• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

saladine1

I need a fucking wheel!!!!!!!

GetPhoto.ashx

nikos

Can't believe there's no Nurburgring in this game. Also, online seems like ghost town. Is it just me? I'm enjoying the game, for the most part, otherwise. Aliasing disappoints, but it is what it is.

For those who need it/haven't found it whatever.... to uninstall, you have to go to the games & apps section, press the menu button (start button) and the uninstall option is available... Trying that now to see if it fixes my current forza crash problem

Some interesting, if disheartening, thoughts on Forza 5 from reddit:

My first impressions of Forza 5

Going off of the last point, the whole game feels rather monetized. "Would you like to buy tokens for this", "would you like to pay real money for an XP boost". It feels like a F2P title sometimes, which is terrifying for a game with the intial and DLC costs of this... I can already feel my wallet getting lighter! And for everyone who says it's all completely optional, yes that's very true. But progression seems like it could end up being pretty slow. You make OK money, but affinity no longer gives you cheap/free parts. You can't sell old cars and the fast cars are truly quite expensive. Couple this with the fact that you no longer win cars and I can see the temptation to buy tokens here and there being quite high.

This is not what I wanted to hear. I was on the fence about this title... And I still am. It really seems like a mixed bag. It sounds like it's not a really complete game.

...What do I do Gaf?! I think I might hold off till it drops in price...

dejay

Banned
Yeah. It just looks much different than the other footage we've seen.

Instantly brought back to mind this roll in the same sandtrap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRLMQ_qsOsg

The dramatic music in the first couple of races has totally thrown me for a loop. It's so cool.

The game is really beautiful....it's so sharp and perfect on my screen.

Can you exit out of an event after you've started it? I see no way to get out of the pre-race screen at all...

Often you'll have to go to the start of a race and quit back to the showroom. From there, press the menu button.

For those who need it/haven't found it whatever.... to uninstall, you have to go to the games & apps section, press the menu button (start button) and the uninstall option is available... Trying that now to see if it fixes my current forza crash problem

Man, I could have sworn I looked there before. It's there when I look now.

Good luck.

I need a fucking wheel!!!!!!!

If Dr Pleb gave you a choice of a wheel, or 10 Aussie classics - which would you take?

Is there no way to listen to XBOX Music in game, other than to snap the music app to the side while playing?

Unsnapping stops the music... Wtf!

Orca

This is not what I wanted to hear. I was on the fence about this title... And I still am. It really seems like a mixed bag. It sounds like it's not a really complete game.

...What do I do Gaf?! I think I might hold off till it drops in price...

I think even without the 'pay for shortcuts' they were going to take out affinity bonuses. People complained - probably rightly so - that it made customization fairly trivial in Forza 4. Build up your affinity, which felt like it happened way too quickly, and you could get any parts you wanted.

You had the ability (and the prompts) for buying tokens to unlock cars in past games. I don't see why it's suddenly such a contentious issue.

G Rom

After a day with the game, I'd say my main negatives are :
- clear lack of content
- evident attempt of monetisation everywhere
- free play mode : they add levelling and all but remove all cars playable even though when you rent a car, you actually don't get rewards...
- small design decisions that look like they forgot something : when you finish a race in the series, you have to go to the next one to quit the series, you can't quit directly at the end of one race or you can't take photos while racing in rivals, you have to finish the race and watch the replay to get the photo mode

I can only hope that their scheme to monetise doesn't work and they get their things together for the expansions/future games.

One thing for sure, they really nailed the materials. I hope the 250 GTO can be fully explored as well.
mobile.5744d2c.jpg

mobile.52c0e17.jpg

More here.

The way it words it in-game seems to be that you can borrow a car ( use it without buying ) but you wont get any xp or credits while you race it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnzhPTpzZ94#t=53m42s

this timestamp of the GB quicklook shows something named freeplay, as well as the rental system.
Thanks, with that naming I was actually worried the game made you pay credits to use those cars in free play.

I also noticed all the empty boxes at the end of the track listing.

saladine1

If Dr Pleb gave you a choice of a wheel, or 10 Aussie classics - which would you take?

Um, I'll play with a Colecovision controller if it meant 10 Aussie classics!

Seriously Turn 10, next announcement better be that my cars are coming...

I love the little car bios in the game. Very nice!
Also, the manual revving in vista.

Snubbers

Is there no way to listen to XBOX Music in game, other than to snap the music app to the side while playing?

Unsnapping stops the music... Wtf!
In a word, No!

I tried yesterday at my brothers, and asked in the main Xbox thread, apparently it is something not write finished at launch.

And the other little thing I noticed is if you want to really see the full brunt of next gen graphics, use bumper cam, the task detail is sublime and you really appreciate the increased texture resolution.

dejay

Banned
I was going to put off buying FM5 out of protest of paid first day DLC and paying for tracks later on when some should be given as a freebie for loyal fans, amongst other things, but I'm glad I bought it. The changes in driving model and AI actually make it a better single player game than FM4 in my opinion, despite the lack of content. Also, it's the best racing game I've every played with a controller - those impulse triggers are all I hoped they would be.

(edit) Dammit - I just checked the cars in that car pack. 1987 Sierra Cosworth RS500

Fuck I'm so torn.

JimiNutz

Banned
Maybe it's because I've only really played a bit of Forza 3, but this game is brilliant...

So far I actually like that you're not constantly changing cars. I've played for about 90 mins and have only driven 3 cars, but that means I get to spend time in each really learning how they handle.

Driving the Ariel Atom at the moment. What a fun car...
Hope I can own one, one day. Maybe when I'm old and retired! Haha

p3tran

Banned
Anyone know how to turn off the profile switching when passing a controller around a group of people?

I just wanted to play some multiplayer races with my kids in Forza and every time a new person holds a controller it forces the game to restart and do the test track. So three other people have to just sit here and wait.

Incredible pain in the ass!!!

And I can't even take the controller and try to help because as soon as I do that it forces me to sign in.

until you find a way to turn off profile switching, try turning off kinect from the menu? i think that would fix the help-my-kid situation :)

ps
oh boy, the wait until monday to receive mine...... FUCKING UNBEARABLE...!
you guys fix me up with details, pics and vids.. I feel like a crackhead out of moonshine here :D

SegaShack

I tried to do splitscreen an hour ago. Had both controllers connected, went to Free Play, it showed a car for me (player one) and an empty box for Player 2 saying "Press =(I don't know the name of the button) to join in". Every time we hit the button all it did was go back to the main menu, this was the same if I hit the button on my controller as well. Looked around in options and found nothing that would affect this.

Is splitscreen non accessible for everyone or was my game just experiencing a bug?

Reclaimer

The Limited Edition supposedly has 2x reward acceleration.

For how long? How do I know it's active?

I bought the Limited, just wondering where this stuff is.

Shaneus

Even in the first picture of the 787B with the crowd so out of focus, you can see the same people standing there, disinterested and looking at something non-specific but likely not anything to do with auto racing. I'm still blown away that they couldn't even get people who would look like they'd go watch some cars tough it out... they look like they picked people with the most primary-colour clothes (for easy palette-swapping) from a shopping centre and took photos of them.

Some interesting, if disheartening, thoughts on Forza 5 from reddit:

My first impressions of Forza 5
You mention that some of the cars in Forzavista don't have trunks/bonnets that can be opened... is there anything obvious that indicates some cars have been redone and some are touched up from FM4? I'm curious if there's a noticeable or even a subtle (yet definite) difference.
Edit: Never mind, I read the rest of what you wrote. One question though: Is the 22B in it, and if so is it still the same model they've had since FM3 (or even 2)?

Me feelings with the game so far ....

mask_jawdrop.png

I really need to go back and do 100 more races :D
Yes... yes... keep doing that. Because as soon as you start working on liveries, I won't be able to restrain myself from buying a One and FM5.

dejay

Banned
I've noticed the AI has a nasty habit of jumping in front of me and slamming on the brakes to go into a corner I can normally just lift off to go around, even if there's penty of room on the track. This usually results in damaged aero, brakes and suspension for me. Kinda annoying.

I just bought the Ariel Atom V8 and it's basically a bunch of races with all them, which is fun, but fuck it's hectic. You should hear a group of them going through the tunnel in the Burmese Alps.

Mascot

Can someone check if the scuff marks on tyres from the E3 reveal (ACTUAL IN-GAME FOOTAGE) made it into the final game? It was the little details like this (along with marbles on the track, metal-fleck orange-peel paint, small stone chips on headlight lenses etc) that made FM5 seem so impressive back in June.

Image for reference:

Ta.

I tried to do splitscreen an hour ago. Had both controllers connected, went to Free Play, it showed a car for me (player one) and an empty box for Player 2 saying "Press =(I don't know the name of the button) to join in". Every time we hit the button all it did was go back to the main menu, this was the same if I hit the button on my controller as well. Looked around in options and found nothing that would affect this.

Is splitscreen non accessible for everyone or was my game just experiencing a bug?

you probably just need to log in a second player - go to your profile icon where you signed in and sign in a guest using the second controller

eso76

Can someone check if the scuff marks on tyres from the E3 reveal (ACTUAL IN-GAME FOOTAGE) made it into the final game?
Ta.

LOL

Also, I think i read somewhere that those McLaren tires looked wet because you can apply polish to them. I must have missed that option :p

Mascot

LOL

Also, I think i read somewhere that those McLaren tires looked wet because you can apply polish to them. I must have missed that option :p

Why LOL? Has anyone checked? The cars pick up dirt and insect mush during races, so the tyres might scuff. It was featured prominently in the reveal trailer. Did marbles on track make the cut? Do these get dislodged by cars like in Shift?

Porsche9146

Neo Member
Why LOL? Has anyone checked? The cars pick up dirt and insect mush during races, so the tyres might scuff. It was featured prominently in the reveal trailer. Did marbles on track make the cut? Do these get dislodged by cars like in Shift?

No idea on the tires themselves, but there are live marbles are on track. They are, however, not dynamic.

Grassy

Can someone check if the scuff marks on tyres from the E3 reveal (ACTUAL IN-GAME FOOTAGE) made it into the final game? It was the little details like this (along with marbles on the track, metal-fleck orange-peel paint, small stone chips on headlight lenses etc) that made FM5 seem so impressive back in June.

Image for reference:

Ta.

I posted this in the photo thread, I made a custom combination of green paint with yellow flecks(..or the other way round...) in it. If you look closely at the front bumper you can see it.

5jhkz6.jpg

dejay

Banned

Just did a quick check - went into photo mode, took a snap of the tire on the starting line and did a couple of slidy laps and did another pic. Look exactly the same. Saying that, the tires look road used at the beginning of the race on the actual tread.

I tried taking a photo while the car was spinning it's wheels to see if any bits were flying off, but the shutter speed only goes to 1/100, so it was all a blur anyway. Unless I'm missing something, you can't freeze the action with a fast shutter speed. I can't remember if FM4 was like that.

Mascot

OK, thanks for the answers. One other one: did they fix the frame rate in the rear-view mirrors? I think it was running at 30fps in earlier builds.

trinest

Um, I'll play with a Colecovision controller if it meant 10 Aussie classics!

Seriously Turn 10, next announcement better be that my cars are coming...

I love the little car bios in the game. Very nice!
Also, the manual revving in vista.

But theres no such thing as good Australian Classic Cars worthy of Forza, so you will be waiting for awhile.

Xamdou

Man wtf, I get disconnected within the first couple of seconds after the start of each race for online races. This shiet happened five times in a row and I still haven't completed a complete online race.

Top Bottom