• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

my parents got power back in bradenton already. so relieved at how clean we came out through all of this. i was terrified of the power potentially being out weeks.

Rain starting here, West of Birmingham. I imagine it to be just 20 hours of rain.

Yeah, raining in Tuscaloosa, Alabama here. Apparently just rain with some minor winds on our end so University didn't cancel classes.

I hope everyone in Florida and Georgia are doing okay.

GodofWine

A few days of a hurricane and everything turns into The Last of Us. Nice.

”There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy." - Alfred Henry Lewis 1906

After nine meals missed, and with no certainty of food supply kicking back in, people WILL commit crimes for food, not for gas, or power, or shoes, or clothes, but food yes. (in current US disaster situations there is not a thought that food will NOT come back though - not yet at least)

Humans have survived millennia without most things, food and water are not those things.

I still won't fully be out of the red until tonight, but from the looks of it, I'm mostly making it out of Irma unscathed here in Tallahassee. Even got a text from my Supervisor because it looks like FSU plans to reopen the main Library campus and they were looking for some workers to come in.

so what was the reason that it weakened faster than expected? was it just because of cuba, or did it not restrengthen as much as expected in the water between cuba and florida?

Palm bay FL here. Lost power right before midnight and still isn't back up. No damage to my house and all my family is safe. I don't see any significant damage to none of my neighbors houses.

III-V

so what was the reason that it weakened faster than expected? was it just because of cuba, or did it not restrengthen as much as expected in the water between cuba and florida?

We haven't really heard a post-mortem yet, but from what I heard from Dr. Postel (IIRC), was that there was an incredible amount of high altitude wind shear, which basically sheared off the southwestern side of the storm shortly after landing as a Cat 4.

From there, it rapidly deteriorated to a Cat 2 within maybe less than 6 hours due to the influx of dry air.

It also gained a lot of speed, going from its low of 6 mph in the straights to over 12 as it entered into FL.

MrNelson

Banned

A combo of Cuba, making landfall a bit further to the South than expected, and moving North longer than expected, keeping the center farther inland than anticipated.

GodofWine

Lingered over Cuba a little longer than usual, and never quite got back into 'perfect' structure, then it made more of a landfall than thought as it went east of Tampa.

All in all, it was still huge, basically ALL of Florida got hit by a hurricane for 2 days. The damage is yet to be seen. TV reporters, while they stand in the wind, do so in safe places, you don't see roofs flying off where they go.

And the Keys are f'd.

Durden77

3WyWMAD.png

God I hate when CNN does this type of all caps headline crap. It's like they're treating this shit like some type of sport. This just screams "LOOK THIS SHIT IS SO INTENSE IT WASN'T OVERHYPED LIGHTS OUT MOTHER FUCKER"

I mean I don't think it was overhyped, I don't care what ends up happening it's always better to be safe, but shit like this doesn't help when it comes to some public perception.

In Jacksonville, Florida. My apartments lost power around 5am and it been off since. Our entire neighborhood has no power. But up the block, businesses got power. A liquor store was open and a gas station was open. It was cars and people lined up out the door to get ice and gas and other supplies. Got full bars on cell coverage though. If I had a charged. I'd probably Bing watch a few shows on my phone.

Brinbe

All things considered shit could have been way worse.

Let's hope Jose isn't a problem either

And CNN was pathetically bad. They were sensationalistic instead of informative. Horrible source of news at this point.

Finally out of disaster duty at work. Playing in some puddles with the truck on the way home. Loads of traffic lights are out and roads under water.

RDreamer

God I hate when CNN does this type of all caps headline crap. It's like they're treating this shit like some type of sport. This just screams "LOOK THIS SHIT IS SO INTENSE IT WASN'T OVERHYPED LIGHTS OUT MOTHER FUCKER"

I mean I don't think it was overhyped, I don't care what ends up happening it's always better to be safe, but shit like this doesn't help when it comes to some public perception.

I literally don't understand this at all. You have a problem with a news organization using a headline? This is one of the most important stories for the country right now. You'd be fine with them highlighting some sports bullshit as one of the most important stories of the country but when a significant portion of an entire state is wholloped by a hurricane and most are without power you want them to downplay that? Shouldn't we be talking about real news (this) and less about sports and shit?

Still no power where I'm at in Tallahassee. Outside of some strong winds every now and then, seems like we avoided any major damage.

I did see a picture of a tree that fell down near Blairstone and Mahan.

Phones about to die so this will be my last post until we get power back.

I literally don't understand this at all. You have a problem with a news organization using a headline? This is one of the most important stories for the country right now. You'd be fine with them highlighting some sports bullshit as one of the most important stories of the country but when a significant portion of an entire state is wholloped by a hurricane and most are without power you want them to downplay that? Shouldn't we be talking about real news (this) and less about sports and shit?

He's saying using a semi-joke as a headline is offensive.

cntr

Banned
The issue isn't that they're reporting it, it's that they're reporting it in such a sensational way. "Lights Out" is the tagline for a movie, not a report of the facts.

Compare the BBC and NPR's lead headline:

Ponn

Banned
Our parking lots flooded about halfway up the tires. We had some water get in and one of the bedrooms had a leak in the ceiling.

I still can't get a hold of my sister in Bonita, her phone keeps going to voicemail.

that headline does seem a bit too cute for the situation

Retro

My dumb ass dad spent the night in a mobile home in Lake County, which had at least one tornado warning and was right under the eyewall around 2am. All he ended up with was a broken window when part of his air conditioner broke off and hit his sunroom. He's heard he'll be without power for two days.

It's frustrating as hell because every year I tell him to get his emergency kit together, and every time there's a hurricane I tell him to get ready and keep an eye on things. And every fucking time he never fucking does, dismissing my warnings and assuming he can get by on a 6-pack of iced tea and a box of raisin bran. One flashlight, no weather radio, can't even be asked to know where his local shelter is, I have to look it up for him.

Now he's gone through one, and of course he came out the other side with nary a scratch. On one hand, I'm glad nothing happened to him, but on the other this means he's just going to treat the next hurricane as no big deal and be completely insufferable about preparing.

Took him all of 4 years being down there to become the stereotypical asshole who ignores all the warnings.

Durden77

You're missing what I'm saying. Of course this should be the biggest story everywhere right now. It's not what they're covering, it's how they're covering it. They're covering it LIKE it's a sport, and not a national disaster. It comes off as very sensationalist. CNN is known to do this shit, the treated the election like it was a boxing match.

Also I don't care about sports. Maybe that's the reason why I dislike this so much.

III-V

The issue isn't that they're reporting it, it's that they're reporting it in such a sensational way. "Lights Out" is the tagline for a movie, not a report of the facts.

Compare the BBC and NPR's lead headline:

BBC and NPR are the news. CNN is hot take trash comparatively.

My dumb ass dad spent the night in a mobile home in Lake County, right under the eyewall around 2am. All he ended up with was a broken window when part of his air conditioner broke off and hit his sunroom. He's heard he'll be without power for two days.

It's frustrating as hell because every year I tell him to get his emergency kit together, and every time there's a hurricane I tell him to get ready and keep an eye on things. And every fucking time he never fucking does, dismissing my warnings and assuming he can get by on a 6-pack of ice tea and a box of raisin bran. One flashlight, no weather radio, can't even be asked to know where his local shelter is.

Now he's gone through one, and of course he came out the other side with nary a scratch. On one hand, I'm glad nothing happened to him, but on the other this means he's just going to treat the next hurricane as no big deal and be completely insufferable about preparing.

Took him all of 4 years being down there to become the stereotypical asshole who ignores all the warnings.

jesus christ, just be glad your dad is okay

Starting to get the first bands of serious wind in Atlanta.
Branches are starting to get blown off in my neighborhood
Power has been browning out intermittently for about 3 hours.

III-V

How the fuck does the wind just break the asphalt???

It doesn't. That happens from runoff. From the looks of it, the pipe may not have been sealed properly, and the water simply eroded the earth around it quickly enough to have it all slide away. This roadwork sand and fill really has to be properly tamped and strapped, or you get stuff like this under heavy rain runoff.

My dumb ass dad spent the night in a mobile home in Lake County, which had at least one tornado warning and was right under the eyewall around 2am. All he ended up with was a broken window when part of his air conditioner broke off and hit his sunroom. He's heard he'll be without power for two days.

It's frustrating as hell because every year I tell him to get his emergency kit together, and every time there's a hurricane I tell him to get ready and keep an eye on things. And every fucking time he never fucking does, dismissing my warnings and assuming he can get by on a 6-pack of iced tea and a box of raisin bran. One flashlight, no weather radio, can't even be asked to know where his local shelter is, I have to look it up for him.

Obviously he should prepare a bit better. Even minor storms can knock the power out for a couple of weeks. On the other hand, mobile homes still have required building codes to meet. There's many older mobile home communities, but newer ones have rigid codes to help mitigate the impact of a hurricane.

p2535748

Saw drone footage of Naples just now, it is ravaged.

Heard on npr this morning that the virgin islands were torn apart as well.

So, from what I'm reading, parts of Naples (especially smaller houses/trailers) were ravaged, but most larger/more permanent structures made it through okay. Not trying to minimize anything, but the damage I've seen of Naples doesn't compare to the Virgin Islands.

Here's the footage I saw. Again, I'm not trying to diminish this, just saying that it's not complete devastation all over the city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eJbe5GyDo

Top Bottom