• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

We are as awful as Arsenal this season. I, now, have discovered that I am a masochist supporting Everton.

Bloody hell.

EDIT: and then came Jagielka...

zomgbbqftw said:
I would say €80m operating profit is pretty fucking good by anyone's standard. That net profit is €50m means they are leaking money elsewhere and they shouldn't be.

I don't think anyone can come in here and claim Arsenal are a money losing club, they aren't. They are the most profitable football club in the EPL and possibly the world. Strict wage structures and cut price investment in the squad coupled with selling the star players has made them a lot of money.

Firstly how about you quote some more updated figures - like the fact they recorded a loss in their last half-annual report.

Secondly is €50m enough to finance an NFL, NBA, NHL and a MLS team is it?

I suppose his interests in TV, sports and Wal-Mart are just income streams he uses for going to the track.

Here's a clue: Arsenal have had exactly the same business model for the same 5 years ago. Before Kroenke.

Clegg

offshore said:
"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger after his side's 4-3 defeat by Blackburn: "We had so many chances in the game and on top of that we scored two own goals so it is unbelievable to understand, but we have to take it on the chin. At the moment defensively we are fragile because our confidence is gone due what happened at Old Trafford.""
No Arsene, you are not defensively fragile because of whwt happened at Old Trafford.

You are defensively fragile because your defence is shit.

Clegg said:
No Arsene, you are not defensively fragile because of whwt happened at Old Trafford.

You are defensively fragile because your defence is shit.

And pure bad luck. 2 own goals? Against BLACKBURN? I'd wager that probably hurts more than the Trafford Spank.

faridmon

Jagielka is playing great today. few blocks today and a goal to boost. a great rebuttal from his weaker games earlier in the season.

Clegg

bonesmccoy said:
And pure bad luck. 2 own goals? Against BLACKBURN? I'd wager that probably hurts more than the Trafford Spank.
Arsenal conceeded 2 own goals because their defendrs didnt know what they were doing inside their own box. Yes they were unlucky but blame must be sttributed to their poor defending also.

Vermaelen is Arsenals only good defender. I'm not convinced on Mertesacker. He's strong and a a good ball stopper but he is as agile as a sloth. Players who make quick and intellegent runs into the box will destroy him.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Firstly how about you quote some more updated figures - like the fact they recorded a loss in their last half-annual report.
)
Secondly is €50m enough to finance an NFL, NBA, NHL and a MLS team is it?

I suppose his interests in TV, sports and Wal-Mart are just income streams he uses when he goes to the track.

Here's a clue: Arsenal have had exactly the same business model for the same 5 years ago. Before Kroenke.

It's plenty finance losses from certain areas of his business that aren't doing as well as he would like.

He's married into the Walton family, sure, but I'm almost certain that his and his wife's investments are kept separate. Also, I don't think a local sports network really counts as a real venture, it was used to raise prices for television rights.

I haven't done the necessary legwork on Kroenke (I have many, many other priorities at work right now with the Greece crash and EU stuff) but I remember looking him up when he bought his majority stake in Arsenal and none of his business interests made as much money as Arsenal.

On Arsenal having small losses, well that was down to less player sales vs the season before (which has now been rectified since the sales of Fabregas and Nasri vs Ade and Toure the season before) and two deferred home matches according to the Guardian. It also doesn't make a dent on the amount of money Arsenal have in equity which is up YoY by over 10%.

Honestly the biggest loss for Arsenal in the coming years is that Highbury Square will be completely sold and the problem is that the market downturn has probably reduced their sale price by enough to make a dent in their profits for this year and last year.

Anyway, you talk about trends, Arsenal's trend is one of profit, one half of a small loss doesn't strike me as something to worry about.

BREAKING NEWS: Malaga have reached agreement with Real on a deal for CB Raul Albiol to join in January on a 3-year deal (via @ChristianMcr)

Source is reliable. Good deal for Malaga if it happens.

Labadal

Dark Machine said:
BREAKING NEWS: Malaga have reached agreement with Real on a deal for CB Raul Albiol to join in January on a 3-year deal (via @ChristianMcr)

A really good signing for Malaga (as you said).

zomgbbqftw said:
It's plenty finance losses from certain areas of his business that aren't doing as well as he would like.

He's married into the Walton family, sure, but I'm almost certain that his and his wife's investments are kept separate. Also, I don't think a local sports network really counts as a real venture, it was used to raise prices for television rights.

I haven't done the necessary legwork on Kroenke (I have many, many other priorities at work right now with the Greece crash and EU stuff) but I remember looking him up when he bought his majority stake in Arsenal and none of his business interests made as much money as Arsenal.

On Arsenal having small losses, well that was down to less player sales vs the season before (which has now been rectified since the sales of Fabregas and Nasri vs Ade and Toure the season before) and two deferred home matches according to the Guardian. It also doesn't make a dent on the amount of money Arsenal have in equity which is up YoY by over 10%.

Honestly the biggest loss for Arsenal in the coming years is that Highbury Square will be completely sold and the problem is that the market downturn has probably reduced their sale price by enough to make a dent in their profits for this year and last year.

Anyway, you talk about trends, Arsenal's trend is one of profit, one half of a small loss doesn't strike me as something to worry about.

Hey you made the ridiculous statement Kroenke is using profit from Arsenal to finance his US sporting teams.....and now you're covering it up by bombarding me with verbage and more incredulous claims. Stop wasting my time.

GorillaJu

Nice. Dyer scored. He's on my FPL team, but benched. Fucking Walcott, had to make sure I didn't get those points, instead just the one from his 27 ineffectual minutes.

Splatt

No clean sheet for me this week. Thanks L. Best, you gigantic asshole
LLShC.gif

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Jeff Albertson said:
Is getting booked for celebrating with your own fans the worst rule in the game? For me it is
Close call between that and the one for taking your shirt off without a t-shirt underneath.

MPW

Dark Machine said:

for 80m right?

anything below we got mugged :p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sage00 said:
Close call between that and the one for taking your shirt off without a t-shirt underneath.

Hey I learned from my local league (MLS) that you still carded for taking off the jersey while wearing another one underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom