• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

cyborg009

Banned
This wasn't kawaii

B4OPt0LIMAAEVzp.jpg:large

B4OPQGfIMAA_1BQ.jpg:large

satori

Just picked this game up from best buy due to that sweet sale they had a few days ago. I am working the overnight shift, and it appears to be a slow night, not many patients in this ward so time to dive in :)

Doombear

I am Code 8! I had done everything up until unlocking 7-3 pretty much, then just jumped online and did a quick search which tossed me into a group doing 7-5. Had no idea what I was doing, but we made it out with just 2 lives left... whew! COMPLETELY didn't realize that I would get a 'pass' to complete that mission in my story mode, so I did 7-3 and 7-4 and then just used the no fail pass.

Feels great. Now to keep bumping up my Rare 6 guns while I work on creating a Rare 8.

people

If anyone is (desperately) looking for specific Ultra High Quality materials from Retributions, I currently have the following missions available:

• CP100 x3 Ruined Cable UHQ
  • CT101 x6 Ruined Cable/Conductive Coil UHQ
  • GO102 x2 Conductive Coil UHQ
  • FT103 x3 Processed Graphite UHQ
Note that 'drops' are far from guaranteed, but if you are looking for specific materials or sentence reduction let me know. Between timezone differences, schedules and connectivity I'm sure we can sort something out.

Got this game and I must say I am very impressed.

The first 'monster hunter-esque' game I've played and I'm having a ton of fun in it. At Code 3 right now.

DrFurbs

Would anyone recommend this game to someone who'll be looking to mainly play it in singleplayer mode?

I do and I will admit I'm funding it really easy to get into. I'm CODE 6 almost. This game is good. Really good. It's deep too. And making/upgradibg/modifying weapons is fun.

OmegaZero

Got another question for you guys:
Other "hunting" games like Soul Sacrifice and God Eater 2 got a fair amount of additional content after they released. Has there been anything similar released/announced for Freedom Wars yet?

Got another question for you guys:
Other "hunting" games like Soul Sacrifice and God Eater 2 got a fair amount of additional content after they released. Has there been anything similar released/announced for Freedom Wars yet?

I wish. Granted Toukiden didn't really either, but at least it had paid content that was new levels and weapons/armor. Here the paid content is costumes, songs, some gear. I remember the blog stating there was weeks of free content coming and I had hoped for soul sacrifice style content but instead its just consumables.

Mephala

Uhh, so I upgraded my rare 5 Barby once more. The thing went from 800ish to 1000 something. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I was so very wrong. :\

I managed to get a LB Rare 8 Barby but I'm not sure I can even be bothered trying to upgrade it.

I still can't do retributions alone either. :\ And Mr Chains is still an asshole. Previous asshole spider bot is not so much of an issue now. Not even with a Ramosa thing running wild near by.

Soulhouf

Uhh, so I upgraded my rare 5 Barby once more. The thing went from 800ish to 1000 something. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I was so very wrong. :\

I managed to get a LB Rare 8 Barby but I'm not sure I can even be bothered trying to upgrade it.

I still can't do retributions alone either. :\ And Mr Chains is still an asshole. Previous asshole spider bot is not so much of an issue now. Not even with a Ramosa thing running wild near by.

Before building a good weapon, the retribution missions looked impossible alone.
Now that all my AI partners are lv10 and I have a decent Barbara+7 I was able to clear 105 in 15 minutes and without falling even once.
It's amazing how much reward you get when you upgrade your weapon properly.

people

Where/how can I find Heat-Resistant Plating: All-Purpose Mk 1?

4-4, CODE 5 Exam, or 4-7.

I'd suggest 4-7 since the Heat-Resistant abductor will spawn right at the start in sector B2. Also, 4-7 is probably faster to finish and you get to keep some civilians. Alternatively, in 4-4 it's in the second out of four waves. CODE 5 Exam has few (3?) waves with Sinners before abductors spawn.

The plating can drop from the hands, some suggest the ring around its neck too. Cut/shoot off the hands, not the arm. Good luck!

Prelude.

iirc it's from breaking the hands of the elemental abductors, but check this spredsheet. It got a tab listing abductor drops (and several other useful tabs).

4-4, CODE 5 Exam, or 4-7.

I'd suggest 4-7 since the Heat-Resistant abductor will spawn right at the start in sector B2. Also, 4-7 is probably faster to finish and you get to keep some civilians. Alternatively, in 4-4 it's in the second out of four waves. CODE 5 Exam has few (3?) waves with Sinners before abductors spawn.

The plating can drop from the hands, some suggest the ring around its neck too. Cut/shoot off the hands, not the arm. Good luck!
Thanks, it took a while but I found them in 4-4.

OmegaZero

So uh, I guess I own Freedom Wars now. One of my Vita friends just messaged me a code and told me to "try it out ;)" so I registered it and it turned out to be Freedom Wars.
Now I have to get him a Christmas present.

Anyone got any beginner tips? Not sure how much time I want to put into this seeing as I'm also getting into Soul Sacrifice Delta, but I figure I want to at least beat the story mode.

EDIT: Also on a less related note, if I wanted to purchase a digital Vita game code, where would I go?

brau

I want to like this game.. but there is so much in between that gets in the way of playing it. lots of text, lots of go here to do store, and storytelling attached to it. Now i understand they want some immersion, and as a big Monster Hunter fan kinda just want to tackle tasks without the hassle of story getting in the way.

Its more about do missions, get rare parts, make better armor and so on.

Does this get better? last thing i did was open level 3 i think. So more places opened in the HUB. I want to be hyped and convinced to put the time to start enjoying it.

Malyse

I want to like this game.. but there is so much in between that gets in the way of playing it. lots of text, lots of go here to do store, and storytelling attached to it. Now i understand they want some immersion, and as a big Monster Hunter fan kinda just want to tackle tasks without the hassle of story getting in the way.

Does this get better? last thing i did was open level 3 i think. So more places opened in the HUB. I want to be hyped and convinced to put the time to start enjoying it.

Play online. That's what you want to do. No hassle (other than hoping your connection holds up) no waiting (unless the game fails to load)

cyborg009

Banned

Did you unlock quick travel?

brau

Play online. That's what you want to do. No hassle (other than hoping your connection holds up) no waiting (unless the game fails to load)

Is it pretty stable? do i need to do any prepping to go online? i am sure my internet connection should be fine, since i played the other MH clone game.. i forgot the name.

Did you unlock quick travel?

I don't think so. Last unlock i did was to be able to run like 10 seconds. or i get penalized for anything more. so annoying.

baekshi

Banned
Is it pretty stable? do i need to do any prepping to go online? i am sure my internet connection should be fine, since i played the other MH clone game.. i forgot the name.

I don't think so. Last unlock i did was to be able to run like 10 seconds. or i get penalized for anything more. so annoying.
As long as you play within your region, you wont have any problems.

Dont run for long until you get the entitlement. Press Square to quick travel.

Prelude.

As long as you play within your region, you wont have any problems.
I've played with people from all over the world in the last few days and I didn't have any issue. I was pretty surprised by that since I think I read some people complaining about lag or something. Is it the new update?

baekshi

Banned
I've played with people from all over the world in the last few days and I didn't have any issue. I was pretty surprised by that since I think I read some people complaining about lag or something. Is it the new update?
The new update does have loading stability when connecting to room.

Hadnt had problem with that after recent patch.

Or could be that im lucky with room im joining.

Lag still there though.

cyborg009

Banned
Does anyone have the red rage retribution ?

You'll unlock it soon and it will make the game feel extremely better since you can teleport to the story sections.

Doombear

Ok I hope this isn't a stupid question, but it is something I am not 100% clear on. I hit Code 8 using a Rare 6 weapon upgraded to its first Impact Advanced version. So Rare 6, Impact, Level 1. So if I upgrade it now, BEFORE tweaking its 25/25/25/25 Elements (my goal) is that bad?

I am a little confused by this line in the guide I am using:

You could in theory upgrade past level 5 before going to the advanced models, but since the stats reset after the advance model upgrade, you’ be wasting resources in upgrading past 5.

Where am I theoretically going to go Advanced AGAIN if I am already Impact. Do you go 1 to 5, to Impact to 1 to 5 to Advanced Ele?

Does any of this make sense? Does where I am getting confused make sense? Sorry... chances are I will make my self a Rare 8 LB soon anyway and start all over again -.-

Same, I've played with people outside the US that had better connections. It all just depends on the host. At least I've had great luck as long as I've joined rooms with max bars. Haven't been able to play much after the new update, so I can't comment on that.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm thinking of getting this game - is it worth $30 or should I get it on sale?

It is worth 30 bucks. More than enough content for the budget pricing.

But of course, it will be even better with a sale.

One of the surprises of the year for me personally. Enjoyed it more than I should, despite a dodgy beginning.

lupin23rd

I'm up to the CODE 6 exam and had a few questions for you guys.

Should I be manufacturing and upgrading weapons as much as possible at this point? I feel like I'm a little behind in terms of power, as I haven't been doing much of that, although I just tried to go to an advanced model and didn't have any of the resources to upgrade. Any recommendations for weapons at this point?

Also, I noticed I didn't have the trophy for severing an abductor component (which 78% of people do have), and feel like I might be missing something fairly core to the gameplay which is maybe why I'm having some trouble LOL

Is severing limited to special items like Flare Knives, or will melee weapons work, and should I be seeing a prompt or doing something special to make this happen?

people

Ok I hope this isn't a stupid question, but it is something I am not 100% clear on. I hit Code 8 using a Rare 6 weapon upgraded to its first Impact Advanced version. So Rare 6, Impact, Level 1. So if I upgrade it now, BEFORE tweaking its 25/25/25/25 Elements (my goal) is that bad?

I am a little confused by this line in the guide I am using:

You could in theory upgrade past level 5 before going to the advanced models, but since the stats reset after the advance model upgrade, you’ be wasting resources in upgrading past 5

Where am I theoretically going to go Advanced AGAIN if I am already Impact. Do you go 1 to 5, to Impact to 1 to 5 to Advanced Ele?

Does any of this make sense? Does where I am getting confused make sense? Sorry... chances are I will make my self a Rare 8 LB soon anyway and start all over again -.-

A weapon can be upgraded to its Advanced variant only once. In other words, the Advanced variant you choose is permanent. In your case you chose the 'Impact' variant, for example Barbara's Easy Blaster P. You can only upgrade it to level 10, not change it into an elemental variant anymore.

Apart from 'wasted' resources, it's suggested to upgrade to an Advanced model asap for the following reasons:
  • Advanced models have higher stats, ergo are better;
  • Advanced models can have 100 elemental points, non-advanced only 50;
  • Advanced Impact variant can introduce Impact/Stagger to a weapon that doesn't have it initially;
  • Advanced variants come in pretty colours with exotic names.
On the other hand there can be reasons to not chose an Advanced variant at level 5:
  • The "DIY Demon" trophy (upgrade a weapon to level 10) may be easier/faster to obtain, depending on the weapon and your available resources. It most likely reduces the amount of time spent trying to obtain rare materials needed for levels 8-10.
  • 'Cosplaying' as your favourite AI Comrade with their appropriate weapon set. I'm talking about Nina and Shizuka of course.
Note that you can still upgrade/reset a level 10 non-Advanced variant to Advanced level 1.

Should I be manufacturing and upgrading weapons as much as possible at this point?

You will need to continue upgrading to make the upcoming missions easier, but there's no real need to manufacture now since you can't manufacture rarity 8 weapons until you beat the game. Upgrade the highest rarity weapons you find for the time being.

For melee, use whatever has either the highest damage or the highest critical chance in each category. For example, that would be Damascus Knife or Hawkshadow for light melee weapons. For guns, Katzes are good for most situations, but you'll want to have a good Barbara for abductor fights.

Flare knives are just a substitute for light melee weapons, which are much more efficient for severing. To sever, use your thorn to climb onto a severable body part (anything highlighted in red or blue) and start mashing O until the gauge is filled. You will get more materials for upgrading if you sever as many parts as possible before the abductor dies.

lupin23rd

You will need to continue upgrading to make the upcoming missions easier, but there's no real need to manufacture now since you can't manufacture rarity 8 weapons until you beat the game. Upgrade the highest rarity weapons you find for the time being.

For melee, use whatever has either the highest damage or the highest critical chance in each category. For example, that would be Damascus Knife or Hawkshadow for light melee weapons. For guns, Katzes are good for most situations, but you'll want to have a good Barbara for abductor fights.

Flare knives are just a substitute for light melee weapons, which are much more efficient for severing. To sever, use your thorn to climb onto a severable body part (anything highlighted in red or blue) and start mashing O until the gauge is filled. You will get more materials for upgrading if you sever as many parts as possible before the abductor dies.

Thanks! Feel like I skipped through a tutorial or something but at least the game hasn't become less enjoyable because I'm lost heh

Doombear

A weapon can be upgraded to its Advanced variant only once. In other words, the Advanced variant you choose is permanent. In your case you chose the 'Impact' variant, for example Barbara's Easy Blaster P. You can only upgrade it to level 10, not change it into an elemental variant anymore.

Thank you People! I think I understand now, and I understand where I was confused. I am already sitting on a level 1 Advanced Rare 6 weapon. I COULD have upgraded it to level 6+ and not Impact. I didn't. So now I should definitely upgrade it. Thank you!

I think the wording in that guide was a little misleading as the comment about wasted resources was made after the suggestion that you upgrade to Impact and add Elements via fodder. So I assumed it was still taking that in to consideration with the advice that then came next. NOPE! Got it. Thank you for clearing that up.

DeaviL

Banned
I love the game, but god that end mission
(s)
I'll have to do it in Co-op because
the bots are making all the tails release time and time again.

Prelude.

I love the game, but god that end mission
(s)
I'll have to do it in Co-op because
the bots are making all the tails release time and time again.

It's relatively easy once you use the area to your advantage.
When the chains are attacking just go to the entrance, they can't hit you under there unless they start shooting.

Also, they come out in this order: (from the front)
2 3 2
3 X 3
2 1 1

So destroy the boxes accordingly and don't make them respawn.

And Prioritize Revival, yes.

DeaviL

Banned
It's relatively easy once you use the area to your advantage.
When the chains are attacking just go to the entrance, they can't hit you under there unless they start shooting.

Also, they come out in this order: (from the front)
2 3 2
3 X 3
2 1 1

So destroy the boxes accordingly and don't make them respawn.

And Prioritize Revival, yes.

Tried the whole order thing, by the time i got one tail off, half of his life was gone and they all came loose T_T

I am discovering the grand joys have accidentally pissing off three abductors as the same time during a Citizen Rescue mission while human enemies are after me as well.

Prelude.

Tried the whole order thing, by the time i got one tail off, half of his life was gone and they all came loose T_T
Oh well, use the entrance trick anyway. Even if they're going nuts you're mostly (of completely if you use charge 2 defence thorn) safe and you can shoot them down.

I am discovering the grand joys have accidentally pissing off three abductors as the same time during a Citizen Rescue mission while human enemies are after me as well.
Good times.

Fasty

Question. If I didn't really enjoy Soul Sacrifice due to finding battling boss after boss with no exploration or any other kind of gameplay mindless and boring, would I enjoy this? Or is it similar to Soul Sacrifice in that it's just a series of fights with bosses with no actual gameplay in between?

Top Bottom