• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

SerTapTap

Any recommendations for what types of weapons are best to try? I've mostly been going with an assault rifle and trying random weapons in the second slot. Melee doesn't seem very useful against abductors so I usually ignore those, but running out of ammo sucks too.

Yes. Unfortunately, no mod is 100% guaranteed to transfer when you do this, and every time there is a chance of existing mods being lost, as well as random mods (including good or bad ones) spontaneously appearing. It's one of the most frustrating design decisions.

It's probably not worth spending materials right now to influence mod transfer - take the best you can get randomly for now. Just keep in mind that many mods are only effective on certain types of weapons (usually common sense).

Modding also transfers a fraction of the weapon's elemental power (although you would have to feed in a lot of weapons to get anywhere close to maxing that out).

Yeah I'm not going to waste any resources on anything but augmentations for now unless I have a ton. Are mods passive even when the weapon isn't equipped? Like I got an auto-cannon windup speed mod, but it's on a spear. Do I get that buff just for having the spear in my loadout or do I need to mod that thing onto an autocannon?

Edit: Holy crap flare knives are AWESOME

Edgeward

You can 'Request Citizen Support' to speed up Facility jobs. Depending on the type and quality/class of citizen, you can reduce processing time by 2m30s to 60m. You can obtain/farm Citizens by completing Citizen Reclamation missions.
Or you can let them run while doing something else (like sleeping or eating) since it's a real-time timer.

Yikes, I hope the next iteration does away with this completely. I can't suspend/turn off the game and come back later to see it completed can I? Looks like the game needs to be running to do this.

people

Yikes, I hope the next iteration does away with this completely. I can't suspend/turn off the game and come back later to see it completed can I? Looks like the game needs to be running to do this.

Actually, that's what I meant by 'real-time', the timer keeps going whether the game is running or not.

Are mods passive even when the weapon isn't equipped? Like I got an auto-cannon windup speed mod, but it's on a spear. Do I get that buff just for having the spear in my loadout or do I need to mod that thing onto an autocannon?

Edit: Holy crap flare knives are AWESOME

Mods only affect the weapons they are actually on. A greyed-out mod won't do anything until it's moved onto a weapon of the right type.

Also, flare knives (except the consumable, instant ones) are mainly a slower substitute for light melee weapons. You'll really need the difference in speed later in the game.

SerTapTap

Mods only affect the weapons they are actually on. A greyed-out mod won't do anything until it's moved onto a weapon of the right type.

Also, flare knives (except the consumable, instant ones) are mainly a slower substitute for light melee weapons. You'll really need the difference in speed later in the game.

Wait can you use melee weapons to hack off bits like flare knives?

Wait can you use melee weapons to hack off bits like flare knives?

Only light melee: Muramasa, Hawkshadow, Happy Chopper, and so on. You should check a weapon's description for this kind of information - some weapons have other special characteristics too.

Weapons that do more damage should also cut off parts faster.

Teknoman

Wow this game really commits to the whole sinner thing. I just wanted to talk to my accessory and BAM more years. Feels like back in the day where if you said something to your parents and they'd keep adding on more time to whatever punishment lol.

EDIT: Do you actually have to gain the privilege to change control schemes?

At any rate: TeknomanEX is my PSN.

Tigress

Ok, I just got this game for christmas. One question, when you want to redo a contribution, is there any way to get it to assign you other UI characters to help (it seems to insist that i have to redo any contributions solo and of course you don't get as much sentence off when you do them. It is making at least the last one I did impossible to re do over again... four sinners and robots against just me and my accessory? Yeah, I'm just not that good). And I'm really hesitant to try to get people to co op with me (for one, I'm not that good and don't want to deal with frustrated random players who are annoyed I am flubbing up or not doing as well as they would expect me to do).

Also, it is interesting that it does do a good job of making you feel opressed. And they didn't make my accessory feel like a friend, I actually resent him cause I see him as my jailor (not saying that is bad design, it's interesting though and it is obviously done on purpose as well. It's obvious I am meant to see him as a jailor/impersonal robot vs. companion/friend). I'm really good at adding on to my sentence ;).

SerTapTap

The stealth sections are out of place but super easy so I don't mind them. The game has some pacing issues but mostly in code 2-3. I kinda miss the Code 1 thing of just "here's story, here's mission, gogogo", but with fast travel going through the story stuff isn't so bad. Having to actually walk around to do the stuff in Code 2 & 3, now that sucked.

Also I seem to be one of few who actually enjoy this having a story. Really enjoyed that in Soul Sac, definitely makes Monster Hunter feel less pointful.

I still don't understand most weapons. Anything super short range that isn't a light melee feels like a waste of a slot. Accidentally took a flame thrower to a mission with a big spider abductor. I managed to run out of time in the most agonizingly slow fight ever. I can't even tell if Dragon Fang is working at all even when literally feet away. So far I've been all about the assault weapons, binding thorn (if only to tie up abductors), and light melee though I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time by cutting or not, hard to tell. But it sure is satisfying.

Only light melee: Muramasa, Hawkshadow, Happy Chopper, and so on. You should check a weapon's description for this kind of information - some weapons have other special characteristics too.

Weapons that do more damage should also cut off parts faster.

Arg, okay that's really nice to know.

I dont mind it in this case. Like Tigress stated, the game is really good at making you feel oppressed.

I actually really enjoy that. It lightens up on the more extreme stuff fairly quickly, but it stays just long enough to get the point across. I can see how it'd feel unfair if you weren't expecting it and didn't know it could be lifted though.

-Horizon-

It's the first mission after you reach level 2. And that's pretty much where I'm at in the game.

I think you might be onto something.
You're like one mission away from them giving you the option to have team members. I know because I just got past that part like an hour ago lol.

Edgeward

I haven't played a vita game that made me play as much as this game. I only started at the beginning of the weekend and reached Code 5. I've pretty much only put it down because I need to sleep or the battery is dying. This is the hunting game that I've been looking for. I've played a few and some I have liked, Phantasy Star Portable and God Eater specifically but this topples them easily. It is really a great mix of shooting, traversal and hunting. And the AI so far has been very competent, especially once I discovered you can command them and tell them to attack personnel . Made those missions that mix Abductor and regular enemies way easier.

I have heard 5 is where things spike so we shall see how it goes.

Redhood

I am unable to do the code 8 missions story or side ones. This difficulty spike is killing me. Had no problem with any of the earlier mission.

Any weapon recommendations?

Feels like I'm completely stuck: can't beat any Code 8 missions, or even the optional ones of Code 7. Can't upgrade my weapons any further as a result, since I need Mark 4 parts that drop from some of these missions.

There's always co-op, but I don't have enough time to get through the missions in one sitting. Need to pause and come back later.

Main problem right now is the sinners that spawn while everyone is fighting abductors. They are timed perfectly to wipe out your team, who are somehow exceptionally useless at killing one guy with a rifle - even when set to "Suppress Personnel" at all times.

Will the AI get any better at this if they level up further, or should I expect to cover for everyone else at all times? (And bring an automatic rifle from the start, since Barbaras are useless against sinners)

Just got Code 3. I'm enjoying the game but still wrapping my head around some things.
Is the story really as awful as reviews say? The start is promising, it's a shame if it ends up sucking.
I like the character models in this game, they look nice. Game looks pretty good overall, very clean. I wish Persona 4 had this IQ.

Xenoflare

Just got Code 3. I'm enjoying the game but still wrapping my head around some things.
Is the story really as awful as reviews say? The start is promising, it's a shame if it ends up sucking.
I like the character models in this game, they look nice. Game looks pretty good overall, very clean. I wish Persona 4 had this IQ.

The story is not really trying to be good. I never cared about the story since it was an obvious excuse to just give the game a single player campaign.

It was never the game's strength anyways. The gameplay and visual is where it's at. The setting is nice too.

I'm thinking about grabbing this while it's still on sale. What are the essential DLC's I should buy? I kinda care about cosmetic customization in this game too.

The story is not really trying to be good. I never cared about the story since it was an obvious excuse to just give the game a single player campaign.

It was never the game's strength anyways. The gameplay and visual is where it's at. The setting is nice too.

They had something interesting here though, feels like a waste.

SerTapTap

The 4 on 4 rescue missions or whatever are awful. Please don't tell me there are a lot of these that are required.

The vs things where you capture citizens while trying to stop the enemy from doing the same? I've only found 2 and I'm on code 7. They're pretty easy though.

Main problem right now is the sinners that spawn while everyone is fighting abductors. They are timed perfectly to wipe out your team, who are somehow exceptionally useless at killing one guy with a rifle - even when set to "Suppress Personnel" at all times.

Will the AI get any better at this if they level up further, or should I expect to cover for everyone else at all times? (And bring an automatic rifle from the start, since Barbaras are useless against sinners)

I'm slightly behind you, but I've found the AI does pretty decently against abductors on their own (just a bit slow), so I try to just pick off the enemy Sinners on my own. Also giving one of the large rocket launchers to my accessory means she insta-kills sinners, best I can tell accessories get infinite ammo?

But the AI seems to do okay against the big baddies and revive each other okay in the many-on-one fights. It's just the Sinner snipers they're TERRIBLE at taking down, but I don't have too much trouble with those (I use the EZ Katze for the most part, range isn't great but usually acceptable.)

Don't forget to level your buddies gear, if you have. It's one of the better uses for entitlement points IMO.

DrFurbs

The only thing that annoys me about this game is if you didn't have internet acceess, how on earth would you know where to harvest the parts from?

I just wish the descriptives when upgrading would tell you what abductor was where.

SerTapTap

The only thing that annoys me about this game is if you didn't have internet acceess, how on earth would you know where to harvest the parts from?

I just wish the descriptives when upgrading would tell you what abductor was where.

Yeah this is something I loathe in hunting games. I've just been progressing the story and making all Augmentations I can as I randomly get the parts, not going to worry about it until endgame. These sort of games need nice encyclopedias where you can either search by monster and see what they drop or sort by material and see what drops it.

When is it appropriate to try the special ops? I just reached code 6

Not until after beating the game, and then not until you have improved your weapons by a lot, unless you're doing co-op with experienced people.

On another note, it's almost funny how many barriers they put up in levels in later citizen recovery missions. Or at least it would be if it wasn't outright malicious as well.

Not until after beating the game, and then not until you have improved your weapons by a lot, unless you're doing co-op with experienced people.

On another note, it's almost funny how many barriers they put up in levels in later citizen recovery missions. Or at least it would be if it wasn't outright malicious as well.

I've seen one Sinner run into a barrier holding a Citizen causing the Citizen to land on the other side. O_O

DrFurbs

I have a problem. I have ticked ask the requirements for getting to Code 7. But I get no news from any one in game that I have passed the requirements.

Any idea?

Doombear

I have a problem. I have ticked ask the requirements for getting to Code 7. But I get no news from any one in game that I have passed the requirements.

Any idea?

It should tell you onscreen if you need to talk to someone I think. Grab an Exit Permit and head out of your cell. Check the map to see if you are supposed to go anywhere, Fueling Station perhaps?

people

I've seen one Sinner run into a barrier holding a Citizen causing the Citizen to land on the other side. O_O

This is a well-known 'secret': Run into the barrier while carrying a citizen, causing the citizen to drop. Hop over the barrier and pick it up from the other side, or have someone else ready to pick it up, relay-style; just complete this procedure before it starts wandering off. You can also gently put it down instead of bumping into to the barrier. Note that this works only for single barriers.

DrFurbs

It should tell you onscreen if you need to talk to someone I think. Grab an Exit Permit and head out of your cell. Check the map to see if you are supposed to go anywhere, Fueling Station perhaps?

Yup thanks mate. Just been issued after visiting the fueling station.

DrFurbs

I'm hitting a brick wall with this game. It's just so difficult to get certain materials and it's hard to know where to look never mind the drop rate.

This needs fixed. Still stuck at Code 6 Though I have been issued code 7 exam.

Kumubou

I'm hitting a brick wall with this game. It's just so difficult to get certain materials and it's hard to know where to look never mind the drop rate.

This needs fixed. Still stuck at Code 6 Though I have been issued code 7 exam.
There's a Google Docs spreadsheet with all of the drops. Kind of wish the information was in-game (or easier to find/sort), but still. I wouldn't get OCD about leveling gear until finishing story mode at the very earliest, but at the same time getting a couple extra levels can be a huge help and it shouldn't be too bad where you are in the game. Wait until you're grinding materials for level 8/9/10 weapons. D:

Doombear

Yeah, I ... think I forget that not everyone approaches these games with a spreadsheet, Evernote, Google Docs and a translator in hand. It is just how I initially learned Monster Hunter when I was playing it on PSP in Japanese with 1% comprehension.

So the fact that the game itself does a pretty mediocre job telling you where to get what doesn't bother me since I have plenty of info bookmarked. It really is unfortunate for other players that aren't ready for that though. Kumubou's link is definitely one that has seen plenty of traffic by me though. I don't know what I would do without the hard work that others have put in to making these docs happen.

Edgeward

Code 6 to 7 exam was stressful as fuck. When you get down to the last couple they just spawn sinners out the butt. So glad I got it on my first try.

Glad I futzed around with advancing my weapons and upgrading them.

PaulloDEC

Had this arrive in the mail yesterday. Just finished my exam for CODE 4.

OH GOD MY THUMBS.

This time last year I played Persona 4 Golden for the first time, and as with that I'm finding myself a little in the deep end with this. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with the factories, besides slapping a bunch of random weapons together for upgrades or mods. I'm assuming I'm making my stuff better, but it isn't always very clear, and I wouldn't have a clue what I'm supposed to do with the millions of other parts and spare weapons I'm accumulating. Now I've unlocked Augments too, and my head hurts.

I'm starting to get the hang of ordering around my people in combat though, which is a really cool feature. I had the opportunity to order my comrades to rescue a civilian earlier while I led the last big monster away from their path to the rescue pod. Ultimately I had to drag him to the ground with another AI while the rescuers made a final break for it. Great emergent moments.

Cool game.

Top Bottom