• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Finally got to CODE4. Man, the beginning is slowwwwwwww. When do I start getting a lot of missions? Or, does it stay at this slow 1-2 missions at a time pace?

Guys I have a big problem.

I love the setting and like the gameplay. However the story and storytelling both suck. Big time. Dunno why but the whole delivery of the ploy is totally unengaging.

Am I the only one begging the game to stop shoving the story down my throat and let me actually play the damn game? It is dragging my experience with the game down significantly.

Edit: code 3 btw

It would have been nice if they had just went the Monster Hunter route

I think Soul Sacrifice is the only Hunting game with a story that didnt bother me

Loving it so far. Even the slow paced start:). Shocked my panopticon (amsterdam) only has 770 sinners repping it. Is that a direct calculation? Would mean not a lot of people play this game or that they all flock to the bigger panopticons.

Prelude.

Loving it so far. Even the slow paced start:). Shocked my panopticon (amsterdam) only has 770 sinners repping it. Is that a direct calculation? Would mean not a lot of people play this game or that they all flock to the bigger panopticons.
People that chose that and connected online, but I think it's pretty decent for a single european country. There were roughly 1300 sinners in mine (Rome) last time I checked.

But yeah, some people choose another Panopticon (like Tokyo, since it doesn't count the japanese players so they're all foreigners) but there are also quite a lot of asian players, mostly from Hong Kong I assume, that like to get to first place in foreign Panopticons.

Hate how my AI teammates don't bother reviving their own damn Accessories.

Hostile Sinners are the worst, they come out of nowhere and kill my teammates quickly.

Rnr1224

Just got this game and loving it so far! Just for to CODE 2 so I'm still working on understanding all of the mechanics.

Also feel free to add me on PSN. Name is rnr1224

maouvin

Hate how my AI teammates don't bother reviving their own damn Accessories.

Some of them do; the AI characters have different behaviors - Nina likes severing, Bea always focus on releasing/carrying civilians and so on.

One thing I hope they fix on the sequel is that the AI never thorn-revive you - they get near, try to revive you, get stomped, rinse and repeat.

Some of them do; the AI characters have different behaviors - Nina likes severing, Bea always focus on releasing/carrying civilians and so on.

One thing I hope they fix on the sequel is that the AI never thorn-revive you - they get near, try to revive you, get stomped, rinse and repeat.
Good to know. :)
Natalia is cruel to everyone then, even her Accessory. >.>

I've never noticed, but do Accessories even have Thorns? I don't think they do.

Edit: Oh you were talking about teammates! Yeah if there is ever an expansion/sequel they should thorn revive if they can.

Ephidel

Code 2's pacing really does kind of suck but the run-around-the-con fetch issues are mostly confined to C2 anyway and you'll unlock an entitlement soon that will make everything move a lot faster. It's much better once you're past it and Prelude. is right in saying it will open up very soon.

Just got the game yesterday, so far I like the art-style and setting. Haven't played too much of the combat to truly get into it though. Can someone explain the point of eliminating the years on your sentence and the penalty of adding more years? I got more then 10 penalties already lol

Just got the game yesterday, so far I like the art-style and setting. Haven't played too much of the combat to truly get into it though. Can someone explain the point of eliminating the years on your sentence and the penalty of adding more years? I got more then 10 penalties already lol
You'll need to lower your sentence bit by bit to advance the story.

Those penalties in the beginning I thought was to just show you how restricted you are.
Until you unlock stuff.

Prelude.

This happened more in GE than FW to me, honestly. They dodge attacks way better here.

What I'd like them to add is the ability for them to revive you with the thorn from a distance instead of the "stand-near" revive.

Only played for about 20 minutes, based on the first fight and tutorials gameplay is great. Only thing I thought was weird was having to press square or triangle while dashing, which you do by holding X.
Character models look great.

Prelude.

Only played for about 20 minutes, based on the first fight and tutorials gameplay is great. Only thing I thought was weird was having to press square or triangle while dashing, which you do by holding X.
Character models look great.
Yeah, you need to change the control scheme.

zogged

Would anyone be up for tackling some code 8 missions after the Christmas shenanigans are all over and done with? Those missions are borderline impossible to do solo and haven't been able to find a stable multiplayer connection when playing with randoms.

creyas

Leaning toward using ranged weapons because of how much of a chore the controls are. Could have more options like putting something on the back touch - like dash, it's only R or on the face, L is always taken by reset camera. Fff..

e: after playing a few ops in a row i'll probably get used enough to not have em bug me too much, but yeah, should have some customization

Squishy3

Is it me or is the crafting system explained terribly? Seems really obtuse compared to MH to me, especially with how limiting the early game is.

Edit: Yeah, I like the core gameplay... but I don't really like everything else surrounding it. Cool premise, but with you having to do the main story to unlock more missions to do, in addition to everything being spread so far apart in the Panopticon... not really digging it. Would rather things in a smaller more centralized area ala Monster Hunter. Don't think this is going to be something I can sink hundreds of hours into.

Malyse

Is it me or is the crafting system explained terribly? Seems really obtuse compared to MH to me, especially with how limiting the early game is.

Edit: Yeah, I like the core gameplay... but I don't really like everything else surrounding it. Cool premise, but with you having to do the main story to unlock more missions to do, in addition to everything being spread so far apart in the Panopticon... not really digging it. Would rather things in a smaller more centralized area ala Monster Hunter. Don't think this is going to be something I can sink hundreds of hours into.

I generally find everything that's not missions a pain in the ass.

SerTapTap

Finally getting into this after picking it up for $15, easily my favorite "hunting" game so far, quite probably because it's a bit more like a third person shooter with hunting elements moreso than a hunting game. Really enjoy the gameplay and boss designs, not really sure about crafting yet but I've just been ignoring it and using mission drops, they've done me right so far, though I'm only code 3 or 4.

How seamless is multiplayer for story stuff? Do I have to start a new session for each mission?

people

How seamless is multiplayer for story stuff? Do I have to start a new session for each mission?

You can do any/all story mission in co-op mode, provided the lobby allows for it. The Operational Restrictions "Minimum CODE <#>" actually determines the maximum CODE level of the missions that can be selected, so keep that in mind. Also, co-op doesn't become available until or after CODE 2.

Upon completion of a story mission in online/co-op mode, you receive a 'Proof of Non-Failure' which you can use to complete the mission offline. You could complete/get carried through all the story missions online right after you're able to participate in co-op and collect all the Proofs of Non-Failure, if you wish.

Note that you still have to meet all the requirements and do all the inter-mission stuff, including the mission intro and post-screens.

SerTapTap

I think I get it, but I mean you don't have to end the session, rejoin and so on for each multiplayer mission, or can the host just start/finish multiple ones with everyone still in the party?

I think I get it, but I mean you don't have to end the session, rejoin and so on for each multiplayer mission, or can the host just start/finish multiple ones with everyone still in the party?

Everyone goes back to the lobby and the host can start another mission right away.

SerTapTap

Ah, sounds good, thanks. How well does multiplayer balancing work out? Code levels seem like the closest thing to a "level" to compare other players with? What range of code differences is usually reasonable? Like in Borderlands 2 you're basically dead weight if your level is 5 or more below the enemies.

maouvin

Ah, sounds good, thanks. How well does multiplayer balancing work out? Code levels seem like the closest thing to a "level" to compare other players with? What range of code differences is usually reasonable? Like in Borderlands 2 you're basically dead weight if your level is 5 or more below the enemies.

CODE level indeed works as a soft cap because it limits your facilities levels, and you can't get high rank stuff without high level facilities - and while you can work with low level gear, you might take too long to beat things and run out of time.

People can, however, still be useful by drawing aggro or playing a support role healing and reviving.

What you shouldn't take in account regarding someone's skill is their sentence - it's not impossible for someone to reach sub 500k sentence just by being carried along, showing weak performance when the party isn't strong enough to carry him.

SerTapTap

At what point should I be making/modding weapons and...how do I...learn to do that right? I just leveled up my facilities to their cap for the sake of doing such, but otherwise I don't use them much yet. I try not to donate materials unless I have >10 of the same thing since I have no idea what is good/useless. Instead I donate most of the battle items I get because I only really use ammo and grenades.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
How do I find out how many hours I have played in this game?
[Press Start] > Affiliates > Edit Rap Sheet > View Rap Sheet > [Press R]
---
Been grinding on Retribution 103 thanks to save scumming for who knows how long, but I haven't managed to get a single Processed Graphite: UH Purity ;_;

Kev's topic kind of drug me back into FW. My wife is hogging the PS4 playing Tomb Raider, so I may be running co-op Code 6 and up tonight. Check the VitaGAF Google doc or my GAF profile for my PSN.

Add: Or not. I assumed the storm was over when I was able to play online for 20 mins earlier today during lunch, but PSN is shitting itself again.

At what point should I be making/modding weapons and...how do I...learn to do that right? I just leveled up my facilities to their cap for the sake of doing such, but otherwise I don't use them much yet. I try not to donate materials unless I have >10 of the same thing since I have no idea what is good/useless. Instead I donate most of the battle items I get because I only really use ammo and grenades.

No weapon you can make right now will be for keeps - your weapons are still very limited in the number of mods they can have (determined by rarity). You will not be able to make an optimal weapon until after beating the game, and even then it will require materials that take hours of grinding to get.

For now, pick some useful weapons with the highest rarity you can get, and mod them with any disposable weapons you find that have decent mods. Upgrade as many levels as you can - you won't be able to even get close to maxing out weapon levels. If a rare material is required, you may even want to save it for a better weapon.

When you're ready to sink many hours into weapon number crunching and material farming, read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/FreedomWars/wiki/weapon_upgrading

-Horizon-

I'm still early in the game. Only just passed the code 2 exam and beat the first mission after that.

I tried to go back and redo the exam mission myself. Jeeeeeez. That is difficult with only your accessory providing support. Especially since the dang abductor has shields lol. Had to be revived by my accessory twice.

OT, my accessory is so cute x3

Tried to make her look like Kat from Gravity Rush.

I'm still early in the game. Only just passed the code 2 exam and beat the first mission after that.

I tried to go back and redo the exam mission myself. Jeeeeeez. That is difficult with only your accessory providing support. Especially since the dang abductor has shields lol. Had to be revived by my accessory twice.

OT, my accessory is so cute x3

Tried to make her look like Kat from Gravity Rush.

Are you using the red thorn (default one)?

If so, charge the thorn until it turns blue then throw it at the Abductor to keep it vulnerable for a bit while you cut off the shields.

I'd love to play online but....

15926715868_0a0ca31d14_b.jpg

-Horizon-

Are you using the red thorn (default one)?

If so, charge the thorn until it turns blue then throw it at the Abductor to keep it vulnerable for a bit while you cut off the shields.

That's good advice. I forgot you could charge it lol derp on my part > <

Kumubou

This error message made me laugh; it's wonderfully in-context. I can totally see the player character ranting about how it's the year 102014 and PSN still doesn't work right while being dragged back to their cell by their Accessory. -_-;;

leehom

Was in a room with three 2nd class citizens. They owned a bunch of retribution missions for me :)

Can anyone explain to me in barney style how to level up a weapon the best way? I read the faqs about weapon growth and to find one with a late power gain? etc, but I don't understand any of it.

Edgeward

Still in Code 2. Really like what I have played but the pacing is so off. So much walking right now.

How do people deal with the crafting timer?

SerTapTap

I love Mattias' dorky "OKAY!" when adding him to the team.

Getting used to what resources are valuable or not is going to take a while. I just got the Augmentation facilities and feel like I must have trashed plenty of valuable stuff by now.

For now, pick some useful weapons with the highest rarity you can get, and mod them with any disposable weapons you find that have decent mods. Upgrade as many levels as you can - you won't be able to even get close to maxing out weapon levels. If a rare material is required, you may even want to save it for a better weapon.

Thanks. So with modding I just want to mod a base weapon with a junk weapon that already has add-ons I want? That's how it works?

people

How do people deal with the crafting timer?

You can 'Request Citizen Support' to speed up Facility jobs. Depending on the type and quality/class of citizen, you can reduce processing time by 2m30s to 60m. You can obtain/farm Citizens by completing Citizen Reclamation missions.
Or you can let them run while doing something else (like sleeping or eating) since it's a real-time timer.

Thanks. So with modding I just want to mod a base weapon with a junk weapon that already has add-ons I want? That's how it works?

Yes. Unfortunately, no mod is 100% guaranteed to transfer when you do this, and every time there is a chance of existing mods being lost, as well as random mods (including good or bad ones) spontaneously appearing. It's one of the most frustrating design decisions.

It's probably not worth spending materials right now to influence mod transfer - take the best you can get randomly for now. Just keep in mind that many mods are only effective on certain types of weapons (usually common sense).

Modding also transfers a fraction of the weapon's elemental power (although you would have to feed in a lot of weapons to get anywhere close to maxing that out).

Top Bottom