Japan's box office for over two months and has garnered tons of accolades) is also now in the running for best animated feature.

Looks like the race for that award is shaping up to be pretty damn good.
We all know Disney is gonna win because they don't actually bother to watch the animated films. :(

I already spent my movie budget this year on Civil War and Doctor Strange. 2016 is a good year for movies.

Now I have to wait for digital releases. :(

aadiboy

I mean the animation Oscar is probably the most worthless Oscar of them all (and that is saying a lot). I feel like every year we have a thread about how the majority of voters don't even watch the movies but are like - "hey it's Disney/Pixar, that must be best".
There was that one year where Spirited Away somehow won.

kswiston

There was a voter who admitted to letting their kid pick thst category in the past.

Zootopia is going to win this year. 8 people watched Kubo.

y2dvd

Reviews looking solid.

Nothing touches Golden Age Pixar but as far as lately, I would say yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom