• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana Will Be the First Disney Princess Without a Love Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

When Disney's Moana hits theater this fall, romance won't be a part of the storyline.

The Polynesian animated character will be the first Disney princess to not have a love interest, the film's directors John Musker and Ron Clements, confirmed on Thursday during a panel event at Comic-Con 2016.

"There is no romance in the movie," Musker said, explaining that Moana's story will focus on her own personal journey .

As the only daughter of a chief and navigation expert, 16-year-old Princess Moana Waialiki, sets sail for an unforgettable voyage in the South Pacific Ocean. Joining her on the trek are sidekicks Pua the pig and Hei Hei the chicken, along with the Demi-god Maui, voiced by Dwayne Johnson

http://www.etonline.com/news/193904_moana_will_be_the_first_disney_princess_without_a_love_interest/

Dennis

Banned
Did Elsa have a love interest?

And if they are so progressive how about a main character that isn't royalty?

Let them eat cake!

Merida? I know she had romances teased with the suitors, but she never got together with anyone. Or does her being Pixar cancel that out? She still is a Disney Princess I believe.

Apt101

Does Brave count? Merida didn't have one did she? I remember there being suitors but she didn't give a shit about them.

3N16MA

Banned
Merida? I know she had romances teased with the suitors, but she never got together with anyone. Or does her being Pixar cancel that out? She still is a Disney Princess I believe.

Even if she is technically a Disney princess they don't treat her like one. I think Disney forgot about her.

"As the only daughter of a chief and navigation expert, 16-year-old Princess Moana Waialiki, sets sail for an unforgettable voyage in the South Pacific Ocean."

So, she'll be actually doing shit like Mulan and not be some boring damsel in distress or doting on some stupid guy. Wow. Almost on Ghibli levels.

Even if she is technically a Disney princess they don't treat her like one. I think Disney forgot about her.

I believe she is.

It wouldn't matter. Romance is still a big part of the plot; Merida just chooses no one for her partner. It sounds like Moana just won't even go near that narrative.

Stulaw

Anna's the MC of Frozen, Elsa's just marketing material.

But yeah Merida didn't have a love interest, just suitors.

Then why did you name her Moana?

Seriously, I really appreciate Disney trying to diversify their character arcs. If she doesn't need one as the story necessitates, then SHE DOESN'T NEED ONE. Hollywood writers have a horrible habit of pushing both male and female protagonists in a love arc in genres where that type of thing just gets in the way

I know that there are some who kind of just randomly drift in and out of being considered one. I only really know because there was a point made when the movie came out of how she was a character from a Pixar movie who was also a Disney Princess. I know Brave was pretty forgettable for most people but I'm sure that hasn't changed.

Weirdly enough Wikipedia states her but not Elsa or Anna as those Disney truly consider. Are they not considered one?

Malyse

not a Disney Princess

Elsa
Merida

Does Brave count? Merida didn't have one did she? I remember there being suitors but she didn't give a shit about them.
Creators said that Mérida would eventually probably be with Young Macguffin
Isn't that..... Incest?

Christ! Lol
It was literally "an act of love"

also, this isn't just no love interest, but not romance subplot period, which is something that's never happened.

Malyse

I know that there are some who kind of just randomly drift in and out of being considered one. I only really know because there was a point made when the movie came out of how she was a character from a Pixar movie who was also a Disney Princess. I know Brave was pretty forgettable for most people but I'm sure that hasn't changed.

Weirdly enough Wikipedia states her but not Elsa or Anna as those Disney truly consider. Are they not considered one?

Elsa and Anna haven't had a coronation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPE5lVHucG4

It's a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom