• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX Engine vs CryEngine 3 - Konami's Office Room Recreated In CryEngine 3

KKRT00

Why? Last time I checked, the thread was about trying to recreate something from Fox Engine in CryEngine 3.

For arguments sake, let's say it can't. Does that somehow refute the things FOX Engine excel at?

Without getting into some pointless back-and-forth debate, I'll just say; FOX Engine is a completely different beast as far as dynamically 'simulating' photo-realistic lighting is concerned. At some point, people will have to accept that CryEngine 3 is aging.

What You couldnt name and FOX Engine is doing is called physically based rendering and is used in CryEngine since version 2, with 3 having it refined, with version 3.5 pushing asset creation with physically based rendering in mind.
You can read a little about it here from Crysis 3 production:
http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/14947849/fmx2013-c3-art-tech-donzallaz-sousa
PDF: http://www.crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf

CryEngine 3 is far from aging, its exactly the opposite, every year they push it further.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think it's much less that CryEngine3 is lacking and more that the dude just didn't take advantage of certain features of the engine to make the comparison more apt.

CryEngine3 is capable of far better and more realistic looking things even with something as bland as an office demo.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The lighting is what really makes the difference. Both engines can handle the geometry.

And yes, the guy probably didn't do the lighting as well as he could have. Crysis 3 has better lighting than that.

KKRT00

BTW if we are talking about office environments rendering than for example french engineering company ENODO is using CE3 for this purpose.

Vue05.jpg

Vue08_versionBis.jpg

In motion: 1:24
http://vimeo.com/64654077

http://www.crytek.com/blog/gaming-meets-architecture-with-enodo-and-cryengine-3

Dennis

Banned
Both the FUCKS engine and the CryMoar engine render dreadfully sterile and boring office environments.

Even though lacking in resolution and AA, Last of Us had far more realistic and impressive offices.

Not an office but you get the idea.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fox Engine seems to have lighting down pat, as does Luminous.

Are there any shots/demos of CryEngine 3 that show off a similar level of realistic lighting that comes off as mundanely real and not WHIZZBANG SATURATION!

Synth

Both the FUCKS engine and the CryMoar engine render dreadfully sterile and boring office environments.

Even though lacking in resolution and AA, Last of Us had far more realistic and impressive offices.

I don't get the idea at all actually.

This looks terrible in comparison. The added imperfections aren't making the scene look more convincing than either FOX Engine or CryEngine 3 examples, it is immediately apparent that it's from a game, and I doubt rendering it at a higher resolution would change that.

It's not really the engine's fault that the actual offices happen to be sterile and boring.

KKRT00

Fox Engine seems to have lighting down pat, as does Luminous.

Are there any shots/demos of CryEngine 3 that show off a similar level of realistic lighting that comes off as mundanely real and not WHIZZBANG SATURATION!

4 posts above Yours? And You really have to remind Yourself how lighting looks in MGS V and how it looks in Crysis 3 or 2.
MGS V: http://imgur.com/a/ZUTKv#0

---
This doesn't look as good as FOX Engine.

Props for doing this/putting in the work, CE3 modder guy, but it doesn't look as good as the FE shots.

Love such comments. So show Fox Engine high res shots then :) People really overestimate quality of post-card shots.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So is it stated anywhere that this guy did this to show the POWER OF CRYENGINE

Or was it:

A) He was impressed by the work behind Fox Engine
B) He has experience with Cryengine toolset
C) He wanted to recreate it as best he could

Metal-Geo

I think it's much less that CryEngine3 is lacking and more that the dude just didn't take advantage of certain features of the engine to make the comparison more apt.

CryEngine3 is capable of far better and more realistic looking things even with something as bland as an office demo.
Yeah I think it's fair to mention this was done using the latest public CryEngine 3 version (3.4.5) and not the version used for Crysis 3; which has yet to go public. Which is obviously a bit more evolved.

I love Half Life, but Crysis gunplay is on another level.

Edit: I forgot that we live in a world where people think Crysis is a lousy game hidden behind a benchmarking tool that no computer ever can actually run.

It is a shame that people dislike the Crysis series so much.

markot

Banned
Think of all the ideas they came up with in that room. Like 'lets make another metal gear' Or 'why arent we making another metal gear?'

Im getting creative goose bumps!

What You couldnt name and FOX Engine is doing is called physically based rendering and is used in CryEngine since version 2, with 3 having it refined, with version 3.5 pushing asset creation with physically based rendering in mind.
You can read a little about it here from Crysis 3 production:
http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/14947849/fmx2013-c3-art-tech-donzallaz-sousa
PDF: http://www.crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf

CryEngine 3 is far from aging, its exactly the opposite, every year they push it further.

Thanks

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol @ crysis

game was good until

all those dumb fucking aliens and flying octopus robots ripped off of The Matrix

which unfortunately encompasses almost half the game

Crysis is 10/10 as a tech demo

and 5/10 as a game

real talk

The only real talk here is that Crysis is still amazing even after the aliens and probably the best sandbox shooter before it.

Meanwhile at KojiPro they last released two brainmeltingly stupid MGS games that arent nearly as fun to play as a game from 1998.

I'd rather take the mediocrity of either Crysis 2 or 3 over MGS4.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't know what it is but it looks...off. iunno.

It's the jaggies in the first shot and the light halos on the picture frames for me. And then the close-ups of the chairs shows polygon/"jagged" edges for me. While Crytek may be showing HD it just doesn't look as good as Kojipro's renders.

But then again Kojipros renders didn't show up in HD either so until then it's a pretty bad comparison/war to fight.

Zarx

Pretty good attempt for one guy trying to recreate the scene from the low res images that KojiPro released, with the limited and outdated free Cryengine SDK. But it really doesn't look as realistic, I have never really like the look of Cryengine 3 the lighting and shading always looks a bit off IMO. KojiPro of course had a massive advantage of having the actual location on hand to get high detail photographic and lighting reference plus full source access to fine tune lighting and shaders.

Tellaerin

It is a shame that people dislike the Crysis series so much.

My biggest issue with the Crysis series is that it made some people think the word "crisis" is supposed to be spelled with a "y". Just irks the hell out of me when I see people unironically posting comments about, say, "the economic crysis". -_-

All rendering engines are essentially the same. The features all come from the same white papers. End of the day: good art in, good art out.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The CryEngine3 is too shiny for my taste.
I understand that was the initial complaint for the Fox Engine when it displayed foliage for the first time.

But there is discernable difference between the two.

Ahasverus

i died reading that.

He's dennis, the most famous graphic enthusiast on gaf and probably the world, crysis is the best for him because of how it looks as he says it's the best loking game ever, don't ever EVER listen to the man about the "game" part of "videogame"

Striek

I only ever saw the tiny Fox engine-real life comparisons posted which were somewhat impressive, but wow the fuller size ones posted ITT look horrible.

Fox_Engine_3.jpg

Youtube compression and all, but fundamentally bad. The modders C3 version is far more impressive.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Neither the fox engine nor the crysis shots are all that impressive to be honest. When the fox shots were posted I almost thought it was a joke topic how everyone was saying how amazing they looked....of course they looked close to the real pictures, when they were fucking 240x160 pixels, anything can be made to look realistic.

Even then, the backs of the chairs were modeled with haste, which made me wonder why they even bothered to do such a demonstration. It was almost like a mod project posting their one room they just cobbled together as a proof of concept "map". Any modern engine could match, or exceed those shots. They should just be posting pictures from the actual game environments since they were given more care than throwing the same low poly cloned chair model around a desk.

In summary:
tv019_absolutely_disgusting_2546.jpg

All rendering engines are essentially the same. The features all come from the same white papers. End of the day: good art in, good art out.

This is not really true...techniques base themselves primarily on white papers.. but which techniques are implemented.. and how they are is pretty darn different from game engine to game engine.

KKRT00

This is not really true...techniques base themselves primarily on white papers.. but which techniques are implemented.. and how they are is pretty darn different from game engine to game engine.

Yep, there are tons of tricks and optimization that devs have to apply to be able to even render the desire feature in reasonable framerate. There is also art creation factor that will support those techniques and compatibility with other existing rendering features.
Also, every engine has different distribution of G-buffer in deferred rendering.

And additionally CryEngine has ton of unique features that were made solely by Crytek engineers, like pixel-accurate displacement mapping, water caustics, 3D tessellated vegetation, they also create all environment geometry with voxels and then covert them to polys.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I love how you keep preaching about The Last of Us, Dennis.

Top Bottom