• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oook so I guess I'm in the minority. Moana>Tangled>Frozen Frozen had some memorable songs and all but the plot was nothing we haven't seen before.

I'd go Tangled>Frozen>Moana. All of these are pretty by the books, Frozen sticks out because of the love between sisters twist and Moana because of skipping the romance altogether. Tangled has my favourite songs and characters though.

Moana has so few songs and aside from Shiny they do sound a bit samey at times, I think they are fantastic though.

Mistle

Man the more I listen to the soundtrack I feel it rises above Frozen and Tangled. Maybe it's just because I came straight off a Hamilton obsession but these songs are really striking a chord with me. I think Where You Are is my favourite atm.

empyrean

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. Loved it. Thought the visuals and animation was incredible, one of if not the best looking 3D animation I've seen.

Wasn't overly sure when watching the film about the music...but man a couple of songs have really stuck with me and now I love the soundtrack.

Shiny is a favourite, As is how far I'll go, you're welcome and we know the way.

This is the first movie my daughter (almost 3) has dived head first into being obsessed with. We saw it the week before Christmas and since then she has not stopped singing the songs (mostly You're Welcome and How Far I'll Go).

The soundtrack really is pretty great, and I loved how strong of a character Moana was.

If we're doing rankings I'd go Moana > Tangled > Frozen. Still think Wreck It Ralph is better than Tangled and Frozen, but kind of weird to compare that when WIR is not a musical.

Angel_DvA

Just finished it at the theater, it's a good movie, one of the best Disney but I have one major problem with the movie, too much songs, seriously, they're singing every 10 minutes, annoying.

Malyse

Just finished it at the theater, it's a good movie, one of the best Disney but I have one major problem with the movie, too much songs, seriously, they're singing every 10 minutes, annoying.

It's a musical. That's like complaining about the amount of action scenes in a superhero film.

mrkgoo

I kind of want to see this in 3D before it leaves the theatres. Not usually a fan of 3D, as I feel the loss of contrast and brightness offsets the gains.

But it seems like this film would lend well to it and I've seen it in 2D.

Oozer3993

Sing-along version hits theaters on the 27th. Available digitally February 21st, Blu-ray/DVD on March 7th. It appears that there will be a 3D Blu-ray in the US.

I kind of want to see this in 3D before it leaves the theatres. Not usually a fan of 3D, as I feel the loss of contrast and brightness offsets the gains.

The 3D was fairly good. Unfortunately, around here 3D showings dried up before Rogue One hit theaters.

mrkgoo

Sing-along version hits theaters on the 27th. Available digitally February 21st, Blu-ray/DVD on March 7th. It appears that there will be a 3D Blu-ray in the US.

The 3D was fairly good. Unfortunately, around here 3D showings dried up before Rogue One hit theaters.

Sweet, I haven't checked, very possibly it has here too, but Moan released AFTER Rogue One here.

I wonder if that means we'll get digital release after Feb 21 too though.... Dunno if I can wait that long...might have to dip into my US iTunes account....

empyrean

yeah I saw it in 2d but think 3D would have looked amazinf, got it preordered 3D bluray.

This film is probably disney's best CGI film they've done. Especially song wise. Story wise I probably like it a bit more then tangled (both are much better then frozen).

We Know the Way is the standout song for me, but You're Welcome & Shiny are pretty good too.

Sing along version... Frozen's one must have done well for them. Good way to squeeze some extra millions of this.

Would be nice to see it cross 300mm but that seems rather optimistic. Just kind of a bummer this didn't do as well as Frozen or Zootopia (but better than Tangled, Ralph or Big Hero 6 I believe).

Same there's only like 5 songs and then some reiterations.
I will say the pacing of the songs is much better than in past Disney musicals. Frozen had like 20* and then decides to stop being a musical in the last half hour. Tangled also only has a handful (maybe not sure how much they wanted to commit to a CGI musical).

I will say the pacing of the songs is much better than in past Disney musicals. Frozen had like 20* and then decides to stop being a musical in the last half hour. Tangled also only has a handful (maybe not sure how much they wanted to commit to a CGI musical).
Yeah Tangled only has 4 full fledged songs but I prefer them both in quality and they were meatier of sorts. Moana has a couple songs that are super short. I love We Know the Way but it's over way too fast.

Tangled is just the best though even after the age starts to show in the CG

Fliesen

Still don't like how many songs the movie has, more songs would have killed it, I think it's a good movie but we don't need all those songs crap.

then i guess 'classic' Disney movies simply aren't for you.

Moana had a minimum of original songs. The crab got one, Maori got one, Moana had 2 (one of them being pretty much a reprise of the 2nd), the Island folk had one, the ancestors had one.

The little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King all had way more original songs.
Frozen kinda went overboard. (like, who needed that Troll song or the 'we harvest ice cubes' tune)

then i guess 'classic' Disney movies simply aren't for you.

Moana had a minimum of original songs. The crab got one, Maori got one, Moana had 2 (one of them being pretty much a reprise of the 2nd), the Island folk had one, the ancestors had one.

Frozen kinda went overboard. (like, who needed that Troll song or the 'we harvest ice cubes' tune)
We harvest ice set a nice tone ease you into the movie and mood of the world.

I don't mind songs when they're toe-tappingly catchy and paired up with unique and trippy visuals. Fortunately, Moana excels in both areas. It might be one of the best animated musicals they've ever done.

Oozer3993

Dwayne Johnson posted a clip from a short to be included on the Blu-Ray on Twitter. Funnily enough, it seems to have a couple shots that were used in trailers and commercials.

Also, it's been confirmed that the US is getting the 3D Blu-ray! Along with that announcement, the special features were revealed:

• Theatrical Short Film: "Inner Workings" – With introduction by the filmmakers, is the story of the internal struggle between a man's pragmatic, logical side and his free-spirited, adventurous half. Created by a small team at Walt Disney Animation Studios in a unique, fast-paced style that blends CG and traditional hand-drawn animation, the short explores the importance of finding balance in daily life.
  • Maui Mini-Movie: "Gone Fishing" – When Maui decides it's time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways ... with a little help from her friends!
  • Voice of the Islands – An in-depth look at how Pacific Island people and cultures inspired the filmmakers to create the story of "Moana."
    Things You Didn't Know About ...
  • Meet the stars of "Moana" in this dynamic Q&A featuring Dwayne Johnson, newcomer Auli'i Cravalho, and famed animation directors Ron and John.
  • Meet the musical team behind "Moana" in this fascinating Q&A featuring Opetaia Foa'i, Mark Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
  • Island Fashion – Find out how costume designer Neysa Bové took on the unique challenge of creating costumes using materials and techniques native to the islands of Oceania.
  • They Know the Way: Making the Music of "Moana" – Musicians Opetaia Foa'I, Marc Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda take us on a personal journey through their involvement in the movie and how it changed their lives.
  • Fishing for Easter Eggs – Dive deep into the ocean and fish for the Easter Eggs hidden by the animators at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
  • The Elements of ... – This series of four mini-docs explores the technical achievements behind some of the ground-breaking effects used in the film.
    • Mini Maui – Meet "Mini Maui," Maui's tattoo sidekick. Animated by legendary hand-drawn animator Eric Goldberg, we explore how the 2D world collides with CG animation to bring the demigod's tattoos to life.
    • Water – In the movie, the ocean is a character. This piece explores how the water is given a personality, along with the technical feats of creating a believable ocean landscape farther than the eye can see.
    • Lava – Te Kā is a creature made of lava, smoke and fire. This piece dives into the challenges of making an animated creature of massive scale brought to fiery life by character, technical and effects animators.
    • Hair – One of the greatest technical achievements of the film was the animation of the beautiful, curly hair on Moana and Maui. Take a look at the hair-raising detail that goes into animating each strand, adding performance to the movie that has never been seen before.
  • Deleted Song: "Warrior Face" – With introduction by songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda.
  • Deleted Scenes – Ron and John introduce the following deleted scenes: Race the Wind/Ties that Bind; Discussing Moana's Future; Under the Sea; Grandmother's
  • Warning/Legend of Maui; Education of Moana; Father, Daughter, Boat; and Canoe Race.
  • Music Video: "How Far I'll Go" – Performed by Alessia Cara.
  • "How Far I'll Go Around the World" – Multi-language reel of the song "How Far I'll Go."
  • Audio Commentary – With directors Ron and John.

Korey

How good is this movie?

Do you think it has to be experienced in a theater, or is it ok for me to wait for the blu ray?

No spoilers please

Violet_0

Banned
it's obviously Tangled > Frozen > Moana and that's not even arguable. My first impression from the trailer of Moana was correct in that the movie would be rather forgettable. Enjoyable, but it hardly stuck with me. Frozen gets a bad rep but I can practically describe all the scenes in chronological order, and it's been a while since I watched it. Of the songs in Moana, Shiny is the only one that I'd consider memorable

for a new WDAS movie, this thread seems rather small, no?
How good is this movie?

Do you think it has to be experienced in a theater, or is it ok for me to wait for the blu ray?

No spoilers please
pretty good, not fantastic, I think you could probably wait for the blu-ray

wetwired

Dwayne Johnson posted a deleted scene from the movie on Twitter. Interestingly, it's fully animated. It also has numerous shots that were used in trailers and commercials.

• Maui Mini-Movie: "Gone Fishing" – When Maui decides it's time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways … with a little help from her friends!

That clip seems to be from the short film mentioned here

it's obviously Tangled > Frozen > Moana and that's not even arguable. My first impression from the trailer in Moana was correct in that the movie would be rather forgettable. Enjoyable, but it hardly stuck with me. Frozen gets a bad rep but I can practically describe all the scenes in chronologic order, and it's been a while since I watched it. Of the songs in Moana, Shiny is the only one that I'd consider memorable

Moana > Frozen > Tangled

Beefy

it's obviously Tangled > Frozen > Moana and that's not even arguable. My first impression from the trailer in Moana was correct in that the movie would be rather forgettable. Enjoyable, but it hardly stuck with me. Frozen gets a bad rep but I can practically describe all the scenes in chronologic order, and it's been a while since I watched it. Of the songs in Moana, Shiny is the only one that I'd consider memorable

Moana > Tangled > Frozen for me

Finally got around to seeing this. Went with my folks as we are all longtime Disney fans. Overall the movie was good but somewhat forgettable. Beautiful animation and style. Good characters and the Rock was great. The songs for the most part were fine in the moment but I don't think they stick with you after you leave the theatre like some of the past songs have.

We all kind of agreed that the entire segment with the giant enemy crab felt unnecessary and out of place compared with the rest of the film. It was fine on its own with some cool animation but stylistically it just didn't seem to fit in with everything else. Even Shiny, which none of us liked, doesn't stylistically jibe with the other songs in the movie.

One thing my mom hated was the jokey references to modern things in the film. I think Maui does this at several points. These anachronistic references don't bother me as they are quite common in animated films these days but it takes her out of the film. She pointed out she didn't like Hercules as much for the same reason which makes sense as it is by the same guys that did Moana.

mrkgoo

Finally got around to seeing this. Went with my folks as we are all longtime Disney fans. Overall the movie was good but somewhat forgettable. Beautiful animation and style. Good characters and the Rock was great. The songs for the most part were fine in the moment but I don't think they stick with you after you leave the theatre like some of the past songs have.

We all kind of agreed that the entire segment with the giant enemy crab felt unnecessary and out of place compared with the rest of the film. It was fine on its own with some cool animation but stylistically it just didn't seem to fit in with everything else. Even Shiny, which none of us liked, doesn't stylistically jibe with the other songs in the movie.

One thing my mom hated was the jokey references to modern things in the film. I think Maui does this at several points. These anachronistic references don't bother me as they are quite common in animated films these days but it takes her out of the film. She pointed out she didn't like Hercules as much for the same reason which makes sense as it is by the same guys that did Moana.
Yeah shiny did stick out.

As for the modern references, I usually don't like them too much either, as it means it makes it more difficult to achieve a sort of timeless, classic quality. It's a reason Zootopia will get dated at some point. Moana did keep it fairly minimal and was mostly part of Maui's personality more than anything.

this was amazing

i was genuinely getting my life

disney seriously needs to continue pushing for diversity like they have been with star wars and this

i think in terms of films, i would rank them moana = tangled > frozen, but musically frozen is still the best. i think moana's soundtrack isn't quite as strong as tangled and frozen, and especially doesn't really have that one "song" that is like whew

it's obviously Tangled > Frozen > Moana and that's not even arguable. My first impression from the trailer of Moana was correct in that the movie would be rather forgettable. Enjoyable, but it hardly stuck with me. Frozen gets a bad rep but I can practically describe all the scenes in chronological order, and it's been a while since I watched it. Of the songs in Moana, Shiny is the only one that I'd consider memorable
frozen completely collapses after the for the first time in forever reprise though.

Absolutely incredible. My favourite scene was the whole segment of Moana´s
departure, i was quite emotional when her mother helps her to pack up, and then full out crying when grandma dies and her spirit helps her get through the reef.

Full of life, great characters, strong female lead. So much more interesting than frozen and tangled, and the music felt like it wanted to honour a culture and be as colourful and inspiring as it could, instead of being formulaic pop shit like frozen's OST (save for Vuelie that's really beautiful).

While you guys are talking about home releases, this movie just premiered where I live and I went to see it right away. I had high hopes but wow it managed to exceed those handily.

The music was amazing, for starters. It had a good variation of styles, the only small let-down was How Far I'll Go which reminded me a lot of Million Voices from Eurovision a few years back, and wasn't as strong as Let It Go. The way they used that theme through the rest of the movie redeemed it a bit. My favorite songs were probably We Know The Way and Where You Are.

The characters were few but well realized, I liked all of them and totally bought pretty much every emotion they acted my way. I have to admit that I also teared up several times during the movie, especially during the scenes with the grandmother. The emotional beats hit really spot-on for me.

As far as Disney musicals go this was a return to 90s Disney goodness imo. Frozen had excellent music but the story wasn't strong all the way through, while Moana fired on all cylinders. Pixar used to be the leaders of animated movies for me but nowadays I'm actually more curious about what Disney will put out next. Until their next release I will probably rewatch Moana a few more times though!

Frozen's opening song is no different than Fathom's Below in The Little Mermaid or Arabian Night in Aladdin or Lilo and Stitch or Robin Hood or Sword in the Stone or like a million others. In fact, Frozen's opening song is my absolute favorite, followed by Fathom's Below and Two Worlds. The rest feel weird and quirky and not worth it. Olaf's is the worst followed by the trolls and then Anna's section in First Time in Forever.

I also love it when they use cultural songs like in Brother Bear, Lilo And Stitch, and now Moana.

Moana and Tangled beat out Frozen by a ten fold for me in the song selection. But I think Tarzan has the most good songs for an album overall. Meaning I'm more likely to listen to it beginning to end without skipping past something.

Just returned from seeing Vaiana (damn, it's confusing how everything had to be changed). And it's goddamn fantastic. Such a gorgerous movie. There are moments where it just lingers on a scene just to show off how beautiful it is.

I loved Vaiana herself, and Maui certainly was better than expected. Heihei was awesome, even if the idea got tired, the timing was just so good every time. I'm glad the pig wasn't really there, one sidekick is enough. And was I the only one thinking this had The Abyss influences with the water and the glowing manta and everything?

It ended up on a different year here in Europe, but it's so exciting being able to go to new Disney movies and being pretty damn certain that they will be awesome. Zootropolis was one of the best, if not the best movie last year, and this is a very strong contender.

Now listening to the soundtrack and I'll buy the Lego set tomorrow and I'll buy the 3D bluray day one. Might even revisit the cinema if someone else wants to see the English version.

Malyse

tumblr_okykh1zIaN1tb8alro1_400.gif

I'm guessing this won't release in 4K bluray. Damn it, Disney

Why do it now when they can sell it to you in 5 years for full price?

mrkgoo

Frozen's opening song is no different than Fathom's Below in The Little Mermaid or Arabian Night in Aladdin or Lilo and Stitch or Robin Hood or Sword in the Stone or like a million others. In fact, Frozen's opening song is my absolute favorite, followed by Fathom's Below and Two Worlds. The rest feel weird and quirky and not worth it. Olaf's is the worst followed by the trolls and then Anna's section in First Time in Forever.

I also love it when they use cultural songs like in Brother Bear, Lilo And Stitch, and now Moana.

Moana and Tangled beat out Frozen by a ten fold for me in the song selection. But I think Tarzan has the most good songs for an album overall. Meaning I'm more likely to listen to it beginning to end without skipping past something.

MY man! Love Tarzan, and everything about it, music, story, effects, animation, technology...

And yeah, not a huge fan of Frozen. IT's fiiiine, but not even great to me. the first song is actually pretty cool, and I like Let It go, but everything else is a bit too...."Story" like they don't work as actual songs as much as they are telling story, which is fine for the musical side of the movie, but when you just want to listen, it's not as cool.

For some reason, my daughter loves the opening to frozen too.

Musical openings are always kind of fun. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (after the prologue), Tarzan, Frozen....good stuff.

MY man! Love Tarzan, and everything about it, music, story, effects, animation, technology...

And yeah, not a huge fan of Frozen. IT's fiiiine, but not even great to me. the first song is actually pretty cool, and I like Let It go, but everything else is a bit too...."Story" like they don't work as actual songs as much as they are telling story, which is fine for the musical side of the movie, but when you just want to listen, it's not as cool.

Musical openings are always kind of fun. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (after the prologue), Tarzan, Frozen....good stuff.

I just bought the Frozen sound track. I did a trade in at FYE and it was the only Disney soundtrack that was worthwhile. The musical score is loads better than most of the lyric songs in the movie. I can't wait to get Moana on blu ray so I can overplay it forever.

CrisKre

Pocahontas opening is pretty fantastic too.

And I have to give a nod to Prince of Egypt and Hunchback here as well.

Yoritomo

The lava witch design is pretty intense for the super young crowd.

Friend's Kindergartner, who was watching it last night, couldn't make it past Te Ka.

valeo

This was kind of a weird movie to watch as it seemingly was just a mish mash of a whole lot of different Polynesian cultures - it's like white people just picking and choosing what they like.

When I was growing up, we learnt all about the legend of Māui (I'm from New Zealand) - so it was kinda fun seeing that on screen, though under the banner of 'random Polynesian thing' instead. Strange that Hina wasn't included.

It was also kind of strange that the Kakamora were depicted as 'coconuts' - as that is the most common racial slur used towards Polynesian people

I think the amulet/heart of Te Fiti was supposed to be greenstone/Pounamu?

Ah, It's just hard to shake the feeling that this was just white peoples view of Polynesia and that it is kind of degrading to just have it all be thrown in a blender.

I still think it's a good movie, mind you; just with some cultural cringe.

Just saw this. And I loved it. Best animated movie in years. So beautiful and great songs. So fresh. Much better than Frozen which I find kind of dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom