• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney releases first concept art for "Moana". It looks nothing like Wind Waker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
psQheYc.gif

Hang on, does that person have an otter AND a monkey?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They do have a film in 2015, it's called Zootopia.

Zootopia is slated for 2016 as well, their production pipelines are a little messed up right now. Likewise, Pixar sat this year out and has 2 for 2015 (The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out)

I don't understand, how do you determine the worldwide appeal of a film from a single piece of concept art? And its emotional complexity?

I'm not agreeing with him but there is more than "a single piece of concept art" to go on. Did you not read the OP?
In the ancient South Pacific world of Oceania, Moana, a born navigator, sets sail in search of a fabled island. During her incredible journey, she teams up with her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui, to traverse the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous sea creatures, breathtaking underworlds and ancient folklore.

“John and I have partnered on so many films—from The Little Mermaid to Aladdin to The Princess and the Frog,” said Clements. “Creating Moana is one of the great thrills of our career. It’s a big adventure set in this beautiful world of Oceania.”

“Moana is indomitable, passionate and a dreamer with a unique connection to the ocean itself,” Musker said. “She’s the kind of character we all root for, and we can’t wait to introduce her to audiences.”

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Doesn't look like windwaker.

The artstyle doesn't look the same. There's a boat and an island (y'know, where people tend to use boats a lot) and a design on the boat mast. The design on the boat mast is the only thing similar, and it's not like Nintendo invented painting symbols on boat masts.

I don't understand, how do you determine the worldwide appeal of a film from a single piece of concept art? And its emotional complexity?

I'm betting that because of the popularity of the Directors' most recent work, coupled with Frozen's huge success (which was mainly due to its accessibility), and the core concept of it being about 2 characters in a very specific setting.

Frozen had the simplicity going for it. Hell, look at the titles alone. Frozen by default wins right there as that word is a known quantity over the foreign word that this new movie is named after.

GorillaJu

Is this drawn/painted animation or does Disney just not do that anymore?

I might see it if so. Fuck Disney Princess movies, and fuck Frozen especially for that stupid song that every little kid in this country is always singing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom