• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News Opinion: SPLC is an "agenda-driven liberal fund-raising machine"

Syriel

Oh, and Teen Vogue is "far-left."

Whether out of laziness or because it suits their bias, far too many journalists use SPLC as a credible source, rather than the agenda-driven liberal fund-raising machine it is. In its Sessions story, NBC referred to SPLC as “a prominent civil rights watchdog.” Although it addressed ADF’s defense, ABC quoted SPLC Deputy Legal Director David Dinielli calling ADF’s hate label “rightfully earned.” ABC then piled on, citing Richard Painter, Democrat Joel Kasnetz and Wisconsin Democrat Sen. Tammy Baldwin. Painter, former chief ethics lawyer for the Bush administration, said on Twitter, “Why is the attorney general hanging out with these nuts instead of doing his job?” Imagine ABC quoting someone calling, say, the Human Rights Campaign “nuts,” and letting it stand.

Yes. It's an opinion piece by an intern, but it's on Fox so it shows up in Google News.

You'll be excused for mistaking it for an Onion piece. I mean, Teen Vogue is cited as an example of a liberal propaganda rag.

Seriously, Fox is working overtime to put the Onion out of business. ;)

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...g-sessions-for-speech-to-christian-group.html

lyrick

Your quoted text reads like alphabet soup.

I actually had to hit the link to find out that the (SPLC in the) title was referring to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Also for those that care: ADF is short for Alliance Defending Freedom.

Ithil

American right wingers insistence on pretending they don't have any agendas but everyone else does never fails to amuse.

WedgeX

Banned
SPLC got bombed by the KKK for their services.

Fox continuing to try and discredit real organizations is contemptible.

akira28

yeah Fox, going hard after SPLC sure helps with your "#1 among racists" reputation you're trying so hard to shake.

sangreal

the right has been vehemently against SPLC for years now because they labeled some christian extermist groups hate groups for being anti-gay etc

Syriel

It's an opinion article, so like most Fox News stuff, it's garbage. Just ignore it and move on.

I posted the link more for pure amusement than anything else. It's not meant to taken seriously.

Sorry for not spelling out SPLC in the OP. I had thought it was a well known organization. First post got it covered tho.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there some reason you just assumed everyone know what SPLC meant?

IrishNinja

funny, as A SPLC supporter I was thinking of making a thread to see what the occasional beef here in OT with them is - most times it's muslim threads where someone takes umbrage with them naming someone an anti-muslim extremist, and before I'm even done looking them up the gaffer will start up praise for sam harris & co in the next breath

SPLC got bombed by the KKK for their services.

Fox continuing to try and discredit real organizations is contemptible.

oh man when did that go down

the right has been vehemently against SPLC for years now because they labeled some christian extermist groups hate groups for being anti-gay etc
Well to be fair the SPLC list has led to a handful of attempted terror attacks on various organizations and individuals over the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2086b2-7075-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html

And more recently the attack on the congressional baseball game was also connected to a guy who was inspired by them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well to be fair the SPLC list has led to a handful of attempted terror attacks on various organizations and individuals over the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2086b2-7075-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html

And more recently the attack on the congressional baseball game was also connected to a guy who was inspired by them.

I think you probably lost your credibility to label an anti-hate group as a hate group when you posted a thunderf00t video where he creepily reads excerpts from Anita Sarkeesian's master's thesis and argued "Just because he seems to hate women doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points... why doesn't she turn on comments on your YouTube videos" -- is it possible you're just unusually susceptible to ring wing angry dudes expressing Extreme Concern about progressive people and organizations?

Shauni

Southern Poverty Law Center, for those still wondering and too lazy to Google. They are a civil rights group that actively tracks hate groups and participates in lawsuits against them. They are kind of like a harder edged UCLA.

Armaros

So can we apply that same logic to the entire Republican Party and the shooting at that Planned Parrenthood in Colorado?

lmao Fox News is threatened by Teen Vogue.

Though that's not taking away anything from the latter. They actually call out shit as it is.

My issue is that it feels like every right wing organization is categorized as a hate group by the SPLC. It begins to lose all distinction, making their opinion irrelevant.

I think you probably lost your credibility to label an anti-hate group as a hate group when you posted a thunderf00t video where he creepily reads excerpts from Anita Sarkeesian's master's thesis and argued "Just because he seems to hate women doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points... why doesn't she turn on comments on your YouTube videos" -- is it possible you're just unusually susceptible to ring wing angry dudes expressing Extreme Concern about progressive people and organizations?
Thats a pretty liberal use of paraphrasing on your part, but no I would not say so given that very little of the media I consume would be considered conservative or right leaning.

Bringing up my posting history, if you cared to actually look through it rather than drive-by post youd see I have been critical of plenty of conservative and alt-right personalities here, namely Milo and his ilk.

Thats a pretty weak attempt to deflect on your part, but I suppose I shouldnt expect much better from you.

IrishNinja

My issue is that it feels like every right wing organization is categorized as a hate group by the SPLC. It begins to lose all distinction, making their opinion irrelevant.

can you name one that doesn't fit the bill, then?

Thats a pretty weak attempt to deflect on your part, but I suppose I shouldnt expect much better from you.

mod or not, stumps input around here makes him one of the more knowledgeable & enlightening posters we have
whereas you're apparently a dude who poses thunderf00t videos

Famassu

When pretty much all right-wing organizations' aim is to make life worse for one (usually minority) group or the other (or all of them), what else are they than hate groups? Hate group doesn't just mean KKK & neo nazis who smash POC individuals' heads in. Hate comes in many forms & intensities and right wing groups display it in all different varieties.

Maybe a reason for that?

If every right wing organization spews hate...

Says more about the right wing groups

can you name one that doesn't fit the bill, then?

It kills productive discussion. I'm not saying there's not a lot of hate out there on the right, I'm saying they need to be more selective, i.e., raise the bar.

I mean, I could probably get a lot of GAF to agree that the GOP itself is pretty much a hate group at this point, right?

They need to tighten up qualifications, or at the very least, sort them into levels. It's hard to feel the same way about The Aryan Brotherhood and the Family Research Council. They're both bigoted organizations, but I don't consider them comparable.

When pretty much all right-wing organizations' aim is to make life worse for one (usually minority) group or the other (or all of them), what else are they than hate groups? Hate group doesn't just mean KKK & neo nazis who POC individuals' heads in. Hate comes in many forms & intensities and right wing groups display it in all different varieties.
If pretty much all right-wing organizations qualify as hate groups, then it loses all meaning. You're telling me that a better short-hand to communicate a hate group is merely to call them "right-wing". Distinctions need to be made or communication becomes ambigous.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
funny, as A SPLC supporter I was thinking of making a thread to see what the occasional beef here in OT with them is - most times it's muslim threads where someone takes umbrage with them naming someone an anti-muslim extremist, and before I'm even done looking them up the gaffer will start up praise for sam harris & co in the next breath
Most of that sentiment is probably the question of overreach in putting Majid Nawaz and Ayan Hirsi Ali on anti-Muslim extremist lists. And yeah, that's a Sam Harris topic of discussion, so naturally there's a connection there.

Slayven

It kills productive discussion. I'm not saying there's not a lot of hate out there on the right, I'm saying they need to be more selective, i.e., raise the bar.

I mean, I could probably get a lot of GAF to agree that the GOP itself is pretty much a hate group at this point, right?

They need to tighten up qualifications, or at the very least, sort them into levels. It's hard to feel the same way about The Aryan Brotherhood and the Family Research Council. They're both bigoted organizations, but I don't consider them comparable.
What groups do you feel are unfairly labeled?

Guevara

The Southern Poverty Law Center thinks almost organization is a hate group, but then again maybe they're right.

WedgeX

Banned

oh man when did that go down

Back in the 80s.

The SPLC does not discriminate nor mince words when labeling groups that encourage hate as hate groups. Wanna hate? Well, prepare to be labeled as such. Their reports are incredibly nuanced, well researched, and well respected.

Top Bottom