• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[G-A-F] Christian couple vows to divorce if Same-Sex Marriage is legalized

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Australian couple have vowed to get a divorce, ending their "sacred" ten year union, if the state allows same-sex couples to legally marry.

Nick Jensen and his wife Sarah believe widening the definition of marriage to include same-sex couples threatens the sacred nature of the union and leaves the door open to polygamy.

The Christian couple have been happily married for over a decade, have no intention of separating and hope to have more children. For all intents and purposes they have a healthy marriage.

"My wife and I, as a matter of conscience, refuse to recognise the government's regulation of marriage if its definition includes the solemnisation of same sex couples," said Jensen, who is director of the Lachlan Macquarie Institute, which partners with the Australian Christian Lobby to offer scholarships designed to develop a Christian worldview and foster leaders in government policy.

He also feared that recognising same-sex couples would mean that the definition of marriage could be expanded even further.

"Once you say that marriage is detached from children, [that it's] just about love, then when three people come to the state and say 'well we're all in love', then the state has no grounds, except unjust discrimination, to say why they can't get married," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/christian...ex-marriage-is-legalised-20150610-ghl3o6.html

Bye bitch!

hahahaha

It's because they're both secretly gay, but neither one of them wants to end the arrangement unless they know for a fact that gay marriage is legal. It's actually very prudent!

FuuRe

Divorce is so normal and common that renders this stunt meaningless.

They could have aimed higher to put them on the map, like taking dumps on each other's chests and the like

Just like all those people who said they'd leave the country if Obama was elected...or reelected. All talk and bravado. They won't uproot their comfortable lives and arrangement.

Sephzilla

confused_jackie_chan.jpg

Clearos

I agree with them. Every time a gay couple gets married my marriage suffers.....but only if the news tells me about the marriages otherwise I would have no idea.

E the Shaggy

"If gay marriage, which is destroying the institution of marriage, is legal, then we'll divorce, which is the legal destruction of institutional marriage!"

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Doesn't the same book of the bible (Leviticus) that condemns homosexuality also condemns divorce? Aren't both basically the same level of sin?

"Once you say that marriage is detached from children"

My wife and I haven't had any kids, and don't plan to. Shouldn't this couple already be divorced, since I've already destroyed their definition of marriage?

Corpekata

Banned
Well then they'll get to experience first hand the issues that come with living with a partner that you're not legally married to regarding rights and benefits.

It's probably something where they think that making a vow like this will make people think more about gay rights and stop supporting gay marriage when in reality all it does is make people laugh at them. Bigots gonna bigot. Bet they're the same type of people who get upset and don't understand people whose end goal isn't to get married and have a family.

Chococat

Not true Christians if they believe divorce isn't a sin. Also, many of the Bible heroes were polygamist (Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, etc).

So, in order to combat the "slippery slope" that they see the legalization of same-sex marriage to be, this couple descends into a slippery slope themselves. K.

Couleurs

But don't they know that gay people getting married will lead to gay people getting divorced, so getting divorced themselves is basically like they're showing support for gay marriage?

cameron

elmowtf.jpg

The Christian couple have been happily married for over a decade, have no intention of separating and hope to have more children.

I thought you're not supposed to have kids out of wedlock? If they get divorced, will they stop ruining the gene pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom