• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

The worst part is that we have Scott in power who is doing his best to destroy the safety mechanism we have in place

Please people, vote him out

Scott is term limited. And will be out no matter what. But maybe don't vote him into the Senate or bring in a new governor that is supported by him.

IrishNinja

ima be either on my 17th floor apt or at the hurricane center, so i'm not too worried...but if i was still living on the beach, you're damn straight i would be

No liberty city is the one in New York. Vice city is the one in Florida

right right, always mix those up

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Been in Florida since 2014, so it seems like this might be my first real Hurricane living here. Hopefully things don't get too bad in the Orlando area.

Piano

Banned
Hurricanes are bullshit, but as long as you prepare ahead of time, gather necessary supplies, and follow emergency instructions you'll be fine.

Whether or not there's an evacuation, gather anything important (documents, computer drives, supplies) all in one place so you can grab them and go if the need. Look at resources online for the best way to protect any personal property you might be leaving behind. If you have to evacuate, try and be patient with others around you.

Wouldn't hurt to have an evacuation plan just in case.

Thanks. I'm going to decide on Wednesday or Thursday whether to head up to my parents place in the Panhandle. Plus side of only moving here for a short period of time is that I didn't bring all that much stuff with me - I'd basically just need to pack up my bedroom.

And thank God for online backups. All important files are on the cloud.

I'm less worried about my personal safety than just a general worry about damage to this area and Florida generally / loss of life. I've got loads of friends all around the state, most of them in central and south Florida. Scary stuff.

I've already gotten enough water for my roomate and I for three days, a flashlight, candles, portable charger, dry foods, ice, cooler, etc. I've got a plan of when and where I'm going if I need to. I'm going to call my apartment complex's office tomorrow to see if they're planning on sand-bagging or boarding windows.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

IrishNinja

as a mostly lifelong FL resident: boy wouldn't it be great if this thing didn't absolutely ruin us but instead propelled more of the state to take climate change matters seriously, and then maybe the FL DNC somehow transformed into something that wasn't such a bad joke we'd not seen a dem governor since the early 90s, even with the GOP running the biggest medicare fraud huckster and oh man i can't even finish this post

WillyFive

as a mostly lifelong FL resident: boy wouldn't it be great if this thing didn't absolutely ruin us but instead propelled more of the state to take climate change matters seriously, and then maybe the FL DNC somehow transformed into something that wasn't such a bad joke we'd not seen a dem governor since the early 90s, even with the GOP running the biggest medicare fraud huckster and oh man i can't even finish this post

Rick Scott will be the first to say that this has nothing to do with climate change and that the left is politicizing tragedy.

Jotaka

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

- First-aid kit
- pre-defined meeting place (outside risk zone) in case of emergency (lack of means of communication = phone) <- most important
- secure objects, remove objects from places where wind can hit
- fill bathtube with clean water
- set your refrigerator to the MAX to minimize spoilage in case of blackout
- move/park your car to high ground before any possibility of flood (avoid using car at dark, you can't see what is the real water level)

gdt

So I literally fly out to Miami in 2 days for a week vacation.....booked it maybe 2 months ago......

Fuck me.

I'm hoping it veers off. Please. First time I'm flying out for vacation.

witness

So I literally fly out to Miami in 2 days for a week vacation.....booked it maybe 2 months ago......

Fuck me.

Cancel that shit, not worth the risk. If it's a direct hit you most likely won't be leaving FL as scheduled.

Snaku

Banned

Fuck me.

Dude, you need to plan to do something else.

Jotaka

Fuck me.

So my Mom is flying out to Cape Coral on Thursday. Should I try and convince her to cancel? :(

Cancel, all the area will be mess don't matter what. Even if it don't direct hit the area, all services like transportation of goods will be disrupted for awhile.

These natural disasters sure are hitting conservative states hard. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I am certain the moderator who banned you explain why but I like to reiterate for the record because someone failed you in your understanding of science along the way in life.

Tropical storms spawn on the southwest tip of Africa and cross the Atlantic Ocean toward the US, attracted by warm weather, the Gulf of Mexico makes for an ideal hurricane path as they gather strength. This was true before 1775 and it is true today.

My parents live in Mobile. If a hurricane is threatening Florida then that means they could be in its path. Excuse me while I call my mom.

III-V

Fuck me.

You should seriously reconsider

Models have Jose developing right behind Irma. I really hope that one goes out to sea. Relief funding is going to be stretched as it is after Harvey and now Irma back to back. Not good at all.

Mr. Hyde

Been in Florida since 2014, so it seems like this might be my first real Hurricane living here. Hopefully things don't get too bad in the Orlando area.

I'm in Orlando too. People are already stocking up on water like crazy at Whole Foods. I'm hoping it skips us like last year. Stay safe.

We're going to Disney next Tuesday...anyone know how they deal with this stuff there? I'm guessing since it's inland, it will just be a lot of rain...

Are projections pointing at this to be a fast moving storm at least? Or will it stall? Want the least amount of time at high winds as possible....

Not supposed to stall, but you never know with these things. Nothing like Harvey will happen though as there are very much upper level steering winds involved with this one.

Fuck me. We are all packed and everything. We've been looking forward to this so much.

I don't know what to do. We are supposed to fly back Monday. This is just the worst.

I know you're looking forward to it, but what you should do it call your airline and see if you can book another flight due to these extreme circumstances.

It could be worse: you could live in Florida as I do and be stuck here no matter what. You're not going to be able to enjoy your vacation whatsoever if you were in Miami through Monday.

Pesmerga00

I am certain the moderator who banned you explain why but I like to reiterate for the record because someone failed you in your understanding of science along the way in life.

Tropical storms spawn on the southwest tip of Africa and cross the Atlantic Ocean toward the US, attracted by warm weather, the Gulf of Mexico makes for an ideal hurricane path as they gather strength. This was true before 1775 and it is true today.

My parents live in Mobile. If a hurricane is threatening Florida then that means they could be in its path. Excuse me while I call my mom.

The post you are responding to is ridiculous.

Let's wish destruction and death on people who may, or may not, have a similar political outlook as me. FFS

AmyS

My brother and I are still in Miami. His wife had planned to fly here Tuesday morning/afternoon. Obviously that's out of the question and now both he and I are trying to get a flight home to Chicago instead.

witness

Fuck me. We are all packed and everything. We've been looking forward to this so much.

I don't know what to do. We are supposed to fly back Monday. This is just the worst.

Yeah you would certainly be stuck there. You wouldn't have any fun because the stress and anxiety of something this powerful barreling toward and there's not a damn thing you can do about it is overwhelming and all consuming.

Are projections pointing at this to be a fast moving storm at least? Or will it stall? Want the least amount of time at high winds as possible....

Not supposed to stall, but you never know with these things. Nothing like Harvey will happen though as there are very much upper level steering winds involved with this one.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So glad my wife changed our connecting flight to Peru from Miami to Dallas 2 days ago. We have been planning this trip for years and a lot of our tour bookings are nonrefundable.

Best of luck to you all in Florida.

gaiages

Banned
I'm in the Panhandle so I SHOULD be fine, but shit you never know.

I'm really hoping the hurricane will veer off or something, though. We don't need a second devastating hurricane :(

Makki

No way to tell if it hits or not this early. Just get some water and canned stuff and be merry for now.

Lkr

Getting nervous. In Orlando until Saturday morning. Wondering if we'll have to leave Friday instead. Looks like the model has it being in South Florida Saturday morning so I think if we head north early Saturday we'll he fine?
If you're leaving Saturday you'll prob be fine unless you're going further south. Honestly, Orlando is inland enough that you don't have to worry about surge whatsoever and flooding will be dependent on where you live. When we got slammed by 3 in a month back in 04 most of the damage in Orlando was wind related iirc.

And I know everyone across the country is in panic mode after Harvey, but I just don't see the need to worry this far out. Not saying you shouldn't be prepared, but you just get used to the potential of a storm hitting after living in Florida for so long.

If you're leaving Saturday you'll prob be fine unless you're going further south. Honestly, Orlando is inland enough that you don't have to worry about surge whatsoever and flooding will be dependent on where you live. When we got slammed by 3 in a month back in 04 most of the damage in Orlando was wind related iirc.

And I know everyone across the country is in panic mode after Harvey, but I just don't see the need to worry this far out. Not saying you shouldn't be prepared, but you just get used to the potential of a storm hitting after living in Florida for so long.

The guy I know is on vacation at DisneyWorld until the 11th.

How do you think he'll be?

Piano

Banned
- First-aid kit
- pre-defined meeting place (outside risk zone) in case of emergency (lack of means of communication = phone) <- most important
- secure objects, remove objects from places where wind can hit
- fill bathtube with clean water
- set your refrigerator to the MAX to minimize spoilage in case of blackout
- move/park your car to high ground before any possibility of flood (avoid using car at dark, you can't see what is the real water level)

Roger on most of those.

The only room in my apartment with no windows is my bathroom, so I suppose I'll pile stuff in there.

And there's no such thing as "high ground" in central Orlando. It's flatter than flat.

Has there been a sudden increase in natural disasters/episodes? First Harvey and now the heat in california then this? Doesn't sound like much I guess but its still more then last year I'm guessing.

WillyFive

Has there been a sudden increase in natural disasters/episodes? First Harvey and now the heat in california then this? Doesn't sound like much I guess but its still more then last year I'm guessing.

The instances of stuff like this being more severe will increase over time due to climate change, but it is a gradual one.

Lkr

The guy I know is on vacation at DisneyWorld until the 11th.

How do you think he'll be?
Do you know if he's staying at an actual Disney resort? If so, there is no better place to be during a hurricane really. They transform the hotel into a party and provide entertainment to keep everyone occupied and calm
If the storm doesn't actually hit the area, the parks will remain open.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Cancel. Trust me, you do not want to be down there if this goes the way they are projecting it could. No vacation is worth traveling into the center of a potential Cat 5 hurricane. Unpack and stay home, take a vacation another time or go far away from the storm's path, trust me.

I'm in the Panhandle so I SHOULD be fine, but shit you never know.

I'm really hoping the hurricane will veer off or something, though. We don't need a second devastating hurricane :(

Yeah I'm praying we don't end up with it in Pensacola. Already having Ivan flash backs. We had to ride Ivan out in our hallway while multiple tornado's ripped up our neighborhood. By some miracle our house only had some minor damage but some of our neighbors were not so lucky. We aren't anywhere near the water and not really in a flood zone (fairly high ground for this county) so there's that but we have lots of giant trees in our neighborhood and one in our back yard thats dead and very very tall. (cost like 6k to have it removed insurance won't do anything till it falls)

DJ Gunner

The post you are responding to is ridiculous.

Let's wish destruction and death on people who may, or may not, have a similar political outlook as me. FFS

Imagine hearing your business partner (who I inherited- long story) tell her church friend that she "hears Irma will devastate the East Coast, but you and I know why that happens, so I'm okay with it".

Top Bottom