• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Verano said:
Can any MLS fans adopt this poor kid from the barrio? He's good at pessimism and self-deprecation. Shit give him a nads jersey and he'll make love to it.

I rather be naked than wear a USMNT jersey.

Verano said:
Anyways, Im sure mexican teams got paid to suck cuz either they dont their money's worth or CONCACAF mandated that Mexican teams should lose to give other CONCACAF clubs a chance to rise. OR mexican teams adopted Regulus Tera's malinche ways thus becoming bipolar dickwads when it came to win CCL games.

There shouldn't be a rivalry between Mexico and the rest of the CONCACAF teams, there should be a paternity.

I'm sorry, but Pumas, Monterrey, and Santos have been crap. Maybe it's just them not taking the tournament seriously, but all they are doing is letting the name of Mexican football down. That's what irks me.

neoanarch

Regulus Tera said:
I rather be naked than wear a USMNT jersey.

There shouldn't be a rivalry between Mexico and the rest of the CONCACAF teams, there should be a paternity.

I'm sorry, but Pumas, Monterrey, and Santos have been crap. Maybe it's just them not taking the tournament seriously, but all they are doing is letting the name of Mexican football down. That's what irks me.

Pumas is hampered by squad deficiency and Monterrey and Santos just had a bad match. De Nigris is coming back from injury and Suazo looked like he just didn't care. I didn't see the Santos match but they played with backups and after last weeks incident its almost understandable they had a shit match. I do gripe about Mexican sides not taking CONCAChampions seriously but with no Cups in mexican football it is a great tourney to let reserve and youth players get some competitive minutes. The DTs just need to learn when to do it and when to risk a league match.

What the press attributes to Nasri...

Soccernet said:
Nasri: I moved to City for fans

And what he actually said...

Sam Nasri said:
Arsenal have good fans but not that passionate since they moved from Highbury to the Emirates. I remember when we played against City, when we lost 3-0, the crowd was amazing.

That is what I want. When you play football it is for a good atmosphere.

Kozak

Banned
Take Fenerbahce out of Champions League due to match fixing allegations, put in Trabzonspor who is also facing match fixing allegations.

TFF fuck yeah!

Mastadon

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
You only post to trash City. You mad bro?

In other news, City's youth development team had a great win this morning. They started off slow and looked shaky at the back with such an inexperienced and youthful team, but they managed to pull together and finish off with a great win. Final score:

Arsenal 2 - Udinese 1.
Oh Kermit, perfection!

Hopefully Coates will be announced soon. Exciting signing.

Fady K

Salazar said:
That's a bit of a given.

Likewise Wenger when we obliterate his crèche this weekend.

I expect nothing short of obliteration :p

flintstryker said:
Just let Modric come to us Harry and then use to money to help strengthen your squad.

BTW rumors are spreading that Chelsea are STILL not giving up and will increase the bid by 5 million - 35 million overall. CRAZY if true. Mata was 23 Million for God's sake :p

Edit - Aaaand an article has appeared!

Fady K

bonesmccoy said:
Harry won't be able to sign a similarly talented player, that's the problem.

I don't know why Levy and Harry didn't let Luka go as soon as he became unsettled. It's not as if he's agitating for a higher contract, he simply does not want to play for them anymore. It's a complete disaster now for both player and club. Do they really think that blocking him from playing with Croatia is going to mend the bridges?

Harry has doubts it seems, but Levy thinks that this is the way to go. He is literally being FORCED to stay.

Dibbz

This has probably already done the rounds here but whatever.

2lb0zsn.jpg

Fady K

Tottenham play Hearts today for the second leg of at the Europa League. I wonder if Modric will take part in that. If he does, then that will definitely signal the end of the Chelsea transfer saga
until January 2012

Mastadon

Banned
Fady K said:
Tottenham play Hearts today for the second leg of at the Europa League. I wonder if Modric will take part in that. If he does, then that will definitely signal the end of the Chelsea transfer saga
until January 2012
Even if he does, he wouldn't be cup-tied for the Champs League.

Fady K

Mastadon said:
Even if he does, he wouldn't be cup-tied for the Champs League.

Really :0? I was under the impression that playing a game would definitely have him being cup tied. Harry Redknapp himself said that he may be willing to put him in the Europa League game just so Chelsea would not be able to use him in the Champions League and thus, likely not bid for him anymore.

Kozak

Banned
MPW said:
i expect gala to win turkish league

so what happens to fener now that uefa kicked them out of cl? is there proof of match fixing? will fener sell their foreign players?

I don't.

There is no proof of match fixing and Fenerbahce are allowed to play in the top league and retain their championship.

Why is why its so stupid that we're kicked out of the Champions League.

I can't wait to see what sort of compensation we get from UEFA. I expect at least the amount we earned in our 07/08 campaign.

Mastadon

Banned
Fady K said:
Really :0? I was under the impression that playing a game would definitely have him being cup tied. Harry Redknapp himself said that he may be willing to put him in the Europa League game just so Chelsea would not be able to use him in the Champions League and thus, likely not bid for him anymore.
Nope. Torres for example, played for us in Europa, then went on to play in the CL for you.

Fady K

Mastadon said:
Nope. Torres for example, played for us in Europa, then went on to play in the CL for you.

Hmmmm :0 I didn't realize that. Though what puzzles me is David Luiz was not allowed to play with Chelsea during the Champions League so I thought this would be the same?

xintin

Fady K said:
I don't think that would really stop Chelsea. We bought Luiz midseason even though he was cup-tied from playing in the CL with Benfica.

Mastadon

Banned
Fady K said:
Hmmmm :0 I didn't realize that. Though what puzzles me is David Luiz was not allowed to play with Chelsea during the Champions League so I thought this would be the same?
Afaik you can only register one player who has already played in a lower European competition, or the CL qualifiers per season.

I remember Real Madrid had to choose between Hunterlaar and Lass when they signed.

Edit: oh Luiz had already played in the CL, so he was cup tied.

Lightning

Banned
Good 2nd half performance from the guys today. At half time I was sweating a lot....

Crappy defensive display. If not for Szcz and some luck from the woodwork we would most likely not have qualified but we are there now and that's what matters. Guys showed some heart and fight to come back into it and even win the game!

Fady K

xintin said:
I don't think that would really stop Chelsea. We bought Luiz midseason even though he was cup-tied from playing in the CL with Benfica.

Yeah good times :D I really hope they don't give up on him. If not now, then mid season hopefully. I'm drooling at the potential of Mata + Modric in the middle of the field....

Mastadon said:
Afaik you can only register one player who has already played in a lower European competition, or the CL qualifiers per season.

I remember Real Madrid had to choose between Hunterlaar and Lass when they signed.

Edit: oh Luiz had already played in the CL, so he was cup tied.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up Mastadon.

Can I be added to the Arsenal list, thanks!

If City want to pay us around £80m for average players like Adebayor, Toure, Clichy and Nasri that's fine with me. How have the first two worked out for you Kermit?

dc89

KidA Seven said:
lol stupid City.

United rejected Shaun Goater. What a legend and proven goal scorer.

Also don't forget that Ryan Giggs was on City's youth until Fergie went around his granddads house and tapped him up. I think it was his granddads house, but he definitely tapped him up from City.

Lightning

Banned
Baconsarnie said:

If City want to pay us around £80m for average players like Adebayor, Toure, Clichy and Nasri that's fine with me. How have the first two worked out for you Kermit?
Not to mention Clichy isn't off to the best of starts his laziness already cost them the match against Utd and my goodness we got over paid for Nasri. Only City are that dumb. hahahahaha

dc89

Lightning said:
Not to mention Clichy isn't off to the best of starts his laziness already cost them the match against Utd and my goodness we got over paid for Nasri. Only City are that dumb. hahahahaha

What makes Nasri so good?

Read the article. Very informative and actually from someone who is in a position to really talk about Nasri.

But here is a sneak peak:

2ivmzbk.png

Lightning said:

See, I said I wouldn't take any please from the Arsenal fans' misery, but when they're trying so hard to justify their ills like this genius, it's hard not to sit back and laugh.
KuGsj.gif

You keep digging that lil hole Lightning, but it won't keep you warm at night.

Lightning

Banned
dc89 said:
What makes Nasri so good?

Read the article. Very informative and actually from someone who is in a position to really talk about Nasri.
Yeah well, we'll see if you are so positive regarding him at the end of the season. As I said, a vastly overrated player who has glimpes of absolute brilliance over shadows his overalll laziness. He is way too inconsistent to be very effective but he is young, perhaps he will develop consistency as he gets older. When he is hot he is REALLY hot but the problem is he is not hot often enough and you will find too many games where it's like he is not even on the field.

All I will say as an Arsenal fan is that I am not sad to see Nasri go, delighted with the fee we received, and feel that he is not a play maker who can run a midlield effectively.

Kermit The Dog said:
See, I said I wouldn't take any please from the Arsenal fans' misery, but when they're trying so hard to justify their ills like this genius, it's hard not to sit back and laugh.
KuGsj.gif

You keep digging that lil hole Lightning, but it won't keep you warm at night.
Yeah, well I just don't like Nasri. The first thing he does after leaving is taking a swipe at Arsenal fans doesn't help.

Still pissed that we lost Fabregas though...

dc89

Lightning said:
Yeah well, we'll see if you are so positive regarding him at the end of the season. As I said, a vastly overrated player who has glimpes of absolute brilliance over shadows his overalll laziness. He is way too inconsistent to be very effective but he is young, perhaps he will develop consistency as he gets older. When he is hot he is REALLY hot but the problem is he is not hot often enough and you will find too many games where it's like he is not even on the field.

All I will say as an Arsenal fan is that I am not sad to see Nasri go, delighted with the fee we received, and feel that he is not a play maker who can run a midlield effectively.

But the real question is will you be delighted when that fee is not re-invested into the team?

Baconsarnie said:

Toure? He's been excellent for us whilst he was playing. That suspension thing sucks, but he was a good buy from a team perspective. He's back in two weeks and he's going to be a very handy addition.

Adebayor was good for us too under Hughes, and let's not forget this. That was worth every cent. He scored consistently when he played but Mancini didn't rate him, which is a shame. He's still a great player and Tottenham have themselves a great striker.

Nice try though.

Lightning

Banned
dc89 said:
But the real question is will you be delighted when that fee is not re-invested into the team?
No worries! In a few years "super quality" Chamberlain will be able to take over...

That part of it is very frustrating.

Kermit The Dog said:
Adebayor was good for us too under Hughes, and let's not forget this. That was worth every cent. He scored consistently when he played but Mancini didn't rate him, which is a shame. He's still a great player and Tottenham have themselves a great striker.
What a disrespectful tosser Adebayor is. I'm glad Mancini doesn't rate him and Real Madrid don't want him.

Fady K

Porto fans, Barcelona fans - in case any of you have forgotten, tomorrow is the European Super Cup match between the two.

Lightning said:
What a disrespectful tosser Adebayor is. I'm glad Mancini doesn't rate him and Real Madrid don't want him.

I think the Arsenal fans were the instigators of that mess. When you chant evil things about a man's family, you've got it coming.

Wenger said last night he didn't expect any new signings today, so it gives us just under 5 days to make the minimum three/four signings we are desperate for. Irrespective of which individual we sign during this period, I don't think we'll get the numbers of players needed. Arsene's nod to "returning players" supports this suggestion.

In the January transfer window last season, everyone could see we needed a new defender or two and possibly goalkeeper - everyone that is except Arsene himself. Cue the inevitable implosion of the side.

I just wonder whether he has learnt from that or whether he still suffers from naivety to think this squad can do any better than the one we had last year, despite the various departures.

snoopen

Kermit The Dog said:
You only post to trash City. You mad bro?

In other news, City's youth development team had a great win this morning. They started off slow and looked shaky at the back with such an inexperienced and youthful team, but they managed to pull together and finish off with a great win. Final score:

Arsenal 2 - Udinese 1.
Yeah, okay, i'm mad at City buying talent for stupid amounts of money, ruining it and reselling them for half their value. Overpay all you want for Arsenal talent, we'll still beat you h2h.

You're really just bitter because:

14 – Consecutive years that Arsenal have made it to the knockout stages of the Champions League

SCZC was very solid last night..

penalty save for those who missed it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSbiXjfyxI

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Meus Renaissance said:
I just wonder whether he has learnt from that or whether he still suffers from naivety to think this squad can do any better than the one we had last year, despite the various departures.

It's possible. Perhaps without the crutch of Fabregas to rely on the players will step up. Also you have Vermaelen back. Obviously the squad is vulnerable to injury in defensive positions but an XI of:

Chesney
Sagna Vermaelen Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Song Wilshere
Gervinho Van Persie Walcott

still looks pretty good. Good enough to challenge for the top 4 anyway. Squad depth would still be a big issue, though.

Ushojax said:
It's possible. Perhaps without the crutch of Fabregas to rely on the players will step up. Also you have Vermaelen back. Obviously the squad is vulnerable to injury in defensive positions but an XI of:

Chesney
Sagna Vermaelen Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Song Wilshere
Gervinho Van Persie Walcott

still looks pretty good. Good enough to challenge for the top 4 anyway. Squad depth would still be a big issue, though.

But no one wants to challenge for the top 4. We want to challenge for the league, and failing that, finish second and reach the final of the CL.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal fans are seriously underrating their team!

Clichy and Nasri were hardly their best players. Clichy IMO was a hole in the back :p

Yurt said:
Arsenal fans are seriously underrating their team!

Clichy and Nasri were hardly their best players. Clichy IMO was a hole in the back :p

For the past two seasons Arsenal fans have been screaming for the team to be strengthened - we realised that even with Nasri, Clichy and Fabregas the team was missing a couple of quality players. Now that there are vacancies, it's not so much about the departures as it is about who is going to fill in those holes because Frimpong, Jekinson and Ramsey - IMHO - are squad players, not starters for a team that wants to compete on four sides.

No one has replaced Clichy. How do you sell players when you have no replacements for them? I don't understand that. You sell Cesc, okay fine, but whose going to replace him? Same thing with Nasri, and arguably RVP when he gets injured because Bendtner and Chamakh are simply not reliable. Through the course of the season, we will get injuries and we will get suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom